TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

So I checked out the Eratz Panther and I've got to say it definitely looks like a late or even early cold war US tank.

Oh! That could make for an interesting design base. Would probably need to add the commander's cupola though. That was removed, effectively blinding the commander unless stuck his head out.

I think there's also a version of the MAS-49 with an extended magazine right? Put that on there and you can even make it a true semi-auto or full-auto design. Would look like a higher-quality, beefier version of the Volkssturmgewehr 1-5 to me.

Either way, I do like this design! I think it works as more of a semi-auto rifle in my opinion, but that's just me. I think its because of the parts used here. Heck if anything the US Army in TL-191 just needs semi-auto akin to M1 Garand and I think they're good. But again, really digging this design.

What should this one be called?
I might do some more work with this one, I really like it. I like the FG-FN one too but turned out pretty much spot on and I don't think I can improve it anymore.
I couldn't think of any more names so if you and pattontank12 would like to come up with some names and even some back stories that be pretty cool IMO.

So I checked out the Eratz Panther and I've got to say it definitely looks like a late or even early cold war US tank.
View attachment 412825
I've always liked the Ersatz M10/Panther and its one of my fave tanks to play on WoT. I once reversed the idea and did an ersatz Panther/M10, it turned out looking more like a Pz.IV than a Panther except for the sloped armour. I wish I had thought of it earlier but it might have made a good Union medium barrel.
Here it is for comparison and maybe we should include it, it might make a better M7 Custer. What do you guys think?

M10_Ersatz_Panzer.png

And speaking of the Custer, I did a late war version with a bigger turret and gun, I was thinking Union troops would refer to this one s the "General Custer" while the early version was just called the Custer.

B7 Gen. Custer.png

Here's another Mas-MKb hybrid. I had a pic of an STG-44 (a small pic unfortunately) with a 20 rd. magazine (I think its an airsoft gun), so I pasted it to a Mas and added the Mkb barrel and I also shortened the barrel just a bit this time and added iron sights from the STG.

=mp-44-.jpg

I really like the way this one turned out, it has very alternate look to it IMHO. It doesn't really look like anything from OTL but at the same time has a familiar look to it, the MKb's forestock does have a strong STG look about it but that's it, the Mas-49 isn't that well known a gun and doesn't really look like any of the more popular WWII, Cold War or modern era guns.
A shout out to pattontank12 for suggesting I do something with the MKb-42's barrel. I like it so much, I might use it on some other designs in the future for other threads and TL's. :cool:

Call it the "Armstrong" to avoid confusion between the "Custer" and the "General Custer" perhaps?:)

Yeah, I like that! Or perhaps even call one the Roosevelt! Or one named after at least one modestly successful general in TL-191's Civil War! XD There's got to be at least one or two out there. Damn it Grant and Sherman, why'd you have to be non-important! Also, we are not naming one after Rosecrans

I've always liked the Ersatz M10/Panther and its one of my fave tanks to play on WoT. I once reversed the idea and did an ersatz Panther/M10, it turned out looking more like a Pz.IV than a Panther except for the sloped armour. I wish I had thought of it earlier but it might have made a good Union medium barrel.
Here it is for comparison and maybe we should include it, it might make a better M7 Custer. What do you guys think?

A little tweaking, but honestly the cupola was the only thing I could think about that needed adding. The Ersatz Panther would make a good alternate design for the US Army in TL-191 I feel! Could go up against the Confederate's heavier barrels honestly.

I actually think the "Ersatz" should be its own medium/heavy tank. The M7 Custer ("Armstrong") ones that you made, the ones with the PT-76 like turret - those I think you should keep as the Custer, while the "Ersatz" can be its own model - by American standards it would be a heavy tank I believe, while the Custer you made would be a medium. Plus, I don't think the US Army would have a tank like your Ersatz at the beginning of the war considering how lethargic the Army was in developing good tanks post-Great War. So the as of unnamed Ersatz can be a mid to late war design to combat the heavier tanks the CS Army has.

Still want to name it the Roosevelt btw, to name any tank the "Roosevelt" but I'm alone on that XD Oh well.

And speaking of the Custer, I did a late war version with a bigger turret and gun, I was thinking Union troops would refer to this one s the "General Custer" while the early version was just called the Custer.

Yeah baby, this one looks nice! Actaully this one could be a good mid-war going to late-war model to me, similar development in mind to the T-34-85. Like, if the original M7 Custer was the T-34-1941/1942, then the up-gunned one you made here would be the T-34-85 equivalent, if that makes sense. Or if yo want to use American tanks - this one would be the equivalent to the "Easy-Eight" Sherman.

The gun on it looks sufficiently powerful too! The added tweaks I can see as being upgrades to what crewmen said needed fixing.

I vote to keep the name "Custer" for it honestly. The "Custer" family of tanks!

Here's another Mas-MKb hybrid. I had a pic of an STG-44 (a small pic unfortunately) with a 20 rd. magazine (I think its an airsoft gun), so I pasted it to a Mas and added the Mkb barrel and I also shortened the barrel just a bit this time and added iron sights from the STG.

I really like the way this one turned out, it has very alternate look to it IMHO. It doesn't really look like anything from OTL but at the same time has a familiar look to it, the MKb's forestock does have a strong STG look about it but that's it, the Mas-49 isn't that well known a gun and doesn't really look like any of the more popular WWII, Cold War or modern era guns.

A shout out to pattontank12 for suggesting I do something with the MKb-42's barrel. I like it so much, I might use it on some other designs in the future for other threads and TL's. :cool:

Now that's a gun! So, would this be used by the Yankees during the Second Great War then? What would it be? A carbine, a battle rifle, an assault rifle, or a semi-auto? While I do like the design, is it still right to classify it as a carbine? Looks too heavy hitting to be one.

A little tweaking, but honestly the cupola was the only thing I could think about that needed adding. The Ersatz Panther would make a good alternate design for the US Army in TL-191 I feel! Could go up against the Confederate's heavier barrels honestly.

I actually think the "Ersatz" should be its own medium/heavy tank. The M7 Custer ("Armstrong") ones that you made, the ones with the PT-76 like turret - those I think you should keep as the Custer, while the "Ersatz" can be its own model - by American standards it would be a heavy tank I believe, while the Custer you made would be a medium. Plus, I don't think the US Army would have a tank like your Ersatz at the beginning of the war considering how lethargic the Army was in developing good tanks post-Great War. So the as of unnamed Ersatz can be a mid to late war design to combat the heavier tanks the CS Army has.

Still want to name it the Roosevelt btw, to name any tank the "Roosevelt" but I'm alone on that XD Oh well.
Other nane suggestions: Grizzly, Phoenix, Behemoth and Hammer.

I definitely see the "Ersatz" being more along the lines of a late war medium or heavy tank, being developed has a counter to Confederate heavy tanks. Maybe with it eventually serving a similar role to the OTL Centurion, with various updated variants being used by the US and allies over the years.

Yeah baby, this one looks nice! Actaully this one could be a good mid-war going to late-war model to me, similar development in mind to the T-34-85. Like, if the original M7 Custer was the T-34-1941/1942, then the up-gunned one you made here would be the T-34-85 equivalent, if that makes sense. Or if yo want to use American tanks - this one would be the equivalent to the "Easy-Eight" Sherman.

The gun on it looks sufficiently powerful too! The added tweaks I can see as being upgrades to what crewmen said needed fixing.

I'm guessing that the "Custer" family of tanks would have been widely sold off to various countries around the world by the US following SGW, partly to support their allies and partially to gain foreign capital help rebuild the damage after the war. With a few of the more industrious countries coming up with their own modernized variants, similar to these guys.
modernized_m_18_by_wolfenkrieger-d4ljd1j.jpg

M4A1-Sherman-latrun-1.jpg

I'm guessing that the "Custer" family of tanks would have been widely sold off to various countries around the world by the US following SGW, partly to support their allies and partially to gain foreign capital help rebuild the damage after the war. With a few of the more industrious countries coming up with their own modernized variants, similar to these guys.

Well I'm sure other countries may have a use for them, if the US is inclined to sell them that is. Can't really say about what the post-war world would be like to warrant that. I just focus on the Second Great War and the now.

And I certainly hope we get more iterations for the "Custer Family" of tanks!

I'm sure there were plenty of different variants and iterations of the "Custer" over the years ranging from mobile artillery to troop transport, I mean just look at the varients Isreal alone came up with.
1280px-M50-155mm-latrun-2.jpg
M4A4-AMX-13-latrun-2.jpg
L-33-Roem-beyt-hatotchan-2.jpg
M4-Sherman-Medevac-latrun-1-1.jpg

I'm sure there were plenty of different variants and iterations of the "Custer" over the years ranging from mobile artillery to troop transport, I mean just look at the varients Isreal alone came up with.

Well, they sure new how to recycle a hull and squeeze every bit of use out of it for something. I'm sure US Army in TL-191 would make good use of its hulls and chassises for other tanks with special purposes behind them. Kind of like Hobart's Funnys.

OK lets call the Ersatz the Roosevelt and the troops called it the "Teddy". :)

Republic B20 Devastator heavy bomber. Built not just to hit any target in the CSA but to also drop a heavy bomb load and devastate its target.

Republic B20 Devestator.gif

Piaggio P-108 with tail from a Lancaster and belly gondola from a Focke Wulf Fw-200.

Republic B20 Devastator heavy bomber. Built not just to hit any target in the CSA but to also drop a heavy bomb load and devastate its target.

Piaggio P-108 with tail from a Lancaster and belly gondola from a Focke Wulf Fw-200.

Oh! So is this like the equivalent to the B-17 Flying Fortress? Certainly looks that way, even if the parts don't come from the American models. Interesting design here! The four engines certainly make it look like it could fly father than anything the Confederates have, which probably means it can strike targets deeper inside the Confederacy. Looks like it doesn't have much in terms of protection though, but I can't tell. The only gun positions I can clearly see are in the tail.

Nice work! Love the name!

Oh! So is this like the equivalent to the B-17 Flying Fortress? Certainly looks that way, even if the parts don't come from the American models. Interesting design here! The four engines certainly make it look like it could fly father than anything the Confederates have, which probably means it can strike targets deeper inside the Confederacy. Looks like it doesn't have much in terms of protection though, but I can't tell. The only gun positions I can clearly see are in the tail.

Nice work! Love the name!
I took the name from the OTL Douglas TBD Devastator. A US pre-war designed single engine torpedo bomber that was retired from service in 1942. Always liked the name but felt it was used for the wrong plane.

The OTL Piaggio P-108 had a defensive armament of eight Breda "O" 12.7 mm (.5 in) one in the nose, and one in a retractable ventral turret, two fully hydraulically powered turrets, two 7.7 mm (.303 in) guns in the flanks. The wing armament consisted of two remote-controlled, hydraulically powered Breda "Z" turrets with 600 rpg in the outer-engine wing nacelles, linked to one of the two cupolas in the fuselage "hump", with an operator in each. Bomb load was roughly about 7,500 lb.

The OTL B-17 carried twelve to thirteen 50 cal. (.5 in) MG's and had a bomb load of 8,000 lbs.

The B20 Devastator has fourteen MG's it has the same guns as the P-108 plus two in the tail, two in the nose, two staggered waist guns and another two in the front of the belly gondola. All the guns on the B20 are 50 cal.
The bomb load is 8,000 lbs.