TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

P22 Fighter
TL-191 P22 -- P51-w-Daimler-Benz DB 605A-1 V-12.png

What the P51 Mustang might have looked like in TL-191, no Rolls Royce Merlin engine for the Union in TL-191 so a Daimler Benz 605A engine instead, also the extra long range wouldn't be needed so a sleeker fuselage.
Armament 3x20mm cannons two in wings and one firing thru the propeller hub, two 50 Cal. MG's over engine cowling.

Last edited:

Pangur

Donor
P22 Fighter
View attachment 607682
What the P51 Mustang might have looked like in TL-191, no Rolls Royce Merlin engine for the Union in TL-191 so a Daimler Benz 605A engine instead, also the extra long range wouldn't be needed so a sleeker fuselage.
Armament 3x20mm cannons two in wings and one firing thru the propeller hub, two 50 Cal. MG's over engine cowling.

Pangur

Donor
P22 Fighter
View attachment 607682
That looks good n plausible Well done

Might I recommend having the Union soldiers depicted with fallschirmjäger helmets from OTL. It's established in the books that the CSA switched to coalscuttle helmets and the USA switching to more pottish-looking helmets. I plan on doing a post on this eventually in the Photos thread. The reason I think it this fits well is that said helmet does look pottish but still retains a distinct German character for the Union army. For the CSA, I've thought of using either a Soviet ssh 38 or Italian WWII helmet from OTL.
I am now drawing some Union Army Uniforms in the early part of the Second Great War.

Might I recommend having the Union soldiers depicted with fallschirmjäger helmets from OTL. It's established in the books that the CSA switched to coalscuttle helmets and the USA switching to more pottish-looking helmets. I plan on doing a post on this eventually in the Photos thread. The reason I think it this fits well is that said helmet does look pottish but still retains a distinct German character for the Union army. For the CSA, I've thought of using either a Soviet ssh 38 or Italian WWII helmet from OTL.
It’s generally accepted as a type of fanon that Union soldiers resemble German Wehrmacht soldiers and that CSA soldiers resemble WWII U.S. Soldiers, but I can see there being some slight variation.

Yeah I get the consensus for the threads and using OTL photos for easy convenience sake.
It’s generally accepted as a type of fanon that Union soldiers resemble German Wehrmacht soldiers and that CSA soldiers resemble WWII U.S. Soldiers, but I can see there being some slight variation.

early_second_great_war_union_military_uniforms_by_marlowski_dec3km4-fullview.jpg

Three Early War Union Army uniforms. From left to right, a U.S. Army Private from the 32nd Infantry Division stationed at Fort McCoy in Wisconsin at the time of Operation Blackbeard. The uniform in the middle belonged to a U.S. Army Captain from the 45th Infantry Division which was stationed in Sequoya during Operation Blackbeard in 1941. The soldier on the right is a USMC Sergeant from the 2nd Marine Battalion during the Battle of Bermuda in 1941.

The basic uniform pattern that the US Military fielded when war broke out consisted of the following items:
M1938 Battle Dress Uniform - Which was a modernized variant of the M1910 Uniform of First Great War vintage.
M1910 Web Gear
M1940 Steel Helmet (Similar to the OTL Spanish Model Z Helmet)
M1936 Protective Respirator with carry case
M1922 Marching Boots
M1901/38 Officer's Boots
M1938 Side Cap (not pictured) - Meant to be worn while off-duty.
M1938 Field Cap (as worn by the Marine Sergeant)
M1938 Officer's Field Cap

For this artwork, I have used elements of WWI and WWII American Uniforms as well as stuff of my own imagination and in case of the helmet, a non-German Stahlhelm.

Last edited:
_tl_191__union_military_uniforms_pt__2_by_marlowski_decie5l-fullview.jpg

The man on left is a Corporal of the 5th Infantry Division with a BAR rifle during the Battle of Richmond in 1944, in which his kit includes:

M1943 Battle Dress Uniform
M1910 Web Gear
M1940 Steel Helmet with Camouflage Cover
M1943 Buckle Boots
M1917A2 Browning Automatic Rifle

In the center, is a soldier from the 82nd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion from the 2nd Armored Division during the Battle of Atlanta in 1943. His kit includes:

M1943 Battle Dress Uniform
M1943 Camouflage Smock
M1910 Web Gear
M1940 Steel Helmet
M1922 Marching Boots
M1938 Anti-Chemical Gloves and Hood
M50 Reising Submachine-Gun

On the right, is a cavalryman from the 1st Cavalry Division in Northern Chihuahua, circa June of 1944. His own kit includes:

M1938 Battle Dress Uniform
M1910 Web Gear
"Daisy Mae" HBT Hat
T27 Flak Jacket (By this point in the War, the US Military was field testing these vests among a select number of units, the 1st Cavalry being one of them.)
M1938 Cavalry Breeches and Boots

Last edited:
Where is that established? From all reckoning based on the Great War trilogy it's the UNION that not only adopts but outright designs the Stahlhelm.

Sorry I didn't clarify, but I meant to mention this specifically for GW2 as Marlowski is/was making sketches of soldiers from that era. But yeah, in GW1 the Union has the stahlhelm while the CSA have the Bodie helmets. Researching the history of the former helmet, the Germans began developing it in 1915 and began issuing them the next year. ITTL, I could see them sharing their info with the Yankees and they'd too would be developing alongside but ended up issuing them first based on what you said. There'd probably be room for variation as @VirginiaLiberal and @Allochronian and said and may end up resembling OTL's Type 5 helmet.
Where is that established? From all reckoning based on the Great War trilogy it's the UNION that not only adopts but outright designs the Stahlhelm.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Union Army would possess vehicles like these for their arsenal.
Something similar is functionally a no brainer, everybody had Self propelled artillery in WWII, and given the engineering requirements it is quite likely to look somewhat similar to that. However the Union ITTL won't have as much as the OTL US Army did because they have less industry and need mre of their chassis for Barrels/Barrel Busters and won't have as many to spare