To the Victor, Go the Spoils (Redux): A Plausible Central Powers Victory

Why? Why...Why!!!!Why should you kill of FDR??
> Quentin Survives

b80087b8-950a-49e2-9121-bcbc7bd921f5_text.gif

In all seriousness though, in real life he actually very narrowly avoided death there. I figure often in reality things that seem ridiculous take place more often than in AH timelines - so I opted for a small butterfly here to keep things original, while remaining realistic.

> Quentin Survives

b80087b8-950a-49e2-9121-bcbc7bd921f5_text.gif

In all seriousness though, in real life he actually very narrowly avoided death there. I figure often in reality things that seem ridiculous take place more often than in AH timelines - so I opted for a small butterfly here to keep things original, while remaining realistic.
Tbf I often see ppl going for realism too hard in tls and it doesn't feel like actual history because irl history is bonkers at times.

Here's hoping the GOP manages to kill "liberal internationalism" in the cradle for good this time by alienating Britain and France -- let America's business be business, without any Whiggish Wilsonian whims.

Here's hoping the GOP manages to kill "liberal internationalism" in the cradle for good this time by alienating Britain and France -- let America's business be business, without any Whiggish Wilsonian whims.
That's all well and good until the German Empire decides that it could use some New World colonies and decides that a rich and isolated America would be the perfect target.

That's all well and good until the German Empire decides that it could use some New World colonies and decides that a rich and isolated America would be the perfect target.
What? No, seriously, what? How could you think that that could possibly end in anything but utter disaster - for the Germans? The American Navy remains mighty and with Germany having countless other obligations throughout the world, where would they gather the resources to pull that shit off?

I'm sure all the people in Eastern Europe along with the British would be more than happy to take advantage of such suicidal stupidity. No, there will be no German colonies in the Americas. What is this, the 16th Century?

What? No, seriously, what? How could you think that that could possibly end in anything but utter disaster - for the Germans? The American Navy remains mighty and with Germany having countless other obligations throughout the world, where would they gather the resources to pull that shit off?

I'm sure all the people in Eastern Europe along with the British would be more than happy to take advantage of such suicidal stupidity. No, there will be no German colonies in the Americas. What is this, the 16th Century?
It was an exaggeration, but like you said this isn't the 16th century, this is the dawn of the 20th where isolated nations tend not to do very well. Britain had it's own period of 'splendid isolation' and it sought out allies specifically to end that period because without help, your nation is doomed to be torn down.

In this TL where there are a lot of competing Great Powers, any hint of isolation can be taken as a sign of weakness and the other powers will go after you.

There is more yellow-cake uranium in Iraq than there is, ITTL or IOTL, a German naval capability or desire to directly attack the United States beyond u-boats in wartime; they also never got any farther than a merchant community in Haiti when exploring options in the Caribbean, where there is also Britain to worry about.

Posturing was necessary in Europe; less so in the pre-nuclear age for a two-ocean power with yuge industry and, worst comes to worst, big mountains keeping the heartland safe past the coasts.

To quote Lincoln "All the armies of Europe and Asia...could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years."

Besides, if they want Free Real Estate (TM) they have more than enough of it dragging them eastward...

Last edited:
Great update, TheReformer. Once again, I like how you involve OTL people in your ATL, people of whom I have never heard of and am enjoying learning about like Ole Hanson, Luigi Galleani and Carlo Valdinoci. Not only am I learning more about my own country's OTL history but you are preparing me to be a formidable contestant if I ever go on the game show "Jeopardy".

Great stuff! I’m a Seattleite so interesting to see Hanson make his volte face to the right here as iOTL. Too bad about FDR but QR is around at least!