TL-191: Filling the Gaps

Weren’t they particularly strong in the formerly Mexican states? I kind of imagine that they were somewhat analogous to Tammany Democrats in the US—‘jobs for votes’ among the Hispanophone population, allied with those segments of mainstream Confederate society whose wealth wasn’t tied up in plantations (that is, Confederate merchants and factory owners). Maybe some members of a purely tribalistic political bent quietly discuss enfranchising blacks so they can have a guaranteed-loyal voting bloc.

They'd be the party to likely support that perhaps. Probably why so many party members were targeted by Freedomites in their rise to power... though they went after Whigs just as hard too.

At least in the antebellum South, the merchants and bankers tended to be politically aligned with the plantation owners, thus in TL-191 I would expect the merchants to be mostly Whigs.

I imagine the Radical Liberals as being a disparate coalition of three major components. The Radicals (mostly poor white farmers who would be akin to OTL’s Populists), the Liberals (mostly urban progressives who are good government types and the main advocates for better relations with the US and the Confederate black population), and the Patrons (the wealthy land owners from the Spanish speaking states. Men who would be Whigs if not for the Whigs being white supremacists.)

This factional divide also helps explain why the Rad Libs are fairly ineffective as an opposition party because their own factions would be frequently at cross-purposes with one another. The Radicals for instance probably want higher taxes on plantation owners to pay for re-distributive social programs (a policy which would be hated by the Patrons, since they would have to pay those higher taxes.) The Liberals probably favor equality for the Confederate black population but can’t move to far in that direction without alienating the Radicals (who while economically progressive tend to be racially regressive). And the Patrons probably want as much pork as possible for their districts (which the Liberals oppose as being wasteful and corrupt.) And thus the Rad Libs end up fighting each other as much as the Whigs.

So basically it seems like a "coalition" party that combines political groups that would otherwise be too small to oppose the other major parties of the Confederacy. However, although they may share the same political opponents, their differences often lead to infighting.

It likely does't help that the Whigs have almost certainly spent more energy hobbling the Rad Libs than they have tackling the Stalwarts (if only because rivalry with the Radical Liberals has force of habit behind it); my suspicion is that the Radical Liberals did so badly between the Wars because they were catching it from BOTH sides, albeit in somewhat different ways (The Whigs simply stacking the deck in their own favour, the Stalwarts handing out more beatings than a boxer with a bad temper).

Its a pity that the RadLibs did not win an election, which I think is a problem with the one-party state Confederacy in TL191.

Would have loved to have seen them win in 1915/1916, have them send out Peace Feelers, be rejected, then bring in black soldiers/recruits - only to result in the Red Rebellion, obviously - therefore they lose the war in 1917, be blamed for everything that follows, thus the whigs win in 1922.

I mean if the RadLibs were elected because they were a coalition of different parties, then fall apart because of said coalition ity could have added an interesting dynamic to Featherston's rise if he could have co-oped some of those parties to his side.

Its a pity that the RadLibs did not win an election, which I think is a problem with the one-party state Confederacy in TL191.

Strictly speaking they DID win elections (hence their presence in Congress & the States), even though they never put a President into the Grey House - though that is rather nitpicking, even if I do say so myself.:)

Would have loved to have seen them win in 1915/1916, have them send out Peace Feelers, be rejected, then bring in black soldiers/recruits - only to result in the Red Rebellion, obviously - therefore they lose the war in 1917, be blamed for everything that follows, thus the whigs win in 1922.

I mean if the RadLibs were elected because they were a coalition of different parties, then fall apart because of said coalition ity could have added an interesting dynamic to Featherston's rise if he could have co-oped some of those parties to his side.

Strictly speaking they DID win elections (hence their presence in Congress & the States), even though they never put a President into the Grey House - though that is rather nitpicking, even if I do say so myself.:)

I'm surprise the RadLibs never got an break in the 1920s following the Great War. For me, the Whigs would have been discredited for the South's defeat by the Union, and maybe even blame for the Red Rebellion. The Freedom Party would still need time to glow. So it seem to be the RadLibs would finally win an election given the chaotic state the Confederacy would be in till the rise of Featherston.

That's a fair point - my guess would be that the Hampton/Mitchel ticket managed to squeak home in 1921 because the opposition was so deeply divided that they simply couldn't put together enough of a majority to unseat their Lords and Masters (this being the Confederate States of America, it's not even impossible that EVERY STATE produced a presidential candidate); it's also far from unlikely that the Whigs spent every possible moment between 1917 and 1921 making it incredibly difficult for any other party to be elected (by means more foul than fair).

bguy

Donor
I'm surprise the RadLibs never got an break in the 1920s following the Great War. For me, the Whigs would have been discredited for the South's defeat by the Union, and maybe even blame for the Red Rebellion. The Freedom Party would still need time to glow. So it seem to be the RadLibs would finally win an election given the chaotic state the Confederacy would be in till the rise of Featherston.

It's been theorized in this thread that the reason Doroteo Arango got the Rad Lib presidential nomination in 1915 was because he was the most prominent Rad Lib politician that was in favor of aggressively prosecuting the war. And certainly IOTL some of the most prominent Southern populists (men like Thomas Watson and James Vardaman), were strongly opposed to US involvement in WW1. If those same men (who would presumably be among the leaders of the Rad Libs in TL-191) were similarly opposed to Confederate involvement in the First Great War then that could have done a lot of damage to the Rad Lib brand. (IOTL Watson and Vardaman opposed conscription and the Espionage and Sedition Acts. If they and other prominent Rad Libs opposed similar war measures in TL-191 that could easily get the party branded at best as being weak and at worst as being treasonous.)

Ainsworth Layne's personal decency in campaigning for racial reconciliation also probably really hurt the Rad Libs in 1921 since it meant Featherston could use appeals to race hatred to win over poor white voters who might otherwise have been receptive to Rad Lib economic policies.

I wanted to put this on Alterwright's Rivals thread, but since it only covers the early 20th Century, I decided that it should be more accurately belong in the "Filling the Gaps" thread.

Basically, if you were ever curious about a plausible growing influence of the Confederacy in the Caribbean and/or Central America, this is something worth watching.

I wanted to put this on Alterwright's Rivals thread, but since it only covers the early 20th Century, I decided that it should be more accurately belong in the "Filling the Gaps" thread.

Basically, if you were ever curious about a plausible growing influence of the Confederacy in the Caribbean and/or Central America, this is something worth watching.

Watched that just this afternoon. Cody has a cool channel.

Oh yeah! You can put it up there on the thread, its very relevant to the Caribbean honestly and to possible Confederate ambitions in the area.

Either way the Golden Circle is an interesting look into what the South had in mind for Latin America and Tl-191 certainly allows them to accomplish this to some degree.

Pittsburgh At Peace: 1935-1941

Before the Second Great War, Pittsburgh was one of the United States' largest cities, with a bustling metropolitan population centered around industrial jobs. It accounted for a significant portion of the United States' steel output and attracted European immigrants over the decades for the employment opportunities offered in working in the steel industry. Small black communities were dotted across the city, usually centered around the steel factories, as the few black workers who could manage to find jobs usually found work as unskilled laborers in the steel mills. The non-hispanic white population still made up a significant portion of the city's demographics.

Manufacturing was always a key to the growth of Pittsburgh and the surrounding region. Railroad lines and well developed paved roads were built into the city along both rivers, increasing transportation access to important markets. Downtown Pittsburgh was the sprawling heart of the city, with financial offices, businesses, and entertainment centers lighting up the skyline.

Air pollution was always major health concern for residents of the city and clouds of smog from the factories was not an uncommon sight. As the war began in ernest and factory output in Pittsburgh climbed dramatically to meet the needs of the war, the air quality took a significant dive. Even as Confederate forces closed in, fighting their way into the city itself as Confederate bombers pounded the industrial centers, smog and smoke from the factories and numerous fires caused by bombing became a major hindrance for Confederate aerial reconnaissance of the area.

View attachment 448974

^^^ --- Downtown Pittsburgh skyline, 1930s.

View attachment 448975

^^^ --- A view of "The Point" and Central Downtown Business Area, 1930s. The tall buildings in this area were immediately identified by both sides as potential strategic points of interest as well as advantageous observation points. Snipers and small squads brave enough to climb these tall buildings risked much as artillery and air strikes often bombarded these areas if they could not be taken. A few of the tallest buildings in Pittsburgh were completely flattened by the end of the fighting.

View attachment 448978

^^^ --- Downtown Pittsburgh on a foggy and rainy day, 1930s

View attachment 448979

^^^ --- Pittsburgh on smoggy "day", 1930s. From the images here, it is hard to tell whether it night or day, or even if there is fog or smog in the air.

View attachment 448982

^^^ --- Two men have a smoke break on a busy corner in Downtown Pittsburgh, 1930s. Again, it is hard to tell whether there is fog or smog in the air.

View attachment 448983

^^^ --- On sunny days when the smog was minimal, life in Pittsburgh continued as usual, with people going about their busy daily lives. Even during the night, Downtown was usually bustling with activity. During the Battle of Pittsburgh, downtown was completely devastated.

View attachment 448984

^^^ --- Away from the downtown area, wide streets sporting many shops, restaurants, and convenience stores were open to the public. During the Battle of Pittsburgh, streets like this were often devastated and the twisted wreckage of neon signs, cars, and telephone lines added a hazardous and surreal aspect to the fighting.

View attachment 448986

^^^ --- Slums of Pittsburgh. It was in these areas of the city that some of the most bitter fighting occurred between US and CS forces. They were also home to city's small black population. Reports from the fighting suggest that small groups of "camouflaged death-squads" often combed these areas and summarily executed the few black residents that remained. View attachment 448994

^^^ --- Steel factory in Pittsburgh. Even as fighting engulfed the city, with factories routinely bombed by Confederates, work inside the factories continued on, with tanks, shells, bullets, and anything essential for the war effort were rolled off the assembly lines straight into the fighting. With tactical and strategic importance not lost on the Confederates, skirmishes and battles over the numerous factories around the city were often some of the bloodiest fighting in the battle, with steel-workers and US soldiers often barricading these areas and turning them into makeshift fortresses of twisted steel and smoke.

Indeed! Pittsburgh's city layout during this time is vastly different than what we see in Stalingrad. Or Tsaritsyn in TL-191's case.

View attachment 449065

View attachment 449066

View attachment 449067

^^^ --- These are some of the few decent pictures I found of Stalingrad before the battle took place, possibly taken in the 1930s. As you can see the skyline of the city is fairly low and many buildings tend to be around the same general height, with with streets and avenues.

View attachment 449068

^^^ --- Stalingrad, by the 1940s, as we all know, was almost entirely on one side of the Volga River. This acted as a kind of natural barrier to the Germans in a way. It is also a long and fairly narrow city, with the Volga being a wide river to cross.

View attachment 449069

^^^ --- Pittsburgh, by comparison, is very different. The skyline itself is much higher, with taller buildings and a potentially more dense and urbanized environment than Stalingrad. The taller building downtown, for example, add an additional layer of urban warfare, with battles that may occur over more floors. The three rivers that converge in one place effectively split the city into three "clusters". The rivers themselves in this area are fairly narrow and are potentially easier to cross, but that adds a level of complexity and danger for the attacker and defender. Bridges across the rivers may be blown or fought over and the clustered nature of the city means that the Yankees need to defend in a different way as well.

@Allochronian @Historyman 14 @cortz#9 @MarchingThroughGeorgia

Another note to consider is this - Pittsburgh, unlike Stalingrad, is quite hilly and there are many hills and plateaus scattered across the city and the surrounding area that have buildings and homes built on top of them or along the slopes. While Stalingrad may have had Mameyev Kurgan as its defining geographical high-ground, Pittsburgh would have multiple potentially strategic points on both the Northside and Southside in particular, with many of them having good views of the Downtown area itself - good ground for observation and spotting.

VVV --- Below are some pictures of modern-day Volgograd (Formerly Stalingrad and Tsaritsyn)

View attachment 449155

View attachment 449160

^^^ --- As you can see, the terrain is generally flat and featureless, owing to the fact that city sits right in the middle of the Eurasian Steppe --- good country for tank battles and maneuver warfare.

By comparison Pittsburgh sits at the junction of three major rivers in a region defined by low lying plateaus, hills, and forests. In fact Western Pennsylvania as a whole is somewhat defined by its difference to Eastern Pennsylvania, owing to the fact that the Appalachian Mountains to the east create a significant and rather hilly divide.

View attachment 449162

^^^ --- Western Pennsylvania, The Allegheny Plateau region, of which Pittsburgh is part of. Very scenic in peace time, but during a war can be good terrain for defense.

Pittsburgh itself, and especially some of its neighborhoods, are defined by its hills. In fact there are sections of the city where steps entirely replace roads, with sections of steps classified by the city as streets.

View attachment 449167
View attachment 449168

On the Southside of Pittsburgh for example you have:

Duquesne Heights / Mt. Washington:

View attachment 449151

View attachment 449150

^^^ --- Some of the most scenic views of Pittsburgh are taken here. If the Confederates and Yankees are going to fight for the city, then the Duquesne Heights and the adjacent Mt. Washington would be one of its most strategic points. I dare say it could be TL-191's version of Mameyev Kurgan, but many of the hills here in Pittsburgh qualify as being important too. It would have a commanding view of the Downtown area and the Northside, overlooking The Point itself, the very intersection of the three rivers that divide the city, as well as overlooking any potential crossing points into Downtown.

Southside Slopes:

View attachment 449169

^^^ --- Another commanding view of the city from the south-side. Overlooking a stretch of the Monongahela River, this would be another potentially strategic point where Confederates and Yankees would fight over. If the Yankees lost this area, they'd be exposed defending the Southside Flats area.

On the Northside of Pittsburgh for example, you have:

Spring Hill - St. John's Lutheran Cemetery:

View attachment 449173

^^^ --- On the Northside you have one of several hills overlooking the Downtown area and the Allegheny River. This was the area in which pockets of Confederate resistance were still capable of fighting even after the official surrender. Along with Troy Hill and other locations, this would be good defensive ground with views of the city looking south. They would make good observation points for artillery strikes into the city, leaving any defending units in the downtown area highly exposed.

The Northside and Southside of Pittsburgh have mostly residential areas, likely to house and accommodate the working class population working in the steel mills here. Two or three story brick houses or wooden residential houses, combined with tenement buildings and and flats, would make up the urban area that the Yankees and Confederates would fight in. Hilly terrain would make up another feature of the fighting with defenders having a distinctive advantage if holed up in buildings. The attackers would literally be fighting an up-hill battle. Tanks would be extremely vulnerable here, exposed to close quarters fighting and hilly terrain. They would likely be used as direct fire support to soften up fortified positions, with ample amounts of infantry support.

I can see mortars and artillery also playing a very key role in the fighting here due to the nature of the terrain. Artillery in the Battle of Stalingrad also played a key role, but here in Pittsburgh the nature of the terrain and the unique layout of the rivers means that artillery support for the Yankees has to be handled very differently --- they don't have the benefit of putting all their artillery on one side of a river, like the Soviets did at Stalingrad. Confederate forces from the east would be attacking in a pincer from the North and South likely on either sides of the Ohio River (with this river dividing their forces potentially), with the primary goal of reaching "The Point" (where all three rivers meet) and the Downtown area. We may be seeing artillery employed in direct fire, point blank action depending on how the Yankees and Confederates use and deploy their guns, but for sure mortars in the battle would come in handy.

And of course grenades, SMGs, Featherston Fizzes, and sniper rifles would be used here as well. In fact the the role of the sniper here may be something a little different and deployed in a different way. The tall buildings in the Downtown area can also be used for artillery spotting and sniping, but would also be prime targets for snipers and artillery as well. Sniping and counter-sniping would take on a different form here since the terrain is different.

Anyway that's what I got to share here.

^^^ --- The above messages here are just some notes about the Battle of Pittsburgh and a commentary on the kind of terrain and the kind of urban environment the battle would offer.

I wanted to put this on Alterwright's Rivals thread, but since it only covers the early 20th Century, I decided that it should be more accurately belong in the "Filling the Gaps" thread

Great video. If you guys are interested one of my favorite books of all time is the Cause of All Nations. Its an international history of the Civil War. Goes heavily into Confederate ambitions in the Caribbean and South America. I cannot recommend this book enough, I felt incredibly proud to be an American after this book. It also made me really hate Napoleon III. f*** that guy.
https://www.amazon.com/Cause-All-Nations-International-American/dp/0465096972

The CSA plans for the Caribbean were heavily intertwined with French ambitions. I imagine that during the 1860s France was the south's biggest benefactor and most important allie. Each supporting each others ambitions in the region. Craigo has a CSA fleet supporting the French blockades against Mexico later in the 1860s. Britain only becomes more important after heavy British financial investments in the CSA cause financiers to lobby the British Foreign Office to protect their investments. Also the threats of Fenian raids into Canada make alling with the CSA more relevant.

After 1871 and the collapse of the Second Empire, I imagine there is a real potential rapprochement between the new Third Republic and the USA. Most revolutionaries and republicans supported the USA over the CSA.The OTL Statue of Liberty's is suppose to symbol the US'S victory over tyranny and reactionary forces in the Civil War. In TL-191 this reproachment never materializes because Doughface Isolationists in the white house and congress blow it and the US public is still very anti-french.

"^^^ --- On the Northside you have one of several hills overlooking the Downtown area and the Allegheny River. This was the area in which pockets of Confederate resistance were still capable of fighting even after the official surrender. Along with Troy Hill and other locations, this would be good defensive ground with views of the city looking south. They would make good observation points for artillery strikes into the city, leaving any defending units in the downtown area highly exposed.

The Northside and Southside of Pittsburgh have mostly residential areas, likely to house and accommodate the working class population working in the steel mills here. Two or three story brick houses or wooden residential houses, combined with tenement buildings and and flats, would make up the urban area that the Yankees and Confederates would fight in. Hilly terrain would make up another feature of the fighting with defenders having a distinctive advantage if holed up in buildings. The attackers would literally be fighting an up-hill battle. Tanks would be extremely vulnerable here, exposed to close quarters fighting and hilly terrain. They would likely be used as direct fire support to soften up fortified positions, with ample amounts of infantry support.

I can see mortars and artillery also playing a very key role in the fighting here due to the nature of the terrain. Artillery in the Battle of Stalingrad also played a key role, but here in Pittsburgh the nature of the terrain and the unique layout of the rivers means that artillery support for the Yankees has to be handled very differently --- they don't have the benefit of putting all their artillery on one side of a river, like the Soviets did at Stalingrad. Confederate forces from the east would be attacking in a pincer from the North and South likely on either sides of the Ohio River (with this river dividing their forces potentially), with the primary goal of reaching "The Point" (where all three rivers meet) and the Downtown area. We may be seeing artillery employed in direct fire, point blank action depending on how the Yankees and Confederates use and deploy their guns, but for sure mortars in the battle would come in handy.

And of course grenades, SMGs, Featherston Fizzes, and sniper rifles would be used here as well. In fact the the role of the sniper here may be something a little different and deployed in a different way. The tall buildings in the Downtown area can also be used for artillery spotting and sniping, but would also be prime targets for snipers and artillery as well. Sniping and counter-sniping would take on a different form here since the terrain is different.

Anyway that's what I got to share here."

Interesting points. I was an artillery officer in the Army and I concur with your points about the difference in position artillery between Pittsburgh and Stalingrad. Mortars were going to incredibly relevant because of the urban environment. A lot of this fighting would be to close to call in artillery. Mortars would be way more responsive to an enemy that is usually less than a hundred meters from you.

I wrote an article three years ago on Third Army, the army that fought against the CSA's army of the Ohio in and around Pittsburgh. If you are interested:

Part I:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tl-191-filling-the-gaps.148857/page-110

Part II:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tl-191-filling-the-gaps.148857/page-111

Interesting points. I was an artillery officer in the Army and I concur with your points about the difference in position artillery between Pittsburgh and Stalingrad. Mortars were going to incredibly relevant because of the urban environment. A lot of this fighting would be to close to call in artillery. Mortars would be way more responsive to an enemy that is usually less than a hundred meters from you.

I wrote an article three years ago on Third Army, the army that fought against the CSA's army of the Ohio in and around Pittsburgh. If you are interested:

Part I:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tl-191-filling-the-gaps.148857/page-110

Part II:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tl-191-filling-the-gaps.148857/page-111

Thank you. Yeah, figured that things would be very different when it came to fighting in Pittsburgh. The shape of the terrain and the close quarters nature of it all would mean that, despite an urban environment like Stalingrad, Pittsburgh would be a totally different beast. I'm no expert on this stuff though, so I attempted to reason, based on other examples, how the fighting in Pittsburgh would go. Perhaps I placed too much emphasis on the heavier guns of the artillery here than I did the mortars which, like you said, would be more responsive as close in-direct fire support for the infantry. Tanks, I think, would still have their use here as well, but would need to cooperate closely with infantry. Perhaps air support would play a major factor here as well of course.

Since you have experience with artillery, how do think they would be used in a battle like Pittsburgh then? I've read examples about guns being used as direct fire support on hardened targets, like what armies did in Aachen, Berlin, and Manila. Do you feel like thy would be employed in a similar fashion, or would they leave that to other things?

Thank you for the links! any information like that is helpful.

Spurred on by Socialist Senator Joseph McCarthy of Wisconsin, who made it a campaign promise to look into the 7th Wisconsin Brigade that suffered catastrophic casualties crossing the French Broad River.[4] Only the testimony of General Morrell saved Clark and his reputation. Clark had argued from the start that his invasion plan was part of a greater strategy of ending the war as quickly as possible. Morrell backed his protege up and his argument that Clark's attack prevented the Confederate government from retreating into the Appalachians and creating an Appalachian redoubt, from which to direct a guerrilla war. This argument saved Clark's reputation and career. It also made life long political enemies of General Morrell and Senator McCarthy.

Just reread these, and I was wondering if you ever elaborated/expanded on this rivalry

Thank you. Yeah, figured that things would be very different when it came to fighting in Pittsburgh. The shape of the terrain and the close quarters nature of it all would mean that, despite an urban environment like Stalingrad, Pittsburgh would be a totally different beast. I'm no expert on this stuff though, so I attempted to reason, based on other examples, how the fighting in Pittsburgh would go. Perhaps I placed too much emphasis on the heavier guns of the artillery here than I did the mortars which, like you said, would be more responsive as close in-direct fire support for the infantry. Tanks, I think, would still have their use here as well, but would need to cooperate closely with infantry. Perhaps air support would play a major factor here as well of course.

Since you have experience with artillery, how do think they would be used in a battle like Pittsburgh then? I've read examples about guns being used as direct fire support on hardened targets, like what armies did in Aachen, Berlin, and Manila. Do you feel like thy would be employed in a similar fashion, or would they leave that to other things?

Thank you for the links! any information like that is helpful.

CS Army would use artillery to flatten big targets. I had a tractor factory and a rail yard as an placed the US tried to hold. CS Army tried to flatten those places but US soldiers still used the wreckage as obstacle. Once the CS army tries to root out the survivors they cannot use artillery. also to take out towers snipers could use.

Also each side would generally fire into parts of the city each other held to disrupt build ups for attacks.

CS Army would use artillery to flatten big targets. I had a tractor factory and a rail yard as an placed the US tried to hold. CS Army tried to flatten those places but US soldiers still used the wreckage as obstacle. Once the CS army tries to root out the survivors they cannot use artillery. also to take out towers snipers could use.

Also each side would generally fire into parts of the city each other held to disrupt build ups for attacks.

Yes, and given the hilly terrain of Pittsburgh much of the high ground would make excellent observation points to view troop build-up points across multiple parts of the city and on the rivers. This would assist the artillery in bombarding areas. I noted that some of Pittsburgh's hills that provided very scenic views in peace time, such as Mt. Washington and the Duquesne Heights on the south-side, would be hotly contested during the war. The north-side too would have high ground potentially well suited for observation and spotting for artillery.

And yes, once an attack actually starts on a position the heavier artillery guns wouldn't be used, for fear of hitting their own men at such close range. As you said for attacks like this the mortar may be of critical use in providing close in-direct fire support. The heavier guns would soften up the targets before an assault.

Interesting thing to note about Pittsburgh is that, unlike Stalingrad, the city is very vertical in nature. Downtown has skyscrapers as high as 44-stories. Artillery would likely be used on them to, as you said, take out sniping positions and observation points. They would be tough nuts to crack with artillery alone I believe.