TL-191: After the End

I have the feeling Disney doesn't exist ITTL due to the fact his father was from Canada, and more from so the fact that he's never mentioned once in the books.
Also, considering that Tex Avery is from Texas, western animation would be completely different from the 1940s and onwards. In fact I don’t think that anyone, except maybe the Fleischer Brothers, would still be in an animation career in TL-191.

Another question I have for you @David bar Elias regarding animation is what happened to these figures in TL-191 (all born before the OTL figure cutoff date 1915-1920):
-Walt Disney
-Max Fleischer
-Dave Fleischer
-Tex Avery
-Bob Clampett
-Chuck Jones
-Friz Freleng
-William Hanna
-Joseph Barbera
I’m writing with the caveat that what follows is not necessarily what Turtledove himself imagined, but I’d the case in TTL. My reply will be divided into multiple parts.

-
The analogue in TTL to Tex Avery was Frederick Avery, born on a slightly different date in comparison to our world. He cans of age during the defeat of the CSA in the First Great War, the crises of the interwar years, and the rise of the Freedom Party. He joined the CS Army before the Second Great War, and was killed in combat in Ohio during Operation Blackbeard.

-
The analogue in TTL to Walter Lantz, of the same name, was born on a slightly different date in comparison to our world. He never developed an interest in art. He joined the US Army in 1917, but the First Great War ended before he could see combat. He spent the rest of his life working in New Rochelle, New York, except during the Second Great War, when he found work in a barrel manufacturing plant.

-
Jay Ward doesn’t exist.

-
The analogue in TTL to Max Fleischer, of the same name, was born on a slightly different date in comparison to our world. His family, as in our world, immigrated to the United States from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Unlike in our world, Fleischer’s father did not lose his business as a tailor for earthly clients, and he grew up in a comfortable household. Fleischer earned a law degree, and spent the rest of his life in New York City as a lawyer specializing in maritime law.
Found this by scouring the thread.

What became of Horace Wilson and Jack Carter of the Tarkas Estate?

This is what I previously wrote about the analogue to Edgar Rice Burroughs in TTL, slightly edited.

-
The analogue in TTL to Edgar Rice Burroughs, of the same name, was born on a slightly different date in comparison to our world. Burroughs succeeded in getting into West Point, in contrast to his counterpart from our world. Although he successfully graduated from the academy, underlying health problems prevented Burroughs from active service. He served as an instructor at a West Point until the outbreak of the FGW in 1914, when he was invited to serve within the War Department. During the FGW, Burroughs served on serval joint military-civilian boards that were responsible for overseeing the wartime system of rationing. Burroughs remained at the War Department until 1921, when he was among those forced into retirement by the Sinclair administration. Burroughs worked in a variety of civilian jobs for the rest of his life, but never became a popular writer.

What became of Horace Wilson and Jack Carter of the Tarkas Estate?

In the TL-191 series, Horace Wilson lead the successful vote of no confidence that brought down the government of Winston Churchill at the end of the Second Great War. Wilson then formed a caretaker government that ended the war with the Central Powers.

In TTL, the government of Horace Wilson signed the Treaty of Aachen, which formalized the territorial losses and military restrictions of the surviving members of the Entente. Wilson declined to stand for election as prime minister in his own right, because of the deep unpopularity of the Conservative Party. The first postwar elections in Great Britain in 1947 resulted in a landslide victory for the Labour Party.

Horace Wilson retired from political life after leaving office in 1947. He declined several offers to write his memoirs.

What stopped the 2RCW from becoming a proxy conflict between Japan and the USA? Its not like any other nations were coming to help the Tsarists and a US allied Russia would be disadvantageous to Tokyo.

In the TL-191 series, Horace Wilson lead the successful vote of no confidence that brought down the government of Winston Churchill at the end of the Second Great War. Wilson then formed a caretaker government that ended the war with the Central Powers.

In TTL, the government of Horace Wilson signed the Treaty of Aachen, which formalized the territorial losses and military restrictions of the surviving members of the Entente. Wilson declined to stand for election as prime minister in his own right, because of the deep unpopularity of the Conservative Party. The first postwar elections in Great Britain in 1947 resulted in a landslide victory for the Labour Party.

Horace Wilson retired from political life after leaving office in 1947. He declined several offers to write his memoirs.

Why general elections were postboned to 1947 instead helding already in 1945 like in OTL? Or is this typo?

Why general elections were postboned to 1947 instead helding already in 1945 like in OTL? Or is this typo?

The 1945 British general election was delayed because of the chaos stemming from the German nuclear attacks against London, Brighton, and Norwich in 1944, followed by the collapse of the Conservative-Silver Shirt Coalition and the end of the Second Great War. The caretaker government of Prime Minister Horace Wilson was also a government operating under martial law. The delay of the general elections until 1947 did nothing to boost the already deeply unpopular Conservative Party.

The Labour Party, reconstituted as a legal political party, won the special 1947 general election in one of the biggest landslides in British political history, and would hold uninterrupted power for over four decades, before the emergence of a successful conservative party in the form of the Progressive Liberal Party in the late 1980s.

The Conservative Party never recovered from its loss in the 1947 general election, and never regained the trust of an electorate that remembered the Conservative Party for its role in the tyranny of the Coalition regime, and remembered the Coalition for the catastrophic loss of the Second