TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Second SGW Confederate Barrel

"Drive to the East"
Hardcover pages 158-159

"What they had here was a company of Confederate barrels: big, snorting machines painted in butternut with swirls and splotches of dark green and dark brown..."

"Instead of going straight up and down, most of their armor was cleverly sloped to help deflect shells. And their turret guns were bigger and longer than those of the earlier models."

" 'That's a two-and-a-half inch cannon you've got there?'... 'Three inches, sir.'... Seventeen-pound shell.' "

That's all the text info I've found so far.

Second SGW Confederate Barrel

"Drive to the East"
Hardcover pages 158-159

"What they had here was a company of Confederate barrels: big, snorting machines painted in butternut with swirls and splotches of dark green and dark brown..."

"Instead of going straight up and down, most of their armor was cleverly sloped to help deflect shells. And their turret guns were bigger and longer than those of the earlier models."

" 'That's a two-and-a-half inch cannon you've got there?'... 'Three inches, sir.'... Seventeen-pound shell.' "

That's all the text info I've found so far.
A nice description there especially of the paint-job. Design-wise, could be Panther-ish, T-34-ish or Sherman-ish or something completely different.

Freedom Party Guards Platoon.

dd5vat7-add57be5-59c3-4845-ab99-8f3feba9d999.png

And Air Force.

dd6kkhp-636660a8-8bcb-40c3-a4a9-46b010997a98.png

Nit: Curtiss was mentioned as providing aircraft to the U.S.: A seaplane called a Curtiss-37 overflies the DE Josephus Daniels in The Grapple.

I just love the artistic talent shown here. :)

Few things that could be changed, in my opinion.
  • The Confederate Freedom Party Flag/ Flag of the Confederacy (1934-1944) should have 16 stars.
  • The roundel for the Confederate Air Force could/should be different. It shouldn't always just be the stars & bars or stars & cross, with or without the colors reversed.
  • It's plausible for the Thompson submachine gun, invented by a Southerner, to be considered a Confederate gun.
Now, if I could just see something similar for U.S. soldiers wearing OTL-Wehrmacht-inspired uniforms and their own versions of airplanes, that would be super-great!

Kentucky remained sympathetic to the North during the Civil War, and John Thompson went to Indiana University. I’d go so far as to say that he would have remained in the North. I believe the Confederate SMG would be similar to a Lanchester/MP34 type design. Additionally, the British Mk III helmet looks like something the South would have come up with during the SGW.

Kentucky remained sympathetic to the North during the Civil War, and John Thompson went to Indiana University. I’d go so far as to say that he would have remained in the North. I believe the Confederate SMG would be similar to a Lanchester/MP34 type design. Additionally, the British Mk III helmet looks like something the South would have come up with during the SGW.

The description of the SMG during Hipolito Rodriguez's POV scenes suggests its most similar to the MP18 or MP28, since it specifically mentions a wooden stock and a "snail" drum magazine.

The description of the SMG during Hipolito Rodriguez's POV scenes suggests its most similar to the MP18 or MP28, since it specifically mentions a wooden stock and a "snail" drum magazine.
Odd that the CSA would have a copy of a German SMG, maybe it was a captured gun?

Odd that the CSA would have a copy of a German SMG, maybe it was a captured gun?

Well, to be fair, this potential Confederate submachine gun might also be a copy of the British Lanchester Submachine-gun, which was itself a copy of the German MP-18/MP-28.

Both the Entente and the Central Powers, to their credit, would not be above refusing to copy the weapons of their opponents, if they saw something that was really good in them. I concede that one some things that neither side would want copy something from the other, but when it comes to weapons there seems to be some leeway and a level of pragmatism at play.

I do agree, however, that if the design was a copy of a German SMG, like the MP-18/MP-28, getting the designs and blueprints would be difficult if they try to get them from the Germans. The British might lend them captured German copies or, more likely, the Confederates captured sub-machineguns from the Americans that were originally copies of the MP-18 from Germany.

One guess is as god as another though! Though it is very helpful we do have a description of the gun!

Well, to be fair, this potential Confederate submachine gun might also be a copy of the British Lanchester Submachine-gun, which was itself a copy of the German MP-18/MP-28.

Both the Entente and the Central Powers, to their credit, would not be above refusing to copy the weapons of their opponents, if they saw something that was really good in them. I concede that one some things that neither side would want copy something from the other, but when it comes to weapons there seems to be some leeway and a level of pragmatism at play.

I do agree, however, that if the design was a copy of a German SMG, like the MP-18/MP-28, getting the designs and blueprints would be difficult if they try to get them from the Germans. The British might lend them captured German copies or, more likely, the Confederates captured sub-machineguns from the Americans that were originally copies of the MP-18 from Germany.

One guess is as god as another though! Though it is very helpful we do have a description of the gun!
The Lanchester wasn't made until 1941, the MP-18 1918 the last year of WWI, I don't think the Brits could copy and send copies of the M-18 to the CSA during the first Great War.
Didn't the Great War end in 1917 in TL-191?

The Lanchester wasn't made until 1941, the MP-18 1918 the last year of WWI, I don't think the Brits could copy and send copies of the M-18 to the CSA during the first Great War.
Didn't the Great War end in 1917 in TL-191?

Yup, it did end in 1917. Getting captured copies of the SMG to Confederates would be difficult, if not impossible.

Yup, it did end in 1917. Getting captured copies of the SMG to Confederates would be difficult, if not impossible.

I think the most direct reason that that weapon is used is because its a staple of images of Nazi police.

Now, here's a thought. What if its not a German design at all. TL-191 has, for obvious reasons, many weapons that were never created. I'll point out that the MP18 was, as the name suggests, a product of 1918. But the Great War here ends in 1917.

I like the art effort. I wish i could do that.

However, the platoon thing is probably incorrect. Having separate squads for each thing isn't really a wwii practice. You'd have a machine gun in each squad. A grenadier squad isn't needed because everyone has grenades, and a grenade launcher is carried by someone in a squad. And the barrel busters don't need so many men. A two man team per stovepipe is plenty.

I think the most direct reason that that weapon is used is because its a staple of images of Nazi police.

Now, here's a thought. What if its not a German design at all. TL-191 has, for obvious reasons, many weapons that were never created. I'll point out that the MP18 was, as the name suggests, a product of 1918. But the Great War here ends in 1917.
Then its not an MP-18 but a totally different SMG developed by the CSA in an alternate timeline.
We could call it the M-16. :biggrin: