Trying to Please Everyone: Or Converting multiple Pop Culture Utopias into a Timeline.

I’ve been on a nuclear war film binge recently, so I’ve got some more questions to ask. What happens to these films?
- The Day After
- Threads
- When The Wind Blows
- WarGames
- The War Game

- The Day After
Did not air on ABC, Brandon Smith workin for another company at the time. As a result the film is not toned down at all and several scenes delected are now included, makiing the film so much more horrifying. This includes ery graphic and very accurate shots of what happens to a human body during a nuclear blast. Examples included people being set on fire, their flesh carbonizing, being burned to the bone, eyes melting, faceless heads, skin hanging, deaths from flying glass and debris, limbs torn off, being crushed, blown from buildings by the shockwave, and people in fallout shelters suffocating during the firestorm. The fictional town of Hampton, Kansas is used instead of Lawrence, Kanses.

- Threads
Known by its OTL working title Beyond Armageddon. Is still praised by critics though is less seen as without The War Game being banned previously, there is less fueling the need to see this film.

- When The Wind Blows
Is largely same as OTL though the animated film is a bit shorter, which removes some pacing problems.

- WarGames
Called the Genius OTL. The Film's original idea is used in that the protagonist is the student of the scientist character(played here by John Lennon, who expressed interest before his murder). The Supercomputer is named Uncle Ollie ITTL(or Omnipresent Laser Interceptor). This is due to the originally idea of it being a space laser. While rejected OTL for being farfetched ITTL there's been a push towards space Exploration due to the Presidencies of Humphrey, Reagan and Glenn.

- The War Game
Was released in theatres fully in 1965, having been completed a little earlier and specifically released on the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing. OTL the Wilson government restricted it until a 1985 release.

- The Day After
Did not air on ABC, Brandon Smith workin for another company at the time. As a result the film is not toned down at all and several scenes delected are now included, makiing the film so much more horrifying. This includes ery graphic and very accurate shots of what happens to a human body during a nuclear blast. Examples included people being set on fire, their flesh carbonizing, being burned to the bone, eyes melting, faceless heads, skin hanging, deaths from flying glass and debris, limbs torn off, being crushed, blown from buildings by the shockwave, and people in fallout shelters suffocating during the firestorm. The fictional town of Hampton, Kansas is used instead of Lawrence, Kanses.
Good stuff. Hopefully this makes TDA more appreciated.

- Threads
Known by its OTL working title Beyond Armageddon. Is still praised by critics though is less seen as without The War Game being banned previously, there is less fueling the need to see this film.
I think Threads works better but I digress. While it’s a shame the film won’t be as popular compared to OTL, I could imagine it might gain a cult following and boost in popularity sometime in the 2010s.

- When The Wind Blows
Is largely same as OTL though the animated film is a bit shorter, which removes some pacing problems.
I think the longer scenes at the begging were meant to ground us into the lives of the couple, but that’s fair.

- WarGames
Called the Genius OTL. The Film's original idea is used in that the protagonist is the student of the scientist character(played here by John Lennon, who expressed interest before his murder). The Supercomputer is named Uncle Ollie ITTL(or Omnipresent Laser Interceptor). This is due to the originally idea of it being a space laser. While rejected OTL for being farfetched ITTL there's been a push towards space Exploration due to the Presidencies of Humphrey, Reagan and Glenn.

- The War Game
Was released in theatres fully in 1965, having been completed a little earlier and specifically released on the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing. OTL the Wilson government restricted it until a 1985 release.
No particular comment on both of these other than they’re good and interesting.

That is a plan to happen ITTL with Universal taking a different approach. Not making big budget action movies but Low Budget Horror Movies of their Monsters given to up and coming Horror movie Directors. Robbert Eggers, the director of the Witch, directing a Frankenstein period piece which is told from the perspective of a villager. who hears but doesn't believe the rumors of the scientist robbing bodies until his daughter is killed by the scientist's Monster. He forms an angry mob to hunt it down but realizes too late the Monster is a victim of the mad scientist as well. The Shape of Water being an actual Creature from the Black Lagoon Movie, with a connection to the Cthulhu mythos via The Shadow over Innsmouth. Mike Flannagan, director of Hush, directing the Invisible Man. Jordan Peele directing the Wolfman move, with a black Wolfman. Imagine something similar to the Sunken Place scenes from Get Out but actually about the Wolf Man's human identity(Who is black in the film)being helpless as he watches his Wolf form murder people.
Re-visiting on Universal Monsters, would this mean that the 2004 Van Helsing film would be butterflied away as well as The Mummy Returns and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?

Re-visiting on Universal Monsters, would this mean that the 2004 Van Helsing film would be butterflied away as well as The Mummy Returns and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?
Van Helsing needs some work on the script and a reduction of the number of CGI shots.
Same with Mummy Returns
Tomb or the Dragon Emperor needs to have Rachel Weisz return or not make the film , and need to stay in Egypt to wrap up the Trilogy .

The ideas used in Dragon Emperor could make a good movie but create some new characters and do not tie it to the Mummy Films .

Van Helsing would be butterflied away as it would likely be a later film in the Cinematic Universe. Like how Marvel set up a Supervillain in Thanos to fight all the heroes. Universal would set up a hero to fight all the villains. The Mummy Returns would probably have a different ending, averting the bad cgi. While Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is possibly. Butterflied away.

Van Helsing would be butterflied away as it would likely be a later film in the Cinematic Universe. Like how Marvel set up a Supervillain in Thanos to fight all the heroes. Universal would set up a hero to fight all the villains. The Mummy Returns would probably have a different ending, averting the bad cgi. While Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is possibly. Butterflied away.
What about the scrapped fourth Mummy film? Would it not exist ITTL?

Life of Reilly: A Look at the Clone Saga(1994)

Before my overhaul of Marvel Comics in the 1990's, I needed to tackle the Clone Saga. Its success or failure at that crucial time shaped whether the company would survive or go under.

Life of Reilly: A Look at The Clone Saga

08-Original-Clone-Saga.jpg
The roots of the Clone Saga took shape in The Amazing Spider-Man #149 (1975). In that story, the villain the Jackal had cloned Spider-Man. The two fought before deciding they were on the same side. An explosion appeared to kill the clone. Spider-Man then destroyed the clone's body in a smokestack to prevent his identity from being discovered. Another clone, one of Gwen Stacy, escaped and disappeared into the night. Parker for awhile wondered if he was real or the clone. In What if issue #30, the Clone was brought back in a story titled "What if Spider-Man's Clone had lived?". The Story had the Spider-Man clone and the real Spider-Man making deals about how they could live as one person. Living in the same apartment and taking turns being Spider-Man. The Clone marries the clone of Gwen Stacy and Peter marries Mary Jane.
wif30-5.jpg
In the 90's, Spider-Man had taken a darker turn following the death of his best friend Harry Osborn. Harry had also orchestrated a plan involving robot duplicates of Peter's parents with the aid of the Chameleon. Spider-Man began to mope around for awhile. To make matters worse, Aunt May fell into a coma and Peter and MJ's relationship became even more strained. There was already setup that a mysterious person would enter Peter's life.

"It was Terry Kavanagh's idea to bring the Clone Back at a story conference in 93'. I was an assistant editor and we did the "Return of the Parents" storyline and the high ups wanted their own "Death of Superman" or "Knightfall". Terry didn't want to say his idea. He dismissed it before he said it because he thought it was stupid but we all wanted to hear it. Nothing was out of bounds. Terry finally said the idea we all groaned. Then J.M Dematteis started to pitch ideas for it and we all go excited about it. The editors weren't sure and Tom DeFalco thought it was stupid. Then he ended up deciding to write it himself. DeFalco planned out the whole thing to end by Amazing Spider-Man #400, which it did, concluding with Ben Reilly as the new Spider-Man.
Web_of_Spider-Man_117.jpg
The Spectacular Spider-Man #216 (Sept 1994), was written by Tom DeFalco and Todd Dezago and illustrated by Sal Buscema, The issue had Peter see Spider-Man outside and run to the roof to confront the Spider-Man imposter. While newer readers were confused, the older ones knew the Clone had returned.

"I admit the office didn't say a word, but finally I got Mark Bernardo to spill the beans to me about all the stuff that was going on with the Mysterious stranger. He told me the Clone was coming back and honestly I was skeptical. It was a terrible idea but he said that they had a plan for it. The Fan part of me was screaming to let the clone stay dead. The Marvel editor part saw it as a chance to write Spider-Man out of the marriage without having to sell my soul to Mephisto."
-Joe Quesada​

"Power and Responsibility" was the arc that first dealt with the clone and gave his backstory and what he'd been doing all this time written by JM Dematteis. He had woken up in a smokestack, confused and tried to go see Aunt May before realizing he was a clone. He decided he had to make a new life. Then a new character named Judas Traveller took over Ravencroft Asylum in order to lure Spider-Man to him.

"No one, writers, editors, no one, knew what the hell the deal was with Judas Traveller. J.M. Dematteis had plans for him though. Honestly that kind of supernatural character doesn't fit in Spider-Man's world. That's why we turned down Mephisto appearing in the series too. That was Quesada's idea."

Traveller's challenge is he will kill the inmates if Spider-Man doesn't come, but if Spider-Man defeats Traveller he will free them. What he doesn't know is there are two Spider-Man and so they form a team. Part two in Amazing Spider-Man #394 by JM DeMatteis and illustrated by Mark Bagley and Larry Mahlstedt. The two Spider-Men fought their way through their enemies while Peter fights Traveller, who speaks to a mysterious figure known as Scrier. Traveller casts illusions that make Peter fight his clone, thinking he's a hallucination. The clone channels the fan reaction to the more aggressive Spider-Man, talking about how Peter has changed. He's not the same person. He used to be fun. He used to tell jokes. Traveller released the inmates, forcing the two Spider-Man to stop their fight and team up to defeat villains like Carnage. Peter nearly kills an inmate in his rage and realizes how far he's fallen. Traveller escapes in the chaos and he is revealed to be none other than Mysterio.

"Yeah, J.M. Matteis was furious. To explain, someone else was writing the issue and didn't explain the plan beforehand, so here he was starting the whole saga of who is Judas Traveller and the next writer up and reveals he was Mysterio the whole time. Matteis did end up doing more with him when he wrote Spawn for a bit and honestly he was used much better there. Matteis turned him into the literal Judas and made him an antagonist to Spawn that even was able to rip Al Simmons out of the Spawn persona at will. If I remember he ended up being killed by the six pieces of silver he originally betrayed Jesus for being melted down into Silver bullets used to kill him."
-Todd McFarlane​

After the arc, two Spider-Man titles were created, The Amazing Spider-Man following Peter and the Spectacular Spider-Man following Ben. Ben Reilly picked a fight with Venom, not knowing that Venom and Peter Parker had put aside their rivalry as Venom was not evil, only hating Spider-Man. Ben was not aware of this and does not believe Peter would make a deal with a villain and attacks Venom, leading to a fight. This is the first battle of Ben's career as the true Spider-Man(unlike OTL he is wearing the classic Spider-Man suit). Ben lost the first fight, being seriously injured but then went back to the drawing board, developed new web shooters and a plan to take down Venom which just barely worked, ending in Ben and Venom collapsing next to each other, both defeated, then Ben got up. It was the proof that Ben was a worthy successor, defeating one of Peter's most dangerous enemies.

And for better or for worse that was the status quo for 17 years, Peter Parker enjoyed his life with his family, moving elsewhere, still occasionally jumping in as Spider-Man, while Ben lived out his solo adventures in the Big Apple. Both Spider-Men would find successors to continue their legacy.
Spider-Girl_Vol_1_0-min.jpg

Whst will happen to Assassins Creed, Red Dead, Saints Row, and Simcity ITTL?
Assassin's Creed keeps Rosa as a love interest to Ezio due to her actress, Lita Tresierra surviving her OTL car crash. The game also has an entry in Feudal Japan in the 1600s., and an American Revolution set game that is a lot better.

Red Dead Revolver was released by Capcom as an Arcade game style third person shooter about a cowboy fighting supernatural forces and gaining some abilities such as flight(OTL the game was cancelled then the rights bought by Rockstar Games). The game has a pretty niche fanbase, leading to the protagonist appearing in Street Fighter V as DLC(similar to Erron Black in Mortal Kombat X). Rockstar made its own cowboy centered series under an alternate title. It should also be mentioned Grand Theft Auto ITTL fleshed out the Cops and Robbers theme of the original, making it as fun to play a cop and giving the game more of a PvP gameplay style. This translated into the alternate Red Dead Redemption as well, making it a Lawmen and Outlaws type game.

The first Saint Row has the protagonist gang wear green. It was also released on more consoles. Saint Row 2 is a prequel set in the 70's showing Julius and King rising to power with Playa surviving the explosion. Saints Row: Money Shot was actually made. Saint Row: The Third has freegunning which is basically Assassin's Creed freerunning and a DLC: Enter the Dominatrix, which is a parody of the Matrix. It also killed off Tobias and Laura. Saints Row IV had more dead characters returning. Saints Row Undercover was a PSP Port of Saints Row 2.

Not much to say on Sim City, only that a certain infamous game is playable without a paywall due to not being made by EA.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls(2013-2019)
I may have gone too far in making a spinoff to a Girl's TV Show set in High School a bit edgy. Oh Well.Nothing here goes beyond what kids show's of the era hadn't already done. I chose to do this because it was a pretty good break between doing all of My Little Pony in one go. This way I can saw, "Oh yeah there was this spinoff", and then finish the rest later.

images.jpg

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls was created in response to large amounts of fanarts imagining the cast of My Little Pony Adventures as humans. The term Equestria Girls also became popular following the release of a parody of Katy Perry's California Girls. The series had also moved from the Hub to Discovery Kids, which supported the release of a new spinoff which would be wholly original to them.​

Films

A TV movie was released titled Equestria girls. The Premise revolved around a Ceremony at the Crystal Palace shortly after Twilight's coronation. Celestia reveals her old apprentice Sunset Shimmer would be visiting. Twilight responds to the name with shock and explains to the other members of the Mane Six. Sunset Shimmer and Twilight were Celestia's students together and got along somewhat. Despite Sunset Shimmer being somewhat of a bully, Twilight looked up to her like a big sister. It is revealed Sunset disappeared after an argument with Celestia but was believed to have vanished into a portal.

When Sunset does emerge from the portal they seem much more calm, claiming to have learned their lesson as they told Celestia in a letter sent by Flash Sentry, a knight that Celestia sent to keep an eye on her by Celestia. That night a thief steals Twilight's crown and she is awoken by a guard noticing the thief and giving chase. Twilight pulls off the thief's cloak and reveals them as Sunset, who flees back into the portal. Without thinking, Twilight gives chase immediately with her friends following. Twilight finds herself in a world similar to our own, but inhabited by human versions of the cast. It is also discovered that the Human versions of the protagonists are actually superheroes(minus Twilight's who is absent), subverting the expected trope of turning the franchise into High School drama series like the recent Monster High(which was now being countered by a series adaptation of the adult humor parody game Monster Prom) and Ever After High among others. Many saw this as a shallow effort to sell toys, even if the costumes themselves were well received. Sunset is introduced as the Supervillain of the story with a role and abilities compared to the X-Men's Dark Phoenix(Though unlike OTL, Jean Grey has stayed dead, which someone dampens this as a criticism). Their main plan appears to use the Element of Magic, embedded into Twilight's crown to channel their power and find a way to bring the full extent of their abilities into Equestria and takeover that world and gain revenge on Celestia.

While the Mane Six interact with their Superhero counterparts, they themselves learn to master their own abilities, leading to a final battle in which Sunset Shimmer is defeated and depowered. Twilight speaks to Sunset, who surrenders and appears to be emotionally broken from their defeat, being taken into custody(rather than the OTL quick seeming redemption).

The Second Made for TV film was much more well received, released a season later. The film introduced new antagonists in the Dazzlings, Sirens which were imprisoned in the human world centuries ago by the Equestrian Wizard Starswirl the Bearded. The trio witnessed the final battle of the last film and formulate a plan to absorb more magic and regain their abilities. While Twilight is called back to aid the human universe, it is generally agreed that the star of the film is Sunset Shimmer, who is shown to genuinely be attempting to reform but is struggling due to no one really having forgiven her. Sunset is shown to still have a journal from Celestia that she used to speak to her during her time in the human world and she uses this to ask for help. Twilight arrives and begins formulating a plan to defeat the Dazzlings. While spending the night together Twilight and Sunset have a private moment where the two bond in a genuinely touching scene. This is expanded on post movie, in which after the Dazzlings are defeated, and retreat, surprisingly not reappearing in the franchise for years afterwards, Twilight and Sunset have heartfelt goodbye. It is revealed that Sunset and Twilight are dating at the film's ends, often using the journal to talk with each other.

"Yeah, Honestly the reason we went with that was because we needed a way to connect this spinoff with the main series. The Cutie Mark Chronicles spinoff was very closely connected with the main show and they crossed over all the time since the main characters were related and lived together. We didn't have that with Equestria Girls. They were a universe apart, so because there needed to be a connection to validate the spinoff show, we went for an emotional connection rather than a physical one and made the protagonist of the spinoff the girlfriend of the protagonist of the main show."

-Showrunner Megan McCarthy

The third film introduced a roadblock in this relationship with the introduction of the human world's Twilight, who is a scientist investigating the strange occurrences caused by the first two films with the added backdrop of a competition with a rival school named Crystal Prep, the Principal of whom is the human counterpart of Season 3 Antagonist King Sombra(Unlike OTL this is an event that Sunset knows about but never paid attention to before). Throughout the competition, Twilight inadvertently steals the abilities of the Mane Six through a scientific device she created to study their abilities, transforming in the end into a form later referred to as Midnight , which Sunset fights and is able to calm down into surrendering after obtaining a superform referred to as "Daydream Shimmer" officially but not in universe. An End Credits scene has the Equestrian Twilight return after being delayed by the Season Finale's events and meeting their human self.

The Fourth and final Film was Legend of Everfree, which involved the protagonists going to a summer camp. After this film, the series lived on in shorts. A flashback reveals that Twilight and Sunset had a conversation about how twilight fears that her responsibilities would mean spending time away from Twilight. Sunset is shown to have an attraction towards the Human world's Twilight, being nicknamed "SciTwi" by fans due to being a scientist. This is not helped by Twilight being somewhat realistically traumatized by her experiences in the last film and relying heavily on Sunset's support. Paranormal events begin to occur and SciTwi blames herself for them, though they are revealed to be the spirit of the entity Gaea Everfree possessing the camp counselor Gloriosa Daisy. Evidently human sacrifices were conducted on the land by Daisy's family that ceased 100 years ago when the parents of the family died before revealing the ritual to their children. In gaining abilities from finding the Human World's Equivalent to the Tree of Harmony, Sunset gains an ability to read minds through touch. This usually resulted in a flashback. Though viewers joked that Sunset was holding onto someone for minutes on end due to the flashback's length. It was shown later on that from an outside perspective, the process lasts a second with only a quick flash in Sunset's eyes that from an outside perspective is similar to a car light reflecting off the eyes.​

Specials

Post Films the Specials included a Christmas Special in which due to an antagonist, a victim of Sunset's bullying, Wallflower, erasing everyone's memories of Sunset's reformation, Sunset is forced to solve a series of crimes blamed on them. The conflict is not resolved by Christmas and so Sunset travels to Equestria and spends Christmas alone with Twilight, who is also alone as due to the Equestrian Equivalent to Christmas not directly lining up with the actual Christmas, everyone is occupied. Twilight does help Sunset discover a magical artifact likely being used by the antagonist and Sunset returns to thwart to undo the curse. Though exposing the culprit, Sunset has their memories painfully ripped out of them in a scene many have called Painful to Watch, though purposefully so as Sunset screams the names of everyone as they forget them and is left amnesiac. They are then taken back to Equestria to recover their memories through magic. This served as a way for the main show to introduce Sunset in a way that feels natural. Sunset basically meeting the Mane Six for the first time, being introduced to those who did not see the spinoff as an old friend of Twilight's and a fellow student of Celestia. Sunset eventually began to less frequent, due to returning to the human world and the spinoff more than Twilight did.

Other Specials include "RollerCoaster" which dealt with a haunted theme park but to the surprise of many fans, hinted at the "AppleSpark" pairing, or the romantic relationship between AppleJacka and Sparkler, evidently making it canon. There was also "Eternal Sunset" in which Sunset was trapped in a Groundhog Day loop during a Music Festival, which they repeatedly try to escape. this featured the long awaited return of the Dazzlings, who were surprisingly not the antagonists, something which Sunset resolves immediately just by touching their hands. In fact they contribute to thwarting the true antagonists, a K-Pop band singer with a terminal illness, unaware that Sunset was reliving the day as well. The Dazzlings, now depowered, effectively joined the main cast. There was also a series of Interactive shorts(I.e. of the youtube variety in which choosing one option leads to another, however these events would not be mentioned again. Minor events change, such as a School Play going horribly wrong or perfectly depending on player choices and relationship between characters becoming extremely positive or extremely negative(though its always hinted that the characters would have to work hard to repair any relationships that get as bad as possible). None of the protagonists will die from player choices or lack thereof but can be injured, leading possibly to hospitalization. Several minor characters introduced for the interactive shorts including the antagonists however, can in fact die.

Following the cancellation of both the spinoff and the main show, The Equestria Girls series lived on in Comic Form, depicting the lives of the characters after High School, including the relationship and eventual marriage of Twilight and Sunset.​

Last edited:
Timeline 191: 1932-Present
Here is a post covering Timeline 191 in its own entry with a bit more detail. Elements of What Madness is This? by Napoleon53 have been folded in, namely the Charles Oswald character and backstory.

Timeline 191
Timeline 191, Also known as the Southern Victory series, began in 1931 with the release of a short story Collection. This particular story was written by Winston Churchill as"What is Lee had not won at Gettysburg?" which was a What If story set in a world where the Confederacy had won its independence. While originally Churchill planned to end the story with both the US and the CS being absorbed into Britain through an alliance, he decided to hold off and do research on the Civil War. It was from this that he learned of Special Order 191, which was lost and began to wonder if it hadn't been. From this idea, Churchill wrote up the first story "Southern Victory", which became a novel. Dwight D.Eisenhower provided realistic battle strategies in a private correspondence.

1959GettysburgLoDef-1038x576.jpg

Southern Victory(1931)
The Story begins with the messenger about to leave but realizing he's dropped a cigarette carrying the details of Special order 191. he picks it up and rides off. Without knowledge of the battle, Robert E.Lee defeats John B.McClellan and occupies Philadelphia. Britain and France recognize the Confederacy and the US is forced to do the same. The Emancipation Proclamation is never implemented, sitting on Lincoln's desk in a first draft. In the 1865, election Lincoln loses. Meanwhile in the Confederacy, they expand by buying land from Mexico, and even purchase Cuba. A second war breaks out but the British and French refuse to aid the Confederacy unless they abandon slavery, which they do under their new President Robert E.Lee. A second war begins and the US is humiliated. Lincoln becomes an avid socialist as a result.

Jumping forward to the first World War, the conflict begins again. This time Theodore Roosevelt(whom Churchill met and was good friends with) leads the Union against the Confederacy(led by Woodrow Wilson). This time with Britain and France being occupied, the Union wins. it as this point the story ends.

Settling the Score(1955)
While Southern Victory was a success, Churchill was occupied by his career in politics. However, after the Second World War, he decided to return to depict the Alternate World War II. Churchill began writing in 1955. Now fully aware of the Consequences of several earlier events he could reflect on them. For example in Russia, he made mention that the Communist Revolution failed and mentioned Lenin and Trostky. However, Churchill wanted to represent Stalin in the story and to this extent he created "Joe Steele" as Stalin who had been born in America. the adopted son of George Custer, who was a General in the first book and had been credited with weaponizing "Barrels" or Tanks in the Timeline 191 universe. George Custer's son Michael however preferred the name Joe Steele and upon realizing the truth of his origins, that he was adopted, he kills George Custer and has Theodore Roosevelt assassinated by Annie Oakley during the Victory Parade in New York(that ironically ended the last Book). Roosevelt shrugs off being shot but then begins to proclaim "It takes more than one bullet to kill a..." before he is shot, a reference to the actual assassination attempt on him. Joe Steele then helps to lead a Socialist revolution in the US, while assisting Socialist leader Eugene V.Debs. Finally in 1932, he is elected President after orchestrating the assassination of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by sitting his mansion on fire. Churchill at least wrote FDR crawling out of his wheelchair and moving towards Steele as he watched, as if trying to kill him with his last breath. Churchill would joke about coming up with sadistic ways to murder his friends.
26657cec98c1c14a5079a54beb94c2e3c5f9d5dar1-1280-720v2_uhq.jpg

Featherston and the Confederate armies as depicted in the book

There was a Stalin analogue, but Churchill realized he needed a Hitler. He decided he would come from the South. Thus Jake Featherston was born. Featherston was a minor character in the first book, just a Confederate Soldier, but he was turned into a failed artist and his history made to parallel Hitler's life. Though Hitler himself is shown to be just a Colonel in the story. Steele and Featherston's rivalry echoed that of Hitler and Stalin with a battle of Pittsburgh paralleling the battle of Stalingrad. Churchill also focused on the conflict in Europe. He depicted a parody of himself running Britain during the war. Germany ultimately wins the war in Europe as Einstein never fled Germany because there were no Nazis. The nukes are used on Paris and London and the war finished. In North America, Featherston survives a nuke of the Confederate Capitol but flees on foot, where he is found by several African American soldiers, who brutally shoot him down in revenge.

The Story ends with Churchill writing a story about what if it had gone differently. Joe Steele had recently died and his right hand and General Patton had taken over. Patton himself hated this part of the story because he couldn't think of any universe, real or not, where he was a dirty Commie. The book mentions that Japan had kept growing and implied a cold war between Japan and America.

USSA_flag.jpg

Flag of the United Socialist States of America

Back in the USSA(1997)

Churchill died in 1965, however this was far from the end of what he had started. Writers Harry Turtledove and Kim Newman loved the universe Churchill had created and wrote a book continuing the story, Back in the USSA. Released in 1997, the book covered the rest of the Cold War post 1955 unto the present. The two introduced Charles Oswald, the alternate John K.Kennedy, and gave him a full backstory. Realizing that British people, including Irish individuals were prosecuted in Churchill's story due to the hatred the US has with Britain, Kennedy would likely have changed his name. As such in this new setting, Kennedy's family lived in a walled off ghetto. John F. Kennedy slipped out one day and played with a young bot until an officer spotted them and beat young John. This incident led JFK to change his name to Charles Oswald after he and his brother murdered their family. This allowed Oswald to rise in the ranks and eventually succeed Patton. Oswald became a new antagonist in the series after the big egos of Steele and Featherston, though he was far more charismatic during the Cold War. His storyline concluded with him threatening to start World War III by launching nukes until a rebellion led by Richard Nixon finally stopped him.

Other elements focused on includeThere was also a focus on Britain which became an analogue of OTL Japan as it recovered from World War II before becoming an analogue to America in this world. There's also Russia, which was similar to OTL Britain. Given the book consisted of several short stories, the details were more sparse, but interesting tidbits include Anne Frank serving a Martin Luther King Jr type role while Dr.King himself fulfills an Elie Weisel type role. Alfred Hitchcock releasing a Knights of the Round Table film similar to the Seven Samurai. The cold war ending with Emperor Hirohito's death, China becoming Communist as a parallel to China, and Kurt Vonnegut in a Gorbachev type role in the USSA.

Fan Works
The Timeline 191 series was a huge inspiration for Alternate History with Alternate History.com providing several timelines based on it such as "After the End." and a Redux by Napoleon53 that adds a lot of juicy details now considered canon. This includes George Washington Carver normalizing selling Cocaine to children, the Union carrying out genocide in Mexico and the rise of insane prophet Billy Graham. These later contributed to the release of the mod for the game Hearts of Iron IV(TTL's Kaiserreich with Timeline 191 thrown in).

HBO Adaptation
Following the conclusion of their time on Game of Thrones, David Benioff and D.B.Weiss announced their production of an adaptation of "Timeline 191". The production included several black actors in the creation process and HBO ensured that the Confederacy would not be portrayed sympathetically but as the undisputed antagonists, despite this there was some controversy following the announcement. Season One covers The Great War. Season Two covers the intervening period between the World Wars. Season Three cover World War II with Sean Penn as Jake Featherston. Season Four shifted focus to Charles Oswald, played by James Marsden, and Season Five focused on wrapping up the Cold War. Marsden did something thought impossible and surpassed Sean Penn as Featherston. The Cover for Season Four is now iconic, depicting the visage of Charles Oswald(JFK) wearing sun glasses and smiling sadistically as atomic bombs reflect off his lenses with his face covered in blood and the headline: "What Madness is This?"
229419495-1.jpg

Adrian McLoughlin as Joe Steele
54da6d0186774_-_esq-election-all-the-kings-men-sean-penn-lg-59681072.jpg

Sean Penn as Jake Featherston
James-Marsden-John-F.jpg

James Marsden as Charles Oswald
48202577102_0e8915a49c_c.jpg

Part of the Advertisement for Season Four of "Timeline 191".

Last edited: