TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

Want to bet a British sub went to Norfolk with information on their nuclear program, and took Confederate rocket plans back to the UK? That's probably what went down.

I find it weird that in Settling Accounts, the Confederates have a bazooka-analogue and the Americans don't. Especially since the guy who invented the bazooka was Robert Hutchings Goddard, who was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on October 5, 1882. He never gets mentioned once in any of the books.
That is weird especially since Goddard is a minor character in the "World War" series.

Oh @cortz#9 would you mind putting your airplane pictures for the "Colt" and "Bobcat" here on this thread? I believe they're in the Confederate thread. I think they'd be more than welcomed here on this predominantly Yankee themed one. I quite like the design of the "Colt" there. Reminds me of the Zero despite actually taking parts from the Fw-190 and the Tempest.

Oh @cortz#9 would you mind putting your airplane pictures for the "Colt" and "Bobcat" here on this thread? I believe they're in the Confederate thread. I think they'd be more than welcomed here on this predominantly Yankee themed one. I quite like the design of the "Colt" there. Reminds me of the Zero despite actually taking parts from the Fw-190 and the Tempest.
No problem but the "Bobcat" was a CS. plane, I think you mean the "Kestral".

Curtiss P32 Kestral.
_Curtiss P32 Kestral.gif

Republic H39 Colt.
_Republic H39 Colt.gif

No problem but the "Bobcat" was a CS. plane, I think you mean the "Kestral".

Curtiss P32 Kestral.

Republic H39 Colt.

Schweet. I've always liked the design of the "Colt". Very sleek. You said that over time that this plane actually got modifications and upgrades and such to adapt it to the air war over the continent. What did you mean by that?

And I believe it was mentioned somewhere on another thread that the biplanes of the CSA and USA would have their last fights over Caribbean. So a brawl between the Kestral a and the Bobcat would be likely.

It would make sense for the Marines getting stuck with the more outdated equipment, with the latest toys being directed towards the Army and the Continental theater. Outside of some amphibious tanks and personnel carriers, meant for beach landings and infantry support.

Actually what's the likelihood of the US having developed their own equivalent of the OTL Sherman DD?

It would make sense for the Marines getting stuck with the more outdated equipment, with the latest toys being directed towards the Army and the Continental theater. Outside of some amphibious tanks and personnel carriers, meant for beach landings and infantry support.

Actually what's the likelihood of the US having developed their own equivalent of the OTL Sherman DD?

Oh, its very likely to me the US Military would have developed amphibious tanks and the equivalent of the Sherman DD tank. Not the exact copy, but the same design philosophy - "make tank swim".

It'd be a enormous help. With all the rivers, lakes and other smaller bodies of water scattered across the eastern states in the CS and US, it would be a sound decision for the US military to design something to ford those bodies of water more easily. Bridgeheads and beachheads could be more effectively defended, giving the infantry pinned down on the shore much needed fire support. While the amphibious vehicles have their own shortcomings for sure, strategically and tactically I believe the US would make use of these things.

I'm a bit puzzled why the USMC would be stuck with more outdated equipment compared to the Army though. Why would they be issued with outdated weapons and equipment in your opinion?

Schweet. I've always liked the design of the "Colt". Very sleek. You said that over time that this plane actually got modifications and upgrades and such to adapt it to the air war over the continent. What did you mean by that?

And I believe it was mentioned somewhere on another thread that the biplanes of the CSA and USA would have their last fights over Caribbean. So a brawl between the Kestral a and the Bobcat would be likely.
Like the Spitfire and Me-109, as time went by the plane would have gotten more powerful engines, better cooling systems, better weapons, for instance, the early versions would be armed with heavy MG's and later versions with light cannons.

Like the Spitfire and Me-109, as time went by the plane would have gotten more powerful engines, better cooling systems, better weapons, for instance, the early versions would be armed with heavy MG's and later versions with light cannons.

Any ideas for how to upgrade the "Colt" then? What does the Colt have now and what can the plane support as it gets upgrade over time?

I'm a bit puzzled why the USMC would be stuck with more outdated equipment compared to the Army though. Why would they be issued with outdated weapons and equipment in your opinion?
Not completely stuck mind you but with Confederate Army at the doorsteps and the Mormon revolt the Army and airforce would be getting priority on supplies and the latest weaponry. While the Caribbean Islands and Pacific would be considered minor fronts, along with their already being a healthy supply of older surplus that would be easier to supply to the Marines.

Plus if you've scene the Pacific you'll notice that some of the weaponry like the maxim would be considered outdated, yet still used. So I figured something similar would happen here.

If Grumman is too busy building Wildcats and then Hellcats over the TBF, this bird, as previously mentioned, might be the Navy's main torpedo bomber....Vought's TBU Seawolf was built by Consolidated as Vought was busy OTL with F4U Corsair production. However, building a new factory and airfield, hanky-panky among some Consolidated Executives (two of whom wound up in Federal Prison), and other delays meant that only a training squadron (VT-97) and two Fleet squadrons (VT-153 and -154) formed, and the two Fleet squadrons never deployed, being OTL disbanded in November, 1945.

TBY in flight.jpg

If Grumman is too busy building Wildcats and then Hellcats over the TBF, this bird, as previously mentioned, might be the Navy's main torpedo bomber....Vought's TBU Seawolf was built by Consolidated as Vought was busy OTL with F4U Corsair production. However, building a new factory and airfield, hanky-panky among some Consolidated Executives (two of whom wound up in Federal Prison), and other delays meant that only a training squadron (VT-97) and two Fleet squadrons (VT-153 and -154) formed, and the two Fleet squadrons never deployed, being OTL disbanded in November, 1945.

Sweet. You think Consolidated would have the green light to make more of these things over the course of the war? Where do you think they would be deployed if so?

I see. And you think the US military would be capable of developing equipment like this at this time?
Develop sure, gun is 1920's era, chassis is an M41, which is 1949, but no element is really more advanced than could have been put into a WWII design

Deploying it would be doubtful, the US needed every barrel and barrel buster it could get, SP arty should be one of those "nice to have" things that they can live without