Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

This election is definitely looking like it'll be major. I hope that Garfield wins with a Populist congress but with enough Republicans left that he can sneakily get some civil rights legislation nudged in. Though regardless I wonder if he wins here and then does well... will he maybe run a 3rd time? He did leave early in his first term after all.

Also on a seperate note we may see the original Liberal Party straight up die at this rate unless they recover by 1900... are the Clevelanders just called the "New Liberal Party" or is Cleveland considering an all-together new name?

This election is definitely looking like it'll be major. I hope that Garfield wins with a Populist congress but with enough Republicans left that he can sneakily get some civil rights legislation nudged in. Though regardless I wonder if he wins here and then does well... will he maybe run a 3rd time? He did leave early in his first term after all.

Also on a seperate note we may see the original Liberal Party straight up die at this rate unless they recover by 1900... are the Clevelanders just called the "New Liberal Party" or is Cleveland considering an all-together new name?
It will indeed be major. The Clevelanders confusingly call themselves 'Liberals' or 'True Liberals' which is why they have been given that special nickname. Their hope is to recombine with the Liberals and purge the more 'Republican' elements. They are quite similar to McClellan's 'Bourbons' (because most Clevelanders used to be Bourbon Democrats.)

So generally Cleveland hopes to keep the name because he hopes to lead the party anew. He's trying to become the forefront face of the "I swear I'm not with those guys" (the ones that lost the war) movement.

It will indeed be major. The Clevelanders confusingly call themselves 'Liberals' or 'True Liberals' which is why they have been given that special nickname. Their hope is to recombine with the Liberals and purge the more 'Republican' elements. They are quite similar to McClellan's 'Bourbons' (because most Clevelanders used to be Bourbon Democrats.)

So generally Cleveland hopes to keep the name because he hopes to lead the party anew. He's trying to become the forefront face of the "I swear I'm not with those guys" (the ones that lost the war) movement.
Won't his goal kinda be hurt by the fact that he's still using a name that's still that unpopular? Or his national fame as the "one sensible Liberal" so well-known that he's saved from that?

Won't his goal kinda be hurt by the fact that he's still using a name that's still that unpopular? Or his national fame as the "one sensible Liberal" so well-known that he's saved from that?
He isn't. 'Clevelander' is a term that was invented and given to him mostly by opponents in the Liberal Party. It's somewhat a mocking term meant to describe these 'True Liberals' as Cleveland's personal cult. The term isn't even really mainstream among Populists and Republicans, they refer to both as Liberals in their papers.

The term 'Clevelander' won't get picked up as the mainstream way to refer to the party until historians use the term when writing about the election in the 1910s and 1920s.

Also yes, Cleveland himself is seen as the 'Sensible Liberal' throughout the nation. He was the biggest and earliest voice against President Sherman from within the Liberal Party.

Last edited:
He isn't. 'Clevelander' is a termthat was invented and given to him mostly by opponents in the Liberal Party. It's somewhat a mocking term meant to describe these 'True Liberals' as Cleveland's personal cult. The term isn't even really mainstream among Populists and Republicans, they refer to both as Liberals in their papers.

The term 'Clevelander' won't get picked up as the mainstream way to refer to the party until historians use the term when writing about the election in the 1910s and 1920s.

Also yes, Cleveland himself is seen as the 'Sensible Liberal' throughout the nation. He was the biggest and earliest voice against President Sherman from within the Liberal Party.
Ah I was unclear. When I said unpopular name I meant him calling himself a liberal when the American people are more likely to shoot a liberal than vote for one

Ah I was unclear. When I said unpopular name I meant him calling himself a liberal when the American people are more likely to shoot a liberal than vote for one
Oh! Oh yeah, very true.

His status as an opponent of Sherman actually makes him calling himself a 'True Liberal'/Liberal better. From the outside looking in, it's almost like a coup or a reclamation of the word.

I have some vignettes to release before the election post.

(Spoiler: Yes TR survived his time as a POW.)
Sweet. Any other prominent politicians from OTL get affected by the war personally whether serving in it or otherwise?

Also as a side note, I hope this timeline gets another NCT mod from someone in the future, the mod for 1872 is what helped introduce me to your timeline after all!

Sweet. Any other prominent politicians from OTL get affected by the war personally whether serving in it or otherwise?

Also as a side note, I hope this timeline gets another NCT mod from someone in the future, the mod for 1872 is what helped introduce me to your timeline after all!
Yeah I'd love to see another NCT mod it was a lot of fun to see @Hall work on it and I'm of course happy to help with the writing for another mod. That said Hall is currently working on 1960 Dark Blue which I'm super excited for! Maybe after that 1876 will get an NCT mod.

(That said after 1872 Triple Calamity's electiosn did get addmittley way harder to code, with the admission of Dominica and the existence of the Liberals.)

As for your originally question. Yes! Absolutely! Might make another mini chapter to go over them but some names of people personally affected/changed by the war are

TR (of course)/all of the rough riders of OTL

James Garfield

The Custers

The whole Adams Family and Henry Cabot Lodge (In the Massachusetts Great Game mini chapter I'll touch on this)

John Coolidge Sr.

James Schoolcraft Sherman (Who was the only US House Representative killed during the war)

Charles Dawes (solider at the Battle of Montreal, Second Toronto and Lansing)

Charles Curtis (A war reporter present in Boston when the city fell.)

Woodrow Wilson was in New York at the time the city was being shelled, he was almost killed when the building next to his hotel was destroyed.

Warren Harding was also a war reporter, but he was actually present at the Battle of Montreal.

Henry Thomas Rainey witnessed the siege of Chicago

Really any political figure who was a child at the time of the spanish american war who lived in New England, one of the shelled cities or Michigan was deeply affected and any politician or figure you know who fought in the Spanish American war was also deeply affected.

Any and all American Generals and Admirals were also totally shaken by the war. Nelson Miles is depressed as is George Dewey.

Yeah I'd love to see another NCT mod it was a lot of fun to see @Hall work on it and I'm of course happy to help with the writing for another mod. That said Hall is currently working on 1960 Dark Blue which I'm super excited for! Maybe after that 1876 will get an NCT mod.

(That said after 1872 Triple Calamity's electiosn did get addmittley way harder to code, with the admission of Dominica and the existence of the Liberals.)

As for your originally question. Yes! Absolutely! Might make another mini chapter to go over them but some names of people personally affected/changed by the war are

TR (of course)/all of the rough riders of OTL

James Garfield

The Custers

The whole Adams Family and Henry Cabot Lodge (In the Massachusetts Great Game mini chapter I'll touch on this)

John Coolidge Sr.

James Schoolcraft Sherman (Who was the only US House Representative killed during the war)

Charles Dawes (solider at the Battle of Montreal, Second Toronto and Lansing)

Charles Curtis (A war reporter present in Boston when the city fell.)

Woodrow Wilson was in New York at the time the city was being shelled, he was almost killed when the building next to his hotel was destroyed.

Warren Harding was also a war reporter, but he was actually present at the Battle of Montreal.

Henry Thomas Rainey witnessed the siege of Chicago

Really any political figure who was a child at the time of the spanish american war who lived in New England, one of the shelled cities or Michigan was deeply affected and any politician or figure you know who fought in the Spanish American war was also deeply affected.

Any and all American Generals and Admirals were also totally shaken by the war. Nelson Miles is depressed as is George Dewey.
Nice!! Can't wait to see the next set of chapters/mini chapters. Also yeah I can see how coding might get difficult for future elections though ofc luckily 3rd party mechanics has existed for mods and even 4 playable candidates in mods like 2016 4-Way which I think would probably be a good idea/template for all the multiparty mods. You're definitely right about dominica tho adding that to the map would definitely be one of the first hurdles for anyone who wants to make a mod. Also other than 1876 is there any election in particular you'd like to see get its own mod?

Also on the other side of the pond

Ramsay MacDonald was drafted and fought in Blood's brigade, he gained nationalistic views while in the army, turning against his leftward lean after a great victory at Second Toronto.

Three Royals fought

Prince Alfred was the admiral in charge of the shelling of New Orleans

Prince Arthur was in command of a division under General Hamilton

and the future Heir to the throne Prince George (George V) was captaining the HMS Melampus which was present for the shelling of Boston

Nice!! Can't wait to see the next set of chapters/mini chapters. Also yeah I can see how coding might get difficult for future elections though ofc luckily 3rd party mechanics has existed for mods and even 4 playable candidates in mods like 2016 4-Way which I think would probably be a good idea/template for all the multiparty mods. You're definitely right about dominica tho adding that to the map would definitely be one of the first hurdles for anyone who wants to make a mod. Also other than 1876 is there any election in particular you'd like to see get its own mod?
1876 is honestly one of my favorite elections, I remember being particularly excited to write about it. I also loved all of the 1880s elections, especially 1888.

But my all time favorite Triple Calamity election is 1884, it would make a great mod. It would be really hard to code with it's five candidates, but it was a blast to write.

Last edited:
Im sure that won't have any effect on US opinions during the WW1 at all.... I mean the propaganda writes itself ngl
There are pictures of the future Prince of Wales celebrating with his friends in the streets of Boston and taking sledgehammers to a statue of George Washington...

Oh this also reminds me, any chance we get a transcript or at least excerpts from Garfield's convention speech? The name alone has me hyped for it. Also I think technically this means (correct me if Im wrong) that Garfield beat FDR for being the first candidate to be physically present at a Convention and give a speech before the delegates

Oh this also reminds me, any chance we get a transcript or at least excerpts from Garfield's convention speech? The name alone has me hyped for it. Also I think technically this means (correct me if Im wrong) that Garfield beat FDR for being the first candidate to be physically present at a Convention and give a speech before the delegates
I've been writing the full transcript, it'll lead the election post don't worry.

Also yes, in Triple Calamity Garfield is the first to physically present his acceptance speech.

Also on the other side of the pond

Ramsay MacDonald was drafted and fought in Blood's brigade, he gained nationalistic views while in the army, turning against his leftward lean after a great victory at Second Toronto.

Three Royals fought

Prince Alfred was the admiral in charge of the shelling of New Orleans

Prince Arthur was in command of a division under General Hamilton

and the future Heir to the throne Prince George (George V) was captaining the HMS Melampus which was present for the shelling of Boston
Speaking of Britain, do you have any plans on doing an update on any of their elections? Great TL btw, such a interesting "what if" scenario that I think you've written about very well :)