TL-191 Map Thread Redux

I always think the history of Asia will go similar to OTL sans the US adventures in Asia.

Agree. Since Turtledove hasn't change almost anything outside of Americas before First Great War we can assume that history of Asia is more or less same as in OTL at least until Second Great War.

Agree. Since Turtledove hasn't change almost anything outside of Americas before First Great War we can assume that history of Asia is more or less same as in OTL at least until Second Great War.

Given that there doesn't seem to have been a Russo-Japanese War and that defeat in the Great War seems to have resulted in France & the Netherlands yielding up their East Asian dominions to Japan, I'm not sure that's an accurate summation: so far as I can tell the First Great War might more accurately be termed the point where this Asian began to substantially differ from our own (and the Japanese conquest of the Philippines might even mark a still earlier Point of Divergence).

TL-191 2022.png

My headcanon of TL-191, the year is 2022.

Last edited:
Japan get defeated in a war or something? I'm kind of surprised Central Asia is still under Russian control unless they took over any broken off countries.
Japan received the OTL USSR ending, dissolving due to 1989 Asian Spring. Though they started to get out of their economic stagnation. Central Asia is more autonomous, their day to day government work is done by the native population. Though, its foreign policy is dictated by Moscow

1. U.S. would likely take Alaska. and Baja.
2. Idk why Labrador would be its own territory. Some 20-30k people live there in OTL, barely anyone.
3. Why does the US have Malaya?
4. India???
1. In my canon, Alaska (or Alyeska) has a large Russian population and spun off as an independent nation to avoid the overextension of armed forces after the 2SGW. Baja wasn't annexed because the US was mostly focused on the affairs of the occupation of the former CSA.
2. Labrador is in process of referendum, joining Quebec or remaining in the US.
3. That's an autonomous region of the Malayan Federation.
4. After the messy pull out of the British Forces after the 2SGW, it went into a brutal civil war. The major nation in this subcontinent is the Federal Republic of Bharat (similar to OTL Russia) and they have plans for annexing the Dravidian Republic

Japan received the OTL USSR ending, dissolving due to 1989 Asian Spring. Though they started to get out of their economic stagnation.
Well I get with Korea and parts of China being freed , but why the Philippines is Independent from Japan? Philippines has been Controlled and Colonized by Japanese for 89 years!
When Japanese taken over Islands, Philippines have only 7,635,426 in 1903 Census while Japanese has 43,847,000 1900 Census, so they could easily sent Setters from Japan into Philippines (Especially Luzon region)
Not mentioned that Japanese Militarists would Definitely used Philippines has a Based for the Navy and Forced Labor to Militarily and Corporation.
Even if Philippines is Independent, not all parts of it will be free Particularly Northern parts (especially Luzon were many Japanese setters sent to the most)
Like with Northern Ireland in OTL.

Well I get with Korea and parts of China being freed , but why the Philippines is Independent from Japan? Philippines has been Controlled and Colonized by Japanese for 89 years!
When Japanese taken over Islands, Philippines have only 7,635,426 in 1903 Census while Japanese has 43,847,000 1900 Census, so they could easily sent Setters from Japan into Philippines (Especially Luzon region)
Not mentioned that Japanese Militarists would Definitely used Philippines has a Based for the Navy and Forced Labor to Militarily and Corporation.
Even if Philippines is Independent, not all parts of it will be free Particularly Northern parts (especially Luzon were many Japanese setters sent to the most)
Like with Northern Ireland in OTL.
Only thing with the Philippines is that they probably would have been fighting the Japanese for quite some time. I have no doubt that Japan would have been just as brutal and executed equally grotesque things upon the Filipino population as the Americans did in OTL. The difference is that the US walked that back after only a few years and set the country up for independence, Imperial Japan didn't in Turtledove's series (as far as we know). Perhaps Japan would have had colonists emigrate to the islands but even OTL they had issues colonizing Taiwan and Korea, no way people would want to go farther away to a hotter place that was a likely warzone. Not unless Japan managed to kill their way to compliance until the Filipinos saw Japan crumbling from the inside before acting.
Northern Ireland is a decent analogy but not exactly for the reason you mentioned.

Only thing with the Philippines is that they probably would have been fighting the Japanese for quite some time. I have no doubt that Japan would have been just as brutal and executed equally grotesque things upon the Filipino population as the Americans did in OTL. The difference is that the US walked that back after only a few years and set the country up for independence, Imperial Japan didn't in Turtledove's series (as far as we know). Perhaps Japan would have had colonists emigrate to the islands but even OTL they had issues colonizing Taiwan and Korea, no way people would want to go farther away to a hotter place that was a likely warzone. Not unless Japan managed to kill their way to compliance until the Filipinos saw Japan crumbling from the inside before acting.
Northern Ireland is a decent analogy but not exactly for the reason you mentioned.
The reason I mentioned Northern Ireland is that in that Situation, the Brit’s spits Ireland in Two because North were settled by British who don’t want to joined a Independent Ireland .
The Philippines will Most Highly have the Same fate with the North being still part from Japan and South (and Central) will be Independent Nation.

Philippines has been Controlled and Colonized by Japanese for 89 years!
The Spaniards colonized us for 333 years and still retain some of our indigenous cultures and in that time period, we have lots of revolts to the point we can kick them completely if we had external support or were united. Being more brutal than the Spanish might bring a rise in nationalism across the colony.

The Spaniards colonized us for 333 years and still retain some of our indigenous cultures and in that time period, we have lots of revolts to the point we can kick them completely if we had external support or were united. Being more brutal than the Spanish might bring a rise in nationalism across the colony.
Differentiated between Spaniards and Japanese is Distant.
Spain where in the Other side of the World when they colonized Philippines.
Japan Close enough to the Philippines that they would have Far more Influential and Controls than Spain or even with OTL US.

You are right about Filipino will fight for Independence for Country, but you have realize something they are not fighting with Spanish or American anymore.
They are Fighting with Japanese who will Fights like Hell, Never surrendered to anyone and Warrior Culture that drilled to Japanese Soldiers.

Yes they will More of Nationalism across the colony agonist Japanese, but There will still be places like Manila will be Heavily populated by Japanese setters across the Luzon.
If Philippines does get Independent, the relationship with Japan will make US and Confederacy into child play.
Aka Philippines will be like TNO mixed of Omsk and NPA type of Nationalism

P.S it is not a Attack of your People and Cultural in anyway. You people are Badass and will the Japanese cause to make their Chechen, Vietnam and Ukraine war with the Filipino who are now have experience to fight to Japanese for 80s years .
No disrespect, just speculating here

Last edited:
Differentiated between Spaniards and Japanese is Distant.
Spain where in the Other side of the World when they colonized Philippines.
Japan Close enough to the Philippines that they would have Far more Influential and Controls than Spain or even with OTL US.

You are right about Filipino will fight for Independence for Country, but you have realize something they are not fighting with Spanish or American anymore.
They are Fighting with Japanese who will Fights like Hell, Never surrendered to anyone and Warrior Culture that drilled to Japanese Soldiers.

Yes they will More of Nationalism across the colony agonist Japanese, but There will still be places like Manila will be Heavily populated by Japanese setters across the Luzon.
If Philippines does get Independent, the relationship with Japan will make US and Confederacy into child play. Aka Philippines will be like TNO mixed of Omsk and NPA type of Nationalism

P.S it is not a Attack of your People and Cultural in anyway. You people are Badass and will the Japanese cause to make their Chechen, Vietnam and Ukraine war with the Filipino who are now have experience to fight to Japanese for 80s years .
No disrespect, just speculating here
Well, one coud assume what will happen. We have our own speculations.

I have a better possibility for a map!

Remember there was Before and After the Holocaust with a Jewish population mostly gone
Will people someone make a Population Reduction equivalent of that?

Here’s a thought - has any map maker considered what a Timeline 191 idea of a ‘Northern Victory’ timeline map might look like? (I have this mental image of US speculative fiction being able to imagine a long Cold War between the US & the British Empire, but not the ‘Special Relationship’ as it has played out in our own history; also that the Great War might have seen the USA align with France & Russia against Germany & Great Britain).

Here’s a thought - has any map maker considered what a Timeline 191 idea of a ‘Northern Victory’ timeline map might look like? (I have this mental image of US speculative fiction being able to imagine a long Cold War between the US & the British Empire, but not the ‘Special Relationship’ as it has played out in our own history; also that the Great War might have seen the USA align with France & Russia against Germany & Great Britain).
I bet they would portrait as Perfect world that should happened