TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

US_Small_Arms.png

My collage of different Union Armed Forces Small Arms of the SGW
Nice! Though I think there should be an equivalent to the Ingram Model 6.

As noted elsewhere, I’ve been wondering about US & CS decorations - my guess is that the former would have made a point of issuing medals for relatively minor things prior to the Great War (as a way of emphasising the prestige of serving with the army) but toning back a little after a Major Victory left the US Army with prestige to spare.

I’m reasonably confident there would be a campaign medal for the War of Secession and Second Mexican War (“Never forget!”) but less confident that these medals would be awarded until after the Great War; there would definitely be an Indian Wars medal (which there might not be in the Confederate States of America, as a way of keeping the Fove Civilised Tribes sweet); there would most definitely be a Great War medal (probably a 1914 medal, a general service medal and/or a victory medal); there would likely be a ‘Canada’ medal (with a clasp for the uprising); there may well be a Pacific War medal (It wasn’t an especially glorious war but the USA didn’t lose any core territories and won a few actions); that there would be a Second Great War medal goes without saying.

May I please ask if anyone has other suggestions?

Splendid Work, Marlowski - my only quibble is that using the WWII star for the Timeline 191 USA perhaps goes a little too far towards presenting that power as the ‘Real America’ in a way that I think gives the Northern Colossus a little too much credit.

Let me put it this way, it seems a little too comforting a touch in the middle of a scenario that should be a straight up Horror Story of an Alternate History.

Just thought of this, U.S is a large country right? Well would have Plenty of Space to do they first Airborne/Paratroops Operation in the First Great War.
Now hear me out, In OTL, some American general actually have planned to used Airborne to attack the German in Early February 191 but it was Canceled due the Great War being over.
Now with German influence the American military’s with Discipline and U.S have huge Industry to create Barrel and Weapons,
Do you they have Experimented with Airborne with a Early Union Paratroopers attacking those Dammed Butter-boys?

Last edited:
Just thought of this, U,S is a large country right? Well would have Plenty of Space to do they first Airborne/Paratroops Operation in the First Great War.
Now hear me out, In OTL, some American general actually have planned to used Airborne to attack the German in Early February 191 but it was Canceled due the Great War being over.
Now with German influence the American military’s with Discipline and U.S have huge Industry to create Barrel and Weapons,
Do you they have Experimented with Airborne with a Early Union Paratroopers attacking those Dammed Butter-boys?
The problem with paratrooper missions in WWI is the lack of a suitable aircraft that can carry enough troopers to make a mission feasible.
There were no transport aircraft in WWI so large bombers would have to be used but even these wouldn't be ideal, the bombs were mostly carried by being attached to the wings so not even a Bombay to cram troops in is available.

I imagine if the idea for airborne troops is conceived early enough some large German bombers like the Zeppelin Staaken R.VI could be converted into a troop transport plane and it's even possible that the US in TL-191 built a license version.
4e2b8c7b6b95fa27ca366e5b6da67609.jpg

If such a plane is available early enough, maybe it could carry a dozen fully equipped troopers, maybe more.

Pangur

Donor
The problem with paratrooper missions in WWI is the lack of a suitable aircraft that can carry enough troopers to make a mission feasible.
There were no transport aircraft in WWI so large bombers would have to be used but even these wouldn't be ideal, the bombs were mostly carried by being attached to the wings so not even a Bombay to cram troops in is available.

I imagine if the idea for airborne troops is conceived early enough some large German bombers like the Zeppelin Staaken R.VI could be converted into a troop transport plane and it's even possible that the US in TL-191 built a license version.

If such a plane is available early enough, maybe it could carry a dozen fully equipped troopers, maybe more.
Random idea, how about gliders?

Random idea, how about gliders?
If someone comes up with the idea, sure, he'd also have to come up with a suitable design, if Otto Lilienthal's death was butterflied in TL-191 he could design one and the Wright Brothers started out building gliders so it's also possible they could come up with a suitable design but someone has to think of it.
Plenty of twin engine aircraft that could haul a glider though.

If someone comes up with the idea, sure, he'd also have to come up with a suitable design, if Otto Lilienthal's death was butterflied in TL-191 he could design one and the Wright Brothers started out building gliders so it's also possible they could come up with a suitable design but someone has to think of it.
Plenty of twin engine aircraft that could haul a glider though.
I could imagine that Otto lilienthal would Eventually even Worked with the Wright Brothers in Tl191.

Imagine what Aircraft designed will look like with Three Genius working together

I could imagine that Otto lilienthal would Eventually even Worked with the Wright Brothers in Tl191.

Imagine what Aircraft designed will look like with Three Genius working together
Wright Brothers were huge fans of Lilienthal and called him "the man who taught us how to fly". When the Wright Brothers started making money from their aircraft business they sent Lilienthal's widow a check a month for the rest of her life.

