Tonight, In This Very Ring: A Collection of Wrestling Timelines

A Wonderful Accident: WrestleMania IV
WrestleMania IV

Venue: Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey
Attendance: 19,200
Announce Team: Gorilla Monsoon/Jesse Ventura​

The Hart Foundation d. The British Bulldogs

Good strong opening to kick off the show between two of the finest tag teams in the WWF.

The Ultimate Warrior d. Hercules

OTL squash.

One Man Gang (w/Slick) d. Bam Bam Bigelow (w/Oliver Humperdink)

We don't have Bam Bam long, so we have him put over the One Man Gang. Note the lack of a tournament. There's an obvious reason for that.

Jake Roberts d. Rick Rude (w/Bobby Heenan)

Give Jake a victory here since we're not doing the tournament. DDT to Rick does it.

Ricky Steamboat d. Ted DiBiase (w/Virgil)

And since the loss of of his #1 star, there needs to be another big babyface and Steamboat and Savage put on the best match of WrestleMania III, so there's a lot of promise, but Vince had eyes on Savage (not helped when Honky threatened to go to the NWA if he was forced to drop the IC title) so we give him a win against the hot upcoming heel Million Dollar Man before the title matches.

Demolition (w/Mr. Fuji) d. Strike Force (c) for the WWF Tag Team Championship

OTL match.

Honky Tonk Man (c) (w/Jimmy Hary and Peggy Sue) d. Brutus Beefcake for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

This time it's a clean loss for the Barber, though he still cuts Jimmy Hart's hair, allowing for a great post-match with Honky and Jimmy Hart (seriously, if you haven't seen it, it's amazing.)

Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) d. Paul Orndorff (c) (w/Jimmy Hart)

And after almost a year of Mr. Wonderful as champion, we come to this. Macho Man wins the title and gets to have his moment in the spotlight and is crowned the new face of the WWF. Just in time as NWA began to gain real traction, with the success of Starrcade on PPV, Bunkhouse Stampede getting more views than WWF's free televised Royal Rumble and with the real threat of Clash of the Champions (Headlined by Flair vs. Sting) the WWF needed a new top star and fast.

Clash of the Champions did go PPV rather than being televised and got a 6.5 buyrate, a notch above than WrestleMania's 5.5, with many believing that losing Hulkamania might mean that the WWF might not survive. Vince, feeling emboldened by Macho Man's ascent, takes the loss in surprising stride as he opts for a planned follow-up to WrestleMania in August. The event is known as SummerSlam.

Savage-Orndorff, with Orndorff uninjured, would be a four-to-five-star match, easily--right up there with Savage-Steamboat, methinks...

SURVIVOR SERIES 1990
22nd November 1990
XL Centre, Conneticut

#1 Team Justice (Jim Justice, Texas Tornado and LOD) Def Perfection and Destruction (Mr Perfect, Ravishing Rick Rude and Demolition)

Rude and Perfect were tag champs known as Perfectly Ravishing. Both LOD and Demolition were vying for the title.

i. Hawk pinned Ax after Hawk powered out of a full nelson from Rude.
ii. Perfect pinned Animal with the perfect plex
iii. Rude pinned Tornado
iv. Justice pinned Perfect after a botched Ravishing (Powerplex)
v. Smash pinned by Justice
vi Rude pinned by Justice

(Survivor: Justice)

# 2 The Dream Team vs Million Dollar Team

i. Koko B Ware pinned by Undertaker
ii. Valentine pinned by Hitman
iii. Undertaker and Anvil counted out
iv Honky Tonk Man pins Dusty
v. Hitman pins Dibiase

(Survivor: Hitman)

# 3 Hulkamaniacs def Natural Disasters (Earhquake and Dino Bravo) and Powers of Pain (Warlord and Barbarian)

(Survivor: Hogan)

Interview with Savage

# 4 Mercenaries defeats Vipers

#5 Match of Ultimate Survival. Hogan, Justice and Hitman vs Mercenaries (Winner, Hogan and Justice)

(No Gobbeldy Gooker!)

Last edited:
SURVIVOR SERIES 1990
22nd November 1990
XL Centre, Conneticut

#1 Team Justice (Jim Justice, Texas Tornado and LOD) Def Perfection and Destruction (Mr Perfect, Ravishing Rick Rude and Demolition)

Rude and Perfect were tag champs known as Perfectly Ravishing. Both LOD and Demolition were vying for the title.

i. Hawk pinned Ax after Hawk powered out of a full nelson from Rude.
ii. Perfect pinned Animal with the perfect plex
iii. Rude pinned Tornado
iv. Justice pinned Perfect after a botched Ravishing (Powerplex)
v. Smash pinned by Justice
vi Rude pinned by Justice

(Survivor: Justice)

# 2 The Dream Team vs Million Dollar Team

i. Koko B Ware pinned by Undertaker
ii. Valentine pinned by Hitman
iii. Undertaker and Anvil counted out
iv Honky Tonk Man pins Dusty
v. Hitman pins Dibiase

(Survivor: Hitman)

# 3 Hulkamaniacs def Natural Disasters (Earhquake and Dino Bravo) and Powers of Pain (Warlord and Barbarian)

(Survivor: Hogan)

Interview with Savage

# 4 Mercenaries defeats Vipers

#5 Match of Ultimate Survival. Hogan, Justice and Hitman vs Mercenaries (Winner, Hogan and Justice)

(No Gobbeldy Gooker!)

You know, I've written timelines where Dynamite Kid shot himself. Where Scott Hall died in a drunken car crash. Where Tony Atlas got stabbed to death. Where XPW managed to sign Kane and where Hulk Hogan headlined Heroes of Wrestling with the Ultimate Warrior. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the darkest timeline.

A Wonderful Accident: SummerSlam 1988
SummerSlam 1988

One month after the NWA had its Great American Bash PPV, the WWF launched its summer answer to WrestleMania, SummerSlam. The show saw some great matches such as the Bulldogs vs. the Rougeaus going to a time limit draw, the Ultimate Warrior demolishing the Honky Tonk Man in under a minute for the Intercontinental title, Demolition vs. the Hart Foundation fort he tag titles and in the main event, the team of WWF World Champion "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat tag up against "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff and the "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase (The Wonder Bucks? ...Eh, not going with it) in front of roaring MSG crowd with Jesse "The Body" Ventura as special guest referee. The match, coming off the four-star classic between Savage and Orndorff that had headlined WrestleMania IV, had helped solidify Vince's faith in Savage in the top spot. He had everything needed to stand against the NWA champ Ric Flair; he had the look, he had the mouth and he was technically sound in the ring and put on great matches with other ring generals such as Steamboat and DiBiase. While Crockett had managed to force back any plans for a November show and completely decimated the Royal Rumble as a PPV concept for the time being, SummerSlam was the first PPV to give Vince a bit of edge back. And it jsut so happens his good friend Donald Trump wants him back in Atlanic City.

For WrestleMania V.

If this leads to three main events with Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat for the WWF title (like Steamboat-Flair in WCW OTL), that'd be impressive...

Or will it be Warrior-Savage in WWF vs. Flair-Steamboat in WCW in 1989? Warrior and Savage could get several four-to-five star matches, IMO, especially if they're in their prime...

Remember, Warrior-Hogan at WrestleMania VI was a very good match, IMO, and the Warrior-Savage match at WrestleMania VII is considered to be one of the best matches of 1991; that occurring several years earlier would be awesome...

While Warrior didn't make much sense on the microphone, he could be a good wrestler when he needed to be (and watch Hogan's matches in Japan sometime--watch them and wonder why we never saw that Hogan in the WWF in the 1980s)...

Last edited:
If this leads to three main events with Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat for the WWF title (like Steamboat-Flair in WCW OTL), that'd be impressive...

Or will it be Warrior-Savage in WWF vs. Flair-Steamboat in WCW in 1989? Warrior and Savage could get several four-to-five star matches, IMO, especially if they're in their prime...

Remember, Warrior-Hogan at WrestleMania VI was a very good match, IMO, and the Warrior-Savage match at WrestleMania VII is considered to be one of the best matches of 1991; that occurring several years earlier would be awesome...

While Warrior didn't make much sense on the microphone, he could be a good wrestler when he needed to be (and watch Hogan's matches in Japan sometime--watch them and wonder why we never saw that Hogan in the WWF in the 1980s)...

Honestly, with how things have been going, I'm contemplating Flair-Orndorff if I can't find anything for Mr. Wonderful to do... hrm, maybe him and Jake go at it in V since I pretty much retired Andre after III. The dude was barely mobile at the time and his value started to drop after his match with Paul. They tried, sure, but there's only so much Orndorff could do with Andre.

Honestly, with how things have been going, I'm contemplating Flair-Orndorff if I can't find anything for Mr. Wonderful to do... hrm, maybe him and Jake go at it in V since I pretty much retired Andre after III. The dude was barely mobile at the time and his value started to drop after his match with Paul. They tried, sure, but there's only so much Orndorff could do with Andre.
Is flair and Crockett at a crossroads yet, because I don't see him leaving the NWA unless WWF givrs Flair an armani suit deal.

I mean other way around of Orndorff jumping to NWA.
I can see it happening if Paul starts to be pushed down the card in lieu of Jake (obvious advesary for Macho), Honky Tonk Man, Bam Bam Bigelow ( if only to replicate the big spectacle of Andre), and The Ultimate Warrior (Warrior could look at Macho Madness as the source of what he saw on the terrain of testament.),Ted Dibiase, and Mr. Perfect if he hasn't already left AWA.

Speaking of Flair, has Arn and Tully come and gone in the F.

You know, I've written timelines where Dynamite Kid shot himself. Where Scott Hall died in a drunken car crash. Where Tony Atlas got stabbed to death. Where XPW managed to sign Kane and where Hulk Hogan headlined Heroes of Wrestling with the Ultimate Warrior. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the darkest timeline.

If you’re talking about the lack of gg then I consider it to be a better to.

A Wonderful Accident: WrestleMania V
WrestleMania V

Back to Boardwalk Hall (not Trump Plaza) with the fifth ever WrestleMania. It's a massive (some would say bloated) show, with 14 matches on the card. The major ones include Jake Roberts facing off against Ted DiBiase, Paul Orndorff meeting Brutus Beefcake, Demolition defending their tag titles against the Powers of Pain, Mr. Perfect vs. Owen Hart, The Brainbusters vs. Strike Force, Rick Rude beating the Ultimate Warrior for the Intercontinental Championship, and of course the main event.

The story of the main event is one of and intense rivalry heating back up. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat II. At WrestleMania III they stole the show. Tonight, they are the show, putting on an absolute five-star classic, a match of the year contender against NWA's Chi-Town Rumble main event, which saw Sting win his first NWA World Title against Ric Flair. Many thought that this would be Ricky Steamboat's crowning moment, much like Sting's. However, that night the Macho Man lands the elbow to keep the title. The WWF and NWA continue to go neck and neck in terms of quality, especially after Jim Crockett Promotions was bought by Turner (though probably for less money than OTL due to getting a few successful PPVs under their belt before the buyout) and being reborn as WCW. As the 80s draws to its close, wrestling seems to have nowhere to go but up.

What happened to Survivor Series 88 and Royal Rumble 89?

This will answer your question.
WrestleMania III

The card remains the same, with only one change. Reigning champion Andre the Giant facing off against Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff in the main event. Rather than bump up the number, Vince accepts the actual attendance number of 62,000 in the Silverdome. The PPV buyrate for Wrestlemania also took a blow due to the loss of Hogan. Andre had proven a great attraction, but his mobility had been greatly reduced and Orndorff, while now starting to build momentum as the man who ended Hulkamania, he was nowhere near the draw of Hogan, resulting in WWF making only $5 million in PPV revenue and just barely under a million at the gate. WrestleMania III was a success, but nowhere near big enough to justify adding onto the PPV calendar yet.

Thus, when November came around, Jim Crockett Promotions and the NWA jumped into the PPV market by bringing their own flagship event, Starrcade, to pay-per-view, headlined by Ric Flair defeating Ron Garvin for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The event pulled in a 6.8 PPV buyrate and managed to rankle Vince McMahon, who had little recourse as cable companies were not intimidated by his threat to pull WrestleMania IV. It was clear that Vince needed a new Hogan and he believed that perhaps instead of the 'Mania... it was time for the Madness.

A Wonderful Accident: SummerSlam 1989
SummerSlam 1989

The second annual SummerSlam event, headlined by Randy Savage vs. Paul Orndorff for the WWF World Title. I realized I slightly undersold the importance of Orndorff in the WWF at this point as he not only retired Hogan, he effectively retired Andre as Andre most likely retired after III, so he got something of a reputation as the WWF's hero killer. So, while I doubt Mr. Wonderful is gonna be staying in the company long with how little I've been able to give him, but he's still probably the biggest heel in the wrestling business (at least up north) going right now and him and Randy can put on another mat classic. Along with that, Steamboat takes on DiBiase to a losing effort, we got Demolition vs. The Twin Towers, Ultimate Warrior reclaiming the IC title from Rick Rude, the Brainbusters vs. the Hart Foundation and the Rougeaus and Rick Martel vs. The Rockers and Tito Santana. Really good show.

Also, Ready to Rumble gets butterflied away as Vince focuses his efforts on fighting Ted Turner's WCW, which just did their Great American Bash show, main evented by Ric Flair and Terry Funk for the NWA World Title and for Sting facing off for both the NWA United States and television titles against different opponents (Great Muta for the TV, Lex Luger for the US) in losing efforts, but keeping up the momentum he had built up as a growing star for the company. WCW continues to grow as a promotion, drawing closer to fighting Vince head on and Vince is not happy about it.

Last edited:
Here's hoping Tully is staying off the coke ittl. He has so many years still in him, also I hope to see a Rockers/Brainbusters feud before the year's out.

A Wonderful Accident: WrestleMania VI
WrestleMania VI

The Toronto SkyDome is packed to see the main event, dubbed the Ultimate Challenge as up-and-coming star the Ultimate Warrior faces off against long-reigning champion Macho Man Randy Savage with Warrior's Intercontinental and Savage's World titles both on the line. In what many considered a great main event, though nothing on his previous efforts at 'Mania against Orndorff and Steamboat, Savage opted to pass the torch to the Warrior, losing clean in the main event. Other major matches on the card include Rick Rude beating Ricky Steamboat in the semi-main. the Hart Foundation taking on Demolition for the tag titles in a losing effort, Mr. Perfect continuing his Perfect streak with a win against Brutus Beefcake and the final WWF PPV appearance of Paul Orndorff as Mr. Wonderful lost to the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes.

So yeah, going forward I didn't really have any major plans for Orndorff, but hell, I gave him a year-long world title run, so that's gotta count for something. He's pretty much a career heel, meant to make or break the upcoming babyfaces. He'll be heading over to WCW soon. Their most recent show was WrestleWar, where Lex Luger lost in the main event against Ric Flair for the NWA World Title. Everything's still chugging along fine over there, but now WWF's got that fire going and Vince is hoping the Warrior will be the man of the 90s.

A Wonderful Accident: SummerSlam 1990
SummerSlam 1990

SummerSlam 1990 was meant to be The Ultimate Warrior's first main event as the WWF World Heavyweight Champion, a crowning achievement. However, more people had tuned into SummerSlam to see the Texas Tornado, Kerry Von Erich end Mr. Perfect's winning streak and take the WWF Intercontinental Championship, The Hart Foundation reclaim the WWF Tag Titles over Demolition and most importantly, a now fully heel Randy Savage meet Dusty Rhodes in the semi-main, which many believed was a more deserving main event. Certainly not helping matters was last month's Great American Bash where Sting defeated Ric Flair to win his second NWA World Heavyweight Championship before the newly arriving Paul Orndorff hit him with a piledriver (a move infamously banned by the WWF after Hogan's injury) to set up his next feud in the company.

Also on the Bash show was the last PPV match of Mark Callous, losing to Lex Luger in a US title match. At one point, Vince would've snapped up the 6'4 powerhouse to sell as the next big threat to a conquering hero and indeed that was the close to the case with the new champion Warrior. However, Savage's run of great matches with smaller, more technically sound workers had shown that WWF didn't need to be a land of giants and that perhaps Ole Anderson was right to not consider Mark Calaway a draw. Negotiations came to a standstill and with more lucrative offers coming from Japan, Calaway turned down the WWF and headed for Japan to continue his run there as "Punisher" Dice Morgan.