TL-191: After the End

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by David bar Elias, Aug 17, 2008.

1. CaliBoy1990 A bright future is still possible! =)

Yeah. Truth is, even Vicksburg and Jackson weren't real important in the '40s, and they were two of the state's larger cities(with the latter being the state capital, of course). Turtledove had the right idea with the U.S. Army going thru Georgia and Alabama, I think, given the higher proportion of industry in both those states(especially for AL with the iron works in Birmingham and the rocket factory in Huntsville).

By the way Dave, if you're out there, I would like to apologize again for the poorly thought-out comment I wrote out last month.....I hope I didn't offend you on accident.

2. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

No Islamist revolution in TTL, although there is still social unrest due to fluctuating energy prices and political liberalization.

It's less of an issue for the US in TTL, since they have access to far larger petroleum reserves in TTL. International energy policies will feature in the next update though.

Mostly to themselves.

You're welcome!

As other jycee and Flubber have pointed out, there is no real equivalent to OTL Rock in TTL. To be fair, I did not really go into a lot of detail about American (or world) culture in the first post. I may post a redone version of the first post in the future, but that wouldn't be for some time after I post the 2000s.

I'm afraid I haven't really gotten to chance to visit that thread. :eek:

No worries.

3. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

^ A redone version would be interesting. :) For one thing I felt the 1950's especially were overlooked. So I'd be cool for that decade to be covered in much more detail.

David, did you check out the Photo's from Timeline-191 thread yet? You could get some inspiration there if you want.

4. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

It's much less prominent in TTL due to the lack of a national US market (even before the Second Great War), and the devastation suffered by the South during the conflict itself.

Although I didn't go into enough detail, folk music enjoyed a spell of popularity during much of the 1960s (before the Fourth Pacific War), but most of the influence for folk's popularity came from outside the former Confederacy.

Hmm, I don't believe that I have covered Jamaican culture as much as I should have; its influence on US music will certainly feature in the last update. Not for any equivalent of rock, but for something else.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. Vexacus Banned

Is there an updates-only version of this thread as trying to find the updates amongst 90 pages is more than a little difficult

6. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

7. Vexacus Banned

8. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

^ Your welcome. :)

9. manofsteelwool Well-Known Member

President/Governor Bob Marley? :D

10. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

Governor Marley? This HAS to happen, along with him being a musican like OTL of course. HAS to you hear me! :D:p

11. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

Too convergent. :eek:

12. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

Then again, one could argue Turtledove would have done it. ;) I mean he had Louis Armstrong in the Settling Accounts books, so this doesn't seem to far fetched.

13. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

[​IMG]
    Leo Enos (S-MA)/Alfred Turnbull (S-ON): 360 EV
    Archibald Young (D-MN)/Nick Collins (D-NJ): 141 EV
    John Smith (R-CA)/Michael O'Connor (R-MY): 106 EV

Historyman 14 and Das Amerikan like this.
  14. Zoidberg12 Well-Known Member

Another excellent election map Blue. :D Keep up the good work.

On that subject what elections haven't you done for After the End? I think 1992 was missing some VP candidates, and I don't think you did 1996 either.

15. Turquoise Blue Blossoming Tibby!

I'm redoing 1992 next, and no, I haven't done 1996. 1980 needs to be redone, since its hard to get the GOP to a electoral majority without an outright landslide.

16. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Odd popculture-related question, but what would be the proverbial good sci-fi horror movie in late 20th century TL-191 ? What would be their Alien ?

17. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there's been a science-fiction horror film produced in TTL that's equivalent (at least, not yet).

In fact, the closest equivalent to Alien in TTL isn't a movie but a musical. From the 1980s update:

18. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

I remember that one. :p But I meant serious horror, not a musical horror comedy. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  19. jycee Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the proverbial Sci Fi film of OTL be Star Wars and not Alien. At least in terms of cultural impact? (Personally I prefer Alien, but it is not the cultural landmark that Star Wars was).

There doesn't seem to be ab equivalent of Star Wars yet. TTL's films, as described by David, still sound very New Hollywood / New Wave-y despite the prominence of Sci Fi, Spec Fic, Fantasy genres.

I wonder if the Marketing game changer will occur in 2000s.

A redone version of the 50s would be awesome if you ever have time to do it. You wen't into very specific detail in the 60s (there were a few single year posts), but filling in the culture section would be really cool.

I'm sensing TTL's version of Reggae / Ska / Calypso etc etc is about to make big impact.

Which also brings up the question of how has Africa influence Europe culturally? Africa has kept much stronger ties with Europe, especially Portugal and Germany with some of their colonies. Some African countries should be much better developed in TTL than in OTL. They are bound to have some impact. African genres of music (or African inspired genres) should be become rather influential.

Das Amerikan likes this.
  20. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Could you please read more carefully next time ? :rolleyes:

I wrote "proverbial good sci-fi horror movie", not "proverbial good sci-fi movie".

Indeed. The whole "Endurance Film" era that David mentioned is really reminescent of the OTL New Hollywood period.

Yes.