I can easily see the Wright Brothers working with Lilienthal.

Wright Brothers were huge fans of Lilienthal and called him "the man who taught us how to fly". When the Wright Brothers started making money from their aircraft business they sent Lilienthal's widow a check a month for the rest of her life.

I can easily see the Wright Brothers working with Lilienthal.
First of all, Wright Brothers are Absolute Chad's for what they gifting their money to their Hero wife like that.
Anyone else could've easy just keep the Money, but they didn't keep it Instead They Donated to Otto Widow.

Absolute Bros

Last edited:
First of all, Wright Brothers are Absolute Chad's for what they gifting their money to their Hero wife like that.
Anyone could've easy just keep the Money, but they didn't keep it Instead They Donated to Otto Widow.

Absolute Bros
They readily acknowledged that they owed a lot to Lilienthal and expressed that they believed he might have invented the first airplane had he lived longer.
Lilienthal was indeed the Wright Brothers hero.

They readily acknowledged that they owed a lot to Lilienthal and expressed that they believed he might have invented the first airplane had he lived longer.
Lilienthal was indeed the Wright Brothers hero.
100% Respects them for that.

In Talkernate episode about The Great War Trilogy, they talk about that Aviation is a bit more Advance than OTL..
Maybe that Wright Brothers working with Lilienthal thing is Actually more Canon than we think, bros

Yeah that could worked.
With U.S War Industries on Crack Cocaine with Steroid to boot, they could made American their own Zeppelin Staaken R.VI type to Bombs, Shooting and Now Deployed union paratroopers on the Johnny reb line.
But speaking of Union Paratroops, what will the Equipment, Uniform and style to differentiated with Union army?
They will Obvious will have less Protection than OTL US Airborne (Being the First Nation doing Paratrooper In FGW and less Advance cause they do in 1910s than 1940)
They highly have Different type of Helmet than the Average soldier like with Wehrmacht and Fallschirmjager helmets in WW2

Last edited:
Yeah that could worked. With U.S War Industries on Crack Cocaine with Steroid to boot, they could made American their own Zeppelin Staaken R.VI type to Bombs, Shooting and Now Deployed union paratroopers on the Johnny reb line.
But speaking of Union Paratroops, what will the Equipment, Uniform and style to differentiated with Union army? They will Obvious will have less Protection than OTL US Airborne (Being the First Nation doing Paratrooper In FGW and less Advance cause they do in 1910s than 1940)
They highly have Different type of Helmet than the Average soldier like with Wehrmacht and Fallschirmjager helmets in WW2
We could speculate on uniforms and equipment for a page or two but more importantly what weapons would WWI era paratroopers use?
There are no sub-machine guns in service yet, the MP-18 and the BAR won't enter service until 1918 and the war ends in 1917 in TL-191.

I could see a carbine version of the Model 1903 Springfield being made for Paras but at the very least they'll need a light MG.
We could consider some alternate light arms being invented in an alternate timeline, the US having a hostile neighbor right next door could lead the nation's arms maker to be more creative but Turtledove makes no mentions of any alternate small arms during the Great War.

100% Respects them for that.

In Talkernate episode about The Great War Trilogy, they talk about that Aviation is a bit more Advance than OTL..
Maybe that Wright Brothers working with Lilienthal thing is Actually more Canon than we think, bros
Or just the army told them to stop being patient trolls earlier than otl

We could speculate on uniforms and equipment for a page or two but more importantly what weapons would WWI era paratroopers use?
There are no sub-machine guns in service yet, the MP-18 and the BAR won't enter service until 1918 and the war ends in 1917 in TL-191.

I could see a carbine version of the Model 1903 Springfield being made for Paras but at the very least they'll need a light MG.
We could consider some alternate light arms being invented in an alternate timeline, the US having a hostile neighbor right next door could lead the nation's arms maker to be more creative but Turtledove makes no mentions of any alternate small arms during the Great War.
American War machine could produce Both early sub-machine gun and Carbine rifles for Union Paratrooper.
You are right of Alternate light arms as Well other Guns that will carry by both Union Paratrooper and Infantry because of the Reb and Canuck on their Border.
Hell like with Zeppelin Staaken things, they could made their own BAR and early MP-18 made in American Factory.

American War machine could produce Both early sub-machine gun and Carbine rifles for Union Paratrooper.
You are right of Alternate light arms as Well other Guns that will carry by both Union Paratrooper and Infantry because of the Reb and Canuck on their Border.
Hell like with Zeppelin Staaken things, they could made their own BAR and early MP-18 made in American Factory.
Germany could trade the licensing rights to the MP-18 to the US for the rights to the BAR, both nations just need to think of them a year earlier. Again I can see the US inventing the sub-gun first because of it's hostile neighbors, not too far a stretch really.