TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

USAF_Fighters-2.png

Been meaning to post this here for months now, but some USAF fighters from the Late War period
Saw this again, and this question came up: What's the engine being used in the Mustang? Obviously not a Merlin, unless Packard came up with a similar engine based on espionage or somehow a captured Merlin was shipped from Germany to the USA.

A Do-335 or Ta-152 power plant on a Mustang airframe... Wonder how that meant in terms of performance-and maybe Pratt and Whitney, or Wright-Cyclone,, or whoever improved on it to get the performance boost the RL Packard/RR engine did with the V-1650.

For a Union Second Great War era smg I am imagining two options.

Either something along the lines of the Ingram Model 6. That was designed as replacement for the Thompson submachine gun.

Then something that can be beast described as the love child of the M3 grease gun and the MP38. Being a relatively cheap yet well made weapon.

Either something along the lines of the Ingram Model 6. That was designed as replacement for the Thompson submachine gun.

Then something that can be beast described as the love child of the M3 grease gun and the MP38. Being a relatively cheap yet well made weapon.
Part of me does like that idea, though the other part of me does think they may try the M2 Hyde instead.

As for your idea of a the love child, that sounds interesting, but the two are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of design. The M38 was phased out due to being too complicated for mass production during war time, while the M3 was considered a piece of crap that was only kept as long as it did due to it being so cheap to make and was disliked by almost everyone.

Part of me does like that idea, though the other part of me does think they may try the M2 Hyde instead.

As for your idea of a the love child, that sounds interesting, but the two are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of design. The M38 was phased out due to being too complicated for mass production during war time, while the M3 was considered a piece of crap that was only kept as long as it did due to it being so cheap to make and was disliked by almost everyone.
I was picturing it sort of being a middle ground between the two ends of the spectrum. With it being not quite as cheap as the M3 yet not as expensive as the mp38/40. Yet being all around a pretty well made and effective firearm overall.

Also I thought that the M3 was a fairly decent gun for the conditions it was made under.

I had included that gun into my Post-War Small Arms Collage for the US Military (from the late 40s to the 1960s)

US_Small_Arms_PW.png

The Thompson is in U.S. Army service: When Sgt. Armstrong Grimes is leaving the Reple-Depple to go to his new unit, one of the men with him is carrying a Thompson (The Grapple, p. 476)

Yet another list of TL-191 American tanks.

To explain, most tanks (barrels) depicted in various threads are kitbashed versions of major power tanks of WWII.

What if, for any number of reasons, the Union didn't copy German Empire tank designs, but instead selected Austro-Hungarian designs instead.. All images snagged from the War Thunder Wiki.

it_39m_csaba.png

Light Scout Car (OTL Hungarian 39M Csaba)

it_toldi_ii_a.png

Light Tank (OTL Hungarian Toldi IIa)

it_40m_turan_1.png

Early War Medium Tank (OTL Hungarian 40M Turan I)

it_41m_turan_2.png

Mid War Medium Tank (OTL 41M Turan II)

it_43m_turan_3.png

Late War Medium Tank (OTL Hungarian 43M Turan III. Prototype only, never entered series production.)

it_44m_zrinyi_1.png

Assault Gun / Tank Destroyer (OTL Hungarian 44M Zrinyi I. Prototype only, never entered series production.)

it_40_43m_zrinyi_2.png

Assault Gun / Infantry Support (OTL Hungarian 43M Zrinyi II.)

Looking at the OTL T20 experimental tank. I can see it working as an alt Custer. That kind of lived up to the overblown reputation of the Soviets T-34.
1200px-T20_tank_pilot_at_Fisher_plant.png