TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

I have a question: we may have a general idea of what uniforms Confederates wear for the army. What about the Air Force and, perhaps, what would be the “patches” for both bomber and fighter squadrons?

I have a question: we may have a general idea of what uniforms Confederates wear for the army. What about the Air Force and, perhaps, what would be the “patches” for both bomber and fighter squadrons?
The uniform is likely be similar or just as a copy of the US uniform from our timeline

Confederate air force is likely to stick with a certain shade of gray for a majority of their service dress to set them apart from the Army and Navy. As the the cut and style? Maybe a combo of OTL-American and British. Ultimately I feel like it should be a more "clean looking" uniform as befits the youngest branch of the armed forces.

As for patches for fighter and bomber squadrons thats really up to you. Confederate and US patches in that regard would have similar or identical themes in their patches - a good example being using cartoon characters. The cartoons may be different, but it doesn't change the fact that both sides are using them to identify squadrons. The European countries did the same thing their own degree as well, but some form of coat of arms are just as commonly used by the European countries.

Remember there was Brotherly love with Poland and Hungary throughout History of Europe right? I give you a question then wouldn't the CSA and Mormons had the same relationship in the Americas as they fought against the Union and have common goal as well to be separated from Philadelphia
Rebs and Mormons brothers to be?

Last edited:
Remember there was Brotherly love with Poland and Hungary throughout History of Europe right? I give you a question then wouldn't the CSA and Mormons had the same relationship in the Americas as they fought against the Union and have common goal as well to be separated from Philadelphia
Rebs and Mormons brothers to be?
Absolutely not. It was made quite clear that neither side cared overmuch for each other. There was a quite notable scene in The Victorious Opposition, I believe, where a Mormon envoy was meeting with Jake himself. Both said straight up front that they didn't like each other, and Featherston thought to himself that it was fine with him that the Yankees had to deal with this and not him. The implication being that he was certain the Mormons would revolt against the south just as easily, and the Jake would happily beat on them. I believe it also mentioned that Mormons in the CSA were just as unwelcome and suppressed as those in the USA. I don't have the books on hand at the moment, so I don't have exact quotes, but I do remember this quite clearly.

Absolutely not. It was made quite clear that neither side cared overmuch for each other. There was a quite notable scene in The Victorious Opposition, I believe, where a Mormon envoy was meeting with Jake himself. Both said straight up front that they didn't like each other, and Featherston thought to himself that it was fine with him that the Yankees had to deal with this and not him. The implication being that he was certain the Mormons would revolt against the south just as easily, and the Jake would happily beat on them. I believe it also mentioned that Mormons in the CSA were just as unwelcome and suppressed as those in the USA. I don't have the books on hand at the moment, so I don't have exact quotes, but I do remember this quite clearly.
Right. The Entente in the SGW especially seemed an alliance of nations and groups that are only on the same side because they share a common enemy. The British and the Confederates didn't like each other either, and I don't see the European Entente having anything in common save for opposition to Germany.

Confederate air force is likely to stick with a certain shade of gray for a majority of their service dress to set them apart from the Army and Navy. As the the cut and style? Maybe a combo of OTL-American and British. Ultimately I feel like it should be a more "clean looking" uniform as befits the youngest branch of the armed forces.

There would almost certainly be a regulation uniform, which very well might conform to the description above ... and then there's what the lads actually have on hand to wear.

I'd bet cash money that uniformity was an aspiration, rather than everyday reality for the Confederate States armed forces once the balloon went up on the Second Great War (Five year plan or no, there's only so much money in the kitty) and I would most definitely expect a startling amount of CS war material to have been pillaged from US arsenals & supply depots - I'm not certain if it were on this thread or no, but I once suggested that the Confederate States submarine service could very well have been issued captured US army uniforms (slightly altered) because there was a much, much lower chance of submariners being "caught in enemy uniform" - and if this sounds far fetched, then you might be interested to know that I borrowed this idea from WWII (German U-boat sailors at one point wore British uniforms captured at Dunkirk, repurposed for the Kriegsmarine).

My best guess would be that the CS Air Service (and even the CS Navy) would almost certainly wind up wearing uniforms much like those of the CS Army (barring service-specific insignia), because the land forces obviously have the highest priority and because CS industry simply can't afford to waste time fiddling with service-specific uniforms when they can be producing "One pattern fits all" in bulk.

Basically, don't expect sartorial splendour from Featherston' Confederacy, except in very small amounts.

Fairchild F-39 Bobcat.png

This thing, the Fairchild Bobcat with a radar mounted in the nose

Hopefully, they had better luck than the RL Luftwaffe did: the factory that produced the needed glues was razed to the ground in an RAF bombing raid. Thus, only a few were built...

Hopefully, they had better luck than the RL Luftwaffe did: the factory that produced the needed glues was razed to the ground in an RAF bombing raid. Thus, only a few were built...
Meh, good luck or bad luck, not that many could've been produced before the end of the war.

PA-61 Fox.png

A Palmetto Aviation Model 61E Fox of the 94th Night Bombardment Squadron stationed in Arkansas, Summer of 1943.

Palmetto Aviation's Model 61 bi-plane would be in fact a locally built licensed copy of a British designed plane from the Fairey Company under the same name, which the production rights would be granted to the Palmetto Aviation Company in 1927. Originally, these Confederate copies were to merely serve in civilian roles such as surveying, crop dusting, and some were used as barnstorming aircraft. At the same time, the Confederate Army operated a small batch (these planes being operated by a circus front organization), which this group under the command of then-Lieutenant Colonel Frank Maxwell Andrews (who would later go on to help form the Bomber Corps of the future CSAF) would conduct tests with these planes for the development of bomber tactics and formations. Later on, when the Confederate Air Force was formally created in 1934, 150 of the PA-61 Foxes would enter service as it's first tactical bomber as well as serving in other roles such as army co-operation, reconnaissance, and as trainers. In 1938, the Foxes would be phased out from service as light bombers in favor of the new Mule dive bombers. By then, Palmetto Aviation would make some substantial changes to the original British design as the installation of a new engine and a semi-enclosed cockpit. In addition to serving with the Air Force, substantial numbers would be used by the Confederate Navy's Air Service, serving as scouting and observation planes off of large warships as well from Caribbean Islands. In Air Force service during the SGW, the PA-61 would serve in a variety of roles, such as a basic trainer, reconnaissance, artillery spotting, and even in the roles of night bomber and anti-guerilla operations, which in the former role, would sneak on Union rear areas at night and cause tremendous devastation to them. In the latter, these planes would prove to be bane of the Black Guerilla's existence as they were used to seek out and attack them, or more commonly, report their positions to FPG units. Almost 1,600 PA-61s would be constructed by Palmetto Aviation between 1927 to 1942, besides the Confederate Air Force and Navy, other operators included Mexico, Guatemala, the Dominican Republic, Russia (all serving in Russian America), South Africa, and Costa Rica. This simple bi-plane would turn out to the Confederacy's longest serving and produced military aircraft, and would fight for the South until the very end.

Last edited:
Mk 8 Rocket.png

The 155mm Mark 8 Anti-Aircraft Rocket

With the bombing campaign against the Confederacy mounting, the USAF would employ tight formations for their bombers, which provided every bomber mutual protection from the intercepting planes of the Confederate Air Force. With this fact in mind, the Confederate Air Force would begin development in April 1943 of means to provide their aircraft to down the Union bombers without putting themselves at risk of the bomber's defensive armament. One of the weapons developed in this program would be the Mark 8, which weighed at 254 pounds total with a diameter of 155mm or 6.1 inches and a range of 1,200 yards, which was beyond the maximum effective range of USAF bomber's defensive guns, and the warhead weighed in at 90 pounds with a blast radius of 30 meters, which was enough down a B-17. The most innovative element of the Mark 8 would lie in it's Proximity Fuse tip, which means the weapon can detonate within proximity of a target. The weapon would enter service with Confederate Air Force units stationed in Virginia in March 1944, after nearly a year, which the air crews who used them would discover some short comings, such as it's large size only limiting most aircraft's capacity of carrying two Mark 8 rockets. In spite of those issues, their deadly potency, with it's proximity fuse, would be recognized and a scaled down variant, called the Mark 10, would soon be under development. However, the conflict would end before the Mark 10 could enter into production, as for the Mark 8, it's production would come to an abrupt end when on May 2, 1944, the factory that built it's motors would be destroyed in an air raid. During the short service, the Mark 8 would prove to be devastating against USAF bombers, but some were also used against ground targets.