TL 191 DBWI: Turtledoves other works

So when people on this site talk about Harry Turtledove, alot of people usually talk about Timeline 191, in which the North wins. But what about Turtledoves other works. What are your thoughts on the other AH novels that Turtledove has written? popular ones like "Planet Battle" (ooc: Worldwar), and not so popular ones like "Darkness" (ooc: Darkness).

I just finish his Bombs Away part of his new series The Hot War that deals with NATO and the USSR fighting WW3 in 1951. Its alright, although my favorite book by him in The Guns of the South It was a rather enjoyable read, that also delved into the South winning the Civil War in great detail (Of the early parts of trying to found a new nation) His rare nonfiction works (Fort Pillow, Give me back my Legion) are also great.

I just finish his Bombs Away part of his new series The Hot War that deals with NATO and the USSR fighting WW3 in 1951. Its alright, although my favorite book by him in The Guns of the South It was a rather enjoyable read, that also delved into the South winning the Civil War in great detail (Of the early parts of trying to found a new nation) His rare nonfiction works (Fort Pillow, Give me back my Legion) are also great.
OOC: That sounds kinda...OTL-ish. This is a DBWI.

Last edited:
A fair enough point, but I sense a lot of people use this sub-forum for discussing real works...
OOC: I was mainly curious as to what Turtledove's Other works would look like if they were written in TL 191. For example. the Hot War Series would probably be about a war between America and Japan during the 1950s. And Guns of the South would probably be "Guns of the North."

The main reason I chose this forum was because it looked like most other DBWI's with similar topics were posted here rather than others.

I enjoyed The Lost and Abesent he did back in "97".
The US manages to buy chihuahua and sonora from the Empire of Mexico, and the South goes to war after a series of border incidents. The scene with Custer fighting J.E.B Stuart's forces in the Texas Panhandle, and the Unauthorized Regiment's victory in the Battle of Tombstone were amazing.
(This time i understood)