TL-191: Filling the Gaps

Also, now I think on it Mr Michael Biehn is a fairly plausible Featherston - at least going by physical descriptions - and is actually Southern born (Alabama, I believe) - though he'd have made an equally good or better Reggie Bartlett.

bguy

Donor
I wonder which of Theodore Roosevelt’s sons would be most likely to put an ‘Unauthorised Squadron’ or an ‘Unauthorised Brigade’ together in order to balance the scales against the CSA in Central or South America (or against Japan in China) during the Interbellum Period?

If memory serves it was Kermit Roosevelt who volunteered to join the British Army, but Quentin Roosevelt who was the family flyboy.

IOTL Archie Roosevelt earned two Silver Stars for his service in the First World War and joined up again in the Second World War (despite having been discharged from the Army with full disability for wounds he suffered in the First World War) where he earned two more Silver Stars (and got wounded again in the exact same spot he was wounded in the First World War.) He would also later in life join the John Birch Society. Thus between his personal bravery, and his far right politics he would seem a natural for that kind of adventurism.

I have been playing around with ideas for a possible article on the Plebiscite War and had been considering using Archie as one of the leaders of the US paramilitaries operating in Sequoyah during the conflict. However, there's nothing saying that Archie couldn't have served in an 'Unauthorized Squadron' or 'Unauthorized Brigade' in the 20's/early 30s and then still ended up fighting in Sequoyah in the mid 30s.

s-l400.jpg

It just struck me that we've been sleeping on the idea of the younger Mr William Sadler as a potential Jake Featherston (casting call or reference for artists) and I'm ashamed it took me this long to realise it - just look at those cheekbones!
While he might well be a good actor to play Featherston, I still think that the Oakie on the audiobook cover of TCCH is best as a reference for what he looked like.
57d7065e79138.png

The fact that he's the only source directly connected to the books in any way makes me prefer it, and there's also the fact that the photo was made at just the right period that, if you so choose, you could imagine that had the photographer asked for this man's name, he would have gotten the answer "Jake Featherston".

Here he is in uniform, just to complete things.
Featherston_Photo.png

MaxGerke01

Banned
While he might well be a good actor to play Featherston, I still think that the Oakie on the audiobook cover of TCCH is best as a reference for what he looked like.
57d7065e79138.png

The fact that he's the only source directly connected to the books in any way makes me prefer it, and there's also the fact that the photo was made at just the right period that, if you so choose, you could imagine that had the photographer asked for this man's name, he would have gotten the answer "Jake Featherston".

View attachment 725351
These two have always looked a little too nice/normal for ole Jake to me-maybe a cross between this guy and Goebbels ?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what would’ve happened if Forrest III’s coup was successful? In my opinion, I think the CSA would’ve called for a white peace, ceding Tennessee and more of northern Virginia while also handing over the Freedomites most responsible for the genocide. I think the CSA would’ve then drifted into being a US puppet controlled by the old Whig machine, but this could just be dumb thinking

57d7065e79138.png

View attachment 725351

I really like the shades! (Very “**** you, I have people to kill”); for some reason I tend to imagine The Snake with a high-and-tight (Also a voice like the late, great R. Lee Ermey, because who could possibly be better at ranting like Dixie Fried Hitler while being able to project Genuine Menace, NCO-style?).

I do suspect that Featherston would die of shame if he were caught wearing officer’s stars on his shoulders - he seems to have preferred something more like a sergeant’s uniform (perhaps he’d wear a sergeant’s stripes in metal on his shoulders instead; unique but still ‘NCO’ more than ‘brass’).

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what would’ve happened if Forrest III’s coup was successful? In my opinion, I think the CSA would’ve called for a white peace, ceding Tennessee and more of northern Virginia while also handing over the Freedomites most responsible for the genocide. I think the CSA would’ve then drifted into being a US puppet controlled by the old Whig machine, but this could just be dumb thinking

I think this is exactly what Forrest et al wanted to happen, but it’s far from certain the USA would have gone along with their plans by this point in the war.

It just struck me that it might be fun to depict Timeline 191 Superman wearing a three-pointed ‘S’ shield as a visual shorthand for this being an alternate universe vision of Big Blue - perhaps with a ‘high and tight’ haircut instead of the classic spit curl?

Think ‘Superior Man’ from RED SON, without the obnoxious personality (Also with ‘S’ rather than ‘US’).

I really like the shades! (Very “**** you, I have people to kill”);
Funny enough, they were a choice almost entirely dictated by practicality; the original source's eyes are way too dark to colour properly.
for some reason I tend to imagine The Snake with a high-and-tight (Also a voice like the late, great R. Lee Ermey, because who could possibly be better at ranting like Dixie Fried Hitler while being able to project Genuine Menace, NCO-style?).
Can't say I thought of him the same way, but I recall for the mod we're thinking of using some of the audiobook passages as radio speeches.
I do suspect that Featherston would die of shame if he were caught wearing officer’s stars on his shoulders - he seems to have preferred something more like a sergeant’s uniform (perhaps he’d wear a sergeant’s stripes in metal on his shoulders instead; unique but still ‘NCO’ more than ‘brass’).
I recall that he wore an FPG uniform most often, and that Pinkard in his FPG uniform often got confused with a General. I'd resume Featherston would be the nominal head or at least highest ranked of the organisation, hence the stars.

I think this is exactly what Forrest et al wanted to happen, but it’s far from certain the USA would have gone along with their plans by this point in the war.
The allies historically would not have changed their demands for unconditional surrender if Valkyrie somehow succeeded, I doubt it'd be different here.

Hexcron, having seen your Featherston and looked over your Willy Knight & Ferd Koenig on your HOI mod thread, might I please ask if you’ve ever illustrated a Donald Partridge? (I tend to imagine him as a sort of 1940s Dan Quayle with a ginger combover* and an “Oh God, oh God, I’m gonna die - quick, make ‘em laugh so they’re too distracted to kill me in the next five minutes!” expression).

*Yes, this is a nod to some other Donald; no, it’s not really meant as a political statement, just as a suitably absurd flourish to add to a character mostly depicted as comic relief (Although I rather like the idea that while Partridge is an absurd figure he’s also much, much less blatantly deluded and/or Evil than the rest of Featherston’s cabinet).

Hexcron, having seen your Featherston and looked over your Willy Knight & Ferd Koenig on your HOI mod thread, might I please ask if you’ve ever illustrated a Donald Partridge? (I tend to imagine him as a sort of 1940s Dan Quayle with a ginger combover* and an “Oh God, oh God, I’m gonna die - quick, make ‘em laugh so they’re too distracted to kill me in the next five minutes!” expression).

*Yes, this is a nod to some other Donald; no, it’s not really meant as a political statement, just as a suitably absurd flourish to add to a character mostly depicted as comic relief (Although I rather like the idea that while Partridge is an absurd figure he’s also much, much less blatantly deluded and/or Evil than the rest of Featherston’s cabinet).
I've been planning on getting onto him today actually, I'll post the results as soon as I can.

I’ve been thinking recently that it might be fun to make a recurring joke in Fan Fiction for SOUTHERN VICTORY out of the notion that all mentions of baseball are completely comprehensible to persons from OUR timeline, but complete gibberish to most locals who aren’t New England to the bone: might I please ask if someone better versed in things baseball than myself would care to suggest a set-up that would facilitate this idea?

Crosspost from "After the End":
As of writing this, I recently watched the latest episode of World War Two in Real Time's "Out of the Foxholes", in which Indy Neidell stated that the persecution of Freemasons was none more severe than in France during the Holocaust. With France having a much more overt, reactionary Catholic, ultramontanist stance ITTL under the Action Française (presumably so), is persecution just as, if not more, severe than IOTL? Like IOTL as well, the spread of a "Judeo-Masonic conspiracy" will no doubt flourish.

Last edited:
Oh, a thought on sports ITTL: With Lou Gehrig playing football instead of baseball ITTL, would that mean he dies earlier than IOTL from his eponymous disease?

MaxGerke01

Banned
I’ve been thinking recently that it might be fun to make a recurring joke in Fan Fiction for SOUTHERN VICTORY out of the notion that all mentions of baseball are completely comprehensible to persons from OUR timeline, but complete gibberish to most locals who aren’t New England to the bone: might I please ask if someone better versed in things baseball than myself would care to suggest a set-up that would facilitate this idea?
When did baseball start spreading outside of New England OTL ? If was prior to the Civil War it likely goes into the CSA as well but if it was after it stays in the North and perhaps mostly in New England ?

According to Doctor Turtledove, Baseball in T-191 is mostly a New England pastime - one of the more subtle ways in which the SOUTHERN VICTORY timeline is most definitely not North America at it's best.

It occurred to me in the past few days that while the personality of Daniel MacArthur is very similar to that of his brother from another mother Douglas MacArthur his life story is going to be quite different even in a variant where his father does not die ahead of schedule (If nothing else he’s definitely not born on a US army base in Arkansas); I’m going to give this some thought and there may even be an article in the subject.

Here's a question - if West Point were to challenge the Confederate States to a college (gridiron) football match, would the Citadel and the Virginia Military Institute draw straws for the honour of facing their northern counterparts or would there have to be a play-off? (Who knows, perhaps the sheer ferocity of the competition for that privilege would persuade the Authorities to stick with an Annapolis Vs Mobile match - there being only two official naval academies in the Twin Republics - assuming this were intended to be a friendly).

Now I have the rather sad mental image of this match being played very shortly before these two sets of young men are tasked to kill each other, because Timeline 191 can't let us have Nice Things. So help me, I'm tempted to start writing Fan Fiction for Sir Winston Churchill's IF LEE HAD NOT WON THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG simply so that I can have a timeline where everyone in the English Speaking World doesn't try to murder everyone else every twenty years or so!

Last edited: