TL-191: After the End

What about the flags of the rest of the ISC permanent council outside of China by 2021, plus Japan, Turkey, the Congo, and Persia?

What about the flags of the rest of the ISC permanent council outside of China by 2021, plus Japan, Turkey, the Congo, and Persia?
Oh man, this reminds me: I did some work on some flags for this TL a long time ago (2015), and I've been thinking about getting back to that recently.

EDIT: just checked and it looks like all the images I posted back then are lost due to image hosting issues, so if @David bar Elias is alright with it I think I'd like to go ahead with making a gallery of flags.

Last edited:
Oh man, this reminds me: I did some work on some flags for this TL a long time ago (2015), and I've been thinking about getting back to that recently.

EDIT: just checked and it looks like all the images I posted back then are lost due to image hosting issues, so if @David bar Elias is alright with it I think I'd like to go ahead with making a gallery of flags.

That would be fine. Thank you for your contributions.

Does the USA have interests in acquiring Greenland like in OTL? If so, have they ever made an official offer to Denmark?

It was briefly considered during the first term of the Dewey administration, but ultimately no formal offer was made.

In 2021, Greenland is still controlled by Denmark, as well as Iceland. Denmark also still holds the Danish Virgin Islands (OTL US Virgin Islands).

What happened to the following people:
Anthony Eden
Arthur Harris
Samuel Longstreet
John Nance Garner
Harold MacMillan
Hugh Gaitskell
Anthony Benn
John Redmond
W. T. Cosgrave
Georges Remi (aka Herge)
Charles De Gaulle
P. G. Wodehouse
A. A. Milne
Michael Flanders and Donald Swann

Arthur Harris, as in our world, emigrated to Southern Rhodesia, where he worked as a farmer, before enlisting in the 1st Rhodesia Regiment at the outbreak of the First Great War in 1914 and serving during the campaign in German Southwest Africa. Unlike in our world, Harris did not return to Britain in order to fight on the Western Front. Instead, after a short period of demobilization, Harris enlisted in the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment, which was raised to fight in the campaign in German East Africa. Harris served in East Africa until the end of the war in 1917.

Harris, like most British residents of Southern Rhodesia, did not take the defeat of Great Britain in the FGW well. The colony itself changed as well, with a wave of emigrants from Britain during the 1920s. Although Southern and Northern Rhodesia did not receive as many immigrants from Britain as Australia and New Zealand did during this period, it was enough to bolster the urban population of European expatriates in both African colonies.

Harris remained a farmer in Southern Rhodesia during the interwar years. At the outbreak of the Second Great War in 1941, Harris attempted to re-enlist in the new Rhodesian regiment being raised, but was turned down die to age. Instead, Harris joined a new paramilitary organization known as the Rhodesian Home Guard (RHG) which operated in both Northern and Southern Rhodesia. Harris rose to a position of command in the RHG, which was focused on internal policing during the war. After the end of the SGW, Harris retired from public service for good. He remained a farmer through the Rhodesian Turbulence (against them government of the unified former colonies of Northern and Southern Rhodesia) and after the political transition to Great Zimbabwe.

After the end of the SGW, the Rhodesian Home Guard would eventually develop into the Rhodesian National Guard (RNG), which committed numerous atrocities against civilians during the internal war against the Rhodesian Peoples Union (RPU). The RNG, by the end of the Turbulence, has a high number of ex-Confederate expatriates serving within its ranks. The RNG would be abolished by the first government of Great Zimbabwe.

What has the US done to reconcile with Native Americans up to the present?

The relationship between the different Native American and Alaska Native tribes with the US government is a controversial subject in the United States in TTL.

In TTL, there was a harsh conflict in Sequoyah during the interwar period, as the US authorities encouraged a wave of settlers into the former Confederate state. The Native American tribes in Sequoyah had been firmly allied with the CSA, and were viewed with hostility and suspicion by the US authorities after the state reverted to US control in 1917. Sequoyah also saw violence against the US authorities during the Second Great War, although not to the extent as Utah or Occupied Canada. Anti-US violence largely subsided in Sequoyah after the end of the SGW, with the total defeat of the CSA.

The fact that the Native Americans in Sequoyah had been public Confederate loyalists under US rule in 1917-1944 did little to gain those particular tribes sympathy from the US public during the first postwar generation.

-
In 2021, the overall situation of the Native Americans in the USA is somewhat better in comparison to OTL, in terms of economic well-being. During the Humphrey administration, the US government finally began to address long-standing socio-economic problems faced by the Native American population. In the 1980s, the Reynolds administration encouraged efforts by different Native American and Alaska Native tribes to preserve their respective languages and cultures. Reynolds also lent his personal support to the creation of the state of Nunavut out of the old Northwest Territories, although Nunavut was only admitted to to the Union in 1989. In 2021, Native Americans and Alaska Natives serve in the US military at the same rate as the rest of the population.

In spite of the overall better economic situation for Native Americans in TTL in comparison to our world, dealing with the historical experience of the different Native Americans is if anything more polarized compared to our world, which is not made easier by the reality of past conflicts. For example, from what I recall of the series, the US military response to hostile Native American tribes in the late 19th Century was harsher in comparison to our world; there is also the legacy of conflict in interwar and wartime Sequoyah. In 2021, there has not really been a coming to terms in US society with how the Native Americans were treated historically.

There was a fierce debate in US academic circles, beginning in the 1970s, if the historical policies of the US government towards the Native Americans were comparable at all to what occurred in the CSA during the Destruction. There is an unfortunate tendency (by no means universal) in some areas of US academia and from some popular writers to project all negative or problematic aspects of US history on the former CSA, even in 2021.

In 2021, most US citizens will react with anger at any comparison between the historical treatment of the Native Americans in the United States and what occurred in the former CSA during the Destruction.

Last edited:
I have the same question. Also, why does Nunavut (OTL Nunavut + most of Northwest Territories) exist? Hasn't the US not had a super keen relationship with the natives? I felt like it would have been named "Custer" or "Roosevelt".

If the US in TTL had formed a state from the former Northwest Territories during the first generation after the end of the SGW, then it would have likely been called Roosevelt, or after another famous US historical figure. By the time Nunavut was admitted to the Union in 1989, the name of the state reflected both the priority of local residents and the support by the sympathetic Reynolds and Enos administrations.

Since there is no Lincoln memorial, is there a Theodore Roosevelt memorial instead, since in TTL he is the greatest president in the history of the United States?

Also, what do the Canadians and Southerners think about TR?

The relationship between the different Native American and Alaska Native tribes with the US government is a controversial subject in the United States in TTL.

In TTL, there was a harsh conflict in Sequoyah during the interwar period, as the US authorities encouraged a wave of settlers into the former Confederate state. The Native American tribes in Sequoyah had been firmly allied with the CSA, and were viewed with hostility and suspicion by the US authorities after the state reverted to US control in 1917. Sequoyah also saw violence against the US authorities during the Second Great War, although not to the extent as Utah or Occupied Canada. Anti-US violence largely subsided in Sequoyah after the end of the SGW, with the total defeat of the CSA.

The fact that the Native Americans in Sequoyah had been public Confederate loyalists under US rule in 1917-1944 did little to gain those particular tribes sympathy from the US public during the first postwar generation.

-
In 2021, the overall situation of the Native Americans in the USA is somewhat better in comparison to OTL, in terms of economic well-being. During the Humphrey administration, the US government finally began to address long-standing socio-economic problems faced by the Native American population. In the 1980s, the Reynolds administration encouraged efforts by different Native American and Alaska Native tribes to preserve their respective languages and cultures. Reynolds also lent his personal support to the creation of the state of Nunavut out of the old Northwest Territories, although Nunavut was only admitted to to the Union in 1989. In 2021, Native Americans and Alaska Natives serve in the US military at the same rate as the rest of the population.

In spite of the overall better economic situation for Native Americans in TTL in comparison to our world, dealing with the historical experience of the different Native Americans is if anything more polarized compared to our world, which is not made easier by the reality of past conflicts. For example, from what I recall of the series, the US military response to hostile Native American tribes in the late 19th Century was harsher in comparison to our world; there is also the legacy of conflict in interwar and wartime Sequoyah. In 2021, there has not really been a coming to terms in US society with how the Native Americans were treated historically.

There was a fierce debate in US academic circles, beginning in the 1970s, if the historical policies of the US government towards the Native Americans were comparable at all to what occurred in the CSA during the Destruction. There is an unfortunate tendency (by no means universal) in some areas of US academia and from some popular writers to project all negative or problematic aspects of US history on the former CSA, even in 2021.

In 2021, most US citizens will react with anger at any comparison between the historical treatment of the Native Americans in the United States and what occurred in the former CSA during the Destruction.
In light of recent events unfolding, did the US continue the residential school system in Canada after they had conquered it? What were relations overall between the US govt. and their newly conquered indigenous Canadians like ITTL?

Since there is no Lincoln memorial, is there a Theodore Roosevelt memorial instead, since in TTL he is the greatest president in the history of the United States?

Also, what do the Canadians and Southerners think about TR?

There is a Theodore Roosevelt Memorial in Washington, DC. It was built after the end of the Second Great War, and is located roughly where the Lincoln Memorial is located in our world. The monument, and the accompanying statue of Roosevelt, is built in the American Heroic style.

In 2021, there is a monument to Abraham Lincoln in Washington, DC. It was built during the Humphrey administration.

-
In 2021, Theodore Roosevelt is not necessarily viewed positively either by most Canadian-Americans or residents of the Midsouth. This is not really the kind of thing brought up in polite company, given how popular Roosevelt still is with the rest of the US public.

In light of recent events unfolding, did the US continue the residential school system in Canada after they had conquered it? What were relations overall between the US govt. and their newly conquered indigenous Canadians like ITTL?

The first question may be better answered in one of the other TL-191 threads.

-
In TTL, relations between the US military authorities and the various First Nations groups in Occupied Canada might be best described as neutral. As long as members of different indigenous groups did not engage in anti-US activities, the US authorities generally stayed out of local indigenous affairs.