TOASTER Sun and Moon [The One All-encompassing Scheme To Eternally Rule]

Should the Poland and Latvia colours be switched?

• Total voters
You mean that video here:
?

It's pretty funny. And yeah, the emperor and the shogun are technically two separate power bases. But in practice, during the entire shogunate period, the emperor was essentially a figurehead with no real power. Add to that the fact that modern Japan claims to be the legal successor to both, and the period in which the two existed as separate independent autonomous countries is limited (on a par with the few months in which the Ottoman Empire and the Republic of Turkey existed simultaneously), and there's fairly solid grounds for living it as is.

As for Britain, there was a certain civil war lasting a few years which featured monarchist and republican factions. And my "Commonwealth" colour is intended to specifically cover situations that either exclude the British Isles (e.g., Angrezi Raj) or act as an umbrella multinational colour NOT dominated by the UK (no OTL examples). Mercia had a substantial history as an independent country lasting a few centuries.
Yes, but please be reminded that this is a color scheme for alternate history.
It could be quite possible that an empire versus a shogunate TL could pop up and they'll ask why there's no shogunate color like in TACOS.

Whether you call it an empire, shogunate, teikoku, bakufu, or something else, it still simply amounts to "primary monarchist Japanese state". For X2, I have secondary (and tertiary) Japanese state colours too, which would be used in a situation where an emperor and a shogun were competing.

If there became a need for it and I were using toaster, I'd probably end up using Japanese yellow for the primary one, and whichever regional colour corresponded to the centre of power for the secondary one. If neither had a genuine case for legitimacy as the rightful ruler of all Japan (or both had equally strong claims), I'd use the appropriate regional colour for both.

Edit to Add: Having separate "Japanese emperor" and "Japanese shogunate" colours would be like having separate "British monarchy" and "British dukedom" colours. Both words basically mean hereditary autocracy (aka monarchism).

Last edited:
Firstlyy, there is no Basque colour on Toaster or somebody accidentally removed it.

Secondly, what colour do you use for nature? Nature itself I mean: Terra nullus would be the most appropriate, but I should distinguish between Nature and unclaimed land in this case. It is a "state" (or: former state) which has been cleansed of humans - or rnearly so - by Kaufmanist methods and then given over to nature. Like in Population: Zero or Life after People, but regional

Firstlyy, there is no Basque colour on Toaster or somebody accidentally removed it.

Secondly, what colour do you use for nature? Nature itself I mean: Terra nullus would be the most appropriate, but I should distinguish between Nature and unclaimed land in this case. It is a "state" (or: former state) which has been cleansed of humans - or rnearly so - by Kaufmanist methods and then given over to nature. Like in Population: Zero or Life after People, but regional
I think the Basque color is "Navarre, Democratic/Liberal Spain".

Would a slightly darker version of "Unclaimed wilderness" work (such as 87c37e0)?

If it's nature that is not being actively maintained or protected as such by any nation, then that's pretty much what terra nullus is.

If a particular country is maintaining it in a natural state, then it would logically be in that country's colour. If it's just a regular national park (i.e., open for tourism and/or commercial/industrial exploitation in any way), I wouldn't even both marking it as such on a map. If it is being watched over in such a way as to prevent any human exploitation of the land (possibly with the exception of "no-contact" stone age aborigines), that might be worthy of using the paler II shade, assuming that shade isn't being used for something else on the map.

If a particular country is maintaining it in a natural state, then it would logically be in that country's colour.

A genocidal "puppet regime" had/has been installed for that purpose... I think I might end up using "Sentient Plants" for it, even though there are no sentient plants involved.

If it is being watched over in such a way as to prevent any human exploitation of the land (possibly with the exception of "no-contact" stone age aborigines), that might be worthy of using the paler II shade,

That might be worth a try, too!

Japan_key.png

Japan Additional Information.

Sine I'm an otaku and Japan is an important contibutor to popular culture, I couldn't refrain from adding various ASB/Pop Cult references.
You might find the one or another hidden easter eggs in the red text. If someone wants to know them all and their background meaning, ask me via PM. (Not spoiling here ^^)

There are some changes I've done:
I've relocated Kansai and Kanto to the "Basic" Ideology states due to their Importance. They sort-of add extra ideologies.
I've also swapped the pink-ish Color of Sec. Tohoku With a custom color. I've decided that due to the common synonym of traditional Japan with the Cherry Blossoms, That the Yamato People as the first Japanese should get this color. Tohoku has got a grey-ish color to indicate a possible industrial decay state. Primary Kanto also is Displayed as Greater Tokyo, possibly usable for Futuristic/Robot-led/Anarcho-Capitalist Japan.
I've decided to make a difference of Imperial, Shogunate and Liberal as these do vastly distinct ach other (@Ashtagon yes they do).
I've also swapped some Pokemon references into secondary or tertiary as most of these regions have a moch more "important" history (hence why nintendo chose them)
Additionally, I've added some Clans/Kingdoms, Foreign influence and Kami/Youkai states (for possible fantasy fun).

At last, I've corrected some typing errors such as Ryukyu being written as Ryuku.

Korea remains the same as before. No changes here.

You know, if any faction should be yellow in Japan, it would be the imperial faction, what with that being the colour of the emperor's mon.

I'm not an otaku (which is actually a bit of an insulting term in Japan btw), but I did spend five years in Japan and am conversant in the language.

How do you feel about the fact that Japan is still an empire (it's got an imperial family which still has an official (albeit ceremonial) role in Japanese politics?

As an aside, the correct term is not "tetriary"; it's "quaternary". https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-comes-after-primary-secondary-tertiary

You know, if any faction should be yellow in Japan, it would be the imperial faction, what with that being the colour of the emperor's mon.

[...]
How do you feel about the fact that Japan is still an empire (it's got an imperial family which still has an official (albeit ceremonial) role in Japanese politics?
I intended it to make the difference between the ancient/Meji/Hirohito Empire and the modern one.
Especially regarding that after 1945, The emperor was not "The highest and god-like creature in Japan/the world" but was on the same step as the people. (This was educated as the US occupied Japan)

It's supposed to show a difference between "military government" (Shogun), "Conservative/Imperial Japan" and "Modern Japan".
That's why I made al lthree of them.

Germany has Monarchist plus Imperial, and Republican plus Modern as colors. Why shouldn't Japan?
(which is actually a bit of an insulting term in Japan btw)
I know that, but the whole western world seems to not so I say it so people can understand it.

As an aside, the correct term is not "tetriary"; it's "quaternary". https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-comes-after-primary-secondary-tertiary
*shrug* I just stole the word from somewhere else on the Color Scheme as I had to manually make the text since I don't have the font or letter size. I think it was from Congo.

Germany actually has two imperials (HRE and German Empire) and not monarchist colour, so meh. Of those though, the German Empire of 1871-1918-ish was really more of an uber-Prussia than a whole-Germany thing, which is why I can go along with having a separate colour for it; notably, Prussia existed at one time as a component of the HRE, at another as 50/50 in and out of the HRE and later as the dominant force in German politics.

I'm not sure I'd call the shogunate thing a military government. It was a rule by strength of arms, and hereditary, which is pretty much all you need to be called monarchist too. In pre-modern times, it's not really meaningful to force a distinction.

And yes, the emperor might legally be just another man, but I met plenty of Japanese folk who considered him at least semi-divine (to be sure, plenty consider him human too).

Germany actually has two imperials (HRE and German Empire) and not monarchist colour, so meh. Of those though, the German Empire of 1871-1918-ish was really more of an uber-Prussia than a whole-Germany thing, which is why I can go along with having a separate colour for it; notably, Prussia existed at one time as a component of the HRE, at another as 50/50 in and out of the HRE and later as the dominant force in German politics.

I'm not sure I'd call the shogunate thing a military government. It was a rule by strength of arms, and hereditary, which is pretty much all you need to be called monarchist too. In pre-modern times, it's not really meaningful to force a distinction.

And yes, the emperor might legally be just another man, but I met plenty of Japanese folk who considered him at least semi-divine (to be sure, plenty consider him human too).
"Upper Austria, Conervative Germany
Lower Austria, Monarchist Germany"

Germany has Prussia, Monarchist, Conservative and HRE for Empire, and Republican plus unified for Democratic.

The shogun and the Emperor coexisted so I think that it should be necessary to divide these. Maps are becoming more detailed and detailed. PLUS what you're forgetting is that this is mainly for Alternate history.
a TL in the Daimyo Area could allow Both factions competing while other ideologies sparking up as well (such as democracy, Commie etc) especially when it's a very early POD or the Opening of Japan happens later with the Europeans influencing Japanese ideologies (Or whatfck). I also just find it important to include both. And if you argue that the emperor just was puppets during the shogun eras, Hell, on this map are Kugelmugel and Sealand, thus I demand split of shogunate and Emperor.

-----
Follwing your logic we should only have four Americas instead of 20-30: Commie, Fascist, Democatic and CSA, Since Right-leaning, Slightly Right, Center, Slightly Left, Rather Left and Depression US are all just democracies.
-----------------
In General, I also think that the US chart is WAAAYYYY to overdetailed.
It's longer than Asia and Germany together.

"Follwing your logic we should only have four Americas instead of 20-30: Commie, Fascist, Democatic and CSA, Since Right-leaning, Slightly Right, Center, Slightly Left, Rather Left and Depression US are all just democracies."

Well, yeah, pretty much. I always understood those very/slightly/rather/quite right/left/whatever leaning ones to be part of an extended joke rather than a serious part of the scheme.