TL-191: After the End

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by David bar Elias, Aug 17, 2008.

1. CaliBoy1990 A bright future is still possible! =)

Yep, the Japanese aren't looking too good to me, either. And maybe the revolutionaries will play more of a helping hand in all this as well? :D

As for videogames, keep in mind that they were invented right here in the U.S. IOTL so it's pretty likely the same could very well happen here, too.

2. lord caedus Very legal and very cool

I just realized that you have ACT & Northern Territory as provinces in Australia. I don't know if that's the case ITTL (the search function is acting up again), but just letting you know that the RCS has an "Australia territory" color.

3. Hawkeye Source?

Ha! ......

4. Kuamong Well-Known Member

Awesome update. Now we get to wonder how the CDS is going to take down Japan. That island hopping campaign may just happen yet.

5. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Incidentally, I've just found this at Clavework Graphics. A post-SGW Texan Screaming Eagle ?

[​IMG]

Maybe someone read your TL, DBE, and really liked it. :D It's a pretty nice-looking warbird...

6. wingman Major Hawk Hunter, U.A.A.C

i just found this thread.(still reading it.) is they an update only thread somewhere?

subcribed.:cool:

7. Arkhangelsk Gay Mexamerican

Hehe indeed that's the one I'm using, it's beyond me that I never noticed I had omitted the Australian territories in color...my bad. :eek:

Here's the latest version of the map, at the end of 1968.

world JUN1968 globe TL191.png

8. Archangel Battery-powered Bureaucrat

Good update, David!:)

TTL Republicans, with their Norther Strategy will become more influenced by European ideas.

9. Archangel Battery-powered Bureaucrat

Good map, Arkhangelsk!:)

10. Arkhangelsk Gay Mexamerican

Thanks! :)

11. CT23 Well-Known Member

Was it said what happened to Pinkards two adopted sons (Willie and Frank I think)?

12. Mac Gregor Well-Known Member

What do y'all think American culture looks like during the 1960's ITTL? How about the standard of living?

13. Poor Little Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Very nice update, David!! Quite worth the wait. I look forward to more of the same quality. And, I hope, you'll be able to contribute enough time and thought to that as soonas possible.

14. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

Thank you for the compliments everyone (and thanks for the great maps Archangelsk)!

"1969" later this week.

15. Richter von Manthofen Gnome Fighter Ace

First: Thanks for an interesting read.

I must admit that I had done things differently, but Turtledove devoted not much into developing the world outside North America.

Looking forward to see how the world evolves.

Concerning Austria Hungary: check out the idea of Aurel Popovici: United States of Greater Austria - It was something that was really considered (briefly ;))

It would solve some problems ITTL.

I am wondering how so many states with different cultures work together in the IM... ;)

Ukraine and belorussia should by now have adopted a more german aligned culture - and they were and are not really friends of the russians, so I am wondering if there is potential for further conflict - especially as the US have now (Russi) a direct overlap with the German sphere of influence.

BTW German and Austrian companies should have a great deal of influence in the Osman Empire (concerning they were Allies from 1915 on, I think it were German/Ausrtian firms who modernized Turkey) - So I have a bad feeling not knowing how Turkey froke away from the alliance.

And how did italy get Tunesia and the former french and British Posessions in Somalia?

16. Arkhangelsk Gay Mexamerican

No prob Dave, I can't wait to read 1969! :D

17. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

I hope what I've written is plausible, for TL-191.

I think there might have been a brief reference of a "United States of Austria-Hungary" in the final book. For consistency's sake, I've struck to referring to the country as "Austria-Hungary."

For the most part, the political problems that affected the empire before the First Great War in TTL have been settled, though problems remain.

The IM is far from monolithic, in spite of the propaganda from Brazil and the Ottoman Empire. The Independence Movement, by the end of the century, will be divided into several major factions.

Although the Russians and Germans still heavily dislike each other in TTL (as of 1969), neither country wants another major war.

It happened gradually in TTL, though I haven't given much thought to the process.

The Italians were pro-Central Powers during both Great Wars in TTL, but neutral. Had they entered the Second Great War, they would have gained more territory.

Speaking of "1969", I'm afraid that that year still isn't completed. I should have it done by Monday evening.

18. Arkhangelsk Gay Mexamerican

It's alright, please take your time, I think we're a patient bunch, either way I eagerly await Monday evening. :)

19. Vexacus Banned

While this update totally rocked, I sadly forsee the Japan of this TL being reduced to the same territory as the Japan of OTL

20. Fenrir_Angerboda Guitar Dad Dads you

alright, seriously, you bring this up all the time.

Give us Two good Reasons why the USA should let Japan keep any part of their Empire?/