TLIAD: An Accident No More

Who was Bay's VP in the 80's? I'm sure you'll get up cabinet lists when you get the chance to.

Joe Biden, who died early in the '88 primaries.

I have a feeling that the Democratic George Bush will be Howard Dean.

Also, will you be posting electoral maps?

Well, 1988 and onward it's popular vote, so electoral maps wouldn't mean much...

And for "the Democratic George Bush", there's an appoint part of who Bush is that may be a hint.

Finale: 2000

---

Vice President William Cohen was running a strong campaign for President, with the rest of the party sitting out, save for Missouri Senator John Ashcroft who ran to his right, but winning no primary states. Cohen would select New Jersey Senator Christine Todd Whitman as his running mate, hoping to appeal to independents and moderates.

Multiple candidates ran for the Democratic nomination in 2000, hoping to reclaim the White House. Bill Clinton of Arkansas made his third bid but this time the effort was lack-luster and he was little noticed compared to other candidates. Senators Bob Kerrey and Paul Wellstone both ran but the nomination would fall to a familiar name – Indiana Governor Evan Bayh.

While Vice President William Cohen was an effective legislator and obviously up to the challenge of being chief executive, he lost the 2000 Presidential election on likeability. “Who would you want to have a beer with?” was the way the pundits described how voters were making their decision. Furthermore, Cohen had bothered his base by picking the moderate Whitman. Bayh made a callback to his father’s term by picking former California Congressman and Defense Secretary Ron Dellums as his running mate, who had become a liberal hero after the ’98 shutdown. Some Republicans would blame Cohen’s loss on “protest votes” for perennial Libertarian candidate Ron Paul.

Twelve years after he had left office, Birch Bayh witnessed his own son take the Oath of Office on a picturesque January day.

Bayh2 - Copy.png

The End?

Bayh2 - Copy.png

Interesting ending....I wonder what my in-laws would have made of Evan Bayh's victory. Both of them would have been around in 2000.

My father-in-law once joked that the only Republican he ever voted for was Evan Bayh. (My in-laws lived in Indiana, and my father-in-law taught at Purdue.)

Interesting ending....I wonder what my in-laws would have made of Evan Bayh's victory. Both of them would have been around in 2000.

My father-in-law once joked that the only Republican he ever voted for was Evan Bayh. (My in-laws lived in Indiana, and my father-in-law taught at Purdue.)

He's not the same Bayh ITTL. But I know what you mean.

So... I sort of hit a wall. Anybody care to reflect on what a "Democratic Bush" Administration would look like?

Well done. A nice clean party-swap with enough knowing jokes and imagination to make things interesting. Kudos!

Well done. A nice clean party-swap with enough knowing jokes and imagination to make things interesting. Kudos!

Thanks, I'd like to add more but I hit a wall in bringing it closer to modern day without a partisan edge developing... but I am open to suggestions.

My father-in-law's joking aside, I think that Pres. Evan Bayh has the potential to be less divisive.

However, everything depends on the economy and any ongoing wars. I think that you kind of defused 9/11. Will there be other terrorists events?

Also, in a TL about this era, I would like to see more about the impact of the internet, 24/7 news, and the "political" shows. I imagine that Tim Russert would be a fan of EB, but do we still have Rush Limbaugh on the radio and the McLaughlin Group & Crossfire on TV? Do we still have Fox & MSNBC?

However, the ending of your TLIAD is satisfying, and the format maintains focus and interest in a way that more long-running TLs may not.

p.s. ITTL, is VP William Cohen still married to Janet Langhart?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Langhart

I don't know what the T what's it's name stands for. Great ending though. I may have ideas for future events and election ideas. Also, what became of the religious right?

Deleted member 16736

Finale: 2000

While Vice President William Cohen was an effective legislator and obviously up to the challenge of being chief executive, he lost the 2000 Presidential election on likeability. “Who would you want to have a beer with?” was the way the pundits described how voters were making their decision.

I don't know anything about Cohen, but, Jesus, how dull is he that people would rather have a beer with EVAN BAYH? (And that's coming from someone who actually likes Evan Bayh.)

You have made Gerry Ferraro a failure, and for that you will not be forgiven, lol.

I just skimmed it (will read fully later, likely comment, too) but it looked good!!

My father-in-law's joking aside, I think that Pres. Evan Bayh has the potential to be less divisive.

However, everything depends on the economy and any ongoing wars. I think that you kind of defused 9/11. Will there be other terrorists events?

Also, in a TL about this era, I would like to see more about the impact of the internet, 24/7 news, and the "political" shows. I imagine that Tim Russert would be a fan of EB, but do we still have Rush Limbaugh on the radio and the McLaughlin Group & Crossfire on TV? Do we still have Fox & MSNBC?

However, the ending of your TLIAD is satisfying, and the format maintains focus and interest in a way that more long-running TLs may not.

p.s. ITTL, is VP William Cohen still married to Janet Langhart?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Langhart

Thanks, honestly I have few answers to those questions, sorta "Choose Your Own Adventure"-syle fill in the gaps.

I don't know what the T what's it's name stands for. Great ending though. I may have ideas for future events and election ideas. Also, what became of the religious right?

Feel free to share, and they were muted.

I don't know anything about Cohen, but, Jesus, how dull is he that people would rather have a beer with EVAN BAYH? (And that's coming from someone who actually likes Evan Bayh.)

It's all branding. Gore himself is actually sorta funny and can be charming, but that was totally lost in 2000.

You have made Gerry Ferraro a failure, and for that you will not be forgiven, lol.

I just skimmed it (will read fully later, likely comment, too) but it looked good!!

Gotta throw somebody under the bus, thanks!

I second Meadow here.

Cheers!

He's not the same Bayh ITTL. But I know what you mean.

So... I sort of hit a wall. Anybody care to reflect on what a "Democratic Bush" Administration would look like?

I'm not sure how direct an analogue you're looking for. On one hand, I kind of feel like this Bayh would either try to parrot his father in hopes of the same political success - or, in the opposite direction, reach out a lot more to moderates and the right, and possibly alienate liberals to some degree. Again though, I'm not sure if you want to puppet the War on Terror, which completely changes the structure.

In any case, I'd be happy to help.

Who's Evan Bay's VP?
A few ideas are that the GOP starts to get rid of it's more far-right members like Pat Buchanan and others. In 2004, Bay and his running mate win a second term against John Mccain and his running mate, whoever that is.

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
I really like this idea.

If you're following the line of it I wonder who the GOP Obama is? I was going to say Marco Rubio but that'd involve him getting into the senate earlier, right?

I'm not sure how direct an analogue you're looking for. On one hand, I kind of feel like this Bayh would either try to parrot his father in hopes of the same political success - or, in the opposite direction, reach out a lot more to moderates and the right, and possibly alienate liberals to some degree. Again though, I'm not sure if you want to puppet the War on Terror, which completely changes the structure.

In any case, I'd be happy to help.

Hmmm... that moves some gears, and why not both?

Who's Evan Bay's VP?
A few ideas are that the GOP starts to get rid of it's more far-right members like Pat Buchanan and others. In 2004, Bay and his running mate win a second term against John Mccain and his running mate, whoever that is.

Evan Bayh's VP is Ron Dellums, who ITTL was SecDef in the 80s as well as a very influential House member, basically alt-liberal Cheney in that there is little chance he runs in 2008.

I really like this idea.

If you're following the line of it I wonder who the GOP Obama is? I was going to say Marco Rubio but that'd involve him getting into the senate earlier, right?

Well with ~30 yrs of butterflies that wouldn't be hard, or Governor.

Not much to add other than joining others in saying that this was very enjoyable. :)

Thanks!

Hmmm...maybe Bobby Jindal runs for the Senate in 04, and turns into the Obama of this TL.

As a more general note, I really loved reading this TL.

Hmmm... that moves some gears, and why not both?

Bayh's first term in office is initially disappointing - determined to appear above politics, he mostly focuses on bipartisian and even some right-leaning objectives. The far right and far left dislike him but he remains very popular with moderates in the middle. The midterms are relatively uneventful, maybe with a few light Dem or Rep gains, but ultimately not a 1994 or 2010-esque shake-up. Overall though, Bayh is only seen as a shadow of his father at this point.

In mid-2003, a terrorist attack occurs that rocks the Bayh administration. He's quick to action and the remainder of his first term is mostly focused on the equivalent War on Terror. It's less broad in focus but runs into problems of it's own down the line. The 'rally around the flag' effect is tremendously helpful and Dems get significant gains in '04 as Bayh defeats a respected GOP elder who was more of a sacrificial lamb than anything else.

Bayh's second term is a massive shift as he begins passing liberal legislation and makes generous usage of his political capital. The Democratic Party is united strong behind Bayh, who remains popular initially. I'm not sure what kind of programs are passed in this time, but he does a pretty good job satisfying his former liberal enemies. The right mobilizes against him on the campaign trail though, advocating repeals of this and that and a larger War on Terror. Some conservatives see him as a traitor.

The midterms are poor, though not quite disastrous, and although Bayh maintains a certain level of popularity, the ultimate field is mostly dominated by those trying to appear as further from Bayh than closer. A minor scandal dominates the closing days of his administration and ala Lewinsky, it doesn't destroy his approval ratings but does become a permanent dent on his legacy. He's a rather polarizing figure at the end of his tenure - loved by his allies and hated by his enemies.

Ahem. I put too much thought into this.

Ooooo the general trend is what I was thinking as well but I sort of butterflied the war on terror, as we know it, but I've got a good follow up.

I really appreciate continuing interest on such a little concept. Also I think I know who is going to follow Bayh. Should have a post in a a day or two depending on work!