Chapter 14: The Seaborne Knight
Chapter 14
The Seaborne Knight
The Sound
May 1522

The pennant in the foremast snapped vigorously in the wind. Peder Skram’s eyes followed the gilded lettering streaming from the canton, a square halved in deep blue and crimson, with a silver bar crossing the former.

“What does it say?”

Olav, the crossbowman assigned to him, climbed the steps to the forecastle, his tousled hair peeking out from under a woollen cap.

Agni dei, miserere mei.” he answered. “It’s Latin.”[1]

“God’s teeth, I bloody well knew that.” Despite his casual blasphemy, the Vestfold man had a peaceful look upon his face. Under them the Maria seesawed steadily across the choppy waters of the Sound, the great hulls of the royal fleet following in their wake.

“But, begging the young sir’s pardon, what does it mean. Only, me and some of the lads were wondering.”

You mean you were thinking of taking bets, he thought to himself. Life at sea could be dreadfully dull after all. Not that he minded. Better to die of boredom than from an unseen bolt fired by some half-savage Tiveden forrester.

“It means, Lamb of God, look kindly upon me. It’s a message of piety, Olav Haraldsson.”

The Norwegian snorted and spat a lump of phlegm over the railing. “Aye, he inspires right piety in his neighbour, our admiral does.”

Peder raised an eyebrow. The Admiral in the Eastern Sea[2] was not known to be overtly religious. He took his mass, but he was no eager deacon-kisser or candle-lighter. However, neither was he beholden to the evangelical cause, as some of the other men of quality. In all things, he kept his own counsel save for that of Christian, the king, and if he did pray, it was for the wind to fill his sails.

Seeing his disbelief, Olav grinned widely, revealing a row of crooked teeth. “You see, sir, whenever the Victuals[3] face our banners they pray as if it were Easter.”

He laughed and thumped the Norwegian on the back of his padded doublet. The sun was shining and whitecaps crowned the ember green waves. In a day or two they would drop anchor off Travemünde and then the Wends would truly have reason to pray.

The sailor’s life was not so bad after all.

Dawn broke as the fleet passed the westernmost cliffs of Møn. Not long after, they had the larger isles of Lolland and Falster on their starboard side. By noon they saw the fires. Large, fat columns of smoke rising lazily from charred farmsteads along the coast. Peder noticed Olav steadying himself on the railing.

“Jesus Maria,” he heard the crossbowman mutter, “I guess we’re at war then.” The admiral seemed to agree. Within a minute the call to quarters issued forth from the stern. In the topmast, the battle standard, a heavy woollen flag with a white cross flashing on a background dyed blood-red, went up.

One by one, the lumbering carracks moved to the front of the squadron; the Angel on their port, the rest forming a steady line anchored close to the shore - their forecastles and battle-decks awash with marines and gunners.

No more than an hour had passed before the look-out’s sharp cry called “sails ahoy!”

A dozen heavy warships were desperately trying to arrange themselves against them. Squinting his eyes, he could just make out the crimson striped banners, hemming in the double-headed eagle of the imperial cities on a yellow field.

As he made his way from the forecastle, Olav trailed after him; the Norwegian’s quiver of bolts bumping against his padded hoses. They found admiral Norby at the quarter deck, a score of captains around him. He inclined his head politely as they approached.

“Sir Skram. Is the enemy afloat?” He could feel the bile creeping up his throat, but drowned it by a deep breath, before answering. “My lord admiral, they are indeed. A dozen warships, headed by four carracks. Plenty of pirates and plenty of guns.” The wind pulled gently at his master’s thick beard, streamed in silver. He signalled to an orderly, who smartly handed him his sword belt. As he secured it around his waist, he smiled grimly at the young knight.

“Then let’s annihilate them” he said, before adding, to a breast-plated captain with a bald pate and an enormous, fiery moustache, “My good sir Brahe, volley until we board. No quarter.”

“Volley until we board. No quarter,” came the reply.

He had barely made it back to the forecastle before the Maria shuttered violently from the first broadside. Smoke blossomed from the attacking line, hovering over the waters like a heavy charcoal mist of saltpeter and sulphur. The Hansa carracks and cogs responded in kind, but their barrage fell short and great cascades of water erupted from where their cannon balls struck the water surface.

We have the wind, he sighed thankfully.

A second great shutter; like an earthquake from the depths, accompanied by a rolling thunder heralded the second volley of the royal fleet. Peder drew his longsword and dirk. His breastplate and greaves tightly leashed across his chest and thighs. He had tasted battle before, but this - this was different. As the enemy ships came nearer and nearer, he thought: At least there will be no destriers with guts spilling over me this time[4].

The shattering groan of impact rivalled the thunderous roar of the guns. Olav and the other Vestfold crossbowmen hollered in their sing-song voices as they unleashed a wave of bolts on the enemy deck. Picking up a cry of “Christ alone!” Peder launched himself over the railing.

It was pure armageddon. Splinters of wood flew everywhere, musket balls and arrows sang as they passed overhead. Rigging and sails were tattered beyond recognition. A yard fell from the sky, crushing two men who had been hacking away at each other. As he tried to make sense of it all, a burly man in a yellow doublet came at him, swinging a falchion like a butcher’s cleaver. He parried with a sword-stroke and drove the dirk into the man’s exposed rib cage, twisting the blade as it entered. The marine collapsed on the planks and Peder looked around for his next opponent.

He soon lost himself in the fight. A sailor tried to stab him with a dagger, so he cut off his hand and left him howling on the blood-slippery deck. Another managed to slid a broadsword over his breastplate before the young knight hammered a gauntleted fist through the man’s teeth. They had rammed the last ship on the enemy’s extreme port flank. From the corner of his eye, he saw the Angel slid past them, cutting behind the Hanseatic battle line. Her gunports wide open, unleashing a merciless scourge on the enemy’s exposed rear.

It did not take long after she had gotten behind them before the Lübeckians lost the will to fight. Only three cogs, however, managed to disentangle themselves from the encirclement. The remainder of the enemy vessels were either taken or so thoroughly battered that they would sink within the hour. Exhausted as he had never been before, Peder sat dawn on a barrel, resting his arms on the cross-guard of his sword.

Across the deck he saw Olav pulling a gold tooth from the ruined mouth of a dead sailor.

When the Norwegian caught his eye, he smiled and waved.

It was very late in the afternoon before they had tallied the butcher’s bill. Two carracks had been taken without too much damage and would join the fleet. The two others were in the process of sinking. The five remaining enemy vessels, a collection of refurbished cogs and trade ships, were all in a sorry state, most of their crews dead or wounded. Without much ceremony, the admiral ordered them to be burned.

Next up came the captives. Norby was seated on a crate, his Frisian brother-in-law and captain of the Angel, Tile Giseler, by his side. Peder stood a little back, unable to discern what the Hanseatic seamen told the admiral. Apparently, it wasn’t pleasant.

“Skram!” the admiral’s voice cracked like a whip through the dusk. Quickly, he made his way through the throng of soldiers and marines, to hover next to the aging sea dog.

“Sir.”

“Dear me. You look like Lazarus. Have you been wounded?” He shook his head in response, too tired to explain. The admiral, apparently satisfied, continued matter of factly: “These men bring us some disturbing news. They claim the king’s uncle has crossed into Jutland with a sizeable host and taken many castles with the help of some of His Grace’s wayward Jutish councillors. His Grace himself is either captured or fled,” he looked thoughtfully at the captives. “They can’t seem to agree.”

Captured or fled. That could mean anything. And everything.

“You will command one of the taken ships, return it to the capital and relay what has happened here. We, in turn, will immediately steer towards the Funen belt and secure the crossing where you will rejoin us with whatever strength you can gather. Do you understand your, commission, sir?”

He nodded.

“Good.” The admiral rose wearily, dusting off his hoses with crumbled gloves. Awkwardly, Giseler leaned in, placing a hand on his brother-in-law’s shoulder.

“What of the prisoners?” he asked quietly in a hacking Frisian accent.

