TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

I spy an Italian Semovente influence it there! :D Well it makes sense since you're using an Italian made turret for the main tanks of the Confederates too. Want to carry over that kind of style to it I suppose. I kinda rely like the look of this one too! Its squat, flat, but looks foreign enough from the german inspired designs to make one say "hey yeah, that's a confederate barrel". Plus the Italian designs aren't as well known too. would have figured there would be a longer gun, but that may be for a late design thing. This thing looks like it can take on US tanks.

Designation "Armadillo" is cool too. You got a name for the Confederate main tank you made? I think the Confederate naming convention leans toward animals in general.

(Side note: Italy was actually neutral in both wars in the novels, to the annoyance of both the Central Powers and Entente. It stayed especially neutral in the Second Great War too, with Benito Mussolini not coming to power. So I say using Italian designs is a plus, since Italy's tank development in TL-191 would be especially behind.)
Yeah I borrowed a bit from a Semovente and a StuG because I don't want them to look too much like any countries tanks from OTL. The Armadillo is an assault vehicle and meant to attack fortified positions but it will evolve into a tank destroyer later.
I like using animal names and I think it works for the CSA, I named the six wheeled armor car the Badger the SPG the Armadillo but I didn't name the medium tank yet, if you have an idea for a name go ahead and post it.

I was thinking of maybe using canine names for the tanks, the way the Germans used cat names for their tanks.
So maybe wolf or Coyote?

Yeah I borrowed a bit from a Semovente and a StuG because I don't want them to look too much like any countries tanks from OTL. The Armadillo is an assault vehicle and meant to attack fortified positions but it will evolve into a tank destroyer later.
I like using animal names and I think it works for the CSA, I named the six wheeled armor car the Badger the SPG the Armadillo but I didn't name the medium tank yet, if you have an idea for a name go ahead and post it.

I was thinking of maybe using canine names for the tanks, the way the Germans used cat names for their tanks.
So maybe wolf or Coyote?

Wolf, Jackal, Husky or Coyote will do! I like the naming convention where they name them after dogs to parallel the German tendency to name their tanks after big cats. Maybe the one you made previously can be called the FV38 "Coyote" ("Fighting Vehicle 1938" or whatever numerical designation code you want to use for the Confederates). And the bigger tanks get called "Husky", "Wolf", or "Grey Wolf", while a lighter tank can be called "Jackal". Whatever the case its fine!

I mean the Confederates canonically called their transport aircraft "Alligator" and their prime fighter "Hound Dog", with their dive bombers being nicked named "Mule" or more the more derogatory "Ass-Kicker". So anything is good.

Wolf, Jackal, Husky or Coyote will do! I like the naming convention where they name them after dogs to parallel the German tendency to name their tanks after big cats. Maybe the one you made previously can be called the FV38 "Coyote" ("Fighting Vehicle 1938" or whatever numerical designation code you want to use for the Confederates). And the bigger tanks get called "Husky", "Wolf", or "Grey Wolf", while a lighter tank can be called "Jackal". Whatever the case its fine!

I mean the Confederates canonically called their transport aircraft "Alligator" and their prime fighter "Hound Dog", with their dive bombers being nicked named "Mule" or more the more derogatory "Ass-Kicker". So anything is good.
I like FV38 "Coyote" ("Fighting Vehicle 1938"), will use it and here's the Armadillo II armed with the same 6 Pdr gun as the Badger. I imagine the Amadillo II coming into action about a year after the war started and it had the 6pdr first and then a year or so later the Badger was introduced.

The Armadillo A2 was a Tank destroyer and produced to deal with the better Union tanks.
Armadillo II.png

So I'm thinking the CSA will designate armored cars "AC", tank destroyers "BK" for Barrel Killer and SV for assault guns SPG's, and SPAAG's. so the Armadillo I would be the SV39 and the Armadillo II would be the BK40 but their crews would refer to them as the "Dillo 1" and "Dillo 2"
Thoughts?

EDIT: This tank destroyer's official designation is BK40 Armadillo but unofficially, its called the "Dillo 2".

Last edited:
SPAAG SV41Black-Hound. Coyote with turret removed and a 3.7 cm auto-cannon on a rotating mount.

SPAAG SV40.png

The gun lost a little clarity when I shrunk it. needs an animal name, open to suggestions.

Last edited:
SPAAG SV40. Coyote with turret removed and a 3.7 cm auto-cannon on a rotating mount.

The gun lost a little clarity when I shrunk it. needs an animal name, open to suggestions.

Oh, its an Anti-Air variant then! Looks cool. I bet the gun can be used for anti-personnel and infantry support as well, at least unofficially, like when the Confederates are desperate. Interesting design here, like it! Where is the gun from?

I'm thinking of calling the SPAAG above "Bird Dog".

As opposed to a Hound Dog, right? Well related in the sense that the Hound Dog fighter was used to "track down and pursue" US fighters, the bird is meant to track and retrieve birds. Its a fitting name really for this design. SPAAG SV40 "Bird Dog", unless someone else has a different say.

I like FV38 "Coyote" ("Fighting Vehicle 1938"), will use it and here's the Armadillo II armed with the same 6 Pdr gun as the Badger. I imagine the Amadillo II coming into action about a year after the war started and it had the 6pdr first and then a year or so later the Badger was introduced.

