TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alterwright, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Some of my older works, gentlemen...

[​IMG]

Based on these OTL photos.

[​IMG]

Originally depicted an Aussie soldier, I suppose. The hat style would fit the CSA, though.

[​IMG]

Though I probably "done goofed up" with the paratrooper. They didn't have them in the series, did they ?

For your consideration. :p

2. MFOM Member

In OTL it was used by several powers as a fortress defense weapon to repel infantry attacks, so it would find use in the extensive fortifications in this TL as well, at least until MGs take over that role, i could certainly see them taken out of storage to be used in the infantry support role or AA role.

3. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

Would be possible for the Hotchkiss revolving cannon to be used as the main weapon of an armored vehicle in place of a cannon or machine gun?

4. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Find me a line drawing of one and I'll have a friend of mine scale it with some armored vehicles and we'll both find out.

pattontank12 likes this.
  5. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

How are these for the Union military?

6. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I used sections from both the Johnson rifle and Johnson LMG for some alternate Confederate small arms on the Featherston's Finest thread.

7. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

The Ingram could definitely be a nice alternative to the Thompson submachine, possibly being developed following the outbreak of the war.

Jack Brisco and David CGB like this.
  8. RaspingLeech Active Member

Figure I might as well post this here, I made a small reference for my interpretation of US Army uniforms in both wars:
    [​IMG]

GREAT WAR ERA (M1912):
    • Standard issue headwear was a close relative the Bergmütze ski cap to replace the War of Secession-styled kepi.
    • Calf-high jackboots were adopted in the late 1880s when the Army greatly modeled itself after the German Empire. While technically standard issue throughout the Great War, lax regulations led to many soldiers wearing shorter boots, civilian footwear, or Confederate boots taken from fallen enemies.
    • Buttons were a silver color which continued well past the war's end. Field modifications often involved covering any metal surfaces with either paint or mud in order to be less conspicuous in battle.
    • Belt buckles greatly resembled their War of Secession counterpart in a silver color. Exact designs varied, with either a rounded "US" buckle or square eagle design issued. The rectangular buckle would ultimately be standardized in the 1920s.
    SECOND GREAT WAR ERA (M1939):
    • While the overall cut of the uniform remained similar to its Great War counterpart, later uniforms were shorter in length and featured a larger collar
    • All metal surfaces sported a matte gray color, although silver buttons were still commonplace throughout the war
    • Small hooks to support the equipment belt were present on the tunic, and a more modern Y-strap system was adopted.
    • Shorter utility boots were now standard-issue for comfort, although jackboots would remain standard for parade uniforms.
    • Two breast pockets were added with all four being pleated. Urgent need for uniforms meant that varying degrees of simplification were present even in uniforms from the same factory.
    Absolutely not exact or final but I wanted something that wasn't the typical "literally just the Wehrmacht" uniform.

Historyman 14 and Odinson like this.