TL: Yorkshire Devolution

Direct subsidy of many routes began in the 1980s, as passenger numbers continue to drop, and in 1988 this saw the creation of the British Rail subsector RidingsRail to accompany Network NorthWest.
Yes ....
What could have been an organisational step forward was, however, tinged by the 1980s replacement of many older trains with new Pacer trains - cheap "bus-on-rails" - which proved highly unpopular with passengers for the poor ride quality and barebones style.
Ahh the Pacer, so "cheap" it cost 20k pounds more per annum to maintain that bugger than the much better than the class 150 Sprinter (1:22:00 for the figure). Sad that it is still exist ITTL, although I think IOTL they were introduced in the timeframe before (1980-1987)the creation of RidingsRail.
Further county action on rail transport was stymied however, as the County was abolished during Thatcherism, and the 1990s saw little unified effort on the railways, despite the existence of the Association of Yorkshire Authorities. Central government continued piecemeal works on the railways, with electrification seeing further efforts in the 1980s and 1990s under national trunk route schemes. This saw the East Coast Main Line electrified, "from top to bottom", including the Leeds branches via Wakefield and via Cross Gates. This was then followed up by the West Yorkshire scheme, which saw Leeds to Bradford, Skipton, Ilkley and Harrogate/York all electrified, bringing faster electric trains to the urban routes - even if they were refurbished old trains from eastern England. The "trickle down" of trains, saw numerous older Pacer trains eliminated from the Yorkshire network, which was met with praise, so hated were the old trains, despite the second hand nature of the replacements.
Other notes:
Woodhead Line remained open; this probably has major butterflies on the Sheffield Supertram; I'm not entirely sure whether it goes ahead or not. BR is assisted to update the Woodhead Line when it falls from freight usage, allowing a few stations to reopen on the line.
ECML electrification roughly happens as OTL.
Yorkshire electrification in OTL did Leeds-Bradford, Skipton, Ilkley. Here, we've added Hambleton (ECML) to Leeds for east side access, and the Harrogate Line (both termini stations are already electrified at Leeds and York).
With this in mind, I presumed is there are more class 307 that is allocated then, since IOTL there were only 5 that is refurbished and send to Yorkshire...and there would be more of them joining ITTL instead of being scrapped. And perhaps the weirdly small order of 3 units of class 321/9s could be bigger as well ITTL.
As for the rest of the update, it is interesting to see the infrastructure upgrade that is been done, which could in turn encourage the other parts of the country to do the same, and with the increase deployment of infrastructure projects, perhaps it could lead to a decrease in cost, and thus creating a good feedback loop.

Another great update by the way...it has been a while since I was last comment on this, although I don't have anything to add to the other updates....except perhaps a question on is there a relationship developed between Trident Television and the SMG-owned STV, and would the goverment perhaps nudging UTV of Ulster and CTV of the Channel Islands to perhaps being incorporated into Trident instead of ITV....?

Devvy

Donor
Yes ....

Ahh the Pacer, so "cheap" it cost 20k pounds more per annum to maintain that bugger than the much better than the class 150 Sprinter (1:22:00 for the figure). Sad that it is still exist ITTL, although I think IOTL they were introduced in the timeframe before (1980-1987)the creation of RidingsRail.

Cheap to procure, which is all that's important in cash strapped BR. They were introduced before RidingsRail was created as a sector, but imagine the effect of replacing loads of local trains with Pacers, and then branding them as the new "RidingsRail". It's hardly a great start for the sector, and it's not going to be well loved.

With this in mind, I presumed is there are more class 307 that is allocated then, since IOTL there were only 5 that is refurbished and send to Yorkshire...and there would be more of them joining ITTL instead of being scrapped. And perhaps the weirdly small order of 3 units of class 321/9s could be bigger as well ITTL.
As for the rest of the update, it is interesting to see the infrastructure upgrade that is been done, which could in turn encourage the other parts of the country to do the same, and with the increase deployment of infrastructure projects, perhaps it could lead to a decrease in cost, and thus creating a good feedback loop.

Bear in mind, that the Class 308 also went up north to the area, and were available in large numbers. I don't think the infrastructure upgrade will inspire much of the country (I mean look at OTL; Scotland/Scotrail has a long term, slow-but-steady, rollout of electrification, which is completely ignored south of the border for various reasons). But it would provide some extra incentive of "look what you could do if you actually established a province"; hence the eventual creation of NW England and East Anglia.

Another great update by the way...it has been a while since I was last comment on this, although I don't have anything to add to the other updates....except perhaps a question on is there a relationship developed between Trident Television and the SMG-owned STV, and would the goverment perhaps nudging UTV of Ulster and CTV of the Channel Islands to perhaps being incorporated into Trident instead of ITV....?
Thanks; I'll be quite honest, I have no idea. I just figured out a way to make YTV survive towards digitalisation of the TV, and market space for more channels, and figured it could then establish itself independently. I'm toying with some extra little snippet about YTV, but I have no idea how that'll go. I'd take your suggestion for UTV/CTV, sounds good, but ITV politics has been difficult to wrap my head around!

Cheap to procure, which is all that's important in cash strapped BR. They were introduced before RidingsRail was created as a sector, but imagine the effect of replacing loads of local trains with Pacers, and then branding them as the new "RidingsRail". It's hardly a great start for the sector, and it's not going to be well loved.

Bear in mind, that the Class 308 also went up north to the area, and were available in large numbers. I don't think the infrastructure upgrade will inspire much of the country (I mean look at OTL; Scotland/Scotrail has a long term, slow-but-steady, rollout of electrification, which is completely ignored south of the border for various reasons). But it would provide some extra incentive of "look what you could do if you actually established a province"; hence the eventual creation of NW England and East Anglia.

Thanks; I'll be quite honest, I have no idea. I just figured out a way to make YTV survive towards digitalisation of the TV, and market space for more channels, and figured it could then establish itself independently. I'm toying with some extra little snippet about YTV, but I have no idea how that'll go. I'd take your suggestion for UTV/CTV, sounds good, but ITV politics has been difficult to wrap my head around!

ITV politics is a swine! Have you thought about a "Ridings Television" station to better cover the area?

Part of Post 60
I can well imagine Teessiders being the underappreciated forgotten segment of Yorkshire, but it's still probably better than being directly governed as "England" by Westminster. Although Northallerton to Middlesbrough does cross in to County Durham, it is basically all Yorkshire apart from a 6km stretch through Easglescliffe & southern Stockton. The Middlesbrough-Darlington would be majority in County Durham, and Yorkshire isn't going to want to spend money on projects outside Yorkshire (nor would it probably be allowed under some kind of jurisdictional rules). Can't see it being electrified further east than Middlesbrough either, as there's a lot of industry down that way which feels...risky for electrification. Even if that's irrational, somebody will whinge about it, and there's going to be other rail sections which are easier and more important to put wires over.
I'm a Teessider and that's why this thread feels like a "Greater West Riding" to me - regardless of whether it was or wasn't in practice.

To my knowledge, there were several proposals to electrify both routes from Middlesbrough to Saltburn (i.e. via Guisborough as well as Redcar) between the 1910s and the 1950s. The first serious one was what became the OTL Shildon-Newport electrification, that was originally part of a larger scheme that included Bishop Auckland-Darlington-Middlesbrough-Redcar-Saltburn & Middlesbrough-Guisborough-Saltburn. The last one that I know about was Darlington to Saltburn via Redcar which was part of the 33-Year Plan of 1957.

And if Middlesbrough-Redcar-Saltburn was electrified it would be logical to do Bishop Auckland-Darlington-Middlesbrough at the same time as most of the passenger trains that run from Middlesbrough to Saltburn actually run from Bishop Auckland to Saltburn. Perhaps it could be done as a joint scheme between the Province of Yorkshire and the North Eastern Province. This scheme would hopefully include the electrification of Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe and the reopening of Nunthorpe to Guisborough.

Other more ambitious schemes were also mooted; reinstating the link from Harrogate to Ripon and Northallerton and thereby restoring rail access to Ripon. This would have been a secondary route from Yorkshire to the North East attracted significant support, allowing more services to operate from Leeds towards Middlesbrough and Newcastle, but was ultimately a bridge too far for the time being given the funding and skills required - whilst also the site of a rebuilt Ripon station caused significant local debate. Some of the idea's aims were part-satisfied by the transfer of some CrossCountry rail services from Reading to operate via Leeds and terminate at Harrogate instead of Leeds, which introduced a congestion relieving (especially at peak times) express service between the two stations.
I'm 100% in favour of this. Unfortunately, the Ripon bypass (which was built in the late 1980s) used part of the railway's route, so it may not be feasible.

Further county action on rail transport was stymied however, as the County was abolished during Thatcherism, and the 1990s saw little unified effort on the railways, despite the existence of the Association of Yorkshire Authorities. Central government continued piecemeal works on the railways, with electrification seeing further efforts in the 1980s and 1990s under national trunk route schemes. This saw the East Coast Main Line electrified, "from top to bottom", including the Leeds branches via Wakefield and via Cross Gates. This was then followed up by the West Yorkshire scheme, which saw Leeds to Bradford, Skipton, Ilkley and Harrogate/York all electrified, bringing faster electric trains to the urban routes - even if they were refurbished old trains from eastern England. The "trickle down" of trains, saw numerous older Pacer trains eliminated from the Yorkshire network, which was met with praise, so hated were the old trains, despite the second hand nature of the replacements.
Please will you clarify.

When you wrote ...
This saw the East Coast Main Line electrified, "from top to bottom", including the Leeds branches via Wakefield and via Cross Gates.
... Does "and via Cross Gates" mean Leeds to York via Cross Gates, Micklefield Junction, Church Fenton (for Yorkshire International Airport) and Colton Junction?

If it does, it would have allowed all-electric working from Leeds to Newcastle and (when Northallerton to Middeslbrough is electrified) Leeds to Middlesbrough. That would strengthen the argument for the early electrification of Leeds-Manchester-Liverpool because more than half of the route from Newcastle to Liverpool would have been electrified. Which in turn strengthen the argument for electrifying Micklefield Junction to Hull because more than half of the Liverpool to Hull route would have been electrified and electrifying Micklefield Junciton to Hull would have allowed the Newcastle to Hull trains to be electrically hauled too.

Is one of the reasons why you chose Church Fenton as the site for Yorkshire International airport that it's on the line from York to Sheffield? If so, would Church Fenton to Sheffield be one of the piecemeal electrification schemes of the 1990s? If it was, it would have been possible for electric trains to run from Sheffield to Leeds via Moorthorpe and Swinton to Doncaster might have been done at the same time.

And when you wrote ...
This was then followed up by the West Yorkshire scheme, which saw Leeds to Bradford, Skipton, Ilkley and Harrogate/York all electrified,
Does Harrogate/York, include Harrogate-Knaresborough-Poppleton-York?
Transport Yorkshire, and it's predecessors, have long been involved in rail transport within Yorkshire. One of the first acts, negotiated whilst the County of Yorkshire was still being created, was to jointly help fund modernisation of the cross-Pennine Woodhead Route by British Rail. This was a compromise - it avoided continued subsidisation of the route, given it was a primary Sheffield to Manchester route and was also electrified (albeit with an outdated system). This move supported continued rail access to the Yorkshire settlements of Oughtibridge, Stocksbridge and Penistone, whilst also allowing continued usage by express Sheffield to Manchester services. The negative consequences of this were predominately felt in the Derbyshire Dales, where the Hope Valley Line saw services slashed and the railway singled - but such action was not a primary concern for Yorkshire given it's location outside the county.
If Manchester-Sheffield-Wath isn't closed in the 1980s and instead is converted from 1,500v DC to 25kv AC there will be an excellent argument for electrifying Sheffield to Retford when the ECML is electrified later in the 1980s and there will be a good argument for electiffing the line from Wath to Mexborough when the Sheffield to Church Fenton & Swinton to Doncaster lines are electrified.

Although it was outside the Province of Yorkshire's purview it would be possible to run electric trains all the way to Liverpool when Manchester to Liverpool Central or Liverpool Lime Street (and preferably both) are electrified.

Transport Yorkshire, and it's predecessors, have long been involved in rail transport within Yorkshire. One of the first acts, negotiated whilst the County of Yorkshire was still being created, was to jointly help fund modernisation of the cross-Pennine Woodhead Route by British Rail. This was a compromise - it avoided continued subsidisation of the route, given it was a primary Sheffield to Manchester route and was also electrified (albeit with an outdated system). This move supported continued rail access to the Yorkshire settlements of Oughtibridge, Stocksbridge and Penistone, whilst also allowing continued usage by express Sheffield to Manchester services. The negative consequences of this were predominately felt in the Derbyshire Dales, where the Hope Valley Line saw services slashed and the railway singled - but such action was not a primary concern for Yorkshire given it's location outside the county.
IOTL the rump of the Manchester-Sheffield-Wath line (i.e. the section from Manchester to Hadfield & Glossop) was converted from DC to AC in the early 1980s and when I first read the above I thought you meant the whole MSW line was converted in the early 1980s. However, now it looks like it was done in the middle 1970s.

Unfortunately, one of its second acts can't be the to stop the closure of the Harrogate to Northallerton line because it was closed to passengers in 1967 (but the track wasn't lifted until 1970) and the first elections for the County of Yorkshire weren't until 1973. However, if it was more "rail minded" than the OTL local government bodies & the Department of Transport it may have done more to preserve the routes of closed lines to make reopening easier and one of it's last acts might have been to approve the reopening of the line instead of the OTL Ripon bypass which as I wrote before used part of the Harrogate to Northallerton line's route.

The County of Yorkshire was also created too late to save the Guisborough branch. However, as the town's population grew considerably between its closure in 1964 & the middle 1970s and the County of Yorkshire seems to be more "rail minded" than the Ministry of Transport, Teesside County Borough Council & Cleveland County Council were IOTL it would have reopened the 4 miles 18 chains from Nunthorpe Junction to Guisborough Station before the health centre was built on the site of the latter. The intermediate stations at Pitchinthorpe and Hutton Gate were probably reopened too.

Devvy

Donor
Part of Post 60

I'm a Teessider and that's why this thread feels like a "Greater West Riding" to me - regardless of whether it was or wasn't in practice.

I've been thinking about this a lot since last time you mentioned it. I think Yorkshire will end up similar to other devolved areas; Aberdeen complains about Central Belt domination of London, the outer suburbs get annoyed at the London Assembly (see: ULEZ), North Wales gets frustrated by South Wales domination of Welsh Assembly. And here, inevitably, the West Riding (in OTL, what is West & South Yorkshire) will dominate provincial politics. However, they will have to take heed of politics in other areas; because of the proportional voting to avoid single-party domination (same as Wales and Scotland), non-Labour parties will pick up seats even in the West Riding, so they'll have to at least pay lip service to North Yorkshire and Teeside.

That said, Teeside is also going to have some frustrations given that the former Cleveland county has been sliced down the middle - the Teeside urban area has been sliced down the middle with the provincial Yorkshire on one side, and County Durham with no province on the other side.

To my knowledge, there were several proposals to electrify both routes from Middlesbrough to Saltburn (i.e. via Guisborough as well as Redcar) between the 1910s and the 1950s. The first serious one was what became the OTL Shildon-Newport electrification, that was originally part of a larger scheme that included Bishop Auckland-Darlington-Middlesbrough-Redcar-Saltburn & Middlesbrough-Guisborough-Saltburn. The last one that I know about was Darlington to Saltburn via Redcar which was part of the 33-Year Plan of 1957.

And if Middlesbrough-Redcar-Saltburn was electrified it would be logical to do Bishop Auckland-Darlington-Middlesbrough at the same time as most of the passenger trains that run from Middlesbrough to Saltburn actually run from Bishop Auckland to Saltburn. Perhaps it could be done as a joint scheme between the Province of Yorkshire and the North Eastern Province. This scheme would hopefully include the electrification of Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe and the reopening of Nunthorpe to Guisborough.

Just FYI; there is no North Eastern Province (at least by 2020), due to the failed referendum in mid 2000s. As Middlesbrough is in Yorkshire, I envisaged the referendum getting bogged down in "centralisation of power in Tyneside" (whereever the seat of the province is, it'll be dominated by Tyneside). So rail politics ends up largely governed by Westminster; I think the Tyne & Wear Metro will still comfortably happen here, but the schemes you mentioned along the banks of the Tees will probably be overlooked.

I'm 100% in favour of this. Unfortunately, the Ripon bypass (which was built in the late 1980s) used part of the railway's route, so it may not be feasible.

Agreed, that why it's not happened so far; the issue of how to route it through Ripon will be local politics+++. I think a scheme passing to the east of Ripon with a station on Boroughbridge Road is the most likely, but it'll be argued over. For bonus points, I often used to walk on this route in the 1980s-2000s from Bilton to the River Nidd, pleased to see it's now a cycleway at that end in OTL :)

Please will you clarify.

When you wrote ...

... Does "and via Cross Gates" mean Leeds to York via Cross Gates, Micklefield Junction, Church Fenton (for Yorkshire International Airport) and Colton Junction
If it does, it would have allowed all-electric working from Leeds to Newcastle and (when Northallerton to Middeslbrough is electrified) Leeds to Middlesbrough. That would strengthen the argument for the early electrification of Leeds-Manchester-Liverpool because more than half of the route from Newcastle to Liverpool would have been electrified. Which in turn strengthen the argument for electrifying Micklefield Junction to Hull because more than half of the Liverpool to Hull route would have been electrified and electrifying Micklefield Junciton to Hull would have allowed the Newcastle to Hull trains to be electrically hauled too.

My thoughts were that it would have been literally from Hambleton Junction (where the ECML crosses the Leeds-Selby line) through Garforth and Cross Gates to Leeds. This allows electric expresses to run straight in to Leeds, as well as connecting line Garforth-Church Fenton-Colton Junction. This is because of what you say below; it's a small amount of electrification which allows significant electric traction between Leeds and Newcastle.

Is one of the reasons why you chose Church Fenton as the site for Yorkshire International airport that it's on the line from York to Sheffield? If so, would Church Fenton to Sheffield be one of the piecemeal electrification schemes of the 1990s? If it was, it would have been possible for electric trains to run from Sheffield to Leeds via Moorthorpe and Swinton to Doncaster might have been done at the same time.

To be honest, I chose Church Fenton on largely non-rail set of metrics, although it was a nice bonus. It's still very close to Leeds to be considered the primary airport for Leeds (whilst justifying the closure of the OTL Leeds-Bradford Airport). It's very close to the A1 motorway, close to M62 and ATL M18 motorway, so it's easy to access from Hull, M'boro, and even what is OTL South Yorkshire. It's a working airport with 2 x 1.8km runways, which seem to have space for lengthening, and open space around so few people to complain about airport/aircraft noise. One of the runways is on the SW/NE alignment to fit in with general wind patterns for the UK. Then, as you say, it's almost adjacent to Church Fenton station, which sits on the main Leeds-York route, and is also accessible by new train services from Sheffield and Hull if was so desired later (so far in this ATL, not!).

And when you wrote ...
Does Harrogate/York, include Harrogate-Knaresborough-Poppleton-York?

Yes. The awkward parts of the termini electrification are already taken care of at Leeds and York, the Leeds-Harrogate is solid double track, with one long tunnel and two viaducts - not too difficult, especially if they can manage the viaduct in Berwick-on-Tweed. Harrogate-York is largely single track, which reduces price a little.

If Manchester-Sheffield-Wath isn't closed in the 1980s and instead is converted from 1,500v DC to 25kv AC there will be an excellent argument for electrifying Sheffield to Retford when the ECML is electrified later in the 1980s and there will be a good argument for electiffing the line from Wath to Mexborough when the Sheffield to Church Fenton & Swinton to Doncaster lines are electrified.

Although it was outside the Province of Yorkshire's purview it would be possible to run electric trains all the way to Liverpool when Manchester to Liverpool Central or Liverpool Lime Street (and preferably both) are electrified.

Sheffield-Retford is one of those common sense casualties, and is part of the reason Sheffield-Doncaster was done later; this allows freight to trundle from the ECML across the Pennines via Doncaster, Wath, Peniston and over to Manchester. The connecting line isn't grade separated in Retford, so would play havoc on expresses having freight try to switch across on the flat crossing.

IOTL the rump of the Manchester-Sheffield-Wath line (i.e. the section from Manchester to Hadfield & Glossop) was converted from DC to AC in the early 1980s and when I first read the above I thought you meant the whole MSW line was converted in the early 1980s. However, now it looks like it was done in the middle 1970s.

My feeling here is that BR is trying to close a cross-Pennine route in the 1970-1980s given there are two between Sheffield and Manchester. One is a bit winding, and the other is faster and electrified. The electric systems are shot, but if Yorkshire offers some funding to help update to 25kV, it's a no-brainer for BR, and it retains rail travel along the Don Valley for Yorkshire. There will be losers in the OTL rail route area, but they are in Derbyshire, so what does Yorkshire care? It keeps express Sheffield (and beyond) -Manchester services, all on cheaper electric traction. The only negative point for Sheffield is the continued existence of two stations on separate routes with little mix, but there are a ton of other towns and cities in the UK in the same positions.

Unfortunately, one of its second acts can't be the to stop the closure of the Harrogate to Northallerton line because it was closed to passengers in 1967 (but the track wasn't lifted until 1970) and the first elections for the County of Yorkshire weren't until 1973. However, if it was more "rail minded" than the OTL local government bodies & the Department of Transport it may have done more to preserve the routes of closed lines to make reopening easier and one of it's last acts might have been to approve the reopening of the line instead of the OTL Ripon bypass which as I wrote before used part of the Harrogate to Northallerton line's route.

Agree; most of the OTL rail closures are already closed. Woodhead hung on due to one-off funding (instead of annual subsidies) for electrification, and it only finally closed in the 1980s anyway. Others are long gone.

I thought the province would be a little rail-minded, as like London/TfL it's one of the major public policy areas it can actually control to justify it's existence, but also West Yorkshire was rail-focussed and as we mentioned earlier, that area will be a bastion of power in provincial Yorkshire - but will likewise have to justify it's existence across all of Yorkshire.

The County of Yorkshire was also created too late to save the Guisborough branch. However, as the town's population grew considerably between its closure in 1964 & the middle 1970s and the County of Yorkshire seems to be more "rail minded" than the Ministry of Transport, Teesside County Borough Council & Cleveland County Council were IOTL it would have reopened the 4 miles 18 chains from Nunthorpe Junction to Guisborough Station before the health centre was built on the site of the latter. The intermediate stations at Pitchinthorpe and Hutton Gate were probably reopened too.

I've toyed with thoughts over Guisborough and the Whitby line more generally. I've tried to stay away from reopening rail until the province starts up (and likewise, I didn't want to to be all trains trains trains! :) ), just because history tends to suggest, once the track is closed, it's not reopening very easily.

In red is a new double-track line, branching off near Woodlesford (so that station stays open!), via what is now an industrial area, but was then unbuilt open land land until the M1 diversion opened if I remember right. In this TL, it'd be kinda similar, but with a football stadium, park and ride.... and a new station. I'd imagine the road would be realigned to run parallel to the railway in this TL, but I'm not going to make that much effort on the map!
Thanks - we are talking about the same route. It is all colliery/power station/industrial land and i suspect there was a rail link over the river at some point which must have linked up with the current freight line to the Hunslet stone terminal - the Leeds facing connection at the top of the bank to Neville Hill will be fun to squeeze in - I cant imagine it going in without knocking down some of that corner of Leeds.

perhaps a curved tunnel popping up in the cutting somewhere ; - )

Connects in near Neville Hill depot, and that cutting heading NW is 5-tracked. The bit in blue would be the expensive part, requiring a new viaduct for approx 1,000 metres to bring an additional pair of tracks in to Leeds station to give the capacity for that. You can then direct almost all services to operate via Leeds, rather than terminate at Leeds.
This also conserves the OTL railway via Hunslet as a largely freight & diversionary route
The blue bit is going to cost a fortune - that viaduct approach is very tight on buildings and will need a lot of "land take" and while the builds are not of real architectural merit they are "period" and settled from an aesthetic point of view. You are also VERY close to Leeds minster - i can already hear the objectors pencils being sharpened!

I have often wondered if such a 4 tracking would really be possible. In an idle moment I wondered about a double deck viaduct! Has it ever been more than 2 tracks?

Can't see it being electrified further east than Middlesbrough either,
Agreed - there is no case for that - UNLESS the whole Tees Valley line is done ( which it wont be)

The Middlesbrough-Darlington would be majority in County Durham, and Yorkshire isn't going to want to spend money on projects outside Yorkshire (nor would it probably be allowed under some kind of jurisdictional rules).
it is joint Yorkshire/ North east investment - Northumbria rail! ;-)

it is a sensible fill in scheme if the ECML and the Middlesbrough route are wired as it removes an island of diesel operation and allows for more operational flexibility for passengers and freight. I can see this electrification becoming a touch stone for NE devolution: Yorkshire get nice "new" electric trains and we get bus trains!

