TL-191 Question: How long would it have taken for the CSA to exterminate its black population?

Serious question: assuming it hadn't been defeated in the Second Great War, how long would it have taken the Freedom Party to totally exterminate the black population of the CSA?

Does the CSA win the war or just not go to war against the US? That's going to affect the timetable.

Why would they want to do that? Wouldn't they want to keep the cheap labour? Who would do all the jobs the proud southernors wouldn't do?

Why would they want to do that? Wouldn't they want to keep the cheap labour? Who would do all the jobs the proud southernors wouldn't do?

What do you mean, "why would they do that?". African American Genocide/ Black Population Reduction is one of the final main act plotlines of the TL191 series. There is four (or seven theoritically) whole books on it

My apologies, I have not read these yet. The question interested me because I like the Harry Turtledove books that sound like this - the ones where WW2 and civil war are mashed together.
If these are like those books, I would like to read them too.

My apologies, I have not read these yet. The question interested me because I like the Harry Turtledove books that sound like this - the ones where WW2 and civil war are mashed together.
If these are like those books, I would like to read them too.
Indeed they are.

To answer the original question, probably only another year or at most, two (so, 1945). At the beginning of Featherston's rule, there were ~10mn blacks, and somewhere in IatD says there's only one or two million left. Pinkard only came up with the gas trucks in 1942 IIRC, which means it took about 2yrs to murder 80% of the population.

- BNC

Confederate racism in TL-191 is pretty peculiar, when you really stop to look at it. The race-hatred of Confederate whites seems to have been directed almost exclusively at blacks. Anti-Semitism in the Confederacy of TL-191 seems to have been more a matter of "Jews are clever and out for a buck" than anything else, and I distinctly seem to remember Featherston sharply criticizing the Russians for anti-Semitic pogroms at one point. Confederate white attitudes toward Latinos (non-black ones, anyway) can best be described as "amiably patronizing", and it's very clear that the Featherston regime had Mexicans and Cubans in mind to take over the jobs that were formerly held by blacks once the "population reduction" was done. I don't know how Confederate whites viewed Asians but since Japan was allied, or at least associated, with the CSA I imagine that any racist attitudes were of the "milder" variants demonstrated toward Hispanics and Jews, and that they were very polite to any Japanese who might have visited the Confederacy.

Confederate racism in TL-191 is pretty peculiar, when you really stop to look at it. The race-hatred of Confederate whites seems to have been directed almost exclusively at blacks. Anti-Semitism in the Confederacy of TL-191 seems to have been more a matter of "Jews are clever and out for a buck" than anything else, and I distinctly seem to remember Featherston sharply criticizing the Russians for anti-Semitic pogroms at one point. Confederate white attitudes toward Latinos (non-black ones, anyway) can best be described as "amiably patronizing", and it's very clear that the Featherston regime had Mexicans and Cubans in mind to take over the jobs that were formerly held by blacks once the "population reduction" was done. I don't know how Confederate whites viewed Asians but since Japan was allied, or at least associated, with the CSA I imagine that any racist attitudes were of the "milder" variants demonstrated toward Hispanics and Jews, and that they were very polite to any Japanese who might have visited the Confederacy.

Saul Goldman made one of these observations in one of the books about anti-semetism and blacks....

Saul Goldman made one of these observations in one of the books about anti-semetism and blacks....

And now that I think of it, Featherston himself said on one occasion that he just didn't get anti-Semitism because, from where he stood, Jews were white people just as good as any other white people. It's a great irony - which may have been, in part, quite intentional on Turtledove's part - that a Confederacy that hated blacks so much that it launched a Black Holocaust also had several states dominated by non-white populations - Sequoyah by Native Americans, and Sonora, Chihuahua and Cuba by Hispanics - with elites of their own of those ethnic groups with real political, social and economic power (though still secondary to the white elite groups) and perforce had to play nice with American Indians and Latinos while unleashing all its venom on Negroes.

And now that I think of it, Featherston himself said on one occasion that he just didn't get anti-Semitism because, from where he stood, Jews were white people just as good as any other white people. It's a great irony - which may have been, in part, quite intentional on Turtledove's part - that a Confederacy that hated blacks so much that it launched a Black Holocaust also had several states dominated by non-white populations - Sequoyah by Native Americans, and Sonora, Chihuahua and Cuba by Hispanics - with elites of their own of those ethnic groups with real political, social and economic power (though still secondary to the white elite groups) and perforce had to play nice with American Indians and Latinos while unleashing all its venom on Negroes.

Indeed, the books show that Featherston was not an anti-Semite and had no inclination to be so. I think it's in In At the Death where he comments out loud how proud he is of what he's done to the Confederacy's blacks, which a taken-aback Saul Goldman comments sounded like something the tsar would say about Jews. Featherston is surprised by this, commenting that it doesn't make sense why Russia would do such a thing, because Jews are white.

And indeed, in Return Engagement, one of the first things he thinks of after "Over Open Sights" is finally published is that it also needs a Spanish translation as soon as possible, so that people in Chihuahua, Sonora, and Cuba could read it. All his hatred was for Confederate blacks, while he barely ever seemed to think about other minorities one way or another.