TLIAD: Union, Travail, Justice

UNION, TRAVAIL, JUSTICE

3AyEeuE.jpg

What’s this?

Surely you know by now.

A Timeline in a Day? You never finished the other one of those you started.

I’ll finish it someday.

Keep telling yourself that.

I… all right, it was too ambitious. And I did finish Nok Steel.

Hope springs eternal. But don’t you have something else you should be working on?

Everyone needs a break sometimes, and besides, I thought I’d give Tom’s new format a try.

AH.com, where magazine journalism goes to die?

Cynic.

Someone needs to counterbalance you. What’s this all about, anyway – one of the lesser-known provinces of the Central African Republic? Or did you do the obvious thing and pick one of the better-known provinces?

It’s about France.

Hence the very Gallic-looking mask at the top of the page?

It’s about France.

I sense you’re giving yourself some wiggle room.

Sense what you want. The first three scenes will take place in Paris.

I still think you’re not telling us everything.

Of course not, that would spoil the ending. Would it help if I said that the POD was in 1957, and that it involved someone with an apostrophe in his name?

No, not really.

OK. In that case, take a look at the motto above that Gallic-looking mask.

Looking.

It’s the theme of the timeline. But it’s also something else.

Last edited:
I am meant to be judging a debating competition tonight, but something tells me
I shall be distracted.

And the explosion of TLIADs continues... I don't think I've ever seen so many all at once - it's quite amazing really.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one though.

Umm, French, African and a hyphenated name? Could this be a TLIAD about Félix Houphouët-Boigny?

Or maybe Chaban-Delmas?

Gabon staying with France, maybe? Anyways, I'm going to follow this as good as I can! Also all these good TLIADs currently make me want to write my own... Maybe I'll prepare one for January ^^

THE TRIAL

EbXK7P1.jpg

There are as many Gabonais in the hexagon these days as there are in Gabon, and it seems that most of them are in the Paris cour d’assises where Alain-Bernard Bongo is being tried for corruption. The defendant sits impassively in a dark brown suit and checked tie, treating the proceedings as beneath his notice. The gallery is packed with his countrymen, who are silent yet anything but impassive.

Bongo is Gabon’s most recent Big Man, the son and successor of Albert-Bernard Bongo, who in turn was the protégé of Léon M'ba, the powerful chef de département and mayor of Libreville. It is in the nature of Big Men to rise high and fall hard. M’Ba and the elder Bongo both held ministerial rank in the French governments of their time, only to end their careers with prison and disgrace. Alain-Bernard, too, was Minister of Mines and Energy under Sarkozy, and may yet be a prisoner under Hollande.

The courtroom is nowhere near large enough to accommodate all the Gabonais who want to watch, and the crowd spills out into the hallway under the eye of watchful policemen. There, courtroom decorum is forgotten, and the air is filled with a hundred conversations, all on the same subject.

“They do this to every black minister,” says a lady in her forties who will identify herself only as Marie. “They can’t stand when a black man rises, so they put him in prison.”

“If we don’t want Gabonais on trial for corruption,” an older man answers, “we should stop electing people who are corrupt.”

That might be a tall order under normal circumstances. Gabon is far from Paris, and the Gabonais are rarely concerned with what their politicians get up to in the capital: they might even approve of corruption if it favors them. But this time might be different. Alain-Bernard isn’t on trial for ordinary financial peculation, or at least not just for that. He is also accused of complicity in the 2010 murder of two labor activists in the Moukouti oil field, a crime rumored to have been carried out at the instigation of Elf Aquitaine. The two Myene trade unionists’ deaths have become a cause celebre in southern Gabon, all the more so since the Sarkozy administration has been accused of covering up the crime.

“He’s the scapegoat for Sarko’s sins,” Marie maintains.

“He’s one of the sinners,” answers her interlocutor, “pretending to be a nun.”

I return to the courtroom, and notice for the first time that Alain-Bernard is the only African outside the gallery. One of the jurors looks like she might be Algerian, but the others – the judges, the eight remaining jurors, the prosecutor, the defense counsel – all of them are from the hexagon. Europeans on one side of the bar, Africans stolid and silent on the other: it could easily be a tableau from colonial times.

But on second look, Bongo isn’t the only black person in the well. There is a witness too, a woman in a plain gray dress that contrasts with the spectators’ finery, so slight and soft-spoken that it takes a second look to notice she is there.

“What happened then?” asks the presiding judge.

“They said they had a message for Etienne. That he should leave the oil field, or they would rape and kill his wife in front of his eyes and then kill him.”

“Did you recognize any of them?”

“No. They weren’t from Moukouti. They were Teke, from the Congo Republic.”

“How could you tell they were Teke?”

“From the way they spoke.”

A couple of the jurors look unimpressed. But I am told there will be other evidence concerning the people who made those threats. And the Bateke, of course, are the Bongos’ ethnic group. The evidence is circumstantial, but it is adding up, slowly drawing the net tighter as each witness takes the stand.

Outside again, I find Marie’s companion, who gives his name as August Onyemi. He is fifty-six, born in the last years of the colonial era, an infant at the time of the referendum that persuaded de Gaulle to allow Gabon to remain French. He has lived in Paris for thirty years, and owns a grocery store in the eighteenth arrondissement, but like all the Gabonais, he pays close attention to doings at home.

“The grandfather” – he means M’ba – “was always in and out of trouble. He went to prison for fraud and embezzlement, and everyone knows he was involved in that cult murder in ’31, even though they could never pin it on him. But he kept coming back. He thought he was clever enough to get away with any crime, and so did the father and the son.”

“Why do people keep voting for them, then?”

He motions to me, pointing toward the exit, which is also toward the north. “Come and see.”

You never do things by halves, do you Jonathan?

Reading with tremendous interest already - I've always thought how great it is that you came on the board. The lack of Africa-centric timelines is a crying shame on the Forum, but at least we have you striving to redress the balance almost single-handed!

I'll be reading with great interest!

Thanks to everyone who's reading.

Gabon staying with France, maybe?

Gabon remains part of the French Republic? Très intéressant.

So is Gabon the only part of the French Empire to remain?

Ten points to Iserlohn for guessing right before the update. Gabon is indeed part of France, which is something that M'ba wanted IOTL. There are several factors that led de Gaulle to give the consent ITTL that he withheld IOTL, starting with a different outcome of the 1957 territorial election; one of them was mentioned in the first update, and others will be discussed later.

And yes, Gabon is France's only African possession other than the ones it kept IOTL; it was the only one that wanted to stay.

Interesting as always- but wouldn't a French Gabon butterfly Sarkozy and Hollande?

I'm going with Tom's theme of butterfly conservation, which I think is plausible in this case; Gabon is far enough away and its population is small enough that it wouldn't have much influence on metropolitan French politics.

LA GOUTTE D’OR

gs1vwT9.jpg

In the Goutte d’Or neighborhood in the eighteenth arrondissement, it’s easy to forget you’re in Europe. This was an Algerian district once, and many Algerians still live there, but more recently, they’ve made way for the West Africans. The Marché Dejean and the streets beyond are packed with stores and small shops selling African clothing and imported foods, and the smell of fufu, Senegalese dibi and nyembwe chicken fills the air. There are also, of course, people selling counterfeit handbags and calling cards and electronics of dubious provenance, as there are in any other street market, but this one has a distinct sub-Saharan atmosphere.

It’s easy to tell which Africans are the Gabonais. Those from Dakar or Bamako or Brazzaville gather in groups and talk of bizness, the semi-legal street trade in which most are employed. Some of them are dressed in the outrageous pastel suits of the Congolese sapeur; the others, mostly, in jeans. The Gabonais are all French citizens and have legitimate businesses or civil-service jobs. Their papers are in order, and they feel less pressure to blend in, meaning that more of them – especially the women – wear traditional clothing.

August Onyemi’s grocery store is on the Rue Richomme, a few blocks from the market, and it has become a gathering place. He is a patron: one of the early arrivals, one who has done well, one who others look to for support and advice. When we arrive, there are half a dozen people waiting to greet him, none of whom are customers.

He introduces me and leads everyone to a table in the back room, where he pours coffee and listens. One of them has trouble with his landlord, another is out of work, a third has a son who was arrested for petty theft. A few of the problems are ones that August can solve himself; for the others, he rattles off names and cell-phone numbers from a list that he has obviously been compiling in his head for many years. He refills my coffee but otherwise ignores me; these are his clients in the old Roman fashion, and their needs come first.

Finally, he motions to me again, but is still speaking to his countrymen. “He wants to know why people like Alain-Bernard get elected,” he says.

“People owe them.” That’s the one who is facing eviction: Laurent, a man in his early twenties or even late teens, with a heavy accent that makes his French barely understandable.

“Look at it like this,” says Honoré, who has trouble with the tax office. “We come here, we’re strangers. People think we must be Muslim, we’re criminals, we’re bad news. So we have to go to someone to find an apartment, to get a job. Patrons like August can help with the small things – for the big things, we need to go to his patron. Someone like the son.”

“They’ve got the Bwiti sewn up too,” August adds, and something flashes through his eyes that is half reverence and half fear. I’ve heard of Bwiti: the faith that the Bantu peoples of Gabon learned from the Mitsogho forest-dwellers they conquered, which centers on the visions brought on by iboga bark. It’s banned in metropolitan France as it was in Gabon itself until ten years ago, and the church condemns it in the harshest terms, but I’d bet money that everyone in the room has been initiated. And I don’t need August to draw me a picture: if iboga can’t be brought to Paris legally, then it has to come through organized crime, and the priests have to answer to the drug lords. Those, again, are people like Alain-Bernard, if not the man himself.

I sip my coffee and consider that for a moment: a cartel that controls not only the newcomers’ livelihoods but their spiritual lives. Those who stay long enough and find secure jobs might graduate from financial dependence, as August has done, but religion remains a powerful hold.

“Bongo wasn’t elected here, though,” I say. “He’s a deputy from Libreville.”

“And you think it’s different there?” Honoré answers. “In Gabon, all the money comes from one place, and it all gets filtered through one person. If you want a job on the oil fields or with the government, or if you want to jump the waiting list for an apartment, you have to go to him.”

I wonder why that state of affairs would be allowed to continue in a place where French law holds sway, and then I remember that it’s been broken up several times. M’Ba went to prison over that, and so did the elder Bongo, and they weren’t the only ones. But it always seems to revert to type. Gabon is a long way from Paris, after all, and the politicians aren’t the only ones with an interest in keeping things the way they are…

“Of course, the son is just the one you see,” August says, and it seems that he’s been reading my mind. “There’s another you don’t, and it’s much more dangerous.”

I remembered the trial again, and I remembered who had reputedly put Alain-Bernard up to the crime. A Parisian company, whose directors must be terrified that the Gabonais deputy’s testimony would put them in the dock themselves.

Elf Aquitaine.

I've always assumed French language news must regularly contain stories about oil or other established company corruption in former French Africa, like it does in British media. Does anyone know if this right?

The nexus between the post colonial elites, the French government elites and military seems entirely too close for it all to be White Man's UNDP Burden

update. Gabon is indeed part of France, which is something that M'ba wanted IOTL. There are several factors that led de Gaulle to give the consent ITTL that he withheld IOTL, starting with a different outcome of the 1957 territorial election; one of them was mentioned in the first update, and others will be discussed later.

And yes, Gabon is France's only African possession other than the ones it kept IOTL; it was the only one that wanted to stay.

Hooray!

Also French Somaliland/Djibouti was kinda close, so that could be a nice potential butterfly. Heck, it could even work as an overseas department, just like Mayotte.