TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

I had thought about the potential mortars of the Union Army in both Great Wars. In OTL, the US Armed Forces would use mostly foreign designs (such as the Brandt and Stokes mortars), although they had their own design, the M2 4.2 inch Mortar. In this world, both the Stokes and Brandt would end up being used by the CSA. So, the Union Armed Forces would most likely end up using German and Austro-Hungarian designs, such as the 8cm Granatwerfer 34 and the OTL Minomet vz 36 (which would be from AH) respectively. Same thing could be said about some of the Union Army's artillery pieces.
m361.JPG

The OTL 8cm Minomet vz 36 from Czechoslovakia, which would be ITTL an Austro-Hungarian mortar.
9c7bb94852121af39e9992c18e3ecf36.jpg

And the German 8cm Granatwerfer 34

Those are just variants of the Brandt Mortar, not new designs

The Brandt Mortar probably doesn't exist in 191 as France is under heavy arms limitation, and if it does can't be exported until '33. So no Granatwerfer 34 or Minomet vz 36. Instead the Germans and the US both probably develop their own improvements on the Stokes mortar themselves, or evolve from the WWI Minenwerfers both sides would have used, though with the superiority of the Stokes they probably choose that

More American Airships and German Zeppelins

iln19130301ppiv-v.jpg

Artist's depiction of American Airships guarded by parasite aircraft, somewhere in Sequoyah en route to Texas, ca. late 1914

PA-1855837.jpg

German air raid crossing the English Channel toward Britain, January 19, 1915

ImageServer.php

German Postcard of an artist's rendition of the Battle of Antwerp on August 25th-26th, 1914

4498-150-dpi-fleet-off-Helgoland.jpg

Imperial Germany Navy and a Zeppelin off the port of Helgoland, 1915

ww1-zep1-1.jpg

American Airship shot down by a Confederate plane somewhere in the Potomac river, 112 kilometers northeast of Richmond

Sources:
1) https://airminded.org/2013/03/01/saturday-1-march-1913/
2) https://flashbak.com/behind-enemy-l...-german-soldiers-fighting-world-war-one-7617/
3) http://www.germanpostalhistory.com/php/viewitem.php?itemid=77040
4) https://germanpostalhistory.com/php/viewitem.php?itemid=32409&germany cover=search&
5) http://www.wwitoday.com/wwiScOrganizationDetail.php?id=57
6) https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-27517166
7) https://harrowonline.org/2016/05/04/leefe-robinson-stanmores-wartime-hero/

Something I did previously: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...federacy-tl-191.185493/page-150#post-17641737

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-549-0743-13A%2C_Tunesien%2C_Soldaten_mit_Pak_38.jpg

I'd imagine that the US Armed Forces would be using this design, the 5cm Pak 38, as their intermediate caliber AB gun. In OTL, the US Army had the M1 57mm AT gun, which was of a British design, which they would not have ITTL due to the UK being an enemy of theirs.

the Amtrac is based on a vehicle developed for use in the Florida Everglades. if anyone, the CSA would have them.
No it's the US. The US is the one likely to be conducting amphibious invasions and thus has the need for something like that, the CSA isn't going to be conducted opposed landings and knows it and has less resources to allot to something like that. Form follows function, if the USMC says we need a vehicle to do x,y&z with those being the requirements for the OTL Amtrac, the vehicle will look awfully like the OTL Amtrac

No it's the US. The US is the one likely to be conducting amphibious invasions and thus has the need for something like that, the CSA isn't going to be conducted opposed landings and knows it and has less resources to allot to something like that. Form follows function, if the USMC says we need a vehicle to do x,y&z with those being the requirements for the OTL Amtrac, the vehicle will look awfully like the OTL Amtrac
I'm not saying that the US wouldn't develop such a vehicle, I'm saying the Amtrac itself would have been developed in the CSA as the specific environment it was designed for is in Florida. any US attempt at such a vehicle is stymied by the fact that the marshy environs that lend themselves to such engineering and design philosophies really don't exist in the North. as such, the engineering and development would take much longer.

And Considering the CSA and the British both conducted a Joint operation in the Bahamas and Bermuda, CSa seaborne assault operations aren't entirely out of the question either.

In the same vein, Snow-environment vehicles like the M29 Weasel wouldn't be as common in the South, as the snowy and mountainous environs it was designed for aren't as commonplace in the CSA.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the US wouldn't develop such a vehicle, I'm saying the Amtrac itself would have been developed in the CSA as the specific environment it was designed for is in Florida. any US attempt at such a vehicle is stymied by the fact that the marshy environs that lend themselves to such engineering and design philosophies really don't exist in the North. as such, the engineering and development would take much longer.

And Considering the CSA and the British both conducted a Joint operation in the Bahamas and Bermuda, CSa seaborne assault operations aren't entirely out of the question either.

In the same vein, Snow-environment vehicles like the M29 Weasel wouldn't be as common in the South, as the snowy and mountainous environs it was designed for aren't as commonplace in the CSA.
The Amtrac itself will not exist in 191, same as the vast majority of weapons post 1880 as the conditions which created it would be butterflied away. The CSA is unlikely to develop such a vehicle as the Confederate Marine Corps will be starved for funds given the need to have an Army that can fight the US Army

It would take the North slightly longer to develop such a vehicle from scratch, but not all that much longer, probably two years, about as long as the Japanese took to develop theirs from scratch, rather than somewhat under a year

I said opposed landings, there is a difference, in an unopposed landing you don't have to worry and can just use lighters and take your sweet time. The Bahamas are basically going to be unopposed, or nearly so, anyone trying to defend them in that strategic position should be sacked. Bermuda is more difficult, but can be explained as the Brit's doing the heavy lifting, which they would in any case as the CSA has no navy so the operation depends exclusively on the Royal Navy to happen. Again the CSA is not going to be worried about opposed amphibious operations, that is not important to their war

The Weasel was mostly used in tropical environments (literally during WWII and its postwar combat career only 15 of thousands were used in cold weather environment), assuming the CSA could afford vehicle like them they would love them

P-27 (Late).png

Here's my take two on my interpretation of the P-27 Sky Shark, which here is a later variant of the P-27 featuring a refined nose section (which for this image, I took off from a Ki-61 Hien fighter).

A P-27H of the 54th Fighter Wing of the USAF, New Mexico, circa Summer of 1943. (Note the faintly visible red circle in the center of the USAF roundel, which the roundel was changed in the summer of 1943 for all service branches.)

I decided to render Yankee Joe in plastic. The body and legs are from Bolt Action's Blitzkrieg Germans set, the gas mask head from Wargames Atlantic's WWI Germans, and the arms and weapon from Bolt Action's US Marines.

_tl_191__us_army_soldier___second_great_war_by_rvbomally_de4t7bq-fullview.jpg

I decided to render Yankee Joe in plastic. The body and legs are from Bolt Action's Blitzkrieg Germans set, the gas mask head from Wargames Atlantic's WWI Germans, and the arms and weapon from Bolt Action's US Marines.

_tl_191__us_army_soldier___second_great_war_by_rvbomally_de4t7bq-fullview.jpg

The closest thing TL-191 has gotten in receiving fan miniature models, so far.

It looks great! :)

I love the little Union shield on the helmet.

It's the kind of thing I'd pay money for.

tbd-devastator.png

A rendition of a Douglas TBD Devastator Torpedo Bomber of VT-7 which was stationed on the aircraft carrier USS Wasp at the time of outbreak of hostilities, circa Summer of 1941. For the first few months of America's involvement in the Second Great War, the TBD Devastator was the mainstay carrier-based torpedo bomber of the Union Navy. In this capacity, the Devastator proved to be an obsolete plane, proving to be an easy target for enemy shipborne AA guns and fighters. It was not until the Spring of 1942 when the Devastator would be finally retired in favor of the much better Grumman TBF Avenger.

I got a request for modern Union Barrel by @ThirdyLovesAH so I made what I'm calling an SB (standard Barrel) the B-55 General Morrel.
TL-191 MBT Morrel  -- M60A1.png

Developed from the B-50 General Morrel series of standard barrels the B-55A entered service in 1980 and has gone thru several upgrades while continuing to serve as the Union's standard barrel in both the Union army and Marine Corps.
The B-55 is due for replacement in 2020 by the B-58.