As we who have read Harry T's Southern Victory series know, following the Central Powers' victory in the First Great War, Canada, after 54 years of independence, ceases to exist, coming under an indefinitely-long U.S. military occupation (save for Quebec, which became an independent state aligned with Philadelphia).

This thread is dedicated to talking about anything and everything about post-GW1 Canada.

Hmmm … Canada in Timeline 191.

I’ll have to give some thought to what angle one might approach this subject from, since there’s been a fair bit on the subject over the years.

Still, it’s well worth considering.

Do y'all think that the US would pass another Homestead Act to Americanize the Great White North?
Yeah of course they will.
If Survived hellfire that's is the Trenches, Airbombing from the Johnny reb and Mormon terror bombing at Most.
You're damn sure that they will make a new Homestead Act for American who suffer from the Great War, plus it make Canada into Absorb the U.S much faster

Faeelin

Banned
If Survived hellfire that's is the Trenches, Airbombing from the Johnny reb and Mormon terror bombing at Most.
You're damn sure that they will make a new Homestead Act for American who suffer from the Great War, plus it make Canada into Absorb the U.S much faster

The real neat trick would be to offer Confederate Reds free land in Canada. Two birds in one stone!

I'm not so sure; while Canada is BIG, I'm not sure that it would attract solid homesteaders in the sort of numbers needed to permanently dissolve Canada into the US melting pot - firstly because much of Canada is horribly close to the Arctic (physically and in terms of weather); secondly because the bits best suited to agriculture are the ones most thoroughly worked over during the Great War (and therefore the ones with the largest population of angry, angry Canadians*); thirdly because the political climate in Canada is so febrile and it's legal status unclear enough for Martial Law to be the only sort that runs with any consistency.

In short - Canada has plenty of land, but that's almost the only appealing feature about this part of the world (especially if you're a 'Carpet Bagger' from down south); put another way, the US citizens most likely to be drawn to the greenery at the skirts of this particular volcano are likely to be the sort of individualist, against-the-Government Frontier Living types least likely to help the White House turn former Canadian provinces into future US states.

You know, Alaska types!

*Who don't even need to raise a violent hand to kill a homestead, when simple refusal to do business with or lend assistance to Yankee interlopers might well cause the latter to wither on the vine.

I wonder, if in this timeline, there would be a such thing as a Canadian Government-in-Exile?

I can certainly imagine the British Empire working to maintain one, at least until after the Second Great War - if nothing else, one can imagine a 'Royal Canadian Legion' of exiles being maintained on the establishment of the British Army, per Hexcron's ideas for his own timeline.

I really do wonder how the North-West Mounted Police were perceived at the time of the Conquest and treated throughout the occupation?

I suspect they’re exactly the sort of rough, tough frontier legends TR would really appreciate - and the name is innocuous enough to make it easier for them to carry on almost as per usual than would the case for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police - but the RCMP received it’s name because so many of it’s officers did their bit for King & Country, so one suspects it would have little more than a skeleton staff left after the Great War.

I’m also not certain what the US occupation’s insistence on Martial Law über alles means for native Canadian police services - “Nothing good” would seem the most likely answer, but I’d be surprised if there were absolutely no police forces left in Canada throughout the Occupation.

Another interesting point: Do the US marshals have jurisdiction in Occupied Canada or would the United States feel obliged to put together Ranger units to chase local guerrillas & other criminal inconveniences to the occupation authorities?

On an unrelated note, one wonders if the islands of St Pierre & Miquelon were seized along with Canada?(and presumably Newfoundland).

I don’t think the French were ever directly engaged against the US Army or Navy, so it’s hard to tell whether the USA would go to the trouble of kicking the French off these tiny islands in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence: if they did, I’d bet on their being handed to Quebec as a goodwill gesture.

I’m not sure if Newfoundland would be, though one imagines La Belle Republique would be keen enough to acquire it (if only as a point of pride).

Also, I’m fairly confident that Russian North America/Alaska would be a refuge for Canadians who don’t fancy the Occupation but don’t intend to quit North America (and may well be a hub of espionage as a result, particularly during the Pacific War).