TL 191 HOI4 Mod Update and Discussion Thread

New portrait for Jake Featherston
Portrait_CSA_Jake_Featherston.png

Deleted member 107125

From the lead dev, @Hexcron
Some people have expressed confusion at the anti-freedom party groups in the CSA. For example; some have asked why the Richmond Clique Junta is the most pro-black path. To answer these questions, we asked an anonymous supporter of each major group their opinions on various subjects.

Question: What are your opinions on rights for blacks?
Richmond Clique Supporter: “If they can shoot Yankees they must be good for something”
Aristocratic Whig Supporter: “The current state of affairs in regards to that race is part of their natural progression towards civilisation”
Toryite Whig Supporter: “The Snake may have a bit of a point on this one...”
Liberal RadLib Supporter: “There are more important issues, but black labour restrictions should be lifted”
Radical RadLib Supporter: “Everyone talks about blacks, but no one seems to be talking about the problems faced by Mexicans and Cubans...”
Longist Supporter: Sings Every Man A King

Question: What are your opinions on votes for women?
Richmond Clique Supporter: “All votes should be equally worthless”
Aristocratic Whig Supporter: “Our southern women should deserve the vote indeed”
Toryite Whig Supporter: “Votes for women should be a priority for the next administration”
Liberal RadLib Supporter: “Women should be given the vote and equally few rights in the workplace”
Radical RadLib Supporter: “Votes for women should be a priority for this administration”

Question: What are your opinions on the free market?
Richmond Clique Supporter: “Depends on how many guns it can make”
Aristocratic Whig Supporter: “Depends on how much money we make”
Toryite Whig Supporter: “There should be some regulation, but not too much”
Liberal RadLib Supporter: Violently masturbates
Radical RadLib Supporter: “The market must serve the people first”

Question: What are your opinions on the United States?
Richmond Clique Supporter: Grabs rifle
Aristocratic Whig Supporter: Grabs rifle
Toryite Whig Supporter: Grabs rifle
Liberal RadLib Supporter: “Maybe we should talk to them first?”
Radical RadLib Supporter: Grabs rifle
Longist Supporter: Sings Every Man A King and grabs rifle

I don’t think Every Man a King answers the women’s issue, does it?

I don’t think Every Man a King answers the women’s issue, does it?

There is a version of the song that changes it to:

"Every man a King,
Every Girl a Queen!
For you can be a millionarie!

But there is something belonging to others,
There is enought for all people to share!"

Last edited:
What about the parts of other Confederate states ceded to the Union (Sonora, Arkansas, and Virginia)? I don't see them represented in the referendums.

New portrait for Jake Featherston
Portrait_CSA_Jake_Featherston.png
This face fits much better for Featherston since he was apparently older than Hitler, but why do people assume that Featherston had no facial hair? does the novel mentions anything?

Since Hitler forever ruined the Toothbrush mustache then I assumed that Featherston would also have some easily identifiable facial hair that would become taboo and demonized in TL191 culture after Great War II, similar to Davis' small chin beard, what do you think?
52d3506f7dba48e554032ffbae84a336--confederate-states-of-america-hemp-oil.jpg

This face fits much better for Featherston since he was apparently older than Hitler, but why do people assume that Featherston had no facial hair? does the novel mentions anything?

Since Hitler forever ruined the Toothbrush mustache then I assumed that Featherston would also have some easily identifiable facial hair that would become taboo and demonized in TL191 culture after Great War II, similar to Davis' small chin beard, what do you think?
52d3506f7dba48e554032ffbae84a336--confederate-states-of-america-hemp-oil.jpg
I can imagine him gaining something like that later on in the war, but prewar and early war I imagined him being clean-shaven. My headcanon was that Jake had a specific haircut that would forever become associated with him during and/or after the war.

I can imagine him gaining something like that later on in the war, but prewar and early war I imagined him being clean-shaven. My headcanon was that Jake had a specific haircut that would forever become associated with him during and/or after the war.
Dictators tend to have iconic facial hair rather than haircuts.

Also, what historical person is that Featherston picture modeled upon?

there is very little content, some of the events are missing descriptive text (especially during and after the war), I don't understand how the military coup mechanic for the USA works, some of the Presidents are blatantly bad ideas, and I'm not super on board with hewing so close to Turtledove's novels, but as a basic setup the North America stuff isn't bad.

What's good:
--Up until the war breaks out, everything works fine.
--USA's party popularity and policy mechanic is really creative and cool. Great work!
--Multiple President possibilities, each with their own trees! Very fun.

What I would like to see:
--More dynamic handling of the Deseret, Canada, and Texas issues, especially considering that the Mormon plotline is by far the worst part of the original books, even compared to Featherston.
--Eliminate or MAJORLY rework the military coup path for the USA, it makes little sense and is a major party pooper. If you want an evil path, have some crazy person like William Dudley Pelley as a fascist demagogue leader.
--Content for non-North American nations.
--WW2 in Europe should kick off immediately if the Entente joins the CSA in the war against the USA, as it is it's just unfair to America.
--More flavor events!

What actively sucks:
--Featherston and his whole shtick as a whole. Notably, it's less godawful here than in the books because there's been significant expansion of the Freedom Party as an organization (albeit mostly by breaking it down on very Nazi-esque internal faction lines), but it still bears mentioning that Featherston is a boring and shitty villain.
--Hoover being POTUS, but again, this is a book problem.
--The China situation is mostly ripped off of the Kaiserreich china rework, and needs some love to make it more unique. However, the Republican civil war is an interesting feature.
--Missing text for late-game events.
--Confederate democratic paths. I get that the idea that the CSA was a democracy comes from the books, where it's just as absurd, but these paths should not be possible without violent left-wing revolution against an oligarchic regime.

-Confederate democratic paths. I get that the idea that the CSA was a democracy comes from the books, where it's just as absurd, but these paths should not be possible without violent left-wing revolution against an oligarchic regime.

I don't think so, we have events like the 1930 brazilian revolution and the 1943 argentinian coup that ended oligarchic regimes and eventually led to a democracy happening, and in Brazil it was a liberal revolution and in Argentina, on the weirdest way possible, a far right military coup

I mean, I agree with everything you said, but you don't need to make a left winger revolution to create a democracy

Military coup stuff is currently a bit broken, it shouldn't fire during the war, only if its lost. It will be fixed in the bugfix coming later today. The US will be receiving a full rework in 0.2 as well, with more in-depth paths.
We are sticking to our policy of total adherence to canon though.

So, something I noticed and found strange is that according to the description I posted above and the PR, the aristocratic whigs are less racist than the liberal whigs

But how? The aristocrats are even authoritarian, while the liberal whigs are conservative, how the old landowners can be less racist than the average conservative?

I asked Hexcron (the mod owner) about it, and this is his explanation

"Aristocratic Whigs are...weird
They kinda think of themselves as less racist than they actually are
They are sort of paternalistic on race
Aristocratic Whigs are a sort of "uptight" racist
Wheras the Liberal Whigs are a more vulgar sort of racist"

Then I commented
"Got it, like,
Aristocrat Whig "I support segregation, there is a place for everyone, even for blacks, and their place is separated from us, but equal"
Liberal Whig "Those damn blacks, I hope they stay away""
He replied one more time
"Yeah, sorta, aristocrat whigs seems themselves as a "civilising" force"

Faeelin

Banned
Fun mod, but a *lot* of bugs in the USA path in particular. And the Entente power have a habit of shipping all their troops to America, which means Germany goes YOLO.