TL-191: Filling the Gaps

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Craigo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

According to the Turtledove wiki, while Anne Colleton died in said bombing, it was left unclear whether the obliquely mentioned Strom survived the bombing. I like the idea of him surviving, becoming Freedom Party governor of South Carolina, being arrested by the US Army after the war and then committing suicide in 1948 while in US Army custody.

Odinson likes this.
  2. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

How he'd survive that is beyond me.

3. Tiro Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pop in and say how grateful I am for all you fellows keeping this thread going; I keep meaning to post something and one keeps missing the mark!:confounded:

Odinson and Alterwright like this.
  4. Tiro Well-Known Member

For the sake of my self-respect, I did a little thinking and a very minor bit of calculation recently averaging out casualties of the Overland Campaign with those for the Franco-Prussian War (with the Confederates as the Prussians and the USA in place of France), which gave me the figures of 89,821 casualties (killed, wounded or captured) on the Southern side and 112,265 (killed, wounded or captured) on the Northern.

These are very rough figures indeed, but one wanted to post SOMETHING and would also be grateful for any thoughts you Good Fellows may have on the subject.

Alterwright likes this.
  5. Tiro Well-Known Member

I also have some thoughts on the Big Brawl between the Royal Navy and the German High Seas Fleet during 2GW, which I'm not sure have been previously posted here - I shall see if one can come up with them (in brief one sees this clash as less a Death Ride and more a shell game that ended up with the Germans getting their pea crushed, as it were).:)

TITUP and Alterwright like this.
  6. FanOfHistory Banned

I assume you're talking about Lee's first invasion of the North, you know the campaign that ended in Antietam.

7. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Oh! Well that sounds exciting! Hey, if you ever do get around to making that, I got a thread specifically catered to that kind of thing for TL-191!

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...offensives-across-the-world-1861-1944.451967/

^^^ --- This one here! You can put there if you like, or here doesn't matter to me. I'm shamelessly promoting!

I actually did an alternate "Battle of Corinth" from the Civil War/War of Secession Era. In the alternate ending, the Confederates win at Corinth, helping to cover General Bragg's advance into Kentucky in 1862.

8. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Ya got all the time in the world, pal. Pop in and give us something to gnaw on when ya got it, we're starving for content lol

9. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Just putting this here too since it seems relevant. Will put more.

TITUP and Zoidberg12 like this.
  10. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

And this one.

Zoidberg12 likes this.
  11. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

This one.

Zoidberg12 likes this.
  12. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Aaand last one.

Zoidberg12 and New Cleo Genesis like this.
  13. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

14. shadow Well-Known Member

Great update a nice story about US-German interactions.

Alterwright and Zoidberg12 like this.
  15. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

I appreciate that, thank you. Tried to do get a good idea of the situation. I'll admit that it might be too optimistic in some areas, but I like it. Tried to make it somewhat morally gray. To me, while the cause for equality would be severely hampered in TL-191, it would not be completely abandoned. The Buffalo Soldier regiments would be far fewer in number and their stint in the history of the Army might be shorter, but their legacy would be equally as impactful.

16. Odinson Talk Nerdy To Me

Which nation was the CSA closest with before the Second Great War? I feel like the UK was since the 1880s, but I feel France under Napoleon III was its closest ally until it became the French Republic in 1872. Any thoughts on this?

Alterwright likes this.
  17. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

You mean who was the CSA's closest ally before the 1941 war? Well, I believe Great Britain arguably takes that spot. It would probably be a dark mirror to how closely the United States and Great Britain cooperated in our timeline during WWII. The CSA gained its independence thanks to the intervention of British and French, but it was, of course, due to British dominance of the seas that helped ensure the survival of the Confederacy twice, putting pressure on the United States by threatening its coasts.

France would be the Confederacy's second closet ally, regardless of whether it is ruled by an emperor or a duly-elected legislature or a king. With Napoleon III's intervention in Mexico a success, in part due to the victory of the Confederacy in the War of Secession in 1862, France has a stake in the Americas and would need an ally to ensure its interests remain secure, namely to check the United States. Even though a Napoleon III may have been instrumental in forging that alliance with the Confederacy, I feel the Third French Republic that took his place after the Franco-Prussian War would still seek ties with the Confederates --- again, I believe their interests in Mexico (whatever they may be) would still apply regardless of the government.

Odinson likes this.
  18. Gaius Julius Magnus Gone Fishin'

The Once and Future Kingdom of New England
    Britain was the primary partner. Probably partly realpolitik on the belief that the Royal Navy, the Canadians in the North, and Confederates in the South could check US expansion. References in the books even show the influence the alliance has on Confederate culture like military uniform colors and police pre-WW1 even look like British ones.

IIRC they even provided the info to the CS during the Second Great War that gave the Featherston the Superbomb.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Alterwright and Odinson like this.
  19. Odinson Talk Nerdy To Me

Thanks for the info. I'm currently reading the books. I've finished the first two in settling accounts, how few remain, and center can not hold. Currently half way through Blood and Iron. But I saw some mentions about France that made me think they might be closer.

Alterwright likes this.
  20. Gaius Julius Magnus Gone Fishin'

The Once and Future Kingdom of New England
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Freedom Party and Action Française felt a political kinship over wanting to get revenge on a historic enemy but I imagine Britain would be seen as the more practical ally and also the shared ancestry heritage of the Confederacy and the British isles.

ohlourdespadua and Odinson like this.