So I'm thinking the CSA will designate armored cars "AC", tank destroyers "BK" for Barrel Killer and SV for assault guns SPG's, and SPAAG's. so the Armadillo I would be the SV39 and the Armadillo II would be the BK40 but their crews would refer to them as the "Dillo 1" and "Dillo 2"
Thoughts?

This makes sense as a way of getting away and differentiating the Confederate numerical naming designation from the US one, which probably be the same as in our timeline, just with vastly different models.

FV38 "Coyote" would be the main tank of the Confederates, with the chassis being used to either upgrade to to better models or make different ones.

AC for armored car, BK for barrel killer, SV for assault guns, self propelled guns, and self propelled anti-air guns - assuming SV means "special vehicle".

Heh I like that nickname for the SV39 and BK40. Dillo I and Dillo II it is, unless those barrel killer came out later in the war.

Oh, its an Anti-Air variant then! Looks cool. I bet the gun can be used for anti-personnel and infantry support as well, at least unofficially, like when the Confederates are desperate. Interesting design here, like it! Where is the gun from?
Yeah the Germans used their SPAAG's (Self Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun) against ground targets all the time. The gun came from an Ostwind, the first German tank to have an AA gun atop it, before that AA guns were usually towed and then later mounted on trucks and then half-tracks.

FV38L Stalwart. A light tank armed with a Hotchkiss 25mm gun.

FV38-w-25mm Stalwart.png

SV39 Flamethrower tank.

SV38-w-flamthrower.png

I figured Christie might have had better luck selling his suspension to the CSA ITL.

Last edited:
An interesting design for any potential Confederate barrels to be based off of would be the Hungarian copy of the German Panther. They called it the 44M Tas I believe.

IMG_7551.jpg

Only one prototype was produced, but it was destroyed when the Soviets invaded. Although very similar to the Panther, its design features are different enough I feel A design similar to this or incorporating certain features would make an interesting looking late-war Confederate tank that the Freedom Party Guards would no doubt try to pilot.

An interesting design for any potential Confederate barrels to be based off of would be the Hungarian copy of the German Panther. They called it the 44M Tas I believe.

View attachment 407972

Only one prototype was produced, but it was destroyed when the Soviets invaded. Although very similar to the Panther, its design features are different enough I feel A design similar to this or incorporating certain features would make an interesting looking late-war Confederate tank that the Freedom Party Guards would no doubt try to pilot.
I've done a few alternate versions of the 44 Tas in the past and your right it could make a good late war tank, er, uh...I mean barrel.

FV38 "Dingo". A light tank armed with a Hotchkiss 25mm gun.

View attachment 407970

With flamethrower.

View attachment 407971

I figured Christie might have had better luck selling his suspension to the CSA ITL.

Hey! A dedicated flamethower tank for the Confederates! The designs here look visually similar to a BT-5 or BT-7. Looks like fast little buggers. Patton would like them for sure if they were meant as "cavalry" tanks. Just these really fast light tanks meant to outflank shit.

FV44M Timber-Wolf. Late war barrel armed with a 17Pdr. cannon, considered the most dangerous CS barrel by Union forces.

FV44  Timber Wolf with 17 Pdr..jpg

An old pic of mine I reworked a little, mostly had to do with adding the 17 pdr.

Last edited:
Hey! A dedicated flamethower tank for the Confederates! The designs here look visually similar to a BT-5 or BT-7. Looks like fast little buggers. Patton would like them for sure if they were meant as "cavalry" tanks. Just these really fast light tanks meant to outflank shit.
I used a BT-2 and some bits from British and Japanese light tanks.

You have huh? Any designs that could match the Confederate mould?
Guess. :)

FV44 Timber-Wolf. Late war barrel armed with a 17Pdr. cannon, considered the most dangerous CS barrel by Union forces.

View attachment 407975

An old pic of mine I reworked a little, mostly had to do with adding the 17 pdr.

Oh now that is a cool name for a tank! And entirely appropriate considering the naming convention too. The 17 pdr. was a most powerful gun the Brits had right? This design looks like it can actually hold the gun with enough room to spare for the crew. Did you use the 44M Tas for this one? What bits did you add?

And I really like the name "Timber-Wolf" for this one. FV44 Timber-Wolf just rolls off the tongue. Its an older one you did? Not bad! Would it be the equivalent to a Tiger or King Tiger?

Oh now that is a cool name for a tank! And entirely appropriate considering the naming convention too. The 17 pdr. was a most powerful gun the Brits had right? This design looks like it can actually hold the gun with enough room to spare for the crew. Did you use the 44M Tas for this one? What bits did you add?

And I really like the name "Timber-Wolf" for this one. FV44 Timber-Wolf just rolls off the tongue. Its an older one you did? Not bad! Would it be the equivalent to a Tiger or King Tiger?
I originally redrew the turret, made it a little bigger and added an 88mm gun and a stowage bin to the rear. These changes made the turret look less Panther-ish and that seemed perfect for a CSA barrel. The 17 Pdr. I believe was the biggest gun the British mounted in a tank.

I like the name the Timber-Wolf and I would say this tank is more or less TTL's Panther, only the armor would be a little lighter but this would also make the tank a little more nimble and faster.
So good handling, good gun, decent armor and a cool name. :cool: