Nickelodeon Arc: Nick's Troubles Just Keep Coming, Coming, Coming, Coming and Coming...........
Now, it seems that the situation surrounding the Nicktoons are starting to clear.

At this point, Jhonen Vasquez has got ALL rights to Invader Zim from Viacom. He will likely start up his own studio or go elsewhere to avoid future problems like this.

Stephen Hillenburg still has to keep the rights to Spongebob with Nick, but now they have NO choice but to end the show. Premieres return in January 2003. An movie is being made to end the series.

Nick was forced to pay Micah Wright and give back the rights to Constant Payne. He is currently planning to shop the show around to other networks. Cartoon Network, Universal Kids and the upcoming Animax channel have all already confirmed interest in the series.

Craig Bartlett hasn't really won anything, but Nick will resume premieres in January. The Patakis will be greenlit by Nick for a 2004 premiere.

Mitch Schauer also hasn't won anything, especially since The Angry Beavers has already ended it's run.

At this point, Nick is slipping to third place as Cartoon Network takes over and Disney Channel is rapidly growing. Fox Family and Universal Kids is also gaining traction, especially since the former has relaunched back in September, but Nick is still holding on to second place.

However, the preschool shows(which hasn't really been nearly as affected as the 6-11/9-14 Nicktoons) as well as the SLAM! block, which is airing Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters, Rocket Power, The Mummy, Nickelodeon Robot Wars, Scaredy Camp as well as Nick's new big Nicktoon:

Jimmy Neutron | Jimmy Neutron Wiki | Fandom

Due to Nick's troubles, SLAM! hasn't really aired anything much new this year other than reruns of Invader Zim and Butt Ugly Martians.

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! has become what many consider "Nick's Golden Boy", up there with the likes of Spongebob. Jimmy Neutron is also rapidly becoming a major hit.

Yami Yugi Character Profile : Official Yu-Gi-Oh! Site

But just when Nick's troubles seem to be ending, more troubles are popping up, and this time, they might ACTUALLY do long-term damage to the network...............

First, SNICK's shows are all dying and being canceled or being hit with ratings decline. Many call this "The SNICK Purge of 2002".

There has been reports and rumors of several sexual harassment/assault and/or abuse occuring against several of the actresses which star in their various shows......

I knew that Dan guy gave off some weird vibes.............

And Taina star Christina Vidal has also had disagreements with Nickelodeon executives due to her being signed on MCA Records, which is owned by Universal, which means that the dismay would only get worse due to Nick executives' fears of them stealing one of their stars for their fledgling Universal Kids network. Other factors for that show's cancelation was rumored to be because it was too expensive to produce, it was only watched by girls(boys also watched) and because most shows were generally getting their assess handed to them by the smash hit Yu-Gi-Oh!, which despite only being in second place amongst the kid/animation networks, is even giving Dragon Ball Z and new show Yu Yu Hakusho a HUGE run for their money.

Taina (TV Series 2001–2002) - IMDb

Taina, ©Viacom International Inc.

Whatever it is, Nickelodeon BETTER be very careful.............​

Last edited:

kirbopher15

Kicked
Now, it seems that the situation surrounding the Nicktoons are starting to clear.

At this point, Jhonen Vasquez has got ALL rights to Invader Zim from Viacom. He will likely start up his own studio or go elsewhere to avoid future problems like this.

Stephen Hillenburg still has to keep the rights to Spongebob with Nick, but now they have NO choice but to end the show. Premieres return in January 2003. An movie is being made to end the series.

Nick was forced to pay Micah Wright and give back the rights to Constant Payne. He is currently planning to shop the show around to other networks. Cartoon Network, Universal Kids and the upcoming Animax channel have all already confirmed interest in the series.

Craig Bartlett hasn't really won anything, but Nick will resume premieres in January. The Patakis will be greenlit by Nick for a 2004 premiere.

Mitch Schauer also hasn't won anything, especially since The Angry Beavers has already ended it's run.

At this point, Nick is slipping to third place as Cartoon Network takes over and Disney Channel is rapidly growing. Fox Family and Universal Kids is also gaining traction, especially since the former has relaunched back in September, but Nick is still holding on to second place.

However, the preschool shows(which hasn't really been nearly as affected as the 6-11/9-14 Nicktoons) as well as the SLAM! block, which is airing Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters, Rocket Power, The Mummy, Nickelodeon Robot Wars, Scaredy Camp as well as Nick's new big Nicktoon:

View attachment 830278

Due to Nick's troubles, SLAM! hasn't really aired anything much new this year other than reruns of Invader Zim and Butt Ugly Martians.

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! has become what many consider "Nick's Golden Boy", up there with the likes of Spongebob. Jimmy Neutron is also rapidly becoming a major hit.

View attachment 830280

But just when Nick's troubles seem to be ending, more troubles are popping up, and this time, they might ACTUALLY do long-term damage to the network...............

First, SNICK's shows are all dying and being canceled or being hit with ratings decline. Many call this "The SNICK Purge of 2002".

There has been reports and rumors of several sexual harassment/assault and/or abuse occuring against several of the actresses which star in their various shows......

And Taina star Christina Vidal has also had disagreements with Nickelodeon executives due to her being signed on MCA Records, which is owned by Universal, which means that the dismay would only get worse due to Nick executives' fears of them stealing one of their stars for their fledgling Universal Kids network. Other factors for that show's cancelation was rumored to be because it was too expensive to produce, it was only watched by girls(boys also watched) and because most shows were generally getting their assess handed to them by the smash hit Yu-Gi-Oh!, which despite only being in second place amongst the kid/animation networks, is even giving Dragon Ball Z and new show Yu Yu Hakusho a HUGE run for their money.

View attachment 830298

(Nickelodeon animation employees) Best start finding new jobs then

So, to summarize:

-Spongebob has to end in 2004.
-Invader Zim and Constant Payne are given back to their creators.
-Hey Arnold! becomes one of Nick's biggest cartoons again, as shown by the Patakis spinoff.
-Nickelodeon may become the fifth-place loser at its worst.
-Nick Jr. and SLAM! are saving the channel from shutting down.
-Nick still has a partnership with Klasky-Csupo, surprisingly enough.
-Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters and Jimmy Neutron are the anchors of SLAM!. Yu-Gi-Oh! in particular may very well be Nick's top dog by 2010.
-SNICK purges most of their lineup, especially after Dan's skeletons in the water closet start knocking the door down.
-Universal Kids may steal some of Nick's sitcom talent away, thus giving Miranda Cosgrove a career somewhere else.

Basically, I'm not holding my breath for a recovery.

View attachment 830278

View attachment 830280

View attachment 830298

It's possible that by the 2010s, we could be talking about Nickelodeon in the past tense.

(Nickelodeon animation employees) Best start finding new jobs then
Yep. Especially for the incoming animation renaissance.

Hey, and the live-action actors/actresses can find a new network or two to go work for with less bullshit......
So, to summarize:
Yep.
-Spongebob has to end in 2004.
Yes, then Hillenburg will decide whether to take the rights to the property themselves or keep it, but it'd probably eventually get a shitty reboot and he never works for the network again...............

WWHD?
-Invader Zim and Constant Payne are given back to their creators.
Yes indeed.

Oh, and the competition's respective reactions to these developments(as well as a look at Fox Family's relaunch) are the next few posts, along with the Asobu game Verkunpfung.
-Hey Arnold! becomes one of Nick's biggest cartoons again, as shown by the Patakis spinoff.
Not really as the whole Patakis thing was done more out of fear of losing more talent.................

Arnold still ends, and Patakis probably won't last long........
-Nickelodeon may become the fifth-place loser at its worst.
Exactly, maybe even sixth once someone else enters the kidvid field..........
-Nick Jr. and SLAM! are saving the channel from shutting down.
Yeah, and Nick at Nite.
-Nick still has a partnership with Klasky-Csupo, surprisingly enough.
Actually, I forgot about that..................

Make that partnership DONE!
-Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duel Monsters and Jimmy Neutron are the anchors of SLAM!. Yu-Gi-Oh! in particular may very well be Nick's top dog by 2010.
Exactly.
-SNICK purges most of their lineup,
Yeah, and this is where I really got the term from:
Oh, and yeah, since that certain midseason phenomenon will likely be on another network, TEENick DOES get discotinued, not only because of tanking ratings, but because of eventual new president [UNAVAILABLE'S] plans to turn the network's fate around.
especially after Dan's skeletons in the water closet start knocking the door down.
Exactly.....And once Jim gets a whiff of it, it's all downhill from here......
-Universal Kids may steal some of Nick's sitcom talent away, thus giving Miranda Cosgrove a career somewhere else.
Right.
Basically, I'm not holding my breath for a recovery.
But it is possible give or take another year or two.
It's possible that by the 2010s, we could be talking about Nickelodeon in the past tense.
Right, but for now, it's not really going nowhere............

Viacom as a whole however....................
I was thinking the same thing. The same way channels like PAX or The WB, but on a grander scale.
Right.

Yes, then Hillenburg will decide whether to take the rights to the property themselves or keep it, but it'd probably eventually get a shitty reboot and he never works for the network again...............
Personally, I'd like to see what happens when Stephen Hillenburg gets full rights to use SpongeBob

Hey, and the live-action actors/actresses can find a new network or two to go work for with less bullshit......

Yep.

WWHD?

Yes indeed.

Oh, and the competition's respective reactions to these developments(as well as a look at Fox Family's relaunch) are the next few posts, along with the Asobu game Verkunpfung.

Not really as the whole Patakis thing was done more out of fear of losing more talent.................

Yeah, and Nick at Nite.

Exactly.

Oh, and yeah, since that certain midseason phenomenon will likely be on another network, TEENick DOES get discotinued, not only because of tanking ratings, but because of eventual new president [UNAVAILABLE'S] plans to turn the network's fate around.

Right.

Right.
Hello?

Both are good turnarounds.

WWHD?
A tough choice, indeed.
I expect frequent and thorough mockery.
Welp, that's another point in the worse.
Make that two points in the worse.
Yeesh.
Yeah, and Nick at Nite.
Preschool cartoons, action imports, and old reruns are saving the channel. Meanwhile, the actual Nickelodeon content is drying up quick.

If Noggin and TV Land become the focal points of those demographics from MTV Networks, or if SLAM! gets a full channel, say goodbye to Nick as we knew it.

Good grief.
Oh, great...
At this point, I'll take anything to turn Nick into a better channel, since all the good Nicktoons are dead or dying without being on the SLAM! block, and their sitcom golden age is all but shot.
If you are referring to Jim Samples, then I completely agree that it's all downhill. I'd even argue it's going downhill already.
One may hope.

I'll take it.

Both are good turnarounds.
Right. I am also thinking of turning the 2009 swine flu thingy into a semi-epidemic/pandemic that is somewhat quickly taken care of......

Just to stop COVID and it's resulting causalties around the ENTIRE entertainment field DEAD in it's track.......
A tough choice, indeed.
Yes.
Personally, I'd like to see what happens when Stephen Hillenburg gets full rights to use SpongeBob
IF he does, then he might take him and the Bikini Bottom fellers to another network. This could perhaps send Cartoon Network into a PERMAMENT first place.

And no, if it does happen, everything will NOT be screwed over in it's path(I'm trying to keep Toonami alive as long as possible)!
I expect frequent and thorough mockery.
Yep. And then some........

Got any ideas?
Welp, that's another point in the worse.

Make that two points in the worse.
Yep. But The Patakis will at least have the justification of being a mini-series, so yeah.
Yeesh.

Preschool cartoons, action imports, and old reruns are saving the channel. Meanwhile, the actual Nickelodeon content is drying up quick.
Yep.
If Noggin and TV Land become the focal points of those demographics from MTV Networks, or if SLAM! gets a full channel, say goodbye to Nick as we knew it.
Don't get TOO pessemistic now........
Good grief.

Oh, great...

At this point, I'll take anything to turn Nick into a better channel, since all the good Nicktoons are dead or dying without being on the SLAM! block, and their sitcom golden age is all but shot.

If you are referring to Jim Samples, then I completely agree that it's all downhill. I'd even argue it's going downhill already.

One may hope.

I'll take it.
Exactly. And yes, it's Jim Samples.

Right. I am also thinking of turning the 2009 swine flu thingy into a semi-epidemic/pandemic that is somewhat quickly taken care of......

Just to stop COVID and it's resulting causalties around the ENTIRE entertainment field DEAD in it's track.......
I'd like that.
IF he does, then he might take him and the Bikini Bottom fellers to another network. This could perhaps send Cartoon Network into a PERMAMENT first place.
I agree, giving the Sponge to CN would definitely strike a shift in the balance.
And no, if it does happen, everything will NOT be screwed over in it's path(I'm trying to keep Toonami alive as long as possible)!
Thank goodness.
Yep. And then some........

Got any ideas?
This would be where your style of writing would come in handy, as everyone would pity Nickelodeon after this.
Yep. But The Patakis will at least have the justification of being a mini-series, so yeah.
Fair enough.
Don't get TOO pessemistic now........
Okay.
Exactly. And yes, it's Jim Samples.
Understandable.

Basically a less harmful and smaller in scope version of the COVID-19 pandemic?

Meanwhile, at Sega..............
SONY CONFIRMS PLAYSTATION ADAPTATION RUMORS
Unknown gaming magazine

Yep. It's been confirmed. Sony has confirmed rumors that there are SOME PlayStation games getting adaptations as it was announced today. These will take the forms of films, television shows and animated adaptations.

However, we have come to conclusions that this may be a result of the recent partnership signed between Comcast, Sony and Liberty Media, and it's more than likely that any adaptation will air on either the upcoming SET entertainment, G4 gaming or Animax animation channels launching later this year.

Regardless, this should mark the new beginning of an new age of gaming adaptations.

MEANWHILE, AT SEGA & MICROSOFT:

Sega Exec:
Ok...........Check! This "Sonic Anime" is good. Let's have it rolled out for 2003!

Microsoft Exec:
Great! Should we do adaptations of our other properties because suddenly Sony seems to be so gung-ho on making them. But only problem, we don't have any animatio.........

Sega Exec:
Worry not! We have TMS Entertainment! We got Detective Conan, Lupin the Third, Monster Rancher, Magic Knight Rayearth, Hamtaro(which is coming to Disney Channel this fall), Anpanman and even FRICKING AKIRA!

Hell, I think we should start our own anime dubbing unit! Expand into entertainment a bit, how about it?

Bill Gates:
View attachment 820874
You know, that's a great idea! I'll consider it!​
hideki sato sega from segaretro.org
Tetsu Kayama - Sega Retro
Bill Gates - Wikipedia

Hideki Sato, Tetsu Kamaya and Bill Gates:

"So, how is the Sonic anime coming along?"

:
Square Enix hires Sonic mastermind Yuji Naka - Polygon

Yuji Naka:

"It's actually coming along quite nice, although we did figure out that we did want to adapt Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Battle, and if it turns out good, Sonic Heroes."

Bill Gates:

"Nice. Now, we're trying to figure out who should we give the dubbing rights to........Starboard's been doing a good job with Yu-Gi-Oh! and Goemon and they have that Bomberman anime coming next year, but considering what's happening with their main partner, I'm not sure. ADV seems like a good choice considering they did dub that Sonic movie, Funimation and Viz probably wouldn't want it, Bandai could make work, Pioneer's a terrible choice, so......."

Peter Moore - Sega Retro

Peter Moore:

"Maybe we could dub it ourselves? There's plenty of studios around, so I don't see why we can't enter the anime business ourselves, besides, Bandai's making money off of it, so why not?"

Bill Gates:

"You know, that's a good idea! You also want to know what's a good idea? Anime based off our other properties? We could do something with NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Super Monkey Ball, even our new game with that cat coming out next year..............And besides, since Virtua Fighter started airing on TV here in the States, Virtua Fighter's popularity has been slowing increasing."

Yuji Naka:

"That's a great idea. You know, and with Virtua Fighter 4 coming out and the anime being reran, now's the PERFECT time to make a new anime. I'll talk with the guys at TMS and see what they think. We might as well buy them out at this point".

Bill Gates:

"You know? Sonic? Blinx? Virtua Fighter? Phantasy Star? NiGHTS? Super Monkey Ball? Get ALL of these in development ASAP! And make Blinx and Super Monkey Ball CG. And make NiGHTS a hybrid."

Naka, Sato and Kamaya:

"Got it".​

View attachment 831071 View attachment 831072View attachment 831076
Hideki Sato, Tetsu Kamaya and Bill Gates:

"So, how is the Sonic anime coming along?"

:View attachment 831077
Yuji Naka:

"It's actually coming along quite nice, although we did figure out that we did want to adapt Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Battle, and if it turns out good, Sonic Heroes."

Bill Gates:

"Nice. Now, we're trying to figure out who should we give the dubbing rights to........Starboard's been doing a good job with Yu-Gi-Oh! and Goemon and they have that Bomberman anime coming next year, but considering what's happening with their main partner, I'm not sure. ADV seems like a good choice considering they did dub that Sonic movie, Funimation and Viz probably wouldn't want it, Bandai could make work, Pioneer's a terrible choice, so......."

View attachment 831079
Peter Moore:

"Maybe we could dub it ourselves? There's plenty of studios around, so I don't see why we can't enter the anime business ourselves, besides, Bandai's making money off of it, so why not?"

Bill Gates:

"You know, that's a good idea! You also want to know what's a good idea? Anime based off our other properties? We could do something with NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Super Monkey Ball, even our new game with that cat coming out next year..............And besides, since Virtua Fighter started airing on TV here in the States, Virtua Fighter's popularity has been slowing increasing."

Yuji Naka:

"That's a great idea. You know, and with Virtua Fighter 4 coming out and the anime being reran, now's the PERFECT time to make a new anime. I'll talk with the guys at TMS and see what they think. We might as well buy them out at this point".

Bill Gates:

"You know? Sonic? Blinx? Virtua Fighter? Phantasy Star? NiGHTS? Super Monkey Ball? Get ALL of these in development ASAP! And make Blinx and Super Monkey Ball CG. And make NiGHTS a hybrid."

Naka, Sato and Kamaya:

"Got it".​
That is a great production cycle already. How about a Space Channel 5 cartoon as well?

Right, but how could we pull that off, especially when there's no new Alex Kidd game and the franchise hasn't been active in like, 10 years at this point ITTL.
How about we adapt the existing games into a cartoon, thus introducing younger gamers to Sega's original console mascot?

Want more proof as to why now is a good time to bring Alex back into the limelight?
Yeah...

How about we adapt the existing games into a cartoon, thus introducing younger gamers to Sega's original console mascot?
You know, that can work, and if it's successful enough, then perhaps we could make a new Alex Kidd game.
Want more proof as to why now is a good time to bring Alex back into the limelight?
Yeah...
I heard of that.