TL-191 Uniform, weapons and equipment of the Secondary Combatants.

Well, as a Filipino, I am interested on what events will happen if Japan colonized us instead of the Americans. I wonder what will the equipment of the Philippine military (Assuming it is not fully colonized like Korea)

How about an Italian influence on the Mexican Army?
869b2764eef64375458e9b680d577033.jpg

In butternut.

Well, as a Filipino, I am interested on what events will happen if Japan colonized us instead of the Americans. I wonder what will the equipment of the Philippine military (Assuming it is not fully colonized like Korea)
Well first off, Filipino I expect will be treated like Shit and Dirt in Japanese controlled Philippines maybe even Worsen than with Chinese or Korean 😟.

Sceond, Filipino will probably have Japanese Uniform and Equipment in the Empire, but will not seem as any Trust and Respect to Average Japanese soldiers and civilians.

Well first off, Filipino I expect will be treated like Shit and Dirt in Japanese controlled Philippines maybe even Worsen than with Chinese or Korean 😟.

Sceond, Filipino will probably have Japanese Uniform and Equipment in the Empire, but will not seem as any Trust and Respect to Average Japanese soldiers and civilians.
Sad but true.

I wonder if Japan will retain a Philippine Republic as a puppet state? I’m honestly not very familiar with Meiji Japan’s treatment of it’s acquisitions, but I do know that it’s different enough from WWII Japan to make it somewhat dangerous to conflate the two.

How about an Italian influence on the Mexican Army?
869b2764eef64375458e9b680d577033.jpg

In butternut.
That would, in fact, be oddly appropriate - given that Archduke Maximilian, prior to chasing the Mexican Crown, was his brother’s man in Italia (If memory serves).

I wonder if Japan will retain a Philippine Republic as a puppet state? I’m honestly not very familiar with Meiji Japan’s treatment of it’s acquisitions, but I do know that it’s different enough from WWII Japan to make it somewhat dangerous to conflate the two.
Japan will probably use Philippine as Base for their Navy fleets.

Filipino will be used as Laborers and Worker for Japanese company in Peace times and Military on War time.

I will Highly see Luzon as Setter colony for Japanese setters and will pushed the Filipino further south from Japanese settlement.

I don’t think Japan will never establish any Philippines republic, the Island’s nation is too Important for Japanese geopolitics in the Pacific.

There this Ideas of my that Filipinos highly migration to the Japanese mainland as Contractors and Worker parallels with Great Migration with the Blacks

Last edited:
<SIGHS>

One of these days I’ll have to work out a version of T-191 where the English-speaking peoples don’t tear each other a new one every half century or so.

Wait a minute, we’ve already got one of those - it’s OUR History!😊

Interesting question. Canonically, in the books, Japan acquired the Philippines from Spain via force. Essentially, since the United States doesn't have a naval presence in Cuba (and for that matter since Cuba is a Confederate state), they do not have a cause to go to war with Spain, which means they have no plans to attack and claim the Philippines.

Instead, the Japanese are the ones that fight the Spanish and takeover the Philippines from them. The resulting war thrusts the Japanese into the limelight as being the pre-eminent power in East Asia that has beaten a European power (essentially the Spanish-American War and Russo-Japanese War wrapped in one).

We can assume this happens around 1895-1900, the books don't really make it clear. But in this case the Philippines is one of Japan's older colonies - its second one, besides Formosa. We can assume that Korea becomes a colony later. Considering that the Philippines had an active independence movement that was already the Spanish before the Spanish American War in our timeline, it is very likely that the Japanese will experience the same problems and difficulties in dealing with the Filipinos as the Americans did - fighting the Revolutionary Government of Aguinaldo and the Moros in the south. It is likely the Japanese will implement colonial practices that are unique to the Philippines, but I don't see them doing anything extremely different. By the time Korea becomes a formal colony in 1911, the Philippines will have been under Japanese rule for almost a decade. Any colonial units raised their will definitely sport weapons and attire that are Japanese in appearance.

Germany doesn't have much in the way of a major colonial presence in the Far East in this timeline. Regardless, the areas that they do hold are primarily centered around New Guinea, Rabaul, and Samoa. While any colonial force would likely be outnumbered by their Entente rivals in neighboring Australia (and later Japan) I do believe the Germans would take measures to beef up their forces in these areas.

As such, their equipment and uniforms would have to be adapted for their environment. The closest I can think of is a tropical uniform that is predominantly green, inspired by the Afrika Korps uniforms.

KP1.jpg
KP3.jpg

Germany doesn't have much in the way of a major colonial presence in the Far East in this timeline. Regardless, the areas that they do hold are primarily centered around New Guinea, Rabaul, and Samoa. While any colonial force would likely be outnumbered by their Entente rivals in neighboring Australia (and later Japan) I do believe the Germans would take measures to beef up their forces in these areas.

As such, their equipment and uniforms would have to be adapted for their environment. The closest I can think of is a tropical uniform that is predominantly green, inspired by the Afrika Korps uniforms.

View attachment 738921View attachment 738922
M42-oak-worn-front-2021.jpg

In addition, I have suspicion that the Germans might be using some camo pattern (perhaps similar to Oak Leaf Pattern) for their colonial forces in the South Pacific and also in Africa.

M42-oak-worn-front-2021.jpg

In addition, I have suspicion that the Germans might be using some camo pattern (perhaps similar to Oak Leaf Pattern) for their colonial forces in the South Pacific and also in Africa.
They just might. It would be ideal for such an environment, possibly camo patterns printed on lightweight HBT uniforms.

Interesting question.
Canonically, in the books, Japan acquired the Philippines from Spain via force.

Essentially, since the United States doesn't have a naval presence in Cuba (and for that matter since Cuba is a Confederate state), they do not have a cause to go to war with Spain, which means they have no plans to attack and claim the Philippines.
That make sense, with North have to deal with the South and British in Canada so they Mainly focus only North America than any to do with the Pacific.

Instead, the Japanese are the ones that fight the Spanish and takeover the Philippines from them.
The resulting war thrusts the Japanese into the limelight as being the pre-eminent power in East Asia that has beaten a European power (essentially the Spanish-American War and Russo-Japanese War wrapped in one).
The Yellow fever will be even more worse in this time because the Japanese will Control an Vast area that will be Center of trade and the Navy will rule South China Sea.
We can assume this happens around 1895-1900, the books don't really make it clear.
But in this case the Philippines is one of Japan's older colonies - its second one, besides Formosa. We can assume that Korea becomes a colony later.
Considering that the Philippines had an active independence movement that was already the Spanish before the Spanish American War in our timeline, it is very likely that the Japanese will experience the same problems and difficulties in dealing with the Filipinos as the Americans did - fighting the Revolutionary Government of Aguinaldo and the Moros in the south.
It is likely the Japanese will implement colonial practices that are unique to the Philippines, but I don't see them doing anything extremely different.
By the time Korea becomes a formal colony in 1911, the Philippines will have been under Japanese rule for almost a decade.
Any colonial units raised their will definitely sport weapons and attire that are Japanese in appearance.

The book is didn't all that well in the Japan 🗾 and True beside Formosa, the Philippines will be the Oldest colony to the Japanese Empire, Korea fate as a Colony to Japan is Unknown.

Filipino will going to have a Difficult time to Independent with the Japanese are Tough and Brutal AF, while will likely Japanese will dealing Filipino Reb would have to Difficult and Hard across the Island.

Yes the Japanese will use a different strategy than with the colonies in Korea and Taiwan.
The Philippines have massive jungles and pocket of resistance hiding each of the 7,100 islands, plus have strong warrior people like Moro along other Filipinos that have fought the Spanish for over 300 years.

The Japanese would use Massacres, Torch Earth policy, Reprisal killing, Mass arrest of Filipinos resistance and sympathizers and Probably Ethnic Cleansing for the "Rising Sun"

The Filipino will not be dealing with the Spanish or even the American our timeline, they are getting the Japanese (AKA the Warriors people who don't surrender and have think they are Master Race of Asia)

I won't be surprised if the Japanese in TL191 will be more brutal than the Americans in OTL.

I think the other make difference of the Americans and even Spanish in Southern victory, is that the Japanese was sent settlers and business into the Philippines as a Settler Colony for the Empire.

Luzon well definitely have Japanese moving there as a unofficial Six island of Japan ( Besides Formosa being the Fifth island )

Luzon will probably be like Northern Ireland with Majority of the habitants will be Settlers and minority would be Native.

Of course, but I might be some differences with swords, hats and many other distinguish the Filipino collaborators from the Japanese soldier

Last edited:
... I don't believe Japan in the time frame of 1895-1900 would be that especially brutal and heartless to the Philippine population. We don't really see that kind thing until World War 2. While all the colonial powers had there own way of being harsh to the locals, Japan's potential methods would not be unique in terms of what they do. The Americans adopted a concentration camp strategy that was very similar to what the British were doing in South Africa against the Boers for example. Being that the Japanese are more receptive to learn from the west they would likely adopt this tactic to suppress the Filipinos in their war against them. Make no mistake - these are pretty harsh and heavy handed methods already, but they would be out of the ordinary for a typical colonial power. Japan in this timeframe is trying to be seen as an equal to the other European powers and will try to conduct itself as such. Its a slightly different yet noticeable change compared to how they conducted themselves in WW2.

Although the Philippines is a tropical country, its really the will of the Philippine Revolutionary Government to fight and persevere that has to be focused on here. In reality the Filipinos did not fight in a unified coordinated fashion and there were rivalries among generals from different islands and provinces that hampered coordination and trust. Moros (the Muslims of southern islands) did not trust and were at odds with their Catholic Filipino counterparts in the northern islands and the Visayas. On top of that there were a myriad of little cultural and linguistic differences that made it hard for Filipinos to identify with a common struggle. A tagalog speaker from Luzon would be able to understand an Ilocano speaker from the next province over - it would also breed distrust. This is something the Japanese would likely take advantage of and something the Americans did take advantage of in our timeline. Inter-factional rivalry within the Revolutionary Government, the worry of wealthy Filipinos loosing their positions and power post-independence, and in some cases a lack of will from the common soldier to unite with others over new ideas of common nationality instead of tribal and linguistic similarities would mean that the Filipinos face an incredibly difficult fight. The only highly stubborn resistance was in the southern islands of Mindanao where the Moros were - Luzon and the Visayas would come under Japanese control more easily once the Philippine Revolutionary Government is dealt with.

Make no mistake - the Filipinos will put up a fight. But it will be a loosing battle, just like in our timeline.

... I don't believe Japan in the time frame of 1895-1900 would be that especially brutal and heartless to the Philippine population. We don't really see that kind thing until World War 2. While all the colonial powers had there own way of being harsh to the locals, Japan's potential methods would not be unique in terms of what they do. The Americans adopted a concentration camp strategy that was very similar to what the British were doing in South Africa against the Boers for example. Being that the Japanese are more receptive to learn from the west they would likely adopt this tactic to suppress the Filipinos in their war against them. Make no mistake - these are pretty harsh and heavy handed methods already, but they would be out of the ordinary for a typical colonial power. Japan in this timeframe is trying to be seen as an equal to the other European powers and will try to conduct itself as such. Its a slightly different yet noticeable change compared to how they conducted themselves in WW2.

Although the Philippines is a tropical country, its really the will of the Philippine Revolutionary Government to fight and persevere that has to be focused on here. In reality the Filipinos did not fight in a unified coordinated fashion and there were rivalries among generals from different islands and provinces that hampered coordination and trust. Moros (the Muslims of southern islands) did not trust and were at odds with their Catholic Filipino counterparts in the northern islands and the Visayas. On top of that there were a myriad of little cultural and linguistic differences that made it hard for Filipinos to identify with a common struggle. A tagalog speaker from Luzon would be able to understand an Ilocano speaker from the next province over - it would also breed distrust. This is something the Japanese would likely take advantage of and something the Americans did take advantage of in our timeline. Inter-factional rivalry within the Revolutionary Government, the worry of wealthy Filipinos loosing their positions and power post-independence, and in some cases a lack of will from the common soldier to unite with others over new ideas of common nationality instead of tribal and linguistic similarities would mean that the Filipinos face an incredibly difficult fight. The only highly stubborn resistance was in the southern islands of Mindanao where the Moros were - Luzon and the Visayas would come under Japanese control more easily once the Philippine Revolutionary Government is dealt with.

Make no mistake - the Filipinos will put up a fight. But it will be a loosing battle, just like in our timeline.
Idk, but I assume that Japan will support the revolutionary government to show their Pam-Asian rhetoric across Asia.