TL 191 HOI4 Mod Update and Discussion Thread

Corrected the politics and some grammar
bra_teaser.png

Some people have expressed confusion at the brazilian political parties. To answer these questions, we asked an anonymous supporter of each major group their opinions on various subjects.

Question: What are your opinions on rights for blacks?
Conservative: "Racism? Never saw it, I got a black friend, also blacks are nice people just like us so they don't need affirmative actions"
Liberal: "Ah yes, the blacks, well, racism is banned, I also got a black friend, so like, if a black person is poor, they should work to stop being poor, right?"
Labour: “There are some minor reforms that shall help afrobrazilians, nothing too radical since we are the most perfect interracial society in history.”
Patrinovista: *Slams hand on desk* "ARE YOU WHITE, BLACK OR NATIVE? WHY? BECAUSE YOU WAS BORN LIKE THAT! DO.NOT.CONFLICT.WITH.PEOPLE.BASED.ON.RACE! WE ARE THE MOST PERFECT INTERRACIAL SOCIETY AND WE SHOULD BE KEPT AS THAT!
Republican: “I wish I was in Dixie...”

Question: What are your opinions on morality?
Conservative: “We need to keep our society moral, so the "Moral rules" shall stay.” - then he proceeds to visit a prostitution house while nobody is watching.
Liberal: “Morals? Do you know how much money I could be making by selling these brand new adult films that popped up in the USA?”
Labour: “We need to combine the good christian values of the social justice with the progressive values of tolerance to have a perfect society.”
Patrinovista: “I think the french actionists are not going far enought...”
Republican: “Are you really going to waste my time with such useless things?”

Question: What are your opinions on the free market and economics in general?
Conservative: “We need the minimun of regulations to keep our nation progressing towards the future.”
Liberal: “LOOK, JUST BECAUSE I TAKE THE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES AND ALSO BRIBE POLITICIANS DO NOT MEAN I AM A HYPOCRITE BY SUPPORTING THE FREE MARKET, I'AM JUST SAYING THAT WE ARE WASTING TOO MUCH MONEY ON STUPID WELFARE PROGRAMS WHILE OUR ENTERPREUNERS ARE-”
Labour: “More money should be spent on education and healthcare.”
Patrinovista: "We must follow the values of the catholic social doctrine, there is little space for godless enterpreuners in our holy fatherland."
Republican: “Did you knew that Brazil could have the largest army on the americas? But the government says "Noooooo" and wastes money in other useless stuff.”

Last edited:
Guys, I want every suggestion you can make about Brazil and how it can be presented to make sure I get as unbiased as possible.

The ideologies it can go are Conservative, liberal, socdem (labour) and ultrareactionary, and as a republic it is autdem.

Be free, be open, we want ideas!

Sabre77

Banned
Weird they're doing Argentina and Brazil before Europe, but it's their mod I guess.

The thing about TL-191 is that from beginning to end the story is very much focused on the New World(specifically the USA, CSA, the Canadian territories and to a lesser extent Quebec and Mexico). Europe only really enters in in relation to the US or CSA(for example, a new plane being developed by the Germans and supplied to the US).

Britain gets the most “screen time” out of the European powers allied to the CSA, mainly due to them sending troops to Canada during TL-191’s WW1 and the drunk Royal Navy officer who nearly costs an African American bartender a beating or worse by asking him if he thought the CSA was really “the freest nation on earth”.....in front of a pair of drunken Confederates.

Germany also gets some attention, but again, it’s mostly in passing and in relation to the US; I think it’s either Rommel or Manstein who briefly shows up as a liaison officer and talks with Irving Morrell in one of the WW1 books.

Basically, WW2 in the TL-191 is less an interconnected global conflict and more two major wars— USA vs CSA and Germany and Austria Hungary against Britain, France and Russia, plus the assorted minor powers on each side in both Europe and North America— going on at the same time, with Turtledove only really covering one of them in real detail. Then of course we have Japan, but Japan is so laughably opportunistic that it comes across more as a novice HOI4 player eagerly jumping on every single one of its neighbors to carve off a chunk of territory than an actual country.

Then of course we have Japan, but Japan is so laughably opportunistic that it comes across more as a novice HOI4 player eagerly jumping on every single one of its neighbors to carve off a chunk of territory than an actual country.
To be fair, given how insanely high on racist ultranationalism the Japanese military regime got in OTL, and how they managed to justify attacking America to themselves despite knowing they would be comically outnumbered and outproduced, Turtledove's treatment of Japan is only a slight exaggeration, and much more plausible than the rest of the series. (though that is a pretty low bar)