TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alterwright, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sierra Nagato-class Kuudere

They did mention hats like that, yes. In fact, i see Stetson type hats replacing peaked caps in the CS Army.

Further, Khaki varies in shade, so darker brown is plausible. If you look at WWII US and Germany uniforms, no two manufacturers made them to the exact same shade.

Danthefan28 and cortz#9 like this.
  2. Pangur The Cat Donor

Feck! They certainly were

cortz#9 likes this.
  3. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Well, we would all sincerely hope he's reading and listening!

Pangur and cortz#9 like this.
  4. Pangur The Cat Donor

Yes ans if he is please input Mr Turtledove!

Alterwright likes this.
  5. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Many of us on this thread and on other threads have lent some interesting ideas and even made some cool concepts for fleshing out the military of the Confederacy here, especially airplanes, tanks, and other things as well.

Pangur likes this.
  6. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Some have speculated that Mr Turtledove is a member here but prefers to remain incognito.

Alterwright and Pangur like this.
  7. Sierra Nagato-class Kuudere

I wouldnt be shocked. Its probably the largest collection of his audience anywhere

cortz#9 and Alterwright like this.
  8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Yeah more than likely.

9. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

Found this online and both seem to be pretty solid contenders for Confederate uniforms.
    [​IMG]

10. Allochronian Well-Known Member

cortz#9 likes this.
  11. Sierra Nagato-class Kuudere

Odinson and Jack Brisco like this.
  12. Pangur The Cat Donor

13. Tiro Well-Known Member

The fact that Nazi Germany also tailored its fair share of kepis also makes it logical to retain that particular piece of headgear, at least for the Confederate States of America (one might also suggest that the French Alliance helped keep Francophile military fashions front and centre to boot); I do suspect that metal cap badges would be removed for the duration of the conflict thought (and I do tend to agree that the Union uniform would benefit from a little alt-history twist to help make it just different enough to be memorable).

Having said that I have been more than favourably impressed by the artwork posted here and it would be extremely unfair of me to pretend otherwise!:)

pattontank12 likes this.
  14. Tiro Well-Known Member

In all honesty the best visual hook for the Freedom Party look is the "It COULD have happened here" aspect; taking elements from American History and classic Americana, then stewing them together with a heaping helping of vitriol to brew up a Southern-fried all-American Nazi Party should work very well to creep out audiences (at least US sympathetic audiences).

pattontank12, Kol and Polish Eagle like this.
  15. Soundwave3591 Member

In the book, the imagery evoked is, from what i gathered, SS uniforms in CSA gray. Rhode Island State Police uniforms seem to fit the imagery better:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odinson, Kol, Danthefan28 and 2 others like this.
  16. Soundwave3591 Member

I agree. I always pictured the US wearing Americanized versions of German uniforms, as the WWII pattern from real life dates from...well, WWII XD.

a good approximation i've found is Bundeswehr uniforms from the 1950's:
    [​IMG]

Odinson, Kol, Danthefan28 and 2 others like this.
  17. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

That's pretty good but Turtledove had the US invent the stalhelm before the Germans did so it was the Germans in TL-191 who copied the Americans not the other way around as far as the helmet went.

18. Pangur The Cat Donor

Does that matter all that much?

Kol likes this.
  19. Soundwave3591 Member

I was more referring to the cut of the Uniforms. I elaborate a bit in the US counterpart to this forum page.

Kol likes this.
  20. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Ah I see, never mind.:happyblush