TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

He's more or less admitted that by the time of the later TL 191 books he had multiple daughters in very expensive colleges whose tuition needed to get paid. I haven't read a lot of his newer works but it seems like some of them have gotten better since his daughters left college.
Been a while since I've read some Turtledove "The Man With The Iron Heart" was the last book of his I read, of his latest releases what would you recommend?

Been a while since I've read some Turtledove "The Man With The Iron Heart" was the last book of his I read, of his latest releases what would you recommend?
The Hot War. A refreshing take on World War Three that is, for once, NOT set in the 1980’s.

1604800491869.png

General Irving Morrell at the time of the "March Through Georgia" in late 1943-early 1944, photographed as part of a promotional campaign for War Bonds, highlighted by a new and highly popular song:

If Britain is the Japan analogue, do they have "self defence force" akin to JSDF?
I don't really know where you got that idea? considering Japan is a relevant nation in the game and is arguably s powerful as the UK in the setting, we don't have a Japan analogue, because Japan is still present.

4b024e4b44b739c1f57273f111b6d85e.jpg

I have seen this image of a early Cold War era Norwegian Uniform and it seems to fit the bill for a late SGW/immediate post-war US Army Uniform and kit (at least for me.)

I don't really know where you got that idea? considering Japan is a relevant nation in the game and is arguably s powerful as the UK in the setting, we don't have a Japan analogue, because Japan is still present.
I think he means “other defeated WWII nation and is also an island.”

I think he means “other defeated WWII nation and is also an island.”
I get that, but it still doesn't really apply. England wasn't firebombed and nuked into the stone age the way Japan was, and it still controls overseas territory. And let us not mince words, there was most definitely an element of racism in the pre-and post-war treatment of Japanese militarism, attitudes that would not be present in regards to the UK. As far as the British would be concerned (based on what was revealed in the books) they did nothing wrong except look the other way as regards the Freedomite atrocities. the Atom Bombing of Hamburg can't be called a war crime unless the US and Germany also want to confess to the same, and even as regards the start of the war, the French declared war first and the British simply followed them in.

I could foresee them being forced to surrender whatever portions of the Empire they still hold, reduce the Royal Navy to a regional defense fleet with nothing heavier than a cruiser and no carriers, and officially forswearing any claims to Irish, Canadian and Australia/New Zealand territory, and maybe the Royal Family being reduced to a ceremonial status ala Hirohito, but that's about it.

0nhjRqr0IDYcDQnEkh4s0ue9XXZOJd0aVfJB4bSNjXHkscHiXgzO_drw2UzA27YhWoDGl-lipjbA_B0hGFJ01wHC4f0c-cfMM9kwpqdgTwHUDoiyuB8

A photograph of the Allison V-1740 engine at the Packard Plant in Detriot, circa 1942. The V-1740 was licensed copy of of the German Diamler Benz DB-601 engine and was the standard in-line engine for US Military aircraft during the Second Great War.

Boing P17
Boing P-17.png

The P17 was the last prop-driven fighter adopted by the Union Air Force, heavily armed with three twenty millimeter cannons (1 in the nose and 1 in each wing) and six fifty caliber MG's (2 in the above the engine and 2 in each wing) the P17 also had a top speed of 440 mph.
The P17 was one of the highest performance prop fighters ever designed but it came at the dawn of the jet age and the end of the war.

USAF Fw-190.png

One of two Fw-190A-4 fighters that were sold to the USA from Germany in early 1942 for evaluation, in which each was given to the Air Force and Navy. Many Yankee pilots would end up taking a liking to the German fighter, which the two examples were respectively named "Jenny" and "Heidi." The Union would gather useful data that they collected on the 190 and would use in the development of the Air Force's P-44 and Navy's F-8 fighters. Jenny would end up being put on display at the Museum of the US Air Force in German colors until the early 2000s when it was reverted back into it's USAF paint scheme. Heidi however would end up getting severely damaged while landing Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in May of 1944 and would end up being written off and nothing has was heard from that fighter since then.

View attachment 607653
One of two Fw-190A-4 fighters that were sold to the USA from Germany in early 1942 for evaluation, in which each was given to the Air Force and Navy. Many Yankee pilots would end up taking a liking to the German fighter, which the two examples were respectively named "Jenny" and "Heidi." The Union would gather useful data that they collected on the 190 and would use in the development of the Air Force's P-44 and Navy's F-8 fighters. Jenny would end up being put on display at the Museum of the US Air Force in German colors until the early 2000s when it was reverted back into it's USAF paint scheme. Heidi however would end up getting severely damaged while landing Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in May of 1944 and would end up being written off and nothing has was heard from that fighter since then.
Poor Heidi. :closedtongue:

Pangur

Donor
View attachment 607653
i like this approach. Wonder what have flowed the other way