TL 191. Character Descriptions

I'd really like to know what some of the characters looked like in the Southern Victory Series.
Feel free to use photos of actors.

We can't think of Irving Morrell without thinking of this guy.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1977-018-13A,_Erwin_Rommel(brighter).jpg

One idea I've been considering in relation to General Morrell is that he ought to look like one of the actors cast to play Rommel, rather than the man himself - a pronounced "Family Resemblance" but not an exact doppelgänger.

Just my opinions. Some are close enough to how I viewed them:

3c15db4686695046893429c9c0ab4adb--the-guys-airplane.jpg

Hosea Blackford

starship_dean_norris.jpg
12916.jpg

Gordon McSweeney

Nighy-and-Olbricht2.jpg

Clarence Potter

4454564B00000578-4889704-image-a-19_1505519770689.jpg

Lucien Galtier

7331df3c0c5f9c259522b6cd153d5871.jpg

Reginald Bartlett

th

Scipio/Xerxes

Daniel%20Kaluuya-LMK-047588.jpg

Cincinnatus Driver

ashton-sanders.jpg

Cassius Madison

nicole-kidman-at-top-of-the-lake-china-girls-photocall-at-2017-cannes-film-festival-05-23-2017_1.jpg.w300h450.jpg

Anne Colleton

th

Jacob Featherston

jeter.gif

Walter McKenna

th

Jefferson Pinkard

66aeaedf846541de3c1a88c027913f59--mary-elizabeth-winstead-w-magazine.jpg

Flora Blackford (nee Hamburger)

I couldn't think of actors who would portray Saul Goldman, Arthur McGregor, Ferdinand Koenig, Sam Carsten, Chester Martin, Charles W. LaFollete, Al Smith, and other secondary characters.

One idea I've been considering in relation to General Morrell is that he ought to look like one of the actors cast to play Rommel, rather than the man himself - a pronounced "Family Resemblance" but not an exact doppelgänger.

Yes.

Last edited:
Hardy Kruger played Rommel in the ABC miniseries War and Remembrance, but that was in the late '80s.

A German movie about the Field Marshal had actor Ulrich Tukur play the Field Marshal:
_63879988_016384859-1.jpg

Jake Featherston's Voice:

So, this isn't really a physical description, but ever since reading the books, I have always imagined Jake Featherston's voice to sound like this, in the video below. A little more raspy, a little more southern, and a little more cynical, angry, and venomous in tone, but otherwise that is the voice that I always hear him having for some reason.

^^^ --- This is from the hit Halo show "Red Vs. Blue". Yes, I know it might not be the right voice. Everyone has a preference.

Clarence Potter - Great War: 1914-1917

When I read the Great War series as well as the American Empire series, the one immediate physical description that came to mind with him was Ricky Schroder's portrayal of Major Charles Whittlesey in the A&E movie "The Lost Battalion". Its a mental image that stuck ever since.

the-lost-Battalion-04.jpg

600px-LB_Whittlesey_M1911_3.jpg

lp2.jpg

^^^ --- Clarence Potter (Ricky Schroder - The Lost Battalion)

Lost-Battalion-Whittlesey.jpg
71K+q1rJ6xL._SX425_.jpg

^^^ --- The actual Charles Whittlesey

We can't think of Irving Morrell without thinking of this guy.

Irving Morrel: 1941-1944

This is a good point! Can't think of Morrel without thinking of Rommel. While I agree that it would be more than acceptable to picture him as one of the actors that played Rommel, I also think a few actors that never played Rommel can still fit the bill as a description for Irving Morrel.

When reading the Settling Accounts series, I always imagined Morrel to look something like Ed Harris. He never played Rommel, but I've seen comparisons of him looking like Rommel.

2.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 11.14.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 11.16.29 PM.png

^^^ --- Irving Morrel (Ed Harris)

Irving Morrel: 1941-1944

This is a good point! Can't think of Morrel without thinking of Rommel. While I agree that it would be more than acceptable to picture him as one of the actors that played Rommel, I also think a few actors that never played Rommel can still fit the bill as a description for Irving Morrel.

When reading the Settling Accounts series, I always imagined Morrel to look something like Ed Harris. He never played Rommel, but I've seen comparisons of him looking like Rommel.

View attachment 445476

View attachment 445479

View attachment 445481

^^^ --- Irving Morrel (Ed Harris)
Oh my god, if they ever adapted Southern Victory, this needs to happen.

Oh my god, if they ever adapted Southern Victory, this needs to happen.

Oh! You really think its a good match up then! Well if they ever do they better do it quick because Ed Harris isn't getting any younger. Again, its just what I imagine Morrel to look like, others have their own take on what he may look like. If we're really just trying to picture an "American Rommel" though, Harris is what I picture Morrel would look like.

hA47395D6.jpeg

^^^ --- Ed Harris as Morrel as Rommel :p

Armstrong Grimes and Yossel Reisen Jr. : 1941-1944

So I read the books a bit out of order, so it took me some time to realize that both Armstrong and Yossel were, in fact, very young soldiers in the US Army. As a result my first impression of Armstrong Grimes was that of an older grizzled sergeant, not a teenager or young adult out of high school. You can switch out the names for either actors.

Obergefreiter_Fritz_Reiser.png

^^^ --- Armstrong Grimes (Dominique Horwitz, Stalingrad)

600px-Stalingrad2.jpg

^^^ --- Grimes with Reisen, among the ruins of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 12.13.10 AM.png

^^^ --- Grimes, taking cover, Salt Lake City, Utah.

GeGe_Müller.png

^^^ --- Yossel Reisen Jr., nephew to Congresswomen Flora Blackford Hamburger (Sebastian Rudolph, Stalingrad). ( @Allochronian - decided on this one because I thought he would kind of look like a nephew to your version of Flora)

59057a16a545ce0bee3bb078994f967d.jpg

^^^ --- Grimes and Reisen, either in Utah or Canada, winter.

Stalingrad4.jpg

^^^ --- Grimes and Reisen, resting, either in Utah or Canada.

Just my opinions. Some are close enough to how I viewed them:

Eric-Stoltz-Net-Worth-600x516.jpg

Jacob Featherston

Hey, who is the actor's name for your Jake Featherston? I've seen him before? Also, what are your thoughts on Ricky Schroder as a young Clarence Potter during the Great War? (this actor played Major Charles Whittlesey in "The Lost Battalion" movie)

I have to say that Mr Schroeder certainly LOOKS perfect for Clarence Potter - though one also likes the idea of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in the role - and I have to say that very nearly all of your casting choices are extremely on-point Allochronian (my only serious quibble is with Mr Ralph Fiennes as Jefferson Davis Pinkard; he looks a bit too much of a Master Villain, where Pinkard is very definitely the sort of fellow who gets whistled up for fist-fights with Indiana Jones, rather than the one doing the whistling).

Pat-Roach.jpg

^^ In fact Mr Pat Roach, whom you might not know by name but who has an extremely distinguished record of service as a Heavy in various adventure films from the 1970s to the 1990s; he would appear to fit Jeff Pinkard's description as a meaty, red-haired bruiser quite exactly AND, as an extra bonus, was actually born in Birmingham (albeit the one in Old England, rather than Alabama). ^^

A lot of people usually go for James Gandolfini for Koening.

Oddly enough Chris Christie could work as well...\

Phillip Seymour Hoffman maybe...

Chris Christie as Ferdinand Koenig and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Saul Goldman sound very good to me!

You know something, Alterwright...IRVING MORRELL PLAYED BY ED HARRIS IS PERFECT!!! :)
I like your choices for Grimes and Reisen. Ricky Schroder is also a better choice. However, I also like the version of Potter that I found on DeviantArt with Featherston.

Sorry for not responding to your question about Featherston earlier. I couldn't reply for a few hours during that time.

ok....who is that actress?

Mary Elizabeth Winstead

I have to say that Mr Schroeder certainly LOOKS perfect for Clarence Potter - though one also likes the idea of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in the role - and I have to say that very nearly all of your casting choices are extremely on-point Allochronian (my only serious quibble is with Mr Ralph Fiennes as Jefferson Davis Pinkard; he looks a bit too much of a Master Villain, where Pinkard is very definitely the sort of fellow who gets whistled up for fist-fights with Indiana Jones, rather than the one doing the whistling).

^^ In fact Mr Pat Roach, whom you might not know by name but who has an extremely distinguished record of service as a Heavy in various adventure films from the 1970s to the 1990s; he would appear to fit Jeff Pinkard's description as a meaty, red-haired bruiser quite exactly AND, as an extra bonus, was actually born in Birmingham (albeit the one in Old England, rather than Alabama). ^^

Not bad for this version of Pinkard. I like it! Although, I did imagine him having longer, black-colored hair. My first choice for Pinkard was initially a fat version of Joseph Goebbles and then to Amon Goeth or someone similar in appearance, like Ralph Fiennes. I do concur with your assessment that Fiennes would be too "classical" or "Master Villain", as you say.

Jake Featherston's Voice:

So, this isn't really a physical description, but ever since reading the books, I have always imagined Jake Featherston's voice to sound like this, in the video below. A little more raspy, a little more southern, and a little more cynical, angry, and venomous in tone, but otherwise that is the voice that I always hear him having for some reason.

^^^ --- This is from the hit Halo show "Red Vs. Blue". Yes, I know it might not be the right voice. Everyone has a preference.

I've tried to imagine what Featherston's voice would be like. Contrary to popular perception, there are several different types of "Southern accent".

Even though I'm still undecided of what his voice would sound like to me, I did find some examples that could plausibly be used as the "Voice of Featherston"

I've tried to imagine what Featherston's voice would be like. Contrary to popular perception, there are several different types of "Southern accent".

Even though I'm still undecided of what his voice would sound like to me, I did find some examples that could plausibly be used as the "Voice of Featherston"

Hah, I like these! This gives a good range on the differences even in southern accents.

I believe Jake Featherston's accent would be closer either to the Appalachian or Virginian accents in the first two videos. I say this because Jake himself was born in Virginia, outside of a town supposedly somewhere near Richmond, the capital of the state. So he may have a twang to his voice.