“Oh. Right.” The admiral paused for a moment, seemingly lost in thought.

“Hang the officers. Throw the others over the railing. Burn the ships.”

A pious man indeed, our Admiral, thought Peder Skram.

NTeHGSh.png

Author's Notes: I had originally planned for this chapter to be smaller and more of an intermission kind of post. However, I couldn’t stop writing when I first got into it. Apparently, I’ve missed doing narrative updates. I hope you enjoyed it and won’t mind the break in styles.

The Danish navy of OTL was of a size and quality that it could easily measure itself with the combined might of the Wendish and Danzig Hansa towns. However, in OTL, the long and expensive wars in Sweden had resulted in the land forces being given priority and the navy as a result became rather mothballed. ITTL, the situation is quite different.

Also, today marks one year since I started this timeline. A big thank you is owed to all those who’ve replied with encouragement and kind suggestions. It’s really appreciated!

[1]These were the words Søren Norby put on the coins he minted on Gotland in OTL when he held the isle in Christian II’s name after the king had been exiled. The canton on the flag is his family coat of arms.

[2]One of the titles of the Danish supreme admiral. Eastern Sea simply means Baltic. Another was “Supreme centurion and chief of all captains” which to be honest, sounds a bit like an album by Sabatton.

[3]A band of German pirates who as late as the 1440s infested the Baltic. Olav uses it as a catch-all for Hanseatic privateers.

[4]If you’ll recall, Peder Skram earned his knighthood in 1519 when he saved the king’s standard bearer at the Battle of Örebro by ramming his glaive into the Lord Steward’s destrier.

Last edited:
Two updates in a week :O

Overall it’s an exacellent one full of action and definite proof of piety on the Admirals part :p

With a united Scandinavian realm there will be less revolts overall and the damages from famines will be somewhat mitigated by the combined resources of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland being used to deal with them instead of just one country. This will cause Scandinavia's population to grow more than OTL but like Milites pointed out, Scandinavia doesn't have a high population limit and that won't change until industrialization and better agriculture develops. So much of the excess population will end up going to the new world (both voluntarily or involuntarily), which will have the benefits of both helping Scandinavia colonize and increasing stability at home.

My thoughts as well with so much land available to them Christian will have a great place to put excess population and maybe any troublesome nobility basically telling that sure you’ve rebelled so you either suffer the consequences here or go to the New World and make new estates there for the good of the realm.

Last edited:
This is a change of pace. Good job.

Norby has already lived up to his reputation. Beating a dozen Hanseatic warships, only three getting away, two carracks captured and the rest burned/sunk, and all before he even knew war was declared. It's no Battle of Lepanto, but it is something of a morale boost for Norby's direct subordinates and a nasty poke in the eye of Lubeck. Maybe more importantly, he'll be securing the Little Belt before the news reached Copenhagen and the warships there. It might have been the plan of the conspirators to use those several days to use Hansa ships to transport the Jutish armies.

So Christian is either captured or fled...if the enemies can be believed. It wasn't an unknown tactic to pacify any resistance by spreading such fake rumors. Loyalists would be less likely to resist if they think the king is captured. If they are, at least broadly, true, it could change a lot. It would be a very unexpected turn if Christian was indeed captured. It would give his supporters a chance to shine, especially if said capture occurred through dishonest means. Last chapter, it basically ended with Christian resolved to go personally to his uncle's ducal court. They could have ambushed him then. Would light a fire under the loyalists to not submit to such dishonorable conspirators, even if said conspirators point to Christian's coronation charter as providing the legal context for rebelling, imprisoning, and overthrowing him. If his supporters prevent the rebellion from spreading and the Emperor, Christian's goodbrother, pressures them, there might be some of the conspirators urging the king's release for a better peace deal. (Do I sense a possible Lubeck Bloodbath :rolleyes:) More likely, Christian was either tipped off or Frederick started moving before Christian arrived. Christian then 'fled' back to Copenhagen to rally his own forces.

A few thoughts about population growth, Scandinavia are less limited than we usual expect, there was a lot of potential agricultural land even if it was mariginal. The main problem was that it demanded a lot of work to make it useful. But what’s more important is that with the continued contact with the Dutch, we will likely see a earlier introduction of red clover and maybe also potatoes. Red clover are mostly revolutionary in Denmark, Gotland, Svealand and the Central Swedish Lowland. But even limited to those regions, it can revolutionize agriculture. Potatoes on the other hand can pretty much be grown everywhere. A earlier introduction of it, would pretty much open northern Fennoscandinavia up for colonisation three centuries earlier.

Another thing, given a general lack of intra-scandinavian wars i could easily see most of southern Sweden (everything south of the lakes at least) be heavily deforested and cultivated to a comparable degree as the danish isles

Last edited:
Population is also related to wealth, a more prosperous Scandinavia can import food and therefore have a higher population. Once colonies in the New World start supplying maize/corn/fish etc the OTL populations are less relevant. Another knock on is that Scandinavia would probably industrialize earlier to supply the colonies which could mean less emmigration later.

Another thing, given a general lack of intra-scandinavian wars i could easily see most of southern Sweden (everything south of the lakes at least) be heavily deforested and cultivated to a comparable degree as the danish isles

I think Småland/Smaaland would still be heavily forested, to my knowledge it only have a thin layer of topsoil on top of the crystalline basement (grundfjeld) and it’s relative high up. What we likely will see instead are the 19th century development of Småland happening earlier with a lot of small scale rural manufacturing of especially glass and wooden object with the workers having small farms. Instead we will likely see the area between Gothenburg and Stockholm with a north border at Vänern and a south border at Vättern being transformed into a bread basket earlier, and likely to much greater extent (this region I called the Central Swedish Lowland). In OTL the Danish 18th century agricultural improvements building on red clover wasn’t introduced in Sweden, but here with greater contact with Netherlands, they will be introduced earlier to Denmark, and with Denmark and Sweden in union, they will make it to Sweden too. The major problem is that red clover introduction benefit from economy of scale, which mean that any nobility owning land in the region will become powerful and we will likely see a push for the rights of the peasantry to be weakened there. We saw something similar in Svealand in the 18th century.

That’s one of the interesting aspect with the peasantry of Scandinavia outside the rich farmers around Copenhagen, the peasantry tended to be individual richer and in general more powerful in less productive areas, because the nobility was weaker there thanks to the lack of economy of scale in these region.

The Central Swedish Lowland would also be the natural place for first large canal projects and if those are build it will likely turn into the proto-industrial area in Scandinavia thanks to the easy access to fuel and raw material.

Also important demographic groups in early modern Nordic countries

The Forest Finns: people from eastern Finland, who expanded in 16-18th century re-introducing slash and burn agriculture. While they only settled in Finland, northern Sweden and eastern Norway (plus Russia), their agriculture would also have done well in Småland, a state with greater focus on agriculture would likely also have pushed them to settle there.

Ostrobothnian Swedes: these Swedes settle along the northern Finnish coast, they was settled there to establish pine tar production, earlier introduction of potatoes would likely mean they settled more of the coast and maybe even more inland.

The Dutch: In OTL Denmark saw some Dutch settlement in the early and late 16th century. The first was farmers settled by Christian II, @Milites have already made some changes to this group. I could see these also being settled by Christian II in the Central Swedish Lowland and in Scania. A interssting aspect becomes later under the Dutch revolution where Dutch refugees settled in Nordic cities, if the Oldenburg have kept Dutch immigration going, we could likely see a new wave being settled in rural areas too.

The Scots: Until the English-Scottish Union Denmark was one of the main emigration target for Scots.

Thanks for the attention, guys! As always it's appreciated. If you have any thoughts/feedback on the narrative part feel free to bring it forth!

I see that that Denmark got a lot of northern Germany from the HRE including big cities like Hamburg and Lubeck. How will the increased German population affect Danish and Scandinavian language and culture assuming they are able to keep their gains long term? I can't see the German language overtaking Danish or a united Norse language but I could see some German words added to it. Ironically German may have a bigger impact in the new world because if the Germans get uppity the Danes could send the troublemakers to their colonies where the Germans end up assimilating but not before their language and culture adds to the Danish/united Norse language and culture that develops there.

Dittmarschen, the city and bishopric of Lübeck, the city of Hamburg and the county of Pinneberg haven't been annexed to the Danish realm as such. The agreement between Charles V and Christian II only transfers the immediate right of enfeoffement from the bishop of Lübeck to the king of Denmark. As such, the domains remain very much independent, but under the suzerainty of the emperor's brother-in-law. Therefore, it's not really within Christian's powers to deport or banish their citizens to the New World, however much he might have liked to :D

Two updates in a week :O

Overall it’s an exacellent one full of action and definite proof of piety on the Admirals part :p

Don't get your hopes up ;)

Narrative updates take far less time to research than standard chapters. Just for the next-coming update, I had to take out a sizeable amount of litterature from the university's cellars. But hey, that's what makes this fun, right?

This is a change of pace. Good job.

See above :p

Norby has already lived up to his reputation. Beating a dozen Hanseatic warships, only three getting away, two carracks captured and the rest burned/sunk, and all before he even knew war was declared. It's no Battle of Lepanto, but it is something of a morale boost for Norby's direct subordinates and a nasty poke in the eye of Lubeck. Maybe more importantly, he'll be securing the Little Belt before the news reached Copenhagen and the warships there. It might have been the plan of the conspirators to use those several days to use Hansa ships to transport the Jutish armies.

In OTL, the Hansa (the Wendish cities as well as Danzig) had a combined fleet of some 40 war ships arrayed to take control over the Belts and ensure Frederick's invasion of the isles. Christian II had roughly half of that and, as I wrote in the notes for the most recent update, the navy had taken a back-seat to the land forces when it came to both funding and attention. Still, the mere rumour that Norby was descending on the Fehmarn Belt with "a sizeable host" was enough to send them fleeing back to Lübeck.

ITTL, Danzig is not a part of the coalition and is not likely to be so. The all important iron trade with Sweden is up and running and the burgomasters couldn't really care of feudal rights in the Lower Saxon circle (that's my take at least). I don't have the figures, but without the Danzigian squadrons the loss of 9 large warships is going to smart rather badly for the Holstenian war effort.

So Christian is either captured or fled...if the enemies can be believed. It wasn't an unknown tactic to pacify any resistance by spreading such fake rumors. Loyalists would be less likely to resist if they think the king is captured. If they are, at least broadly, true, it could change a lot. It would be a very unexpected turn if Christian was indeed captured. It would give his supporters a chance to shine, especially if said capture occurred through dishonest means. Last chapter, it basically ended with Christian resolved to go personally to his uncle's ducal court. They could have ambushed him then. Would light a fire under the loyalists to not submit to such dishonorable conspirators, even if said conspirators point to Christian's coronation charter as providing the legal context for rebelling, imprisoning, and overthrowing him. If his supporters prevent the rebellion from spreading and the Emperor, Christian's goodbrother, pressures them, there might be some of the conspirators urging the king's release for a better peace deal. (Do I sense a possible Lubeck Bloodbath :rolleyes:) More likely, Christian was either tipped off or Frederick started moving before Christian arrived. Christian then 'fled' back to Copenhagen to rally his own forces.

The ius resistendi is an extremely fascinating constitutional paragraph. I know that Hungary and Bohemia were elective monarchies somewhat alike Denmark and Sweden at the time, but I haven't heard of such provisions in other 'constitutions' at this point in history.

Furthermore, the paragraph stipulated that it was only in the case of the king refusing to be 'educated' by his council that a rebellion was justified. As the text shows:

"wele wii tha engelunde lade oss wnderuise" / "shall we not let Ourselves be taught"

In OTL, this was not followed through. Christian II at first pointed to the accession charter and told the rebellious Jutes that he would indeed heed their council. Something they refused to even consider. A reasonable enough course of action given the king's Machiavellian behaviour in Stockholm. It does, however, illuminate a springing point about the right of resistance: it was a legal term, but there existed no institution to judge or arbitrate if the council deemed that the king should be deposed. In the end, it all came down to raw strengt - as the case with Knut Alvsson had proven.

A few thoughts about population growth, Scandinavia are less limited than we usual expect, there was a lot of potential agricultural land even if it was mariginal. The main problem was that it demanded a lot of work to make it useful. But what’s more important is that with the continued contact with the Dutch, we will likely see a earlier introduction of red clover and maybe also potatoes. Red clover are mostly revolutionary in Denmark, Gotland, Svealand and the Central Swedish Lowland. But even limited to those regions, it can revolutionize agriculture. Potatoes on the other hand can pretty much be grown everywhere. A earlier introduction of it, would pretty much open northern Fennoscandinavia up for colonisation three centuries earlier.

That's interesting! Would you be interested in elaborating on the red clover and its benefits for agricultural development? I'm afraid that it's not among my core strengths.

Population is also related to wealth, a more prosperous Scandinavia can import food and therefore have a higher population. Once colonies in the New World start supplying maize/corn/fish etc the OTL populations are less relevant. Another knock on is that Scandinavia would probably industrialize earlier to supply the colonies which could mean less emmigration later.

That's also an interesting point. Could Christian's endeavours in expanding the mining operations in Norway be considered a sign of proto-industrial development?

The Dutch: In OTL Denmark saw some Dutch settlement in the early and late 16th century. The first was farmers settled by Christian II, @Milites have already made some changes to this group. I could see these also being settled by Christian II in the Central Swedish Lowland and in Scania. A interssting aspect becomes later under the Dutch revolution where Dutch refugees settled in Nordic cities, if the Oldenburg have kept Dutch immigration going, we could likely see a new wave being settled in rural areas too.

I doubt they'd be settled in Sweden any time soon. Royal control is still extremely brittle and the merchants and burghers of Sweden were extremely prickly when it came to their privileges and ancient rights. Bad enough to have the Germans running around.

The Scots: Until the English-Scottish Union Denmark was one of the main emigration target for Scots.

Ugh, more litterature to pile on my reading list! However, I must say that I find Scots settling Denmark to be a very amiable notion.

Chapter 15: When the Wind Gives In
Chapter 15
When the Wind Gives In

On the 14th of May 1522, the Day of Saint Matthew the Apostle, Christian II took mass at the Franciscan convent in Odense. He had brought with him the flower of the Zealandic and Scanian knighthood: a hundred armed and armoured riders, headed by sirs Henrik Gøye and Mogens Gyldenstjerne. As the king knelt in the quire, observers noted how his auburn brow was knitted in obvious concentration. Troubling news had been crossing the Little Belt in shorthand despatches ever since the royal party came over from the capital. Some said peasants were rising against the king’s sheriffs and tax officials whilst others, conversely, claimed that the Jutish countryside was wholly at peace. We know for a fact that the king was aware that some sort of unrest was fermenting on the peninsula. In a letter to queen Elisabeth dated the previous day, Christian II wrote:

Wiider kiere frwe, at wore raadt oc gode mend oc en stoor deell aff almwgen vtj Nöriutland haffuer saat seg vp emodt oss oc giort en stor forsamblinge oc wilde slaget met oss oc wore folck…

Know, dear madam, that Our council and nobles and a great part of the commoners in Northern Jutland have risen against us and made a great assembly and means to fight Us and our men…”[1]

Nevertheless, the king must have felt confident that he could bring the dissatisfied councillors back into the fold. His convictions were strengthened by the arrival of a letter written in his uncle’s very own hand, informing him that the duke was heading north to meet him at Koldinghus on the ducal border. There they could solve the Gottorpian Gordian Knot amicably. Christian II was supposedly rather pleased that Frederick had finally left his cozy nest, which he mistook for a desperate attempt to placate him. As such, he resolved to cross over to Jutland and meet his estranged uncle and receive his subordination.

Nothing, however, could have been further from the truth. The duke was indeed coming north, but his cause was revenge, not reconciliation. Neither was he travelling alone.

Frederick had raised a considerable host of between two and three thousand Frisian levies from the Western marches of Holstein, a force augmented by several companies of noble Holstenian cavalry as well as one thousand Landsknechts and 300 armoured Reiters. However, the urgency of the conspiracy had trumped the need for secrecy. The ducal party was desperate to finance the coming feud with the king, but had to minimize the loans obtained at the famed Kieler Umschlag[2] in order not to draw the attention of Christian’s agents in the duchies. As such, the mercenary core of Frederick’s army was considerably smaller than what he theoretically might have been able to put in the field[3].

The ducal army was headed by the daring cavalry commander Johan Rantzau, who had won fame and fortune during the king’s Swedish campaign three years before whilst the hired troops were commanded by the Lower Saxon condottieri captains Segebode Freytagk, Christoffer von Veltheim and Johann, the Count of Hoya[4]. As soon as news of Christian’s crossing from Zealand to Funen reached Gottorp, Frederick marshalled his troops. On the 12th of May mounted messengers darted forth to order the equestrian nobility of the duchies to rally to the ducal cause. In Holstein, every single castle and city answered Frederick’s call, save for the royal stronghold of Segeberg and the market town of Oldesloe where, a combined force of Lübeck-financed mercenaries and Holstenian knights seized the castle and town by force. An ill-prepared sea-borne attack on the isle of Fehmern was repelled, but the Hanseatic fleet effectively quarantined the island, preventing any news of the duke’s movements from reaching the king on Funen.

At the same time, the 51 year old Frederick led his main host North from Gottorp. As in Holstein, the most important cities and castles of Schleswig opened their gates to him: only the citizens of Flensborg succeeded in repulsing the Holstenian troops[5]. Thus, when Christian took mass in Odense, his uncle had already seized most of the duchies for himself and proceeded to link arms with a small force of Jutish knights at Tørning castle. Undeterred, the king landed in Jutland with his one hundred man strong entourage on Friday the 16th of May, determined to meet his uncle at Koldinghus and woefully unaware of the general rising, which by now was in effect throughout the peninsula.

EBXjHz2.png

A skirmish between cavalry during the Frederickian Feud. Engraving from the Oldenburgische Chronicon by an unknown artist, ca. 1563-99.

Word of the king’s decision to confront his uncle must have reached the councilar opposition gathered in Viborg sometime during the very first days of May. Having met around Easter, ostensibly in order to prepare for the anticipated conference between Christian and the duke, the Jutish council now sprung into action. Their undisputed primus inter pares and leader of the Council of Denmark’s Realm in Jutland Declared, as the rebel party termed itself[6] was Predbjørn Podebusk of Riberhus. He was seconded by the three ecclesiastical members of the council of the realm; Jørgen Friis, Iver Munk and Niels Stygge Rosenkrantz - bishops of Viborg, Ribe and Børglum respectively. Other important members of the conservative cabale were Niels Høg, fief-holder at Skivehus, and the wealthy Jutish noblemen Peder Lykke and Tyge Krabbe[7].

During the Sunday sermon of May 11th Jørgen Friis openly preached on the merits of the Lords Declarent. In his speech, the bishop of Viborg denounced the king as a heretic who had wantonly overstepped the constitutional restraints of his accession charter and as such, proven himself to be “... a manifest tyrant” whose governance it was every true Danishman’s duty to drive from the realm.

Afterwards, copies of the king’s secular and ecclesiastical laws were ceremoniously burned outside the cathedral, symbolically signalling the Jutish aristocracy’s declaration of an official feud against Christian II. Constitutionally speaking, the Jutish councilors had invoked the infamous ius resistendi and their law-given right to depose the king. In his place, they themselves were to act as the temporary head of the body politic. It has been argued that even though the Jutish revolt on the whole was characterised as a reactionary reply to royal reform, it contained a revolutionary element, given how the councilar role in government was drastically reinforced. Indeed when one considers the proclamation of rebellion, it almost seems as if the conspirators dreamed of establishing a noble republic, as the initial phrasing shows:

Thus in the name of the Holy Trinity we have united and made common cause in the defense of our honour, lives, necks and estates and have, with our own hands, signed this our declaration in order to protect and defend against, and verily never to suffer that such a man[8] should live in Denmark, Sweden and Norway [...] in this we shall utilize the highborn prince sir Frederick, by the grace of God duke etc., our noble master, who is born of true Danish blood and acts like a true Christian prince towards God and man alike [...]”[9]

Whether not Frederick was willing to let himself be “utilized” by the Jutish opposition seemingly never crossed the minds of the conspirators. Furthermore, even though the Viborg Declaration framed the councilor’s feud against Christian II as grounded in a united aristocratic front, the Danish nobility was hardly a political monolith. Indeed, some members of the lesser aristocracy voiced hopes that their demands could be met through some kind of negotiation, the “education of the sovereign” alluded to in the accession charter. When these suggestions were put to the leaders of the rebel party, sir Podebusk exploded in anger, declaring that he and the bishops “... would rather die in a single day or call in Frenchmen, Poles, Russians, Prussians, Muscovites or Turks to rule over them.”[10] In other words, there could be no talk of compromise. The dice had been cast.

Once the Viborg declaration had been presented, rebel forces swept out from their staging points in Western Jutland. Eiler Bryske, the fief-holder at Lundenæs, was driven from his castle when a strong host of levied peasants under the command of Tyge Krabbe threatened to storm it and slaughter its defenders. When he arrived at Bygholm castle, he swiftly sent messengers to Funen as well as south to Koldinghus, carrying word of the insurrection and urged the king to retaliate with all his might, going so far as to even encourage the king to “... burn down every single city and town beholden to rebellion.”[11]

The king, however, was in no position to burn anything to the ground. On the 16th of May he and his party landed at Hønbog castle and headed towards Koldinghus. The following day, just short of the city of Kolding, they were set upon by Frederick’s van of German mercenary cavalry. After some initial confusion, the Holstenian riders launched themselves on the king’s small force. Christian II was himself badly wounded in the melee whilst more than a score of his best knights were cut down trying to defend him. Henrik Gøye was unhorsed during the skirmish and subsequently captured by the ducal troops. Accompanied by a bloodied Mogens Gyldenstjerne and no more than 50 retainers, the king fled back towards Hønborg whilst his uncle’s men withdrew to cut off the city.

Oluf Nielsen Rosenkrantz, the fief-holder at Koldinghus, initially resolved to withstand the enemy, but the arrival of the Gottorpian main force the following day drastically reduced his will to resist. After a few days of fruitless negotiations, Frederick threatened Rosenkrantz that if he persisted in “... delaying them, then they will burn my farms and take all the estates I have in the realm…”[12] and ordered him to surrender or face the prospect of having the fortress taken by storm. Seeing that the castle under no circumstances could withstand the enemy, Rosenkrantz resolved to heed the duke’s command. In a letter to the king, the castellan lamented his predicament and officially repudiated his oath of loyalty to Christian in favour of his uncle. However, he also stressed that he only did so out of fear of what the duke’s men might do to him and his servants, kindly attaching Frederick’s proclamation. Unsurprisingly, no account of how Christian II received these news survives.

dd32aj0-1c9a3968-296d-4f21-b031-9ab731c6399a.png

The opening stages of the Frederickian Feud, also known as the Duke’s Feud. May 1522.

As the king licked his wounds at Hønborg, reports began to trickle in from the Northernmost parts of Jutland. In Aalborg, a caretaker administration headed by Henrik Gøye’s chancery had been driven from the city when a host of levies led by the bishop of Børglum’s lieutenants descended from Vendsyssel[13]. The rebels subsequently marched South through Aalborghus fief before splitting into two separate corps. One advanced East, seizing the Himmerland hundreds belonging to the bishop of Aarhus[14] (who had remained loyal to Christian II) whilst the second linked arms with the main councilar army at Viborg. The only good news to come South was the fact that the strong fortresses in Eastern Jutland: Tordrup, Skanderborg and Bygholm all remained faithful. Mogens Gyldenstjerne, who held the latter as a pledge-fief, immediately petitioned the king to go North in order to raise the commoners and the local rostjeneste in his defence.

After some deliberation, Christian II gave his consent and on the 19th, Gyldenstjerne subsequently crossed the Vejle Fjord in a small boat. The castles of Tordrup and Skanderborg, which guarded the approaches to the episcopal see of Aarhus, were held by the king’s friend Mogens Gøye. When news of the duke’s invasion, the rebellion of the Jutish council and the capture of his younger brother reached Gøye at Skanderborg, he immediately called up his peasants and roused them to defend their sovereign[15].

This proved to be a prudent move as on the 23rd of May, a 2000 man strong army of peasant levies crossed the shallow Hansted Creek and entered the hundred of Nim. Commanded by Tyge Krabbe, who had brought along a retinue of mounted knights from his seat of Bustrup near Viborg, the North Jutish levies were soon encamped outside Bygholm, with Krabbe loudly calling for its surrender.

At Skanderborg, Gøye had been alerted of the rebel advance two days previous prompting him to quickly organise a relief force consisting of some 1500 peasants augmented by a small squadron of armoured retainers sent to him by the bishop of Aarhus. The following day Gøye marched his division South, catching the rebels unaware.

At the brink of dawn on the 25th, the royalist cavalry squadron crashed through the rebel picket lines and began to torch the makeshift bivouacs and tents, sending a large part of Tyge Krabbe’s untrained (and rather unenthusiastic) peasant soldiers fleeing for their lives. Their commander was, however, a seasoned veteran of the Union Wars in Sweden and quickly restored order to his ranks by leading a counter charge on the episcopal riders.

4jRAMBK.png

Armed Peasants Fighting Naked Men by Hans Lützelburger, 1522. Although both sides of the civil war mustered armies of conscripted peasants, it was widely accepted that the key to military success was the employment of mercenaries.

As soon as the Bygholm garrison became aware of the ongoing battle, Mogens Gyldenstjerne led a sortie, forcing the councilar army to retreat. However, when the two loyalist commanders shook hands on the field, they soon realised the miniscule nature of the battle. No more than a hundred men had lost their lives in the skirmish and not even that many had been captured or wounded. Indeed, it was no Bosworth or Brunkeberg. Instead, the first pitched battle of the civil war more resembled a large harvest-day brawl between confused and ill-equipped villagers. However, despite its small scale, the relief of Bygholm had been a sorely needed victory for the royalist cause as it temporarily took off some the pressure on Eastern Jutland. Still, the Northern approaches remained exposed to rebel attacks.

Tordrup castle had been besieged by a force under the command of Peder Lykke (or “that happy swine” as Christian II named him) whilst sir Podebusk’s own retainers had struck out from his fief of Rugsø and seized the important market town of Randers as well as much of Northern Djursland, threatening the strategically vital Kaløhus. Erik Eriksen Banner, the castellan at Kaløhus, had been at Skanderborg when news of the rising arrived from Viborg and had as such also participated in Gøye’s attack on Krabbe’s division. After a brief war council, Banner took a small force consisting of the most well armed levies and all the episcopal riders with him North in order to defend his fief. His resolve was evident, for as he wrote the king: “... My dearest gracious lord, if Your Grace has any command or dispatch for me, then Your Grace can always depend on finding me on Kalø.”[16]

For his part, the king had remained in Hønborg, fervently trying to make sense of the confused situation. If the rebels had solely relied on conscripted peasants then the king might have been able to quell the uprising from his castles in Eastern Jutland. Unfortunately, the invasion of the ducal army had rendered the loyalist cause on the peninsula extremely fragile. The king knew full well the value and importance of the Landsknecht companies from his own Swedish campaign and had no illusion as to how long his castellans could withstand the assault of these professional soldiers. Almost all of the king’s own mercenaries had been demobilised after the capture of Stockholm: only a single Fähnlein[17] remained in Sweden and its presence was vital for the survival of Henrik Krummedige’s viceregal government.

In order to put down the rebellion, Christian II thus needed fresh mercenaries of his own. However, the cities of Hamburg and Stade and the counties of Pinneberg and Lauenburg had all resolved to bar any mercenaries from crossing the Elbe who were not in the pay of the duke. Furthermore, before such a muster could even be completed, the Gottorpian main force would most likely had moved against Hønborg and the remaining royalist castles in Jutland. As such, the only course open to the king was to withdraw across the Little Belt to the safety of the isles. When Erik Krummedige, the fief-holder at Hønborg suggested this to Christian II, he supposedly wept before fiercely declaring that “... as soon as the wind gave in he would do so.”[18]

However, the king would not have to wait for the wind to give in nor would he have to sneak back across the Little Belt in a smuggler’s vessel.

Søren Norby had arrived at Copenhagen with the remnants of his battered expedition to the New World on the 24th of April. Less than a month later, he commanded the entire royal fleet as it sailed forth from the Copenhagen dockyards. Unaware of the Jutish rising fermenting on the peninsula, he had been tasked with mounting a show of force in the Fehmern Belt and thereby dissuade the Wendish Hansa from intervening in the king’s showdown with his uncle. However, on the 20th of May the fleet chanced upon a Hanseatic raiding party, headed by a handful of Lübeckian carracks and supported by auxiliary vessels from the cities of Rostock and Wismar. In a brilliantly executed interception almost the entire Wendish squadron was destroyed or captured. Faced with the realization that the realm was at war, Norby spirited on, aiming to safeguard the crossing between Jutland and Funen.

ADtQsOL.png

A Danish and a Hanseatic vessel exchange fire somewhere in the Baltic (the latter flying the three crowns of Sweden as a mark of provocation). From a manuscript on artillery by Rudolf van Deventer, ca. 1582[19].

Two days after the battle, the royal fleet dropped anchor in the narrow strait between the castles of Hønborg and Hindsgavl. If the Admiral in the Eastern Sea was shocked to see his liege lord still nursing the wounds from the skirmish outside Koldinghus, the news of the councilar rebellion and the duke’s treachery positively infuriated him. Aboard the Maria, Christian II contemplated sailing the fleet South to launch a surprise attack on Lübeck itself, a notion sharply protested by his naval captains. The fortifications of Travemünde could not be easily bypassed and heavy casualties would have to be expected. Furthermore, if the navy were not present, the duke might very well attempt to seize Funen and the island’s many important castles. Although he had received the news of Gøye, Morgenstjerne and Banner’s continued fidelity with good cheer, the king was naturally suspicious of just where the rest of his fief-holders’ loyalty truly lay.

No matter how fortuitous Norby’s arrival in the Little Belt had been it did not change the military realities on the Jutish peninsula. The initiative was wholly in the hands of the duke and his mercenary army. For now, the royal navy commanded the crossing to Funen, but if the enemy were to attempt to force the straits in unison, it was by no means certain that they could be repelled. There was only one option left: Retreat and regroup. Resolving to rally the loyalist forces of the Sound Provinces, the king made preparations to leave Hønborg. In his place, Mogens Gøye was appointed stadtholder in Northern Jutland (or “Sir King in Jutland[20] as the rebels derisively called him) with strict orders to defend the remaining castles for as long as possible.

On the 23rd of May 1522, Christian II commanded the fleet to head for Zealand. In the less than a fortnight which had passed since he took mass at the Franciscan Convent in Odense he had de facto lost almost half of his kingdom. In a letter to his wife on Funen, dated the following day, Tile Giseler noted that “... His Grace’s auburn crown has in places been streamed in silver.” Everything now depended on what course of action Frederick would take.

NTeHGSh.png

Author's Notes: So this was a very difficult chapter to write as there were a lot of dates and a lot of characters involved. If there’s interest, I might make another intermission including a Dramatis Personae and an overview of main events incurred in the timeline so far. Let me know your thoughts.

Footnotes:

[1]From an OTL letter dated the 23rd of January 1523.

[2]The Kieler Umschlag (Kiel Exchange) was the most important market for money lending in Northern Germany and Scandinavia in the 15th and 16th centuries. It was convened annually on the 6th of January and lasted a week. In OTL, Frederick chose to participate in the conspiracy against Christian II very shortly after the Umschlag of 1523 and as such did not need to move too quietly. ITTL, however, he does not have that advantage, limiting his ability to procure funds considerably.

[3]The size of the ducal army in OTL is still rather uncertain. Some contemporary sources say the duke had 3000 peasants in his army whilst some Jutish accounts put the number slightly higher. It is, however, important to note that according to the military doctrine of the time, such levies were not considered worth much. The hired troops were the armoured fist of any army - the equivalent of modern tanks, if you will.

[4]All three were important mercenary captains during Frederick’s OTL conquest of Denmark.

[5]This also happened in OTL. The mayors of Flensburg sent a heartfelt plea for assistance to the king, promising that they would hold out for as long as possible against his uncle’s troops.

[6]The OTL designation used by the councilar opposition in their propaganda pamphlets and official declarations. The Danish phrasing is as follows: “Danmarckis riigis raad wtij lutland besiddindis

[7]All were signatories of the historical “conspiracy letter” wherein the signatories pledged to depose Christian II.

[8]Meaning Christian II.

[9]My own translation and transcription of a part of the mentioned “conspiracy letter.” Once again, please note how the letter uses the word “utilize” when describing the relation between the nobles and Frederick.

[10]From the OTL negotiations in April 1524 between Christian II’s ambassadors and the Gottorpian government on a possible settlement between Frederick I and his nephew. The nobility really did not want Christian II back.

[11]In OTL, Bryske urged Christian II to burn Aalborg to the ground after its citizens went over to the rebels.

[12]From an OTL letter to Mogens Gøye dated the 17th of March 1523. Rosenkrantz belonged to the part of the nobility who was mostly loyal to the king. In OTL he joined in Mogens Gøye’s attempts at mediating between the king and the rebels, but finally renounced his loyalty to Christian II shortly after surrendering Koldinghus - supposedly out of fear of Sigbritt’s malign influence.

[13]In OTL, Aalborghus was held by a burgher fief-holder. ITTL, Christian II granted it to Henrik Gøye, but his capture outside Koldinghus led to a power vacuum within the city, easily exploited by the rebels.

[14]The hundreds of Onsild, Nørre Hald and Støvring were amalgamated into a pledge-fief under Ove Bille, royal chancellor and bishop of Aarhus.

[15]Besides being rich and progressive for the times, Mogens Gøye was highly respected by commoners and nobles alike. During the Count’s Feud he was one of the few aristocrats who could soothe the enraged peasantry when they went about killing noblemen and torching manors. ITTL, the capture of his brother and the king’s much more amiable disposition puts him solidly in the royal camp.

[16]From an OTL letter dated the 27th of January 1523.

[17]A military unit of some 500 troops.

[18]This might be apocryphal as it was only mentioned by Frederick I’s chancellor Wolfgang von Utenhof some 15 years after the rebellion. Nevertheless, it is a famous remark which many historians have seen as a summary of Christian II’s OTL mercurial reign. One of the most important pieces of literature on the events of 1523 even bears its name.

[19]Originally the drawing depicts a naval action during the Northern Seven Years War.

[20]This was originally a remark Gøye attributed to Sigbrit and one of the reasons he gave for renouncing his allegiance to Christian II in OTL.

Last edited:
Huh, don't have a lot to comment here. This chapter was basically just filling in the details on the main events hinted at last chapter, and in that you are clearly better suited than I am. As always, I learn just so much about this time period.

Overall though, the fate of this rebellion is probably dependent upon the rebellion spreading throughout the rest of the realm. If Sweden doesn't rise, and Christian manages to crush any uprisings in the Isles, Scania, and Norway, this rebellion is sort of stalled. Especially with that [10] declaration. If Christian wins this fight, they have basically given Christian every reason to cut down all their current privileges...and a few of their leaders heads. Even if they take Flensborg and the Eastern Jutland holdouts, that's not a knockout blow. Christian can allow his enemies to start running out of money funding their mercenaries and levies, and instead devote himself to the naval arena. This both keeps Funen and Zealand safe, and allows Christian to try and knockout the Hansa. Last chapter you said IOTL the Hansa mobilized 40 warships. Considering they've already lost 9 ships, and Danzig isn't participating here, I'd say they probably have 25~ ships. Denmark had 20 IOTL, and Christian probably has a few more here as the Swedish wars didn't suck as much funds from the navy. So there is probably a rough parity in numbers. If Denmark can win that battle, they'll be in a position to marshal all their resources against Jutland.

I got admit though. That [10] declaration has got me imagining the rebellion calling in the French, Prussians, or Poles. Not sure how realistic these are, but it would be fun. Poland has already basically become a Noble Republic that could appeal to the rebels, the French might be willing to aid them in hopes of preventing Charles V from securing the north as an ally, and Prussia still hasn't secularized. Albert and the Teutonic Order was seeking allies against Poland at this time. They might feel that allying just enough force to lead to overthrowing Christian II could secure them the Triple Union as an ally against Poland.

Poor king not sure how they will turn this around

Currently, his best bet is to hold unto the isles until he can raise his own Landsknecht companies. The difficulty, of course, being the fact that his enemies pretty much control all access to the hiring grounds in Northern Germany. Then there's the further issue that Charles V is getting his hands busy in Italy.

Huh, don't have a lot to comment here. This chapter was basically just filling in the details on the main events hinted at last chapter, and in that you are clearly better suited than I am. As always, I learn just so much about this time period.

Well all comments are welcome! It's kinda the way I gauge the level of interest in the timeline, tbh.

Overall though, the fate of this rebellion is probably dependent upon the rebellion spreading throughout the rest of the realm. If Sweden doesn't rise, and Christian manages to crush any uprisings in the Isles, Scania, and Norway, this rebellion is sort of stalled. Especially with that [10] declaration. If Christian wins this fight, they have basically given Christian every reason to cut down all their current privileges...and a few of their leaders heads. Even if they take Flensborg and the Eastern Jutland holdouts, that's not a knockout blow. Christian can allow his enemies to start running out of money funding their mercenaries and levies, and instead devote himself to the naval arena. This both keeps Funen and Zealand safe, and allows Christian to try and knockout the Hansa. Last chapter you said IOTL the Hansa mobilized 40 warships. Considering they've already lost 9 ships, and Danzig isn't participating here, I'd say they probably have 25~ ships. Denmark had 20 IOTL, and Christian probably has a few more here as the Swedish wars didn't suck as much funds from the navy. So there is probably a rough parity in numbers. If Denmark can win that battle, they'll be in a position to marshal all their resources against Jutland.

In OTL the rebel did not spread to Funen, Zealand and Scania and Frederick still managed to drive the king from the realm. In our time, the military capabilities of Christian II was actually rather comparable with that of his uncle: With the important caveat that he was basically bankrupt. ITTL, that position has been somewhat inverted. He's not a Croesus, but he's by no means skinned. On the other hand, he doesn't have any Landsknecht companies to speak of.

The very fact that there's a rebellion going on and there's a viable pretender to the throne in the field is extremely detrimental to Christian II's royal authority. Furthermore, Frederick has access to the vast riches of the Hanseatic League + the credit available amongst the Holstenian nobility (an important source for loans for the crown in OTL). So it's not just a matter of waiting out the rebellion (which also presupposes that the Hansa won't contest the control of the Belts). Finally, one has to remember that the longer Christian II is tied down in the Southern part of the Union, the larger the window of opportunity for a Swedish rebellion. IOTL, Swedish revolts against the Kalmar Union often coincided with Danish troubles in other parts of the Oldenburg monarchy.

I got admit though. That [10] declaration has got me imagining the rebellion calling in the French, Prussians, or Poles. Not sure how realistic these are, but it would be fun. Poland has already basically become a Noble Republic that could appeal to the rebels, the French might be willing to aid them in hopes of preventing Charles V from securing the north as an ally, and Prussia still hasn't secularized. Albert and the Teutonic Order was seeking allies against Poland at this time. They might feel that allying just enough force to lead to overthrowing Christian II could secure them the Triple Union as an ally against Poland.

Honestly, the quote should be understood as a use of ghoulish overkill. One of the absolute basic points of the monarchy at the time was that the sovereign should be related by blood to his predecessor. I don't think the arch-conservative Jutish council would seriously consider putting a Turk on the throne ;) However, you raise some very valid perspectives vis-a-vis the international situation. IOTL, Frederick I had already established a diplomatic connection with Francis I in an attempt to balance against Christian II's imperial connections. However, this was by no means a solid alliance as the French were completely preoccupied by trying to break through the Habsburg encirclement. For most of his OTL reign, Frederick was surrounded by malevolently neutral powers with only the Duchy of Pomerania and Braunschweig-Lüneburg being supportive. The Teutonic Order, conversely, was extremely pro-Christian II.

Will there be any change in the Italian war of 1521-1526 ITTL?

Could very well be. To be honest I haven’t really considered it too much, as I thought the readers would appreciate a more streamlined narrative where we first focus on Scandinavian developments before moving on to wider European events.

Last edited:
Oh wow this was good. Christian pushesd off the mainland and with Charles V about to get his hands tied fighting in Italy, it’ll be interesting to see how the Christian vs Frederick slug match goes.

If naval control could be firmly established, could Christian ship his mercenaries in through the Baltic? It seems like that might be a good avenue around the stranglehold, and the mercenaries would know he's good for pay (and more than a little desperate).

So, lots of very exciting stuff have been happening since the last update, which, unfortunately, means that the amount of time I can dedicate on this TL has plummeted. I am, however, almost done with making an intermission chapter featuring a list of all the characters on and off the stage in 1522. I hope you'll like it as it made me feel like I'm writing GoT fan-fiction...

Oh wow this was good. Christian pushesd off the mainland and with Charles V about to get his hands tied fighting in Italy, it’ll be interesting to see how the Christian vs Frederick slug match goes.

Thank you! And yes indeed. I have a few surprising developments up my sleeve for the next proper update..

If naval control could be firmly established, could Christian ship his mercenaries in through the Baltic? It seems like that might be a good avenue around the stranglehold, and the mercenaries would know he's good for pay (and more than a little desperate).

Naval superiority is the alpha and omega at this point. The anti-Christian coalition has effectively sealed off the Elbe as a staging point for raising mercenaries, but the duke of Mecklenburg, Albrecht VII, and the Prince-elector of Brandenburg (who's married to Christian II's sister Elisabeth) are both very much opposed to the Holstenian cause. The question is now whether or not troops can be raised in their domains and ferried over to Funen (or Zealand) in time to halt the rebel advance.

Last edited:
Intermission: Dramatis Personae, 1522
Intermission
Dramatis Personae

_______

The Elective Kingdom of Denmark

y0u5bhR.png

Christian II (b. 1481): King of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Wends and the Goths, duke of Schleswig, Holstein and Stormarn, count of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst

Queen Elisabeth/Isabella of Habsburg (b. 1501): Sister to the emperor, Charles V.

Their children:

Prince Hans (b. 1517): Heir to the throne and prince elect of Sweden
Princes Filip Ferdinand and Maximillian (b. 1519)
Princess Dorothea (b. 1520)
Princess Christina (b. 1521)
Their ward:

Nils Stensson Sture (b. 1512): Oldest son of the deceased Lord Steward of Sweden.​

The Loyalist Council of the Realm

The Lords Spiritual

Christiern Pedersen (b. 1481): Archbishop of Lund and Primate of the North. A humanist scholar who hopes of reforming the Catholic Church. Previously served as the king’s personal chaplain.

Lage Urne (b. 1465): Bishop of Roskilde. A supporter of the king with a moderate appetite for church support.

Ove Bille (b. before 1480): Bishop of Aarhus and royal chancellor. One of the king’s earliest supporters.

Jens Andersen, called Beldenak (b. before 1470): Bishop of Odense. Not well-liked by the king. His distinctive nickname alludes to his shaven pate.​
The Lords Temporal

Mogens Gøye (b. 1470): Marshal of the Realm, stadholder of Jutland and the richest nobleman in the North. Fief-holder at Skanderborg and Tordrup castles. Supportive of Christian II’s reforms and supposedly amicable to the Evangelical cause.

Otte Krumpen (b. 1473): Fief-holder at Helsingborg in Scania. Led the Unionist armies in Småland during Christian II’s campaign where he captured the strong fortress of Kalmar.

Albert Jepsen Ravnsberg (b. ?): Fief-holder at Vordingborg on Zealand. A skilled diplomat who helped broker the king’s marriage.

Eske Bille (b. 1480): Fief-holder at Copenhagen castle. Brother of the bishop of Århus.

Anders Bille (b. 1477): Fief-holder at Nyborg castle on Funen. First cousin to Ove and Eske Bille. A seasoned military commander.

Torben Oxe (b. ?): Fief-holder at Krogen castle.

The King’s Captains and Officials

Søren Norby (b. 1470): The Admiral in the Eastern Sea and supreme commander of the royal fleet. An exceptionally skilled naval commander and explorer who led the Nordic expedition to the New World 1520-22. Not a member of the higher aristocracy.

Mogens Gyldenstjerne (b. 1485): Fief-holder at Bygholm Castle in Jutland. Veteran of the Swedish campaign where he carried the king’s standard.

Erik Eriksen Banner (b. 1484): Fief-holder at Kaløhus, one of the strongest castles in Eastern Jutland. Apparently loyal to the king.

Erik Krummedige (b. ?): Fief-holder at Hønborg. Brother in law of Otte Krumpen. A supporter of the Evangelical cause.

Peder Ebbesen Galt (b. ?): Fiefholder at Næsbyhoved and Hindsgavl. One of the most important nobles on Funen.

Tile Gilersen (b. ?): A Frisian sea captain. Søren Norby's brother-in-law and second in command. Captain of The Angel.

Otte Sivertsen (b. ?): A captain in the service of Søren Norby, whom he accompanied to the New World.

Henrik Gøye (b. after 1470): Younger brother of Mogens Gøye and a skilled battlefield commander. Captured by ducal forces during a skirmish outside Koldinghus in May 1522.

Hans Mikkelsen (b. ca. 1470): Mayor of Malmø. An industrious and resourceful proponent of trade and the rights of the burghers. Helped start the Royal Nordic Trade Company to undermine Hanseatic mercantile power in the Baltic.

Poul Helgesen (b. 1485): Carmelite friar and leader of that order’s college in Copenhagen. A skilled theologian and a leading member of the Northern Humanist Revival.​

_______

The Council of Denmark’s Realm in Jutland Declared
(In open rebellion)

UrA6OXu.png

The Lords Declarent

Predbjørn Podebusk of Vosborg (b. 1460): Fief-holder at Riberhus. Second only to Mogens Gøye in terms of wealth. A firm believer in the old order. De facto leader of the Jutish rebels.

The Lords Spiritual

Jørgen Friis (b. 1494): Bishop of Viborg. Originally appointed to the office thanks to the king, under whom he had served as a clerk. Friis turned against Christian II on account of the king’s ecclesiastical reforms.

Iver Munk (b. 1470): Bishop of Ribe. One of the instigators of the plot to crown Frederick as king in 1513.

Niels Stygge Rosenkrantz (b. ?): Bishop of Børglum. A vain man concerned with advancing his own wealth and position. A leading force behind both the 1513 and 1522 plots to overthrow Christian II.​
The Lords Temporal

Niels Høgh (b. ?): Fief-holder at Skivehus. Initially not opposed to the king, but threw in his lot with the rebels after relations had been established with duke Frederick.

Peder Lykke (b. ?): A veteran of the 1511-13 war with Sweden. Commander of a large peasant army. Very wealthy.

Tyge Krabbe (b. 1474): A brave cavalry commander and industrious estate-builder. Has a strong personal dislike for the king on account of many supposed wrongs done by him.

Oluf Nielsen Rosenkrantz (b. 1490): Fief-holder at Koldinghus. Threatened into abandoning his allegiance to Christian II by the combined might of the Jutish rebels and the Holstenian army.

Mogens Munk (b. after 1470): Younger brother of Iver Munk. A scholar of the law and high judge at the Jutish landsting (regional assembly). Instrumental in establishing connections between duke Frederick and the Jutish council.​
_______

The Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein

(In open rebellion)

iWTCN55.png

Frederick I (b. 1471): Proclaimed king of Denmark, rightly chosen heir to Norway, duke of Schleswig, Holstein and Stormarn, count of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst

Duchess Sophie of Pomerania (b. 1498): The daughter of Bogislaw X, duke of Pomerania and the Polish princess Anna Jagiellon. Married Frederick after the death of his first wife, Anna of Brandenburg.​

The Duke’s Children:​

Christian (b. 1503): Son of the duke’s first marriage. Stadtholder in the duchies whilst his father campaigns in Jutland.

Dorothea (b. 1504): Daughter of the duke’s first marriage

Hans (b. 1521): Son of Frederick and Sophie of Pomerania.​

The Duke’s Captains and Officials

Johann von Rantzau (b. 1492): Field Marshal and supreme commander of the Gottorpian armies. Won distinction as a cavalry commander during the unionist wars in Sweden.

Wolfgang von Uttenhof (b. 1494): The duke’s trusted chancellor and chief political advisor.

Segebode Freytagk (b. ?): Lower Saxon mercenary commander.

Johann VII. von Hoya (b. before 1490): Titular count of Hoya and commander of the ducal mercenary cavalry.

Christoffer von Veltheim (b. ?): Captain of a infantry fähnlein in the service of duke Frederick.​

_______

The Hereditary Kingdom of Norway

ymtRlVU.png

Under the governance of:
Christian II (b. 1481): King of Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Wends and the Goths, duke of Schleswig, Holstein and Stormarn, count of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst

The Council of the Realm

The Lords Spiritual

Erik Valkendorf (b. ?): Archbishop of Trondheim. Former chancellor to Christian II. Very concerned with the king’s continued interference in church matters.

Anders Mus (b. ?): Bishop of Oslo.

Mogens Lauritssøn (b. ?): Bishop of Hamar.

Hoskul Hoskulsson (b. 1465): Bishop of Stavanger.

Olav Torkelsson (b. ?): Bishop of Bergen.​
The Lords Temporal

Karl Knutsson of Tre Rosor (b. ?): Fief-holder at Bohus castle and de facto viceroy of the realm. A veteran of the Unionist campaign in Sweden. Extremely loyal to the king.

Nils Henriksson (b. 1455): A venerable old conservative.

Olav Galle (b. before 1490): Fief-holder at Akershus castle. Next to Karl Knutsson the most powerful of the native Norwegian aristocracy.

Gaute Galle (b. 1490): Younger brother of Olav Galle, beholden to him in all things.
_______

The Elective Kingdom of Sweden

hWeagHR.png

Under the governance of:

The King’s Government in Sweden

Henrik Krummedige (b. 1464): Viceroy in Sweden. Commanded the main Union army during Christian II’s conquest of Sweden 1518-19. A skilled general.

Hemmingh Gadh (b. 1452): Archbishop of Uppsala. Previously a well known Sture partisan, who was captured by the Danes after the Battle of Åsunden (5/1/1519). In the Immediate aftermath, the Lord Steward seized his feudal holdings on the Åland Isles (Kastelholm castle). Combined with the fact that the Younger Sture had reneged on his promise to make Gadh the archbishop of Uppsala, he declared for Christian II. Instrumental in quelling the peasant revolts around Lake Mälaren.

Hans Brask (b. 1464): Bishop of Linköping (the second most important diocese in Sweden). A machiavellian political operator who managed to maneuver between the Sture and royal parties.

Erik Abrahamsson Leijonhufvud (b. 1471): The only undefeated Swedish general of the 1518-19 war. Originally a member of the Peace Party, he defected to Christian II after the Battle of Tiveden.​

The Lords Spiritual

Otto Svinhufvud (b. ca. 1460): Bishop of Västerås.

Matthias Gregersson Lillie (b. before 1488): Bishop of Strängnäs. Helped Hans Brask negotiate the surrender of Stockholm castle in December 1519.

Ingmarus Petri (b. ?): Bishop of Växjö. Supporter of the independence of the Catholic church and opposed to reform.

Arvid Kuck (b. 1464): Bishop of Åbo. Leader of the Catholic church in Finland. An unrepentant Sture supporter.

Vincent Hennings (b. ?): Bishop of Skara. A former Sture partisan.​

The Lords Temporal

Jakob Arvidsson Trolle (b. 1475): Fief-holder at Almarestäket. Uncle of the murdered archbishop of Uppsala, Gustav. A strong supporter of the king. Holds domains in both Denmark and Sweden.

Ture Jönsson (b. 1475). Fief-holder at Älvsborg. A man of fickle loyalties.

Bengt Gylte (b. ?): Fief-holder at Nyköping. Member of the aristocratic faction.

Holger Karlsson Gera (b. 1470): Fief-holder at Örebro. Supportive of the king. His wife was the cousin of the murdered archbishop of Uppsala.

Johan Arendsson Ulv (b. before 1486): Fief-holder at Kronoberg. Went over to the king after the Battle of Uppsala. Member of the aristocratic faction.

Knut Nilsson Sparre (b. ?): Fief-holder at Kalmar. Convinced Leijonhufvud to abandon the Lord Steward’s cause and support Christian II instead.

Nils Bosson Grip (b. 1460): A fervent supporter of Hans I, the father of Christian II. Imprisoned by the Sture party during the 1518-19 war on account of his unionist sympathies. Fief-holder at Borgholm on Öland.

Peder Turesson Bielke (b. 1469): Fief-holder at Västerås castle. Member of the aristocratic faction.

Joakim Brahe (b. 1481): A Sture supporter.​

The Sture Court in Finland

Lady Kristina Nilsdotter Gyllenstierna (b. 1494): Widow of the late Lord Steward, Steen Sture the Younger. Fief-holder at Tavastehus in Finland. Grudgingly accepted the Oldenburg restoration in Sweden proper after the capture of Stockholm.

Her son:

Svante Stensson Sure (b. 1517): A toddler kept close by his mother.​

Her supporters:

Magnus Eriksson Vasa (born 1501): Younger brother of Gustav Vasa, the standard bearer of Steen Sture the Younger, who was killed during The Battle of Örebro (3/2/1519)

Niels Eriksson Banér
(b. before 1480): Fief-holder at Raseborg castle in Finland. Uncle to Lady Kristina.

Peder Jakobsson
(b. 1470): Former chancellor of Steen Sture the Younger. Headed the delegation to Danzig where Niels Stensson Sture was originally to be kept safe.

Knut Mikaelsson
(b. ?): Former deacon of the Bishopric of Västerås

Måns Bryntesson Lilliehöök
(b. ?): One of the more important noblemen from Västergötland. His father died fighting the Danes in 1510.

Bengt Arendsson Ulv
(b. circa 1460): Brother of the councilor of the realm, Johan Arendsson Ulv. Unlike his brother, Bengt refused to side with the king before Stockholm fell.​

Måns Gren (born ?): A staunch Sture supporter. Commanded the crossbowmen during the siege of Stockholm. Was forced out of his fiefdom of Västerås after Christian II came into his Swedish kingdom.

_______

Scandinavia in 1521
these_three_realms_united__a_restored_kalmar_union_by_milites_atterdag-dcmcoa0.png

Notes:
So this took an exceptionally huge amount of time to make. I hope you find it useful going forward.

Last edited: