TL: The UK Overseas Regions

Aden: Nope, Arab nationalism in 1955 was already swinging unless it's a dependency type of territory... of which the boots on ground actually exacerbated anti-colonial feeling in the region.
Guyana: see my points above
T&T: Depends on the fate of the WIF post its dissolution.
Belize: Plausible
Sri Lanka (or probably still Ceylon in this TL) : Very hard for a dependency status since it already achieved self-rule in 1948, impossible for integration.
Point about Aden and Sri Lanka was a pipe dream of mine, though I had hoped Guyana would be a possibility. Though glad that T&T and Belize are relatively plausable

Damn forgot to add these to the list but what about Bermuda for integration? Also what other places could go on the list that could be integrated?

Last edited:
A PoD for Hong Kong could be if it's integrated into the UK fully, the British government could seek to also integrate the New Territories as well either by coming to an agreement with the Chinese government or unilaterally while China isn't in a position to challenge it and is still firmly in the communist camp.
Hong Kong is too populated to be integrated into the UK

Damn forgot to add these to the list but what about Bermuda for integration? Also what other places could go on the list?
There are quite a few options, really it depends on how much Britain weighs any benefits of integration against the increased administration costs and political/demographic shifts, along with local willingness to remain in the UK. (And if promised representation in Westminster along with aid to improve their standard of living up to First World Status, I imagine many will take the option.) Plenty of colonies have populations over 30,000 which I would say is bare minimum.

In the Caribbean Belize, Guyana, The Bahamas, The British Virgin Islands, and much of the former West Indies Federation could be admitted. The two largest members, Jamaica and Trinidad, are large enough to survive as independent states and probably wouldn't rejoin the UK. And many of these regions, even the smaller ones, already had active and powerful independence movements.

I'm hesitant to say whether or not integration is feasible for Britain's remaining pacific islands (The most notable being Fiji, The Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and Vanuatu) The distances involved are vast, even in the time of jetliners. Britain doesn't get much material use out of the islands as they do the Seychelles, and for the islands themselves partnering with the US and Australia seems like a better deal than sticking with the UK.

Hong Kong's integration is a non starter. It's all the excuse the PLA needs to occupy the concession by force. NATO doesn't apply to non North Atlantic possessions so Britain would be on it's own, and even with technical superiority they couldn't hold the city forever.

Outside of maybe Brunei, the rest of the empire is too large, nationalistic, and economically independent too be integrated. And the territories that aren't are simply too small to justify the cost of full integration. A compromise here could be 1-5ish MPs representing multiple outlying territories at once, though such a move would be controversial.

Last edited:

Nick P

Donor
It's probably too late for Barbados as their independence movement is already on the roll.

South Atlantic: I doubt there are enough people from Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, St Helena, Falklands, Sandwich Islands et al to make up one half-decent constituency. The sheer logistics of administering such a massive area make it very unlikely.

Was there any movement for integration of this type before the OP’s POD? If so, how many of the suggested territories could become more feasibly integrated?

I wonder how such a movement for direct UK integration might work with (or undermine) any ATL efforts at a much more meaningful EU/NATO style British Commonwealth Federation type set up.

Was there any movement for integration of this type before the OP’s POD? If so, how many of the suggested territories could become more feasibly integrated?

I wonder how such a movement for direct UK integration might work with (or undermine) any ATL efforts at a much more meaningful EU/NATO style British Commonwealth Federation type set up.
There was in Malta. Success with the referendum on integration would embolden other movements.

Devvy

Donor

As @Analytical Engine said, in OTL Malta was the test case. Referendum passed (circa 75% approval on referendum, circa 45% approval from entire electorate including voters-who-didn't-vote). And then events over took it, including Royal Navy downsizing, Suez Crisis bringing down UK's image and economy, and allowing the Treasury concerns to come to the top.

If Malta passes, a precedent is set, no matter how much some say it's a unique case. The British "constitution" is nothing if not flexible.

Part 3

Devvy

Donor
The Callaghan Premiership (Labour, 1971-1977, won 1974)

1632481336843.png

The former West Indies Federal Cabinet.

The Callaghan Premiership is notable for managing several important constitutional reforms, many of which survive today. There was the introduction of "British Law", ie. law of a national basis affecting the full union of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Overseas Regions - and the remaining Empire overseas, as opposed to "English Law" which would continue to be used for matters specifically pertaining to English & Welsh affairs (similar to Scots Law for Scotland and Irish Law for Northern Ireland). He would also see the suspension of the Parliament of Northern Ireland, and introduction of direct rule (later replaced by the Northern Irish Assembly). Callaghan was also the Prime Minister to give the country the formal name it currently has: United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland & Overseas Regions".

The introduction of Malta, Gibraltar and the Seychelles, as well as the presence of Northern Ireland all with devolved administrations (even though suspended in the case of Northern Ireland) emboldened nationalists in Scotland and Wales, and a Royal Commission on the Constitution - later known as the Devolution Commission - was created to explore devolution within Great Britain itself. It reported back in 1975 however, advocating further devolution, predominately to Scotland, Wales and the English regions. Discussions continued over the role of the United Kingdom "East of Suez" indicated a reduction in the British role and presence in the Indian and Pacific oceans, but the situation improved when the Trucial States in the Persian Gulf agreed to opt-in to "dependency status", with the UK continuing to provide primarily defence and foreign relations in return for funding from the states, and basing rights there, although the principal British base in the area would remain at Masirah Island (Oman). This also conveniently provided justification for the Royal Navy presence in Malta and the Seychelles on the route to East-of-Suez (thereby justifying the indirect economic subsidies from the armed forces), smoothing some debates over large workforce employed in the naval dockyards and related industries. An agreement with Malaysia, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand led to a shrinking of UK forces in the Indo-Pacific region, but the core joint RN-RAF base at Singapore was saved. The path ahead was clear though; more and more British colonies were becoming independent; Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago had done so in the late 1960s, Callaghan would grant independence to South Yemen, Botswana and Mauritius, and as such the British global role was shrinking... but not dead yet by any means. Retaining Singapore as a base was seen in addition as diplomatically necessary to avoid irritating the Americans and damaging a gently recovering "Special Relationship", whilst the US was embroiled in the midst of the Vietnam War, but the eastern half of the British Cypriot bases (Dhekelia) was to be handed back to Cypriot authorities with Britain only retaining the western base (Akrotiri), as part of British cost-saving efforts. Classified until later years, it also turned out that the US would part-fund the Akrotiri base in order to use an over-the-horizon radar to monitor Soviet air movements.

The collapse of the West Indies Federation in 1965 was the sad finale of the WIF. Jamaica had left in 1962 prior to attempted unification of some economical aspects, whilst Trinidad & Tobago had then left in 1964. The remaining 8 islands, then attempted to continue with British backing, but 1965 saw the final nail in the coffin; the remaining islands then became the "West Indies Associated States", under the United Kingdom once more. The successful application of the Seychelles, and later integration of that nation in to the United Kingdom, provided a new idea for many of those West Indies Associated States. Almost all were poor, with few natural resources - the few with resources had left (Jamaica with aluminium oxide & bauxite, Trinidad & Tobago with oil & gas), and following the success of the Seychelles, Barbados applied to join the United Kingdom in 1972, and like dominoes, most of the British territories in the Lesser Antilles applied. Notable exceptions to this included the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands - all saw their future in closer integration with North America. This was a combined population of approximately 700,000 people, and would almost triple the overseas population (Malta, Gibraltar, Seychelles), with little gain for the United Kingdom. The first three had clear foreign policy and defence advantages for their integration, and had a population of roughly 400,000 (320k Malta, 50k Seychelles, 30k Gibraltar). The UK saw this as an identity issue writ large; the small populations in Malta, Gibraltar and Seychelles were also largely white, and didn't particularly upset the UK demographics or balance of power in Parliament. Adding circa 700,000 people in the Caribbean would add a sizeable "Black British" demographic, and potentially add around 10 MPs to Parliament.

Critics derided the United Kingdom, especially in the United States where many labelled it as "a new era of colonialism", or some openly advocated for the United States to block it under the "Monroe Doctrine". Pro-integration voices shot back "who are you to decry democracy because you don't like the answer?", and pointed to the Caribbean-initiated discussion. Either way, it jointly split opinion in the United Kingdom and the United States, and the US wasn't going to send forces in to the Caribbean to oppose it's closest ally in world politics just after fighting in Vietnam. The election of 1974 would decide it; the tiny Liberal party backed Caribbean integration, the Conservatives opposed it "on economic and financial grounds" officially, and Labour were either split or gently supported it with reservations depending on which viewpoint you went by. The election got distasteful, with the some local Tory groups warning against a wave of Caribbean migration if Callaghan won and let the territories in, using outright racist phrases in some cases such as Smethwick (*1), and some commenting on a "river of blood from this nation" should it occur.

Despite the sagging economy, and exhaustion after 11 years of Labour rule, the Conservative party led by Heath still couldn't quite get over the line, leaving Labour the largest party - but not a majority. The Liberal party now held a dozen seats, absorbing disillusioned Labour voters. It was the first election with constituencies in Gibraltar and the Seychelles returning MPs; Gibraltar leaning firmly right for a Conservative-backing MP due to Spanish concerns. Capitalising on their "kingmaker" status, the Liberals kept Callaghan in power with a minority government - but with some key demands. One was a referendum on devolution for Scotland, based on the Ulster model (later named the Maltese Model), which duly passed in 1977, heralding the Scottish Assembly and Government as one of the last acts of the Callaghan Premiership. But the election, and quasi-victory for Callaghan (and duly backed by the Liberals), opened the door for the Caribbean territories, whilst also balancing Callaghan's 1975 Immigration Act (*2) which would substantially reduce the right-of-abode for non-UK born citizens (ie. from the colonies). By admitting the substantially black-populated Caribbean territories to the United Kingdom, even over the reservations of the Treasury, Callaghan could deflect from political accusations of direct racism with the immigration reforms, by pointing to Caribbean and their future rights to live and work in Great Britain itself. The integration process itself would be longer then previous overseas regions, with a 12 year integration plan, to slowly bring the Caribbean islands to UK standards, whilst the islands would receive 12 Members of Parliament following the work of the English Boundary Commission, given the disparities of island population, with Anguilla, St Kitts, Nevis and Montserrat all having to be merged in to a single Westminster constituency. For local government reasons, the islands would form a single Caribbean region within the United Kingdom, centred in Barbados, but with strong decentralisation to the individual islands to try and avoid the kind of political infighting seen previous in the West Indies Federation.

The escalating crisis in Northern Ireland saw the introduction of the British Army to the "province" to establish law and order. Wisely, the choice was to send over a number of the Maltese in the British Army, to work hand in hand with English/Welsh/Scottish troops on the street due to the largely Catholic Maltese soldiers. The Maltese soldiers undermined the Provisional IRA's message as "defenders of the Catholic community", and were rapidly used operationally in Catholic & nationalist areas. Peace was difficult to come by however, and despite talks held by the Northern Irish secretary, little of substance was agreed in the face of significant Republican-Unionist division of views. With Scottish devolution and Caribbean integration agreed, and governing with only Liberal support becoming increasingly difficult, Callaghan called for elections in 1977 - and promptly lost.

-----------------------
(*1) We all know which election slogans, but I can't bring myself to repeat those words even in an act of fiction here. They can stay in the past where they belong.
(*2) Due to the East African Federation (mentioned in passing in earlier chapters) succeeding as Britain retreats a bit more slowly from Africa as no Suez, it also means that the expulsion of the Asians from Uganda hasn't happened here. So by 1974 and the UK deciding whether to agree to integration with the Caribbean, it hasn't already accepted tens of thousands of Ugandan Asians which makes it a little more open.

I've debated this chapter significantly, as the Caribbean islands are a significant addition to the United Kingdom and it's rather difficult to assess Government/PM attitudes to integration when this principle didn't exist in OTL post-1958. Callaghan is a bit of a dark horse as far as I can find, with both good and bad points with regards to this kind of move. Given this TL addition of Malta, Gibraltar and Seychelles, it's difficult to project GB opinions on Caribbean integration. I've let it push through here, although tried to note the unease this would have in several areas of GB society. I think the Treasury would in pretty clear terms object, given the likely expense. But from a UK point of view, it solves the quandry about how to handle the West Indies with the federation falling apart, and would be an notable holiday spot for Brits and other nationals. And for the purposes of a story / thought experiment.... :)

Notable exceptions to this included the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands - all saw their future in closer integration with North America.

Bermuda is too small, and Bahamas is indeed close to the American mainland.

But BVI and T&C remained "British overseas territories" right down to the present. They are closer to North America than the Lesser Antilles, but so much as to compensate for the lack of the independence option?

The first three make sense but I think the Caribbean Islands are a stretch too far, both from an immigration policy perspective and an economic policy one. They are going to be a complete blackhole financially.

Devvy

Donor
Bermuda is too small, and Bahamas is indeed close to the American mainland.

But BVI and T&C remained "British overseas territories" right down to the present. They are closer to North America than the Lesser Antilles, but so much as to compensate for the lack of the independence option?

I based that off: https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/history-of-politics/4250/

"Historically “West Indian” nations The Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, the British Virgin Islands, and Guyana opted not to join because they believed that their future lay with becoming North American, rather than becoming part of a newly formed collection of islands we now call the Caribbean."

I should have been more clear in Ch.3 about those islands not seeking political integration with the US / North America, but closer economic links.

The first three make sense but I think the Caribbean Islands are a stretch too far, both from an immigration policy perspective and an economic policy one. They are going to be a complete blackhole financially.

For what it's worth, I think a UK with Gib, Malta and Seychelles would by and large be roughly OTL, with the sole exception that the UK has an interest in actually forcing Spain's hand over Gib, and there's no Diego Garcia because of a base at the Seychelles. But hardly anything's going to change.

I think the Caribbean is a stretch, and about as far as you can get for UK integration, at least for the next 20-30 years as the UK digests them. FWIW, they will look like a cash black hole for the first 10 years or so, but I think longer term, they have the opportunity to break even at least given the development of the tourist industry in the second half of the 20th century in part and other economic diversification.

And to be blunt, I wanted to bring the Caribbean in to add some interest. Having 12-15 MPs from overseas regions is enough to swing semi-close votes, and bring the UK with a much wider view then OTL post-1956.

Humm Crib islands could be useful as tax havens and I know around this time a lot of shipping and cruise companies start using the drydocks in the Bahamas because its cheap. Though aside from some limited agriculture and a big side in tourism which will probably draw people away from Spain since you don’t really need a passport since the integrated island count as UK territory.

Shame the UK couldn’t get Jamaica and Belize though, or some of the African territories (but they aren’t likely in the least).

Devvy

Donor
IMO, Canada is more likely to get the Caribbean Islands, as shown in @TheMann's Go North TL, than Britain, but this is interesting...

Humm Crib islands could be useful as tax havens and I know around this time a lot of shipping and cruise companies start using the drydocks in the Bahamas because its cheap. Though aside from some limited agriculture and a big side in tourism which will probably draw people away from Spain since you don’t really need a passport since the integrated island count as UK territory.

Shame the UK couldn’t get Jamaica and Belize though, or some of the African territories (but they aren’t likely in the least).

I kinda feel that if the WIF had worked out, it might have joined as a province. The WIF fell apart though (though a bit slower then OTL), and so the islands reverted back to the UK by default. Also, by the mid 1970s, I think the Canadian constitutional talks are beginning, so I'm not sure whether an extra province to Canada is realistic at this point. The Caribbean islands have rather ended up in the UK by default; the WIF fell apart, and the precedent of existing territories integrating in. Considering how many of those islands are either still overseas territories or still retain QEII, it can't be an impossible stretch. But that'll be the last stretch for the moment.

Sadly Jamaica is far too big to swallow, and Belize is unlikely to be welcomed in to the UK given the territorial dispute.

I really hope that you give us some insight to how the British armed forces look in this timeline, since you already mentioned that the Royal navy would probably in a better shape in this timeline than what happen to it in our world

Integrating the Carribean islands will be costly but the UK here can also learn from France in terms of what not to do in terms of integration. Namely, don't have social benefits set to be at the same level of the metropole, do invest significantly in upskilling the local population, do bring-in tax breaks to develop local industry and agriculture. In short don't make the territories over-dependent on financial transfers.

@Devvy a really interesting timeline and concept so far, I personally wish that something like this had been attempted by the UK as it would have helped preserving some key bases overseas and provided more opportunities down the line.
On a transport standpoint, we can expect some small butterflies. There may be more direct flights between all of the islands and London, likely subsidised under PSO arrangements. This could mean that TTL one may be able to fly directly from London to the Falklands Islands eventually.

Integrating the Carribean islands will be costly but the UK here can also learn from France in terms of what not to do in terms of integration. Namely, don't have social benefits set to be at the same level of the metropole, do invest significantly in upskilling the local population, do bring-in tax breaks to develop local industry and agriculture. In short don't make the territories over-dependent on financial transfers.
I imagine that the cruise lines and holiday companies will have a field day as well for the Caribbean Islands that the UK integrated you will probably see major investment from them in the islands which will help build them up to a degree as well. Also some of the islands do some decent areas to drydock ships which both help the RN and also merchant companies since you can offer cheaper drydock berthings to various companies.

I imagine that the cruise lines and holiday companies will have a field day as well for the Caribbean Islands that the UK integrated you will probably see major investment from them in the islands which will help build them up to a degree as well. Also some of the islands do some decent areas to drydock ships which both help the RN and also merchant companies since you can offer cheaper drydock berthings to various companies.
Don’t forget the oil that Barbados hold, it’s going to be funny if the Caribbean nation that didn’t join the UK during this time would decide in the future that they wanted to join the UK

Devvy

Donor
I really hope that you give us some insight to how the British armed forces look in this timeline, since you already mentioned that the Royal navy would probably in a better shape in this timeline than what happen to it in our world

Yes I have this planned, but equally military affairs are not a strong point of mine, so bear with me :)

@Devvy a really interesting timeline and concept so far, I personally wish that something like this had been attempted by the UK as it would have helped preserving some key bases overseas and provided more opportunities down the line.
On a transport standpoint, we can expect some small butterflies. There may be more direct flights between all of the islands and London, likely subsidised under PSO arrangements. This could mean that TTL one may be able to fly directly from London to the Falklands Islands eventually.

Thank you! ;) Any chance of the Sword of Freedom rearing it's head again one day?

As for the West Indies, I can see a lot of ways for them to integrate; as you say, air links between London and the islands will be stronger, at least to a hub airport at Barbados (being the largest island) and smaller connecting flights on to the smaller islands.

100% agree!

Cyprus would be interesting if it was integrated into the UK.

Cyprus was gone in 1960, and I can't see butterflies managing to change that given the violence in the 1950s which led to it. However, as mentioned above, whilst Dhekelia is handed back (the UK purportedly wanted to close the Cypriot bases for cost savings), Akrotiri stays open as a RAF base in the area and spy station as noted (similar to OTL is seems).

Don’t forget the oil that Barbados hold, it’s going to be funny if the Caribbean nation that didn’t join the UK during this time would decide in the future that they wanted to join the UK

Barbados has joined the UK; the West Indies devolved area consists of: Anguilla (separated from St Kitts & Nevis during integration negotiations due to local wishes), Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines; probably all unitary authorities under the West Indies region.