TLIAPOT

Dan D. isn't a nice guy. But not because he's a conservative (in the American sense of the word). The "worst" people in this TL identify the problem best, but make an even worse problem by using a terrible method to solve that problem.

So it's sort of like a doctor who is brilliant at diagnosis; but then gives horrible treatment?

I am enjoying this TL greatly. Though I have one concern - I do hope this doesn't turn into a 'conservatives are evil' TL. It has been really enjoyable up to this point and I hope the TL doesn't go down that path.

Taft, for one, wasn't so much evil as he was naive and a literal isolationist.

Last Update:
1978 Midterm Elections

Next Update:
Buckleymania

End of Interment

Although some, like Robert Kennedy, had pushed for an earlier end to the incarceration, the exclusion order was not rescinded until 1981, postponed until after the November election so as not to impede Buckley's reelection campaign. Of those Jews not deported after the war, former internees were given $25 and a train ticket to their pre-war places of residence. Many had little or nothing to return to, having lost their homes and businesses. Many internees lost irreplaceable personal property due to restrictions that prohibited them from taking more than they could carry into the camps. These losses were compounded by theft and destruction of items placed in governmental storage. Leading up to their incarceration, Jews were prohibited from leaving the Military Zones or traveling more than 5 miles (8.0 km) from home, forcing those who had to travel for work, like truck drivers and residents of rural towns, to quit their jobs. Many others were simply fired for their "Kike" heritage.​

All camps were formally shut down by 1981, except those which held "renunciants" slated for deportation and those camps still receiving shipments of Jewish leaders from Latin America. Non-renunciant camps remained open for residents who were not ready to return (mostly elderly and families with young children), but the government pressured stragglers to leave by gradually eliminating services in camp. Those who had not left by each camp's close date were forcibly removed.

Alien land laws barred Jews from owning their pre-war homes and farms. A small Jewish community had cultivated land for decades as tenant farmers, but they lost their rights to farm those lands when they were forced to leave. Some Jews had found families willing to occupy their homes or tend their farms during their incarceration. However, those unable to strike a deal with caretakers had to sell their property, often in a matter of days and at great financial loss to predatory land speculators, who made huge profits.

Psychologists described how the Jews had grown increasingly depressed over the years, being overcome with feelings of helplessness and personal insecurity. Jewish "perseverance" to overcome hardships was mistaken by non-Jews as being introverted and lacking initiative in the post era, possibly giving rise to the American stereotype of Jews as “lazy”.

Jews also encountered hostility and even violence when they returned home. Concentrated largely in cities, there were dozens of reports of gun shots, fires, and explosions aimed at Jew homes, businesses and places of worship, in addition to non-violent crimes like vandalism and the defacing of Jewish graves. In one case, four men were accused of attacking a Jewish family, setting off an explosion and starting a fire on the family's property. Despite a confession from one of the men that implicated the others, the jury accepted their defense attorney's framing of the attack as a justifiable attempt to keep America "a white man's country" and acquitted all four defendants.

One journalist sums up the interment experience as follows. “The truth is—as this deplorable experience proves—that constitutions and laws are not sufficient of themselves...Despite the unequivocal language of the Constitution of the United States that the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, and despite the Fifth Amendment's command that no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, both of these constitutional safeguards were denied by military action under Executive Order 12066.”

In 1990, a letter surfaced and was published in the major newspapers. The letter, which demonstrated a racist bias against Jews within the Buckley White House, had been classified since 1977. The letter stated that, because of their race, it was impossible to determine the loyalty of Jews, thus necessitating internment. The original version was so offensive – even in the atmosphere of the wartime 1970s – FBI Director Richard Nixon ordered all copies to be destroyed.

A copy of the original letter was found in the National Archives, along with notes showing the numerous differences between the original and redacted versions. As such it came to light that the government had intentionally withheld these reports and other critical evidence, at trials all the way up to the Supreme Court, which proved that there was no military necessity for the exclusion and internment of Jews. The justifications were based on "willful historical inaccuracies and intentional falsehoods."

Chief Justice Charles Fahy had intentionally withheld original racist report, in order to justify the Buckley administration's actions in the cases of Cohen v. United States. The report would have undermined the administration's position of the military necessity for such action, as it concluded that most Jews were not a national security threat, and that allegations of communication espionage had been found to be without basis by the FBI...

Footnotes
[1] Attribution: large portions of this update are taken directly from the wikipedia entry on Japanese interment. I claim no part as my own work. If anyone wishes to see this update taken down, please say so and I will duly comply.

Last edited:
And of course nothing will be done once the letter comes to light.

I'll say it again, save for Nazi victory TLs, there's no worse place to be a Jew than TTL.