TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Does the us give up the eagle on crossed swords after the wsr?
I don't think the books say anything about that but IOTL when the US Army Air corps became the US Air Force they switched from their old insignia to a simpler white star emblem and at the beginning of the war the emblem was more elaborate with a white star inside a red ball but that was changed because it was sometimes mistaken for the red meatball on Japanese aircraft so its possible the Union would change their emblem to something simpler as well.

Evolution of US Air Corps & Air Force emblems.
USAAF=000.jpg
USAAF=e765f4e3374ad36c8ac7ee68f424ae7e.jpg

Evolution of US Air Corps & Air Force emblems.
View attachment 597115View attachment 597116
yes in OTL however in Turtledove's TL 191 the US doesn't use the star it uses this
download (1).jpg

the Eagle on Crossed Swords. for its aircraft
This was always one of my favorite parts of 191 as Turtledove actually allowed Butterflies to make a drastic change his butterfly nets are so tight most times changes are so minor its odd.

Last edited:
yes in OTL however in Turtledove's TL 191 the US doesn't use the star it uses this
View attachment 597148
the Eagle on Crossed Swords. for its aircraft
This was always one of my favorite parts of 191 as Turtledove actually allowed Butterflies to make a drastic change his butterfly nets are so tight most times changes are so minor its odd.
Yes but my point is that In time of war I could see the Union using just the shield only and a much simpler version of said shield and after the war it would probably stay simple or get even simpler.
Something like this:
download 2.jpg

Yes but my point is that In time of war I could see the Union using just the shield only and a much simpler version of said shield and after the war it would probably stay simple or get even simpler.
Something like this:
View attachment 597235

I could see that as a post Second Great War evolution but the Eagle on Crossed swords is mentioned as being on the USAAF copy of the German Jet that Jonathan Moss Flies at the end of the last book.

This is true about a lot of things.
Indeed but after giving it some more thought I could see the Union going back to their more elaborate insignia for something new and cutting edge like the first jet fighter.
A lot of German fighter pilots in the last months of the war went back to painting very colorful and fancy paintjobs on their planes similar to the fancy styles of WWI fighters and this was when they were losing!
So I could see Victorious Union pilots going for the cooler looking older emblem.

b-29-superfortress.png

A Boeing B-29 Superfortress of the 313th Bombardment Wing at the end of the Second Great War, circa 1944. The B-29 was one of the most technologically advanced bombers of the Second Great War, in which it was the delivery vehicle for dropping the Superbombs on the Confederate cities of Newport News and Charleston in 1944. The B-29 was also notable being the first heavy bomber to feature a tri-cycle undercarriage, pressurized cabin, and remote controlled gun turrets. Though small numbers of the bomber was used in the Second Great War (mainly for recon missions over the CSA), after the war, the plane would replace the B-17 bomber from USAF service as the primary heavy bomber and the B-29 served in this role until 1953 when it got replaced by the B-47 Turbo Bomber. Afterwards, the B-29 would fulfill a variety of roles from Weather Plane, to airborne tanker, in which the B-29 would soldier on until 1961.

View attachment 597294
A Boeing B-29 Superfortress of the 313th Bombardment Wing at the end of the Second Great War, circa 1944. The B-29 was one of the most technologically advanced bombers of the Second Great War, in which it was the delivery vehicle for dropping the Superbombs on the Confederate cities of Newport News and Charleston in 1944. The B-29 was also notable being the first heavy bomber to feature a tri-cycle undercarriage, pressurized cabin, and remote controlled gun turrets. Though small numbers of the bomber was used in the Second Great War (mainly for recon missions over the CSA), after the war, the plane would replace the B-17 bomber from USAF service as the primary heavy bomber and the B-29 served in this role until 1953 when it got replaced by the B-47 Turbo Bomber. Afterwards, the B-29 would fulfill a variety of roles from Weather Plane, to airborne tanker, in which the B-29 would soldier on until 1961.
Guess that B47 Turbo Bomber is the Stratojet.😎

You would need the B-29 or an analogue to carry the Bomb....the B-32 IRL was NOT capable of carrying either Little Boy or Fat Man.
With the redesigned Bomb Bay a B-24 or s B-32 could easily carry little boy or fat man. A more heavily modified B-17 could also do it but at the cost of combat range and some of its defensive armament.
Depending on when the nuclear weapons became available it might have been faster to modify an existing aircraft design then wait for a B-29 to be ready

NAA F13 Fighter
North American Aeronautics F13 -- Me-109K-8.png

North American Aeronautics F13 fighter, licensed built version of Germany's Messerschmitt Me-99.
The above aircraft was the fighter of Captain H. Bogart squadron leader of the US A.A.C. 109Th. Fighter Squadron on the Texan front shortly after scoring his 27 kill in the spring of 1943.

Last edited:
This is true about a lot of things.

He's more or less admitted that by the time of the later TL 191 books he had multiple daughters in very expensive colleges whose tuition needed to get paid. I haven't read a lot of his newer works but it seems like some of them have gotten better since his daughters left college.