Having the entire stretches from Leeds to Hull and to Middlesbrough electrified (as well as to Newcastle already done from the 1980s), means there's significant efficiencies to be gained if Westminster & North-West England agrees to help fund the modernisation/electrification of the primary Transpennine route via Huddersfield, as from Leeds onwards it's already electrified on all TPE routes.
Agreed - it needs a sensible joint plan for the devolved regional units to work together to fund and deliver a better service for thier areas - they can dump thier cast off trains on the non devolved north east ( creating more pressure for NE devolution)

From Chapter 1/Post 1
The M18 motorway would eventually head up towards North Yorkshire, connecting to the bottom of the new A1(M) motorway, providing a motorway route to the North East which bypassed the busy areas of the West Riding; motorway re-designation in the 1990s now brought the M18 as far as Darlington (just over the border in to County Durham!), with the A1 label retaining the older (usually adjacent) road.
From Chapter 4/Post 24.
M18 continues north via York, and then northwards. The A1 therefore remains the "old road", with the M18 taking the place of the A1(M).
On the map at the bottom of Chapter 4/Post 24 the M18 extension starts at the northern end of the OTL M18 and more or less follows the alignment of the A19 until it meets the west end of the York southern bypass (A64) near Copmanthorpe. It then duplexes with the York northern bypass (A1279) to the junction with the A59 . The final section follows the alignment of the A59 from the A1279 to the A1 near Knaresborough.

Is suggest that the final section should be York to Thirsk roughly following the alignment of the A19. That way there are effectively two motorway/expressway routes from London to the North East.
  1. The M1 from London to its northern terminus at Junction 43 of the A1(M) and then the A1(M) from Junction 43 to the vicinity of Newcastle.
  2. The A1/A1(M) from London to Doncaster, then the M18 from Doncaster to Thirsk and finally the A19 from Thirsk to Newcastle via Teesside and (the vicinity of) Wearside.
PS as the "Doncaster to Thirsk Motorway" ends at a junction the A19 perhaps it should be renamed the M19?

Last edited:

Devvy

Donor
Thanks - we are talking about the same route. It is all colliery/power station/industrial land and i suspect there was a rail link over the river at some point which must have linked up with the current freight line to the Hunslet stone terminal - the Leeds facing connection at the top of the bank to Neville Hill will be fun to squeeze in - I cant imagine it going in without knocking down some of that corner of Leeds.

perhaps a curved tunnel popping up in the cutting somewhere ; - )

From maps of the area from the 2000s and my personal recollection, that area was just sewage works and a golf course, and is pretty flat prior to the A63 link road / Pontefract Lane, so should be fine. The bridge over the River Aire will be the primary cost; station can be pretty barebones a la Reading Green Park (which in 2020s cost £20 million).

The blue bit is going to cost a fortune - that viaduct approach is very tight on buildings and will need a lot of "land take" and while the builds are not of real architectural merit they are "period" and settled from an aesthetic point of view. You are also VERY close to Leeds minster - i can already hear the objectors pencils being sharpened!

To be honest, fairly soon after I wrote that I thought to myself it'll probably get cancelled for finance reasons, and NR will install high capacity signalling as a workaround. Considering the slow speed as trains accelerate away from Leeds, you should be able to squeeze 15-20 trains per hour, especially as it widens to 4 tracks east of the viaduct through the cutting.

I have often wondered if such a 4 tracking would really be possible. In an idle moment I wondered about a double deck viaduct! Has it ever been more than 2 tracks?

Not as far as I can tell; it's always been double track. Probably for the same reasons, and the rapid development around it.

Agreed - there is no case for that - UNLESS the whole Tees Valley line is done ( which it wont be)

it is joint Yorkshire/ North east investment - Northumbria rail! ;-)

it is a sensible fill in scheme if the ECML and the Middlesbrough route are wired as it removes an island of diesel operation and allows for more operational flexibility for passengers and freight. I can see this electrification becoming a touch stone for NE devolution: Yorkshire get nice "new" electric trains and we get bus trains!

Agreed - it needs a sensible joint plan for the devolved regional units to work together to fund and deliver a better service for thier areas - they can dump thier cast off trains on the non devolved north east ( creating more pressure for NE devolution)

Something for the future, but it's hardly a top priority for Yorkshire. :)

From Chapter 1/Post 1

From Chapter 4/Post 24.

On the map at the bottom of Chapter 4/Post 24 the M18 extension starts at the northern end of the OTL M18 and more or less follows the alignment of the A19 until it meets the west end of the York southern bypass (A64) near Copmanthorpe. It then duplexes with the York northern bypass (A1279) to the junction with the A59 . The final section follows the alignment of the A59 from the A1279 to the A1 near Knaresborough.

Is suggest that the final section should be York to Thirsk roughly following the alignment of the A19. That way there are effectively two motorway/expressway routes from London to the North East.
  1. The M1 from London to its northern terminus at Junction 43 of the A1(M) and then the A1(M) from Junction 43 to the vicinity of Newcastle.
  2. The A1/A1(M) from London to Doncaster, then the M18 from Doncaster to Thirsk and finally the A19 from Thirsk to Newcastle via Teesside and (the vicinity of) Wearside.

So here:
  • "M1-A1" link is probably an trunk dual carriageway for a combination of financial pressures and traffic reasons. There has to be budget cuts somewhere!
  • The A1 from Micklefield north to Walshford is probably dual carriageway as well
  • What is in OTL the A1(M) north of Walshford was converted to motorway in the 1990s if Wikipedia is to be believed (that was further north then I ventured!).
  • This ATL M18 would continue north of Selby, past York (forming one side of the ring road), and then hook in at Walshford. The route further north would then be renumbered the M18, probably as far as Newcastle, with the old road continuing as the A1. This ATL M18 I think would carry much of the North-East / South traffic, as it completely bypasses the busy Leeds area on the M1, and bypasses the slower areas of the A1 (used as an A1 diversion).
So there is only one expressway/motorway north towards Tyneside. The map in Chapter 4 was mentioned to be a "rough stab", I didn't intend for it to be absolutely definite, just as a rough outline. :)

Can't see it being electrified further east than Middlesbrough either,
Agreed - there is no case for that - UNLESS the whole Tees Valley line is done (which it wont be).
The Middlesbrough-Darlington would be majority in County Durham, and Yorkshire isn't going to want to spend money on projects outside Yorkshire (nor would it probably be allowed under some kind of jurisdictional rules).
It is joint Yorkshire/ North east investment - Northumbria rail! ;-)
It is a sensible fill in scheme if the ECML and the Middlesbrough route are wired as it removes an island of diesel operation and allows for more operational flexibility for passengers and freight. I can see this electrification becoming a touch stone for NE devolution: Yorkshire get nice "new" electric trains and we get bus trains!
Re Darlington to Middlesbrough.
  • For what it's worth it's exactly 15 miles from Darlington Bank Top Station to Middlesbrough station. The first 29 chains was electrified in 1991 as part of the OTL ECML scheme.
  • The last 6 miles 22 chains from Eaglescliffe South Juntion to Middlesbrough would be electrified as part of the Northallerton to Middlesbrough to scheme.
  • That would reduce the length of line that needed to be electrified from 15 miles to 8 miles 29 chains or in plain English 8½ miles.
The Yorkshire Provincial Government may not want to do it, but the Central Government body responsible for the railway infrastructure ITTL would be very interested in doing it because someone else has effectively paid 56% of its cost.

Re Middlesbrough to Saltburn

It's 12 miles 57 chains from Middlesbrough Station to Saltburn station and I for one (in my capacity as the self-elected representative for Stokesley North) would have been lobbying for it. I'd be arguing that the industry along the line strengthened the argument for electrification rather than weakened it. Another argument in favour would be that the freightliner terminal in what I still call ICI Wilton could be worked by electric traction.

Believe it or not, more than a few people from the West Yorkshire visit Redcar, Marske-by-Sea and Saltburn during the summer. I know this because they told me after asking where the car parks were. So I'd be enlisting the support of their elected representatives in my campaign to have Middlesbrough to Saltburn electrified. That's so they could travel from Leeds to Saltburn by electric train instead of having to change to a DMU for the Middlesbrough to Saltburn section.

Darlington to Bishop Auckland

Darlington Bank Top Station to Bishop Auckland is 12 miles one chain and the route only uses 26 chains of the already electrified ECML. However, the whole route from Bishop Auckland to Saltburn is 39 miles 58 chains long and 71% of that route would have been electrified once Darlingto to Satlburn was completed and the Central Government responsible body for the British railway infrastructure ITTL would be very interested in doing it because 71% of the cost had already been paid.

Removing an Island of Diesel Operation

There would still be an "island of diesel operation" even if the whole Bishop Auckland to Saltburn line was electrified. There's the line from Saltburn West Junction to the Boulby Potash mine (which also serves the steel works at Skinningrove) and the Esk Valley Line from Guisborough Junction (on the Middlesbrough to Saltburn line) to Whitby.

Last edited: