TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alterwright, Aug 31, 2018.

1. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Joslyn?

2. rvbomally Russian Hacker

An almost-complete miniature of a Confederate Army soldier. I still need to fix some of the paint, put highlights on the gun, and add the decals on the jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Why'd you post it sideways? Other than that, it looks cool.

4. rvbomally Russian Hacker

It’s not showing up sideways on my browser. But I did post this from my phone.

5. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Nice! So, what's part of this model here? What's the gun? Looks promising so far.

6. rvbomally Russian Hacker

Almost all of it is the standard Tamiya US Army soldier that comes with the M41. I added two pouches to the front from a Dreamforce Games bits sprue.

The gun is a cut-down M1 Carbine, with a grip from an MG-42 and an extended magazine that’s just a piece of plastic I cut into shape. I then made a cast of this and recast it in epoxy putty, so I can make multiple copies of the same gun with ease.

7. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Nice!! So the gun is the M1 carbine with an MG-42-like grip and an extended magazine? I think @cortz#9 would be interested in a design like that! I do like your model there! Looks really similar to the picture below here!

The gun is the experimental US M2 Hyde.

8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Here's my first take on the M2 Hyde. I'm open to suggestions for improving the design rvbomally.

_TL-191_M1 Car.jpg

Alterwright likes this.
  9. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Say, this would be fully automatic wouldn't it? Portable too, right? How would you feel about a folding stock for this one< as a kind of modification for paratroopers?

450px-MiModtommy.jpg
    wirestock0525_zps55e14971.jpg

^^^ --- Something like these?

Matt Wiser, TedBacon12 and cortz#9 like this.
  10. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

I like it, might take a shot at one with a different folding stock.

11. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Hey, since we're talking about folding stocks, even thought about adding one to the Griswold? Would that work?

12. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Hmm, I'll think about it.

13. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

First take on a paratrooper version of the Gris.

+MP-4-sml.-cmpct..jpg

14. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

_compact_m1a1_m1928_thompson.png

_compact_m1a1_m1928_thompson_hybrid_by_caldwellb734-d7aa8z7.png

15. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Even as a slight modification, these look great! Not sure if it would shave off weight for the gun, but certainly looks way more portable now! Can definitely see this being a modification to the Thompsons for the US Army in the field in TL-191, just to give it some deviation from our time line.

16. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Nice! This one looks good too! I know the grip and stock are probably from an AK line of guns, but the look itself kinda reminds me of the Ruger-Mini 14 in a way. A rough comparison of course.

This would certainly make an already stable and handy gun even more portable for the Confederates! Seems like the Yankees can't catch a break in the firepower department :)

cortz#9 likes this.
  17. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

So here's a new topic. What kind of artillery do you guys think the Confederates would be rolling with? You think they'd have the Yankees outgunned in this department? What calibers and such?

18. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

The CS wouldn't out gun the US, they don't have the industry to do so. As for what types of guns, French and British designs I imagine and I would think they'd use the same calibers as the US so they could use captured ammo.

Alterwright likes this.
  19. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Yes, and no doubt that Featherston, as an artilleryman himself, would be absolutely livid at the fact his guns can't match the Yankees.

I can almost see that as a purposeful design feature in Confederate artillery - making sure the gun calibers match that of the Yankees just in case they take some of their shells and guns as prizes. Though it would probably be easier to just use the captured Yankee guns themselves to use their shells. If the Confederacy is truly limited in industry then looting and reusing captured equipment would be somewhat of a acceptable thing. In OTL the Germans used captured equipment like crazy. While a good chunk was used for second line duties and anti-parisan operations away from the front, a good portion of that material also found use on the front lines too. I think even in Normandy during the battles in the hedgerows the Germans used captured French Hotchkiss tanks to fight the Allies with.

Point being, while it would definitely play hell in Confederate logistics, the Confederate Army may use captured equipment. This includes Yankee artillery if they can get their hands on any.

By French and British guns, you mean like the British 18 per. or 25 per. guns right? Or models that would be roughly similar or even copied from the British or French?

20. MarchingThroughGeorgia Well-Known Member

In Settling Accounts, they mention that both sides use 105's. They probably use other calibers, but the 105 is probably the most common artillery caliber for both sides.

cortz#9 and Alterwright like this.