Triumph of the Gael: A Hibernian TL

Blue banners for days, right?
Possibly. It's more that the green derives from the blue and was first used in the Wars of the 3 Kingdoms. Even the harp symbol derives from English/Norman coins minted in Ireland rather than native ones.
The flags/arms of the later kingdom will derive from symbols used by Brian's successors but a reference to their origin in his reign wouldn't be too far fetched albeit more likely a later insertion into the stories.

And the king passes away into eternity. Really good start man, I like it all and the quick formation of factions in the royal court with the succession is hilarious considering how many of these people use to be the enemies of the Ua Brian. I have to say though, from my research, that it shouldn't be all the lords of the kingdom electing the Tanaiste but either the righdamhna or more likely all males of the sept.

This is from Wikipedia and its references -
Historically the Tanist was chosen from among the heads of the roydammna or "righdamhna" (literally, those of kingly material) or, alternatively, among all males of the sept, and elected by them in full assembly.

Though of course since most kingdoms would be composed mostly of agnatically related nobility it may not apply to the Ruíri talk about a true king of the island so what do I know?

Huh, you got me there :biggrin:
Looks like I misread the Wikipedia page and interpreted Tanistry as the roydammna being those who are eligible and then an assembly (in this case the nobility) elects them, but it seems I was wrong. It’s actually the members of the ruling dynasty come together and vote like you said, and one member is picked from the lot. Nice catch and thanks for that, I’ll go back and change that section of the chapter a bit.

Hi all, the excitement of seeing an Irish focused TL and in particular one based around Brian Boru has spurred me into making my first post here (also just realised the aptness of my username for this TL-I should have thought twice before choosing it for a history focused forum). Really enjoying the approach and the research that's clearly been done. One thing I'd ask though if you don't mind is why you went for Tadhg over Murchad for his successor? While Tadhg played a key role in the OTL aftermath, that was of course in the context of Murchad having been killed in the closing stages of Clontarf along with his son Tairdealbach. Historically Murchad seems to have been recognised as Tánaiste and his father's intended heir in his lifetime, a status which played a big part in the reason the O'Brien dynasty struggled to retain the power that Brian had held after Clontarf, as Brian's sons Tadhg and Donnacha vied for power. He for example was in effect the commander at Clontarf due to his father's age (on which point, while I'm sure youth could well play a role in such deliberations, Brian himself became High King at the age of 61, so significantly older than Murchad would be in this scenario).

Hope you don't mind, the above, just keen to help out a TL on a topic I'm interested in! Looking forward to reading it going forward.

Hi all, the excitement of seeing an Irish focused TL and in particular one based around Brian Boru has spurred me into making my first post here (also just realised the aptness of my username for this TL-I should have thought twice before choosing it for a history focused forum). Really enjoying the approach and the research that's clearly been done. One thing I'd ask though if you don't mind is why you went for Tadhg over Murchad for his successor? While Tadhg played a key role in the OTL aftermath, that was of course in the context of Murchad having been killed in the closing stages of Clontarf along with his son Tairdealbach. Historically Murchad seems to have been recognised as Tánaiste and his father's intended heir in his lifetime, a status which played a big part in the reason the O'Brien dynasty struggled to retain the power that Brian had held after Clontarf, as Brian's sons Tadhg and Donnacha vied for power. He for example was in effect the commander at Clontarf due to his father's age (on which point, while I'm sure youth could well play a role in such deliberations, Brian himself became High King at the age of 61, so significantly older than Murchad would be in this scenario).

Hope you don't mind, the above, just keen to help out a TL on a topic I'm interested in! Looking forward to reading it going forward.

First of all, welcome to the website! It’s nice to have you :)

I decided to choose Tadhg mainly on the question of his relative youth and prospects for life (as well as an underlying influence from outside families not wanting the experienced Murchad in office.) The Tanist is required to have “in possession of all his faculties and without any remarkable blemish of mind or body.” and Murchad himself is entering the later stages of his life (something like his early fifties now) so I decided to go with a younger son of Brian even though Murchad himself would probably be more suited for the role of King. I also did it from a narrative perspective to give a bit more of a long reign to the figure following Brian rather than a good 5-10 years of Murchad before he is reaching senility. I still intend to keep Murchad on as the regent and really the sword that backs the throne of his younger brother. Although, from reading your comment I am now thinking that keeping Murchad as the heir was probably a better idea.

I definitely don’t mind the comment! It really helps me iron out ideas for the Timeline and gives more life to decisions made in the timeline. I appreciate any comments and criticisms. Once again, welcome to the site.

Chapter 4
Chapter 4

TaraStone.jpg

(The Hill of Tara where Tadgh was coronated. Brian himself was coronated at the family stronghold at Cashel, but Tadhg decided to continue with the millenia old tradition of receiving the Crown at the Lia Fáil)

The sun rose high on the morning of March 7, 1019 on the flat plains of Tara. A large crowd of men dressed in all manners of noble dress were amassed in solemn silence, their cloaks flapping in the breeze. They looked on as the priest recited the Lords Prayer;

"Pater noster, qui es in caelis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum.
Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
sed libera nos a malo.
Amen."

With that, the Crown of Brian was slowly placed on the head of Tadhg mac Briain. Tadhg performed a perfunctory sign of the cross, and the audience did the same. He was now no longer a Tanist, but the Ard Rí na hÉireann and Imperator Scotorum. The new King looked out on the endless green fields of his homeland, and allowed himself to indulge in the sin of pride. Everything in sight and beyond was subject to him. It felt good. Being an ambitious young man of a now illustrious family, Tadhg even thought that perhaps lands beyond his island may bow down before him and acknowledge him as their High King.

These dreams were going to have to wait though, because first Tadhg needed to secure his rule much as his father had done. For the next year or so, Tadhg would need to be on the road with his court constantly. He would have to journey to his home in Munster, to his friends in Connaught, to his allies in Ulaidh, to his potential enemies in Leinster, the list went on. This was all to build on his fathers work on centralization, loyalty, and security in his new Kingdom. Even the thought of it was enough to exhaust the normally vigorous Tadhg, but it was a measure that had to be done to honor his father's work and to strengthen his own clan within the dangerous game of Irish politics.

"...The High King Tadhg spent his coronation mingling amongst his nobles and making grand promises. Particular interest was payed to the former High King Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill, who was in possession of great renown for his former victories alongside High King Brian Bóruma. An agreement was struck promising the continued [1] recognition of the Ui Néill monastery in Armagh as head church and the keeping of the hostages exchanged in the year 998. After the noble dealings, the Dál gCais had a fierce celebration in nearby Dubhlinn for the new Ard Rí. Raucous toasts were made in honor of the great Brian and for the prosperity of Tadhg and many a man left inebriated from the night's escapades.

While the new King celebrated his coronation, the treacherous clan of Uí Dúnlainge who had produced Brian's old rival Máel Mórda once again proved their perfidious blood by attempting to capture the city of Dubhlinn and to take off with loot by Táin Bó (Cattle Raid). Already, Bran mac Máelmórda (son of Máel Mórda) marched north with a host of cavalry and levied infantry. This rebellious body marched through the night and into the next day in an attempt to catch the High King unawares. Bran's plan was seen to its conclusion and by dawn the next morning, the vanguard of his army arrived on the outskirts of the city. Everyone, man or woman, adult or child, was ran down by Bran's horsemen and all of the cattle was driven out of their enclosures and onto the wild fields. Houses were torched and any valuable was carried off as a prize of year

Upon seeing the flames in the distant skies, the guards of the city closed the gates and the King was awoken urgently. Tadhg, in his bravery, did not flee and prepared to sally out to protect his subjects from the ravages of the Uí Dúnlainge traitors. Assembling all of the Gael and Norse nobility with him, Tadhg's force rode out to meet these marauders. Scattered and disorganized in their attempt at looting, they were easily driven off by the concentrated charge of the Ua Briain.

Boru Panner.png

(Banner of the Dál gCais that was likely flown by the Ua Briain at the battle. It depicts the Claidheamh Soluis or, Sword of Light, of Irish mythology)

Bran's cavalry had fled, but soon they regrouped and returned to the field. Tadhg charged valiantly at the head of his men and layed about on all slides, slaying many. The lighter armed cavalry of Bran was no match for the well equipped men of Tadgh. Bran himself fled dishonorably, and regrouped with his levies. He ordered them to march on the city and lay a siege, and the sheer multitude of them forced Tadhg's relatively small force to return to the safety of the city. In the meantime though, Tadgh has dispatched a noble to rally the septs of Meath to combat the rebellion. Dubhlinn was then set to siege and the King staunchly defended the city for two weeks. The walls were assaulted twice and each time, Bran's men were driven off and their ladders destroyed.

Eventually, the army of Meath came into viewer the end of the second week of the siege. Upon seeing this, the rebels quickly abandoned their siege lines and formed up for battle. The Army from Meath was smaller in size than the large Rebel Host, but was made up of good and experienced men. Tadhg took this opportunity to gather his cavalry and meet his allies before the battle ensued. The
Ard Rí made an impassioned and rousing speech:

“...Ignore the racket made by these traitors before you. There are more children than men in their ranks. They are not soldiers—they're not even properly equipped. We've beaten them before under my father and when they see our weapons and feel our spirit, they'll break and run just like they did at Clontarf. Hold the line and stay true to your King. Throw the javelins, then push forward: knock them down with your shields and finish them off with your swords and spears. If we win, we shall take Cill Dara and Loch Garman [2] and seize their valuables. As treasure you shall have their cattle, their women, their land, they shall be driven from the earth!"

The speech was met with an intense clattering of shields and roars of approval. And then they advanced. The field of battle, only just outside the town of Dubhlinn, consisted of a flat field with a steep river bank on the left and a set of hills on the right. The two armies advanced and the first volleys of projectiles were exchanged. Tadhg’s men were ordered to charge and they did. The melee was particularly fierce and a gory stalemate ensued where man hacked and chopped and won themselves honor.

Tadgh then decided to ride around the battle, concealed by the hills on the right of the battlefield, and fall upon the rear of Bran's rebels. Bran had lost many of his horsemen in the earlier skirmish and thus when High King Tadgh came charging out of the hills like the Devil himself, Bran had no response. Tadgh fell upon the rear of the enemy host and there slew many. The foe, within minutes, lost heart, wavered, and fled from the battlefield. Bran himself fled on a spare horse and just barely escaped capture. The rest of his army was thoroughly routed and was pursued all day by Tadhg's cavalry. The King eventually set up camp and allowed his army two days respite before they marched south into Leinster itself..."

- Gesta Rex Hibernia, Chapter II

[1] Brian had struck a deal with the Ui Néill during his reign that recognized the monastery in Armagh as the central Irish church. This was beneficial to both parties, as the Ui Néill dominated the Church and gave influence to the family and so having Brian support it was useful. For Brian, the Church and the Ui Néill were now liable to support him for fear that a future King would not guarantee them.

[2] Modern Kildare and Wexford in the contemporary Kingdom of Leinster, both major settlements.

Back with another update. This time it has been a month or so since Brian passed away and we follow Tadhg as he is coronated and then abruptly confronted with the first rebellion of his reign by the unruly Leinstermen. Mirroring his father, Tadhg confronts the rebels near the city of Dubhlinn and wins a second victory over the rebels, essentially breaking the power of Leinster. In the next installment, we will cover the advance into Leinster and more. I am hoping that by the year 1025 or 1030, we can step back and do an interlude look at Europe and see what all has gone on. If you guys have any butterfly suggestions like “The North Sea Empire survives” or any pet PoD you’d like to see, please comment them below because it helps with the overall Timeline!

Dose Tadhg have any Navy or trade ships in his service?

Forgot to mention, but in his campaigns, Brian Boru captured multiple Norse fleets at places like Limerick and Dublin so Tadhg has a pretty decently sized fleet at his disposal should he choose to cross the seas.

Chapter 5
Chapter 5

Battle.jpg

(Artistic impression of the chaos of battle in Medieval Ireland)

Sweat beat down Colmán's brow, and he nervously gripped his short-spear. The brutal winds left him shivering furiously, and his mind raced around searching for a topic less morbid than very possibly his imminent death. The rebel Leinstermen occupied the walls of the town ahead of him and he could almost make out their glimmering spearpoints in the bright morning sun. Mother warned me not to go, I really should have listened to her. He swallowed hard. Any moment now and they would be ordered to charge forward and batter down the gates. The anticipation was killing him, being his first battle and all. He was really only a youth, but nevertheless the local chief had deemed him of age to accompany the fresh levy south. Colmán had managed to avoid the battle at Dubhlinn by volunteering to guard the camp about a mile away. He had lost a brother in the battle, cut down by some cowardly rebel from the south. Now, Colmán was worried that he would share the same fate and leave his grieving mother with no more immediate kin.

His thoughts were interrupted by the signal to advance. This is it... His mind trailed off as his feet mechanically walked forward in unison with his comrades. Projectiles of all kinds issued from the sky above; rocks, arrows, javelins, they all came down in a torrent and struck down around him. The man immediately to his left caught an arrow to the forehead, Colmán could hear the skull crack and the man fell with a dull thud. Still, his feet prevented him from stopping and he raised his sorry excuse for a shield over his head to protect him. It was really just a flat board of wood given to him by an older veteran, but it gave him some piece of mind. After a minute or so of steady advance, they had reached the walls and the battering ram performed its work. The sound now was deafening; an unholy mix of yelling, shrill screams and shrieks, and twisting metal. He stood with his fellow soldiers under the gates for minutes as rocks rained down them, thrown by the determined defenders above.

At some point, the gate finally gave way, and the whole horde of Irishmen surged forward with a tremendous roar. The men poured down the narrow cobble streets of the town and slew all in their way. Colmán veered right with another group and climbed the winding stairs to the walls up above. At the top of the stairs, he was confronted with those bastards who had been been wreaking havoc on the King Tadhg's men. A fury overtook him, and he thrust his spear into one man's gut. The poor lad doubled over and fell off the side of the wall, smashing down on the street below. A blade slashed at Colmán and he deftly sidestepped it and bashed the next man with his shield. This man too fell off the wall, and so Colmán continued down the wall with his comrades, slaying all who opposed them.

As he charged down the eastern side of the wall, he looked down and saw pure chaos on the streets below. His fellow troops ran amok in the city, kicking down doors and carrying off wealth. He stopped just for a moment to watch this unfold, he had only a second to hear the loud whizzing sound coming his way. In the blink of an eye, a well placed arrow struck his throat. Colmán tumbled backward, and desperately gasped for air. Every breath he took left him more frantic than the last as he desperately sputtered for air. He could see the arrow's shaft protruding out from under his chin. He had almost survived. Almost... And now he would never return home again. Colmán slumped back against the parapet behind him, his life force draining from him until his vision went black.

1019:

After Tadhg's first victory in the field, he was eager to march south and defeat the rebellious Bran as soon as possible. He gave his men a few days of rest and recovery, and around mid March the King led his army south. En route, fresh troops from Connaught and Osraige replenished his depleted forces. He essentially marched unopposed all the way to the fortified city of Cill Dara. This was the seat of Bran's Uí Dúnlainge clan and if he captured it, it would be very important to crushing the rebellion. Bran had abandoned the city a few days prior to the siege and quit south to Loch Garman to procure more men and supplies, so the city was severely undermanned when Tadhg arrived. Nevertheless, when it came time to assault the city, the defenders stood by their posts and fought on for as long as they could. In the end though, it was never really a question of who would win, and the rebels were slaughtered within minutes.

After this second victory, the King allowed his men a day to plunder the city, and then once again continued south. On the way, they were harassed by some of Bran's loyal cavalrymen, but only proved to be a minor nuisance. By early April, Tadhg's army had arrived outside Loch Garman, but were surprised to see no men waiting to oppose them. There was great confusion among Tadhg's commanders until a party of Norsemen rode out from the city under the white banner of peace. Here, they presented the head of Bran mac Máelmórda to the King. Loch Garman was a Norse settlement and had always payed only nominal loyalty to the Petty Kings of Cill Dara, so when a rebellious petty king rode south demanding troops and loyalty to oppose the son of Brian, the Norsemen took matters into their own hands. Tadhg thanked them for their services and disbanded his troops to go home. The rebellion and the first conflict of Tadhg's rule was over.

In the Leinster power vacuum, the influential
Uí Ceinnselaig claimed the kingship within the following weeks and no one opposed them. The last scions of the Uí Dúnlainge fled the country and made for the Welsh lands to live out their days in ignominy. For the rest of 1019, Tadhg returned to the family home of Cashel Rock in Munster to attend to Dál gCais clan matters and to unwind. The days since Brian's death had been fairly chaotic and stressful so Tadhg was grateful for the rest.

1020:

In 1020, Tadhg had heard about the misfortunes of England against the Danes and decided to sail over to pay court to the new King of England: Knútr Inn Ríki. He gathered some of his best retinue and set sail in April. Arriving in Wintanceastre by May, Tadhg arranged a meeting with the Danish King in Northumbria. Neither King was particularly interesting in pomp and circumstance for the meeting, so the two simply conducted a meeting on a small moor south of Jórvík. The content discussed at the meeting is not know, but it was no doubt just a simple hashing of each King's sphere of influence. For instance, the rulers of Norðreyjar and Suðreyjar were firmly in Knút's sphere and it was likely that this was made clear to the ambitious King Tadhg. The status of the Isle of Man was also apparently not mentioned by King Knút, but this would be important later. Upon his return to Ireland in June, Tadhg immediately set about gathering men and ships for an expedition to Man, thinking Knút had not claimed it as under his protection. The Isle of Man was at this point ruled by a set of Hiberno-Norse nobility that had been there since approximately the 8th century. The island was fairly sparsely populated, save the city of Duboglass

With his expedition ready, Tadhg set out in September and quickly covered the ocean distance and landed on the island. The King arrived at Duboglass and held a parlay with the Norse mayor of the city. Tadhg was told by the mayor that the Island was under the control of Hákon Eiríksson, the son of the Jarl of Northumbria. Hákon was away in Suðreyjar, and Tadhg was had already made up his mind on taking the island. The King demanded the city submit to him and his army, or he would sack and burn it. The mayor, after deliberation, submitted to these demands and Tadhg installed a loyal garrison. Satisfied with this foreign escapade, the King returned to his capital and attended his daily businesses.

King Tadhg had not heard the last of Hákon Eiríksson, but he did not yet know this. 1021 would prove to be a rough year for the Ard Rí.

Last edited:
How far is this timeline gonna go? I can't imagine it going to 1000 years from the point of divergence, but that would be sweet.

How far is this timeline gonna go? I can't imagine it going to 1000 years from the point of divergence, but that would be sweet.

I’ve been giving some thought to this, and I guess I’ve decided to just keep it going as long as I can keep it interesting however far that is. I’d love to write it up to the modern era if I can keep it going but that might be too ambitious, we’ll just have to see since it’s my first Timeline and all. I think my shooting for at least 1600 as my minimum end date.