TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Sure, I can try to.

US Marine, 19th Marine Regiment, 3nd Marine Division - Baja, Mexico 1943

Formed in November 1941, following training in the State of California the marines of this regiment would take part in the campaign to seize Baja California from Mexico in 1943, earning a good reputation as a hard-fighting unit. They would later go on to take part in amphibious operations to liberate Haiti in 1944. This marine's uniform is typical for the hot, dry climate of Baja, originally developed for warm, tropical environments around the Caribbean and Pacific Islands. His helmet is the M1935 Steel Helmet painted in the two color "Sand" pattern used for the Baja Campaign. His webbing and equipment are not specific to the USMC and could be found in widespread use among the US Army. His weapon is the M1903A3 Springfield Rifle, a perfectly capable weapon that, despite desperate calls and vigorous attempts to replace it with a semi-automatic rifle, remained the primary infantry weapon throughout the course of the war.

Excellent work - I’ll bet the bootnecks gave Max’s Men absolute Hell!

US_Small_Arms_GW1.png

The Small Arms of the US Armed Forces during the First Great War

Doubtless TR had some unkind things to say about cheapskates who wouldn’t spring for the Repeater rifles that had been on the market when HE was putting together a regiment of volunteers!

You know I really do like the notion of a license-built Luger being the US service pistol during the First & Second Great Wars (Especially since Mr Browning is not likely to be designing guns for the USA).

As the ‘Colt .35’ perhaps? (If I remember correctly the Luger was a 9mm).

Looking up the US field testing of the Luger suggests it might have been the ‘M.1900’ or ‘M.1905’ instead.

Question for all yay, Does the Average American infantry still have “Doughboy” nickname or they have Different name?

I tend to favour either “Billy” (In the vein of “Tommy”, “Ivan” or “Fritz”) - with “Johnny” as the Southern counterpart - or “Greenback” (as a nod to the grey-green uniforms and to US paper currency, with the suggestion that the US spends soldiers as casually as it does cash); the latter is closer in spirit to “Doughboy”.

I also wonder if CSA troops are sometimes called “Butternuts” (or “Butternut boys” or simply “Nuts”) in addition to the ubiquitous “Reb”.

I also wonder if CSA troops are sometimes called “Butternuts” (or “Butternut boys” or simply “Nuts”) in addition to the ubiquitous “Reb”.
I can see Some yankee called CSA troops with even Named like "Inbred, Redneck and Incest baby"

In the 80 years of Hatreds and Destruction with the Confederacy, they wouldn't be forgiven with Slangs/Slurs of the Confederate Troops and Civilian

Last edited:
I can see Some yankee called CSA troops with even Named like "Inbred, Redneck and Incest baby"

Would those same stereotypes still be uniformly applied in Timeline 191 though? I'd have thought the Northern mental image of the South was more 'GONE WITH THE WIND, only this time we admit that's a BAD thing' than DELIVERANCE WITH NAZIS.

I was reminded today that, if asked to choose a model for the US helmet of the Great Wars, I would most definitely pick the Model 5 designed for (and field tested by) the AEF of WWI.

Not only was it said to be as easy to manufacture as the M1917 ‘tin hat’ (and to offer slightly greater protection), the key reason for it’s not being adopted is that it was ‘Too German’.

Obviously that would not be a problem for the T191 Used Armed Forces.
Honestly Model 5 is the perfect helmet for the Billy Yankee's.

It shows how different Tl191 Americans are to Otl America, It shows the Influence of German culture on This U.S and It really just Cooler design than M1917 and even the StahIhelm .

Well I disagree that the Model 5 is cooler than the M1917 (I love a tin hat, yes I do) one can agree that it’s an excellent design & suits the T191 USA beautifully.