Hi all, thanks for the replies! It’s a great relief and very rewarding that so many of you are still following this timeline after so long. I can’t make any promises going forward as to when the next update is coming out, but I’m brainstorming possible subjects for chapter 33. There are still a lot of unanswered questions in Italy, the British Isles, Germany and Hungary to address. I might do a rather ‘superficial’ (at least according to this TL’s standards) overview of the conclusion of the War of the League of Windsor before returning to developments in the Northlands.

Great update! The idea of “Europeanizing” the Northlands is reminiscent of Russia’s efforts during the 19th century, but here it seems like more of an economic and cultural intermingling than an effort to colonize the country with a “superior” group. However, the actual colonies are quite interesting to think about as well, considering how the settlers are building more infrastructure for farming and trade. Just so long as they don’t get any funny ideas about tulips!

Interesting comparison! I imagine that the settlement of Netherlanders in the North will have a far deeper cultural effect on Denmark especially, than in OTL. As Jürgen mentioned, the OTL Dutch settlers of Amager became an ethnic enclave without much contact to “the motherland”, but IITL, Christian II’s legal reforms and dynastic ties to the Habsburg Netherlands might ensure a more nuanced Scandinavia outside of the purely German Kulturraum. The fact that the reformation is more Erasmian than Lutheran should also underline this development.

Glad to see this back; Poland looks like its being drawn into backing the wrong Hanseatic horse -- having to fight both the North and the Rus at once would be pretty daunting...

That is true, but to be honest, I honestly don’t think that the nordics will be able to amass much power projection on the continent. Currently, I’m imagining it more as a trade/naval war with Poland-Lithuania Russians slugging it out in the field.

The island of Amager was populated by Dutch Danes until the 19th century (the same ones mentioned here), we can get a pretty good idea of the effect of them. They’re were wealthy farmers who had a monopoly on chalk from Saltholm, they lost connection to Netherlands in a generation and simply became a ethnic enclave in Denmark. Amager is still well known for it Dutch forenames, which are rarely used in the rest of Denmark.

I think it’s fascinating to contemplate more of these settlements actually surviving. Realistically speaking, most would probably still fail to take root, but even a slightly bigger impact would be quite the divergence from OTL.

It's back and with another amazing map !

The foundations of Nordic power are very nicely explained. I think the next target of the Kings of the North would be Saxe-Lauenburg. It is basically all they need to crush Lubeck, since the Salt Road and canal passes through this domain. And there will be an opportunity in the future, since duke Francis I was heavily indebted and had pawned off most of his land.

Thank you for the kind words. I think you’re right that Christian II would use all the arms in his arsenal to crush the Hanse - and bring the estuaries of the Elbe and Weser under his thumb.

It’s a miracle!

While the Baltics is a 'shallow bathtub' in comparison, this'll ultimately help supplying a larger amount of adventurous/skilled sailors and merchants willing to splurge on the chances of getting stupid-rich on colonial projects.

As an aside, given the population of the Livonian Order (specially in the north, near former Danish territories), are going to be increasingly Lutheranians, would it perhaps be possible that a future Wendic Hansa/Northlands wars, the Urban population there, revolts against the order and more or less send a gold-framed invitation to Christian to land his armies there to push south, flanking Riga's naval defenses
Regarding Livonia, I think much of that region’s future depends on developments in Russia as much as in the North.

Strong and wealthy Danish monarchs had in the past turned the dukes of Lauenburg into de-facto vassals through economic means, so it should be quite easy for Christian to do the same, no military action required.

A very probable development, given the fact that the Duke of Lauenburg has already been militarily castrated by Christian II ITTL and effectively only returned to his dukedom on account of the king and emperor’s mercy. So all things considered, the duke would be even more indebted ITTL as he had to buy back his lands from Christian and Charles. I’ll have to work this into one of the coming chapters :)

Great update, nice to see this continue! I have one minor question though, no mention of wood tar at all? It was one of THE most important and profitable products from Finland, for centuries, and as there seems to be an increase in sailing/ships, I'd expect the demand would be ever growing?

To be completely honest, after weeks of going through academic articles to determine early 16th century exports of Denmark, Norway and Sweden - Finland kinda took a backseat. I guess it could be symbolised by the timber icon on the map.

I had something similar in mind. Francis will pawn off most of his lands to cover his debts and the Crown can basically buy most of the duchy. There is no reason to abolish the duchy altogether, that would have been a very intricate political matter and the Emperor would have to be involved. But have the duke to keep a few towns and his title while most of his demesne and the vital Stecknitz Canal is controlled by Copenhagen? That's way easier.

I think it will depend on the political climate in Copenhagen post-1543. If the king and his court feel confinded of an enduring influence, then just subsidies would be enough. However, if they feel that this is a one time opprtunity - since you cannot be sure the next duke will be a spendthrift, then buying up most of the duchy makes sense.

It seems that Muscovy and the Kingdom of the North are becoming close trade partners. I think than Copenhagen won't have an issue with a russian outlet in the Baltic, Ivangorod in this case. After all, Ivangorod's trade is taxed through the Sound Dues. There is one potential point of contention though: Livonia. Both Sweden and Denmark had traditionally interests in Livonia and would be unacceptable to see the region being turned into a muscovite vassal or annexed outright.

I agree with you on the Livonian position. My understanding is that the Order at this point of time was moribound and its dismantling a matter of when and not if.

I'm sure Russia could forgive losing Livonia if they got other prizes from war with the PLC (and while Denmark would want Riga, perhaps they part with Daugavpils?)

Being a trade and military partner of the North could also bring Russia in with the Habsburgs to fight the Turk. Or perhaps Russia, having taken Kazan decades early, goes the way of Afanasy Nikitin and tries to corral the Caspian and Transoxianan trade by taking Astrakhan?

Russia’s ambitions will become clearer in the coming updates, I promise ;) I know that certain elements within Vasily’s court urged him to liberate Constantinople, but I don’t think even contemporaries thought it a plausible objective.

I mean, if Russia and Scandinavia became enemies it wouldn’t be the first or the last time that allies fell out over dividing the spoils from a war.

That is true, but one has to take into account that there’s a quite clear trajectory of cooperation in this timeline running along the lines of cordial relations. To me, it’s very interesting to consider how the moves made by Hans and Christian could have become something perceived today as an inevitable structural imperative.

Hey! I just binged this thread in a week, an I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it and hope to see more in the future:)

I’m very happy that you liked it! There will be more, at least I can promise you that :)

I think it’s fascinating to contemplate more of these settlements actually surviving. Realistically speaking, most would probably still fail to take root, but even a slightly bigger impact would be quite the divergence from OTL.

The main reason for their survival on Amager from what I have read was that they had a monopoly on chalk extraction on Saltholm, the their daughter colonies on Sprogø and Frederiksberg, lacked this extra source of income and disappeared or assimilated. It‘s not impossible to imagine similar colonies elsewhere would get similar privileges.

Just a quick question for the readers - are there perchance any Czech (or failing that Slovak) speakers amongst the audience?

The main reason for their survival on Amager from what I have read was that they had a monopoly on chalk extraction on Saltholm, the their daughter colonies on Sprogø and Frederiksberg, lacked this extra source of income and disappeared or assimilated. It‘s not impossible to imagine similar colonies elsewhere would get similar privileges.

That is true indeed! I didn't know that there was a separate colony on Frederiksberg. A bit odd to compare that modern municipality with the Amager of today x'D

I am curious who Crown Prince Hans will be engaged too - I feel like the leading options are Mary Tudor, Madeleine Valois, or even Maria Hapsburg for a continuation of the familial ties. It's a shame that Vasilii doesn't have a daughter. Who Christian II decides to align with will have a significant impact on the Italian Wars and Northern Europe.

Last edited:
I am curious who Crown Prince Hans will be engaged too - I feel like the leading options are Mary Tudor, Madeleine Valois, or even Maria Hapsburg for a continuation of the familial ties. It's a shame that Vasilii doesn't have a daughter. Who Christian II decides to align with will have a significant impact on the Italian Wars and Northern Europe.
I'm doing a Kalmar Union timeline as well, so this is relevant to me too.

The marriage prospects of Prince Hans are interesting to contemplate indeed, but of those you suggested, the first is a queen without a throne (for now at least), the second is French and I’m unsure which Habsburg you’re referring to for the third. I think Christian II would most likely look to at least obtain a marriage at least prestigious as his own for the Crown Prince of the North.

Mary is a queen without a throne yes, but iirc she is also the recognized de-jure ruler by everyone but the french, including a significant portion of the English

It’ll be a somewhat risky wager, but if successful the prize would be high

Am I the only one for whom economic and demographic updates like this are the most enjoyable to read? They add so much depth.

It's back and with another amazing map !

The foundations of Nordic power are very nicely explained. I think the next target of the Kings of the North would be Saxe-Lauenburg. It is basically all they need to crush Lubeck, since the Salt Road and canal passes through this domain. And there will be an opportunity in the future, since duke Francis I was heavily indebted and had pawned off most of his land.

At least leave the poor Hanseans their salt..

Am I the only one for whom economic and demographic updates like this are the most enjoyable to read? They add so much depth.
Honestly, economic and demographic updates along with updates on institutions are the most satisfying. These three aspects make or break states, not battles. As I history enthousiast, these I love the most.

At least leave the poor Hanseans their salt..
That's Wendish Hansa's only leverage. To be fair, Luneburg salt comes in too small quantities to proper service Scandinavia's needs. If I remember correctly by the 17th century it was used mostly as a "luxury" salt in comparison to the sea-salt from France or Iberia. But when a hostile power shuts the access to atlantic salt, then an alternative source, even in smaller quantities, is what keeps a very tough winter at bay.

Perhaps Hans can take a Russian bride? If there isn't a Habsburg, the French are out and Mary is a mere claimant... who else has a title equal to Christian II? Doubt Sigismund would be amenable given the trade conflict...

And greater ties between the weird religious situation in the HRE and the original non-Papist high church in the east (they even have married clergy!) could be a interesting wrinkle...