TL-191: Filling the Gaps

US Senate Elections from 1916-1944
Senate_1916-1944.png
Is brown the Freedom Party chapters in Kentucky and Houston?

Are you going to make maps of Confederate Senate and US House elections?
Confederate Senate maybe, though it’s generally less important and interesting since the Whigs probably don’t lose their majority until 1933, US house maps would be wildly impractical though.

Every US and CS election in Wiki-style maps

Compilation_USA.png
Compilation_CSA.png
Great looking maps! And lord knows I love a good electoral map. However didn't Blackford say that he was the 30th President? That he had accomplished something only 29 people before him had done? That only leaves room for one two term president between Lincoln and Roosevelt unless I'm counting wrong. Am I wrong?

Great looking maps! And lord knows I love a good electoral map. However didn't Blackford say that he was the 30th President? That he had accomplished something only 29 people before him had done? That only leaves room for one two term president between Lincoln and Roosevelt unless I'm counting wrong. Am I wrong?
Correct, however two one-term presidents (Woodward and Hancock) die in office, evening things out. Given that Reed and Mahan are apparently great Presidents, they can’t exactly be one-termers.

Correct, however two one-term presidents (Woodward and Hancock) die in office, evening things out. Given that Reed and Mahan are apparently great Presidents, they can’t exactly be one-termers.
Personally, in my head-cannon, I think Grover Cleveland would still be elected president in 1884, though he'll be a one-termer. Since he rallied against the Republicans' perceived corruption and ineffectiveness, I think the time is even more right for him to come along in TTL's race.

Personally, in my head-cannon, I think Grover Cleveland would still be elected president in 1884, though he'll be a one-termer. Since he rallied against the Republicans' perceived corruption and ineffectiveness, I think the time is even more right for him to come along in TTL's race.
If Cleveland is elected in 1884, another President needs to die to get TR to be 28.

In the aftermath of the Paraguayan War, Paraguay and Argentina couldn't agree on the fate of the Chaco Boreal area between the Río Verde and the main branch of Río Pilcomayo. So the President of the United States: Samuel J. Tilden, was asked to arbitrate. Tilden ultimately awarded the territory to Paraguay in 1878.

SamuelJonesTilden.jpg

Samuel Tilden, President of the United States (1877-1881).

In gratitude, Paraguay renamed a department close to the Argentine border: Presidente Tilden and the department's capital was named Villa Tilden.

Presidente Tilden Department.jpg

Map of the Presidente Tilden Department.

Today, Tilden is looked back on fondly in Paraguay. However, this part of Tilden's Presidency is forgotten by most Americans in later generations. Tilden's decision to remove 12 stars from the American flag and the effects of that decision overshadowed this historical moment.

Last edited:
Thomas Bracket Reed, as it's implied by his tenure in office.
Mahan serving from 1889-1897 (and therefore Reed from 1897 to his death) doesn't make sense though, as Craigo established years ago. The US Navy didn't acquit itself well during the Second Mexican War, and Mahan is unlikely to have become a war hero, so how could he become President so quickly? Sam Carsten's statements about the Nicaraguan Crisis happening when he was in Sweatpants just barely allows for it to happen at the start of a 1897-1905 Mahan term, so it makes far more sense for him to rise as a Reed cabinet member. This is why Reed-Mahan, rather than Mahan-Reed, became the consensus on this thread years ago.

Cleveland is also rather incongruous with the sort of Democrat you'd expect for the start of the Remembrance era. Hancock is transitional as well, but he fits better there than the steadfast Bourbon Democrat Cleveland. After Tilden has already been in office, I doubt the Democrats really need to run on an anti-corruption platform, and I doubt it would really resonate as an issue immediately after the war.

I have an interesting question in regards to this timeline, as what would the Mafia and Organized Crime would be up to during this timeline?
I imagine Bootleggers would still be active in this universe. FDR was never elected, and it was mentioned in the series that some states in the north (such as Iowa, due to one of the POV characters being in Iowa) were dry into the 1940s. The Confederacy had also used Prohibition, although it was never stated which states were dry outside Alabama.

I imagine Bootleggers would still be active in this universe. FDR was never elected, and it was mentioned in the series that some states in the north (such as Iowa, due to one of the POV characters being in Iowa) were dry into the 1940s. The Confederacy had also used Prohibition, although it was never stated which states were dry outside Alabama.
Without prohibition being a national affair, organised crime will not be as prominent as in otl. It will remain more localised and small-scale. The states with prohibition are likely to be smaller and more rural, with smaller bases of consumption, meaning the illicit alcohol trade has reduced profitability compared to a world where New York and Chicago were under those same laws.

I was just watching Knowing Better's video on the Jehovah's Witnesses and I was wondering, what would happen to them or the Bible Student Movement in general in TTL?
I actually have the same question on the other TL191 thread about the Jehovah's witness but no one replied with the answer but I will give you a answer for this question mate.

Regardless of the Bible Student Movement, they will probably be WAY different compared to IOTL as we understand the US fought against the CSA for four wars then there might be good okay with serving the Military.

Also Fun fact: they're originated come from the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 1870s meaning they may be serveral stories about the JW followers fighting aagainst CSA invader.
I have a feeling that their rejection of secular authority would be tolerated even less in TTL's USA then in OTL.
US in TL191 have an mandatory military service to every 18 year old have to serve the army for one year and if somehow the JW are still not okay with serving the Military. . . .

What to say they won't be as tolerant like the Mormons in this America
Would they be seen as traitors, on par with the Mormons?
If they somehow turn out to be the same thing as IOTL then I could see them being traitors and having Anti-JW sentiment spread like Anti-Mormon sentiment but not as severe as the deported into the Sandwich Islands.
Would the US government crack down on their activities?
If they still aren't going to the US military service then I could see them arrested and jails

220px-Lincolns_funeral_on_Pennsy.jpg

State funeral of Abraham Lincoln, April 19, 1885.
Lincoln died of natural causes in 1885. While those who blamed Lincoln for the loss of the War of Succession celebrated, President: Allen G. Thurman paid his respects to the late President and requested national mourning.

Is it possible that there were other axes of the Confederate offensive into Union territory during Operation Blackbeard? Such as an invasion of Sequoia or a New Mexico Offensive to eventually reach Mormon rebels? I haven't read many of the books so I may have missed a lot of information from the series.