Tunguska hits Tampa/St. Petersburg :)

July 30, 1908: a ten megaton airburst flattens the sleepy beachside town of St. Petersburg, Florida. Tampa and Ybor City are also destroyed, taking out a fourth of America's cigar manufacturing capacity, and the port of Tampa (which handled a substantial portion of the nation's phospate exports).

Thoughts?

hmmm... Tampa Bay Meteors sports team, anyone? :D

That would be like a Japanese baseball team being named the "Nagasaki Mushroom Clouds," or an American team being the "San Fransisco Earthquakes." Who wants to be named after an event that killed thousands or millions?

That would be like a Japanese baseball team being named the "Nagasaki Mushroom Clouds," or an American team being the "San Fransisco Earthquakes." Who wants to be named after an event that killed thousands or millions?

You've got the Miami Hurricanes and the Iowa State Cyclones; it's not entirely unheard of.

You've got the Miami Hurricanes and the Iowa State Cyclones; it's not entirely unheard of.

I suppose, but an asteroid strike that wipes out a city is worse than a hurricane or tropical storm. A team with the name "Meteors" is something I could see, but not from a city which was wiped out by said. Hence the Japanese example.

You have the San Jose Earthquakes - there have been deaths from earthquakes in the area; plus, I think it is possible, it would just be an interesting twist on the whole Washington Redskins / Atlanta Braves / etc type thing, where a name works but seems iffy.

I guess that's not what was meant by the question though...could this lead to more of an interest in astronomy, and maybe a jump into a NASA-stlye program (with the first 'space ship" being called the Tampa Bay?)?