Turtledove's Historical Fiction

How good are Harry Turtledove's historical fiction works? He appears to have done a series on sea traders in the Hellenistic era and an I, Claudius style book on Justinian's life.

Jasen777

Donor
The Hellenistic era books are fairly good, but they are best enjoyed by taking a long break between books. Each book will give recaps of the previous books and they are a bit repetitive besides that (brothers having the same argument over and other, etc).

The title of the Justinian book is Justinian, and it is about Justinian II. It's not bad but it's a bit slow imo.

Give Me Back My Legions! Is about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest and basically the German characters spend 3/4 of the book having the same argument about rather to accept Roman rule.

I don't think he's written about Claudius.

Although an individual ISOT and not historical fiction, I'd highly recommend Household Gods.

I'd recommend at least the first of the Hellenistic Traders series if you're interested in the era--the later ones are a little repetitive. I read Justinian a long time ago, and about all I remember is that Turtledove does a pretty good job of portraying the title character as a ruthless SOB. It's definitely a bit darker than the Trader books.

Some of his work, such as the Hellenic Trader's saga is actually very good. Others, such as The War That Came Early is very bad; if one were to wipe their arse after taking a dump, they would find greater literary merit in the feces-stained toilet paper that in that series.

Some of his work, such as the Hellenic Trader's saga is actually very good. Others, such as The War That Came Early is very bad; if one were to wipe their arse after taking a dump, they would find greater literary merit in the feces-stained toilet paper that in that series.

The War That Came Early is alternate history.