Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you working as journalist in the litterary section of an important newspaper? Because it is very well written.
Why thank you very much. I did work for a historical journal at my college, but I never worked for a major newspaper. In fact, I read an actual New York Times Book Review for inspiration.

Chilling and heartbreaking. I like it.
Thank you.

@Bookmark1995: This is so real, so true. I lived my childhood in Communist Romania and I know what I am talking about. Did you live in a Communist dystopia as well?

I never lived under Communist rule, and I am very sorry that you did, @Zagan.

But I am a Jewish American who, through desperately trying to understand the Holocaust, tries to understand why normal people can be coerced into doing the most vile things, whether its in a totalitarian society or an American prison.

The thing about Nazi Germany, and Stalinist Russia is that they were led by men who thought destroying others was good, and made being sadistic a form of career advancement. Yes, a lot of the people who participated in these crimes were the psychos who should have been institutionalized, but even otherwise normal people, like Albert Speer, committed these crimes because these societies taught them that they were serving a higher cause, or just offered career advancement.

This kind of environment, where being a monster benefits you, can exist anywhere. Whether it is in the most brutal drug cartel, the most awful prison in America, a crooked police force, or the most exploitative corporation.

The character of Vinasky was my attempt at showing that exploring why someone who witnessed one mass murder can willingly join another.

Do we condone what Vinasky did? Of course not. Do we forgive the man? That is a hard question. Can you forgive someone who committed torture in Ceausescu's name, Zagan?

The lesson I take is that an atrocity is born by what a society tolerates or encourages. And the way you prevent future atrocities is by building a society where compassion, kindness, and mercy are rewarded. And sadly I believe it will be many a generation before we even come close to that ideal OTL. But if Germany post-1945, and Ceausescu's rapid fall in 1989 are any indication, it is certainly possible.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Can you forgive someone who committed torture in Ceausescu's name, Zagan?
I cannot. Maybe I am not such a good Christian as I like to think of myself. I usually fail to "turn the other cheek".

Maybe I could have forgiven the perpetrators if the victims were people I did not personally know. But this was sadly not the case. At least two of my greatuncles were viciously tortured for years in the infamous Pitesti Reeducation Prison. One of them died shortly after being realeased. No, I will not forget anyone. The atrocities told by my relatives during my childhood are still haunting me to this day.

Probably that is the reason why I can relate to the similar unjust suffering of other fellow human beings (either real people or story characters) while the reaction to the Holocaust of the average Romanian is: "Meh, thank God it did not happen to us!" But these are usually the Romanians who do not have a first account memory of unspeakable atrocities.

I cannot. Maybe I am not such a good Christian as I like to think of myself. I usually fail to "turn the other cheek".

Maybe I could have forgiven the perpetrators if the victims were people I did not personally know. But this was sadly not the case. At least two of my greatuncles were viciously tortured for years in the infamous Pitesti Reeducation Prison. One of them died shortly after being realeased. No, I will not forget anyone. The atrocities told by my relatives during my childhood are still haunting me to this day.

Probably that is the reason why I can relate to the similar unjust suffering of other fellow human beings (either real people or story characters) while the reaction to the Holocaust of the average Romanian is: "Meh, thank God it did not happen to us!" But these are usually the Romanians who do not have a first account memory of unspeakable atrocities.

I'm not asking you to forgive anyone. I have no right to tell you too. You have every right to be angry.

But never forget that you, like any other person, can be convinced by society to do something horrific.

OTL, the Russians got tired of living under the tsar, but these righteous revolutionaries decided to kill everybody who oppose their wishes, creating an even worse tyranny. ITTL, they've created the greatest nightmare humanity has ever known.

You don't have to forgive those maniacs who killed members of your family, but understand that they are just as human as you, gullible and manipulated, and if you forget that, you can find yourself doing something terrible too without realizing it.

No Gods, No Masters
No Gods, No Masters

Excerpt from Grey Eminence: The Life of Mikhail Suslov by Konstantin Chernakov​

Agricultural issues, including famine, had plagued the USSR since the beginning, so it is fitting that the August Revolution was the result of a horrible harvest. The harvest of 1966 had not been very good[1], and by the summer of 1967 it was clear that an even worse harvest was underway. The winter and spring had been abnormally hot and dry, resulting in a severe decrease both in volume and quality of the winter wheat crop. The situation was not helped by the wave of agricultural strikes that had hit the Soviet Union in the winter of 1966-1967. Fearing famine, the government took another fateful step: it began diverting the grain crop towards human rather than animal consumption. For years the Soviet state had diverted a large portion of the grain crop to livestock feed in an effort to keep meat prices low. While this averted famine this measure meant that meat, already a scarce commodity, virtually vanished from Soviet stores. But even though famine was averted there were still problems. To understand the main problem one has to understand the nature of the Soviet economy. In a capitalist system a bad harvest might mean a rise in food prices, but Soviet prices largely stayed the same regardless of supply. The reason was that the Soviets spent a huge amount (up to 4% of the GDP) subsidizing the agricultural sector, ensuring low bread prices. The Soviet leadership figured that as long as they could provide cheap bread they would maintain order. A side effect of this policy was that it artificially inflated demand, and due to the bad harvests of 1966/67 the Soviets simply could not produce enough to meet that demand[2]. Suddenly bread became scarce across the Soviet Union, creating a situation where the stores ran out of bread by the afternoon and those in the back of the lines went home empty handed.

Excerpt from The August Revolution by Timothy Snyder​

The final straw came when the authorities announced the reintroduction of rationing, which had been ended in 1947. Back then of course the USSR was recovering from World War II, but now the government had no explanation for the rationing other than vague statements about the “troubled international situation.” The main response was panic (rumors quickly spread that famine or war were on the way), followed by anger. For many rationing represented everything they had come to hate about the Soviet government, from the failures to bring prosperity to the repression that held them down. Things came to a head on August 15th, when workers from the Moscow Metallurgical Plant, the ZiS Car Manufacturing Plant, the Tikhonov Meat Processing Plant[3], and the Moscow Oil Refinery staged strikes to protest rationing. The strikes quickly turned into a march on Red Square, with thousands of workers taking to the streets. Many housewives and grandmothers joined, which is unsurprising considering that they were often the ones who had to deal with food collection firsthand. The army and MGB were called in to break up the protests. It is at this point that something amazing happened: a large number of soldiers refused to fire on the protestors. Several explanations have been proposed for why this occurred. The most popular is that by August 1967 army morale had hit a low point, with the soldiers sick of both the wars in Eastern Europe and having to constantly put down protests at home. As one soldier later put it “We had come to realize that we were the tools of oppression.” There had also been limited mutinies before, which some scholars take as an indicator that the army was coming apart. Whatever the reasons the Soviet authorities now faced a crisis, and they dealt with it the same way they dealt with most other crises: brute force. The MGB, militsiya[4], and non-mutinying soldiers were ordered to stop the mutineers, using however much force was needed to achieve this goal. It was at this point that the mutiny spread throughout the army. Even those soldiers who were willing to kill civilians found themselves unwilling to kill their comrades-in-arms. The mutiny also turned violent, since the soldiers realized that by refusing to follow orders they were effectively condemning themselves to death should the Soviet authorities win.

Violence swept through Moscow. The streets became a battleground between mutinying soldiers and protesters (often armed with rifles looted from armories) on one side and the MGB, militsiya, and non-mutinying soldiers on the other. The Soviet authorities called up more army units from across the Moscow Military District, only to see most of them join with the rebels. After four days of fighting the rebels’ superior numbers and morale turned the tide in their favor. On the 19th rebel tanks shelled the Lubyanka Building, forcing the MGB to surrender their headquarters. By that point most of the city was in rebel hands, with only the area around the Kremlin remaining under government control. Realizing that help wasn’t going to come on the 21st the forces around the Kremlin surrendered in exchange for amnesty. In all around 5000 people were killed during the Battle of Moscow.

Excerpt from Strange Days: the August Revolution and Its Aftermath by Claude Summers​

The fall of Moscow was an extraordinary event, but it would have meant nothing had events only been confined to that city. Despite the best efforts of the government news of the events spread across the country, although at first the news was only that there were large protests that had turned violent in Moscow. In response to this news people in the cities of Leningrad, Smolensk, and Sverdlovsk took to the streets. Like the protestors in Moscow their main issue was rationing, and like the Moscow protestors they were met with force (although the government, having learned their lesson from Moscow, sent only the MGB in). That should have been the end of it, but then on August 17th the rebels captured the Radio Moscow headquarters. The Soviets were caught off guard, having figured that the building would hold out for far longer, and thus hadn’t jammed radio signals or destroyed the station. This allowed the rebels to broadcast several messages, allowing people outside of the Moscow area to know what was happening for the first time. The public believed these messages in large part because the Soviets had imposed martial law throughout the country, something that wouldn’t have happened if something serious wasn’t going on.

The response was swift and severe, with thousands in Smolensk, Leningrad, Gorky, and other cities in north and central Russia taking to the streets. They were joined by soldiers and sailors, many of whom shared the opinions of their comrades in Moscow. From these bases the revolution spread, until cities across the Soviet Union were in revolt. By the start of September the rebels controlled most of north and central Russia, most Siberia (the Yenisei River is generally agreed by scholars to be the approximate edge of their control), and a large chunk of the Urals (namely the cities of Sverdlovsk, Perm, and Chelyabinsk). Independence-minded rebels controlled most of the territory in SSRs outside of Belarus and Central Asia. The stage was set for the Second Russian Civil War.

[1] IOTL the harvest of 1966 was very good, but agricultural problems and climate changes from the use of over a dozen nuclear weapons changes that.
[2] IOTL this problem was solved by importing grain from the US. Of course ITTL that's not an option.
[3] Originally called the Mikoyan Meat Processing Plant, and after his execution changed to the Khrushchev Meat Processing Plant, and then given its current name after his execution.
[4] The civilian police force of the USSR.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

dfa.jpg

No Gods, No Masters

Awesome.:love:

Also, I noticed that the same thing happened here that occurred during the lead up to the February Revolution: the Soviets/Tsar order the soldiers to fire upon the protestors and not only they refuse but actually join the protestors.

I am pretty sure, however, that you did this on purpose.

[1] IOTL the harvest of 1966 was very good, but agricultural problems and climate changes from the use of over a dozen nuclear weapons changes that.
Speaking of climate change, how will this affect the enviromentalist movement?

Last edited:
Considering the fact that the Stalin was willing to carpetbomb the entirety of China just to fulfill a petty grudge against Mao, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two Russian cities go up in nuclear flames.

With the Second Russian Civil War happening, it's practically the perfect time for the United States to go on a massive rollback campaign against communism across the world. The United States isn't committed in Vietnam yet so they are still at Korean War level strength and the public should be very gun-ho and jingoistic without the quagmire that was Southeast Asia. With the USSR distracted by its own self-implosion, Knowland should use this chance to send the U.S, ANZAC, and NATO on a global crusade to combat communism. North Korea should be the first targeted for an invasion as Mao's China no longer exists, there are two few strategic places in Siberia for the Soviets to care, and South Korea has a pretty strong millitary on their own so they should be roughly okay with minimum U.S support. Next is North Vietnam as Ho Chi Minh never received the support he had OTL and Diem's government is still going strong. The Vietnamese people may be strongly anticommunist now due to the horrors of the Sino-Soviet War and the massive refugees from Communist China. Laos could also be taken over with cooperation from Taiwan or ROC. Yugoslavia could probably brought into the fold. The various African and Middle Eastern countries on Soviet influence could also get overthrown in coups or be invaded by U.S allies. Also I think the Pentagon would be planning for an invasion of Eastern Europe to liberate the Warsaw Pact from the Soviet Union.

But first you must target these three: 1.North Korea 2.North vietnam3.Laos

No Gods, No Masters

So, where are the Soviet government at this point? Some city? Some constantly moving train or something?

Wouldn't want to be an Occupational Russian Soldier in the Warsaw Pact by now, since every moderately intelligent rebel will go full out knowing they'll never get this opportunity again.

I presume the Nukes are still controlled by the Loyalists?

No Gods, No Masters

Excerpt from Grey Eminence: The Life of Mikhail Suslov by Konstantin Chernakov​

Agricultural issues, including famine, had plagued the USSR since the beginning, so it is fitting that the August Revolution was the result of a horrible harvest. The harvest of 1966 had not been very good[1], and by the summer of 1967 it was clear that an even worse harvest was underway. The winter and spring had been abnormally hot and dry, resulting in a severe decrease both in volume and quality of the winter wheat crop. The situation was not helped by the wave of agricultural strikes that had hit the Soviet Union in the winter of 1966-1967. Fearing famine, the government took another fateful step: it began diverting the grain crop towards human rather than animal consumption. For years the Soviet state had diverted a large portion of the grain crop to livestock feed in an effort to keep meat prices low. While this averted famine this measure meant that meat, already a scarce commodity, virtually vanished from Soviet stores. But even though famine was averted there were still problems. To understand the main problem one has to understand the nature of the Soviet economy. In a capitalist system a bad harvest might mean a rise in food prices, but Soviet prices largely stayed the same regardless of supply. The reason was that the Soviets spent a huge amount (up to 4% of the GDP) subsidizing the agricultural sector, ensuring low bread prices. The Soviet leadership figured that as long as they could provide cheap bread they would maintain order. A side effect of this policy was that it artificially inflated demand, and due to the bad harvests of 1966/67 the Soviets simply could not produce enough to meet that demand[2]. Suddenly bread became scarce across the Soviet Union, creating a situation where the stores ran out of bread by the afternoon and those in the back of the lines went home empty handed.

That is an excellent lesson in economics right there. ITTL, the Soviet famine might even be a good lesson in an economics textbook. Did you ever take a class?

[2] IOTL this problem was solved by importing grain from the US. Of course ITTL that's not an option.

[3] Originally called the Mikoyan Meat Processing Plant, and after his execution changed to the Khrushchev Meat Processing Plant, and then given its current name after his execution.
[4] The civilian police force of the USSR.

This has got to be the best example of the chickens coming home to roost for Stalin's supporters. Their nuclear war with China destroyed their climate, and their willingness to bend to Stalin's genocidal whims means the US won't be selling them any wheat any time soon.

Yep, Russian history repeated itself. Suslov and the other apparatchiks forgot a very important lesson: in the modern era, your psychotic goons maybe eager to go after protesters, but your less insane foot soldiers will not be so eager to fire on their countrymen. If ethnic revolts are a cancer for the Soviet regime, a military mutiny is like a stroke.

Although I wouldn't celebrate just yet. A Russian Civil War may sound cathartic after all the evils committed by the reds, but the reality is a lot of famine and bloodshed. And a potentially large amount of nukes that could be detonated by both sides.

Quick question: Are Ukrainians beginning to revolt against the Soviet state, considering they are probably experiencing Holodomor 2: Electric Bugaloo?

North Korea is occupied by the Soviets (although a Russian pull-out is conceivable), Laos is still non-Communist, and North Vietnam isn't all that friendly with the Kremlin. Honestly, the Soviets have done a terrific job in making sure there is no domino effect for America to exploit, simply by making no dominoes in the first place.

The Soviets are simply too evil to ally with at this point unless you're their slave state. Unless America are pretty much just using this as an excuse to effectively knock out any little country they don't like, there really is no comparison to the Soviets of OTL 1970, when they had a large strain of support all across the Third World. Best thing for America to do is fund the hell out of the Eastern European rebels while the Soviets are distracted, and ready up the missiles in case the Reds want to go out in a blaze of glory.

Last edited:

Ryan

Donor
Considering the fact that the Stalin was willing to carpetbomb the entirety of China just to fulfill a petty grudge against Mao, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one or two Russian cities go up in nuclear flames.

that was Stalin though, and there's quite a difference between nuking an enemy state and nuking yourself.

Wouldn't want to be an Occupational Russian Soldier in the Warsaw Pact by now, since every moderately intelligent rebel will go full out knowing they'll never get this opportunity again.

If a civil war breaks out, the Soviets are probably going to withdraw from Eastern Europe, seeing as they need every soldier they can. At which point, the Warsaw Pact will crumble into dust, as Eastern Europeans tear apart the remaining communist apparatus in their country

However, I imagine quite a few Soviet soldiers may either join the rebellion, or simply defect to a Western country after so much pointless bloodshed.

that was Stalin though, and there's quite a difference between nuking an enemy state and nuking yourself.
Desperation is a powerful force. Besides Suslov didn't care about achieving communism even if it meant poor living standards. Seeing everything fall down around him could push him over the edge.

With the USSR distracted by its own self-implosion, Knowland should use this chance to send the U.S, ANZAC, and NATO on a global crusade to combat communism. North Korea should be the first targeted for an invasion as Mao's China no longer exists, there are two few strategic places in Siberia for the Soviets to care, and South Korea has a pretty strong millitary on their own so they should be roughly okay with minimum U.S support. Next is North Vietnam as Ho Chi Minh never received the support he had OTL and Diem's government is still going strong. The Vietnamese people may be strongly anticommunist now due to the horrors of the Sino-Soviet War and the massive refugees from Communist China. Laos could also be taken over with cooperation from Taiwan or ROC. Yugoslavia could probably brought into the fold. The various African and Middle Eastern countries on Soviet influence could also get overthrown in coups or be invaded by U.S allies. Also I think the Pentagon would be planning for an invasion of Eastern Europe to liberate the Warsaw Pact from the Soviet Union.

I think that Eastern Europe and Manchuria are on top priority- especially considering that Eastern Europe is already on revolt and the KMT is on the verge of military victory. I am sure that soon West German tanks will drive through the border and crush the East German forces and re-unify Germany through brute strenght.

Quick question: Are Ukrainians beginning to revolt against the Soviet state, considering they are probably experiencing Holodomor 2: Electric Bugaloo?
They're always revolting.

Oh wait, you mean as in revolution.... Yeah, probably.

Not going to happen. Nuking a enemy is one thing. Nuking your own turf? Big no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.