TL-191 Uniform, weapons and equipment of the Secondary Combatants.

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by pattontank12, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

This all seems pretty reasonable and pretty likely to me! The Mormons would likely use all kinds of captured US equipment and a hodgepodge of smuggled Confederate arms spliced with more homemade guns and bombs. The more modern US equipment would likely be looted off the battlefield and from soldiers as needed. Older equipment would make up the vast majority of the weapons the Mormons would have.

I think the only iffy thing about this would be the Mormons having a makeshift "air force" or "bomber force". Granted, you choose outdated civilian biplanes and and converted crop-dusters, with the total number only reaching to just 10 total aircraft. I think an explanation as to how exactly they come to get them wold be nice. So its not like the Mormons are ever able to field a force capable of ever squaring off against the US Air Force in the skies, which is a good move. I'd say these planes would be used strictly for night attacks to harass the US troops on the ground.

2. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Can you elaborate a bit more?

I'd say its likely, but Canada is a very big and inhospitable place, even for the locals living there. If the US soldiers find it tough to occupy, I'd say its equally tough for the holdouts too. And they can only holdout for so long. Saying that though, it is very likely that former Canadian army soldiers formed guerrilla groups to resist US occupation. Its a given in my opinion. Where they would choose to holdout and resist is another issue.

Odinson likes this.
  3. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Alterwright and Odinson like this.
  4. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Some Minor Details on the Mormon Army

@MarchingThroughGeorgia

When I was going through "Walk in Hell", essentially the period of roughly 1915-1916, there were some small details I picked up on for the Mormons fighting around Ogden.

Apparently their flag does bear the "beehive" symbol on it, prominently displayed it seems, and they actually do have something of a battle cry when going into the attack. When Gordom McSweeny and Paul Mantarakas fight off a Mormon attack after they detonate a mine under American trenches, they can be heard shouting "Come ye Saints!" as they go into the assault. Then McSweeney, doing what he does best, burns them alive.

As guessed, the uniform of the Mormon army seems very slap-dash and informal, some wearing civilian clothes, others with articles of some kind of uniform.

I just thought that would be interesting to note.

5. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

[​IMG]
    Photo of Mormon "junk" tanks during the Second Great War. Lacking proper armored vehicles of their own the Mormon's quickly resorted to converting whatever vehicles they could find into impromptu tanks, with peace time tractors being a popular conversion choice. These tanks were often poorly built and designed thanks to a combination of the Insurgents dismal industrial capacity and rushed nature of their creations. With Union troops often referring to them as piles of junk or scrap.

6. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

Where the hell did you find that photo? Is that supposed to be a real tank?

Alterwright likes this.
  7. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I doubt it, the MG barrels don't look real. Its probably something some farmers or farmers kids threw together.
    It does give me an idea for a home-made scratch-built Mormon barrel.:)

Alterwright, weaverj and Pangur like this.
  8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Killen Straight Tractor converted by Mormons into a make-shift barrel. Gun placement is not a turret and does not rotate, escape hatches on roof.
    The gunner would relay instructions to the driver on where to maneuver, not an ideal system.

WWI-KILLEN-STRAIT-TRACTOR.jpg

This is what the British did with the Killen in WWI:

[​IMG]

Also only armed with an MG and also equipped with an attachment in the front for cutting thru barbed wire.

9. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

Its an old timey version of the Killdozer.

Alpha-King98760 and Alterwright like this.
  10. A Repentant Heretic Well-Known Member

Actually, I am pretty sure that is a memetic Bob Semple tank.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  11. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I think your right.

Alpha-King98760 and Alterwright like this.
  12. Uruk Meatshield of KGS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alterwright and weaverj like this.
  13. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I like the top one, where's it from?
    They're both pretty cool but I can't see the Mormon rebels putting together as advanced as these two.

Odinson and Alterwright like this.
  14. Uruk Meatshield of KGS

They are both NI/Odessa/terror tanks built during the siege of Odessa on agricultural tractor chassis

cortz#9 and Alterwright like this.
  15. Uruk Meatshield of KGS

So how about the all American Disston?

[​IMG]

cortz#9 and Alterwright like this.
  16. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

You know there's also a good chance that the Canadian rebels attempted to build vehicles similar to this to help even the chance against Union and Quebecois forces during the SGW rebellion.

17. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

Yep it certainly is.

Alterwright and cortz#9 like this.
  18. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

A pair of inter Great War era fighters of the Union and CSA. Niether of these aircraft saw action in the air-forces the Union and CSA but saw some action in the air branches of the minor belligerents.

Bee Gee-Fighter 2.jpg
    bee gee-fighter.jpg
    IOTL these were Bee Gee racing planes of the 1930's.

19. Undeadmuffin Muffin want to liiiive !

Maybe one of the first plane for the Republic of Quebec could have been the Curtiss JN-4
    CQc.jpg

OTL, it was used as a trainning plane but with its robust frame, it could be easily modified with skies to operate during winter, add machinegun and even bomb rack.
    ITTL, Quebec could receive a s***load of them on the cheap and operate the majority as fighter-bomber while keeping some in their intended trainning role.

While latter they would buy the american Curtiss P32 Kestral
    [​IMG]
    (https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...u-s-armed-forces.452967/page-16#post-18231710)

the war would make acquisition difficult and since the canadian rebels would not possess an airforce or strong AA, the old but numerous JN-4 would still be used for ground support, straffing or bombing rebels formations.

Odinson, cortz#9, Danthefan28 and 2 others like this.
  20. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Sounds plausible to me.
    :):cool:

Undeadmuffin likes this.