TL-191: Filling the Gaps

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Craigo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. vesica Well-Known Member

This is what I mean though, what if the Army fights about losing the AAF, i would imagine the Chief of the General Staff and Chief of Naval Staff would be having outright fights with President Dewey over this

2. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

The AAF guys will be chomping at the bit to become independent, but Naval Aviation is something they wouldn't want to touch. IOTL, when the USAF became an independent force in 1947, they never mentioned taking over Naval Aviation-either carrier- or land-based (Maritime patrol/ASW, Search and Rescue, Recon, etc.).

3. vesica Well-Known Member

But it isnt specified whether the pilots were AAF just attached to the Carrier or are directly under the Navy. They started flying Wright Fighting Scouts which implies they would be AAF. It's why I'm curious.

However I agree with your assessment. The Navy didnt play as decisive a role in GW2 since it wasnt doing insane operations like in OTL WW2, so the AAF probably wouldnt care about the Navy, considered them a poorer relation

4. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

When Sam Carsten was on the Remembrance, the pilots were all Navy officers. No reason that would change, even after GW 2 ended.

vesica and Nivek like this.
  5. vesica Well-Known Member

didnt know that had been mentioned... good to know!

6. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

It's not Chief of Naval Staff, it's Chief of Naval Operations, btw. The CNO (maybe Ernie King TTL, maybe someone else) would fight tooth and nail to keep all naval aviation, whether land-based or carrier-based, as part of the Navy.

7. vesica Well-Known Member

That's the unfortunate part of TL-191 that the CNO (thanks for the correction ;) ) was never specified. The closest to a Naval leader that was mentioned was Admiral Dewey who had command of the Pacific Fleet during the capture of the Sandwich islands and a number of Rear Admirals that were mentioned running around (Rear Admiral Fiske who commanded the Dakota Task Force) and Rear Admiral Halsey who was commander of the Naval District that was going to help out MacArthur.

Ernie King would definitely be one possibility and I do agree given thought that considering how critical Carrier aircraft were in the Pacific and the Atlantic to a lesser extent (scaring off the Royal Navy Fleet that beat the High Seas Fleet in 43, he wouldn't want to give up his best offensive asset without a fight.

8. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

And President Dewey would make sure the CNO got his way. The Navy did its part in the war, and did it well.

Incidentally, the Riverine Navy that was almost put out of business thanks to air power during the war would stay on after. Occupation patrols in the former Confederacy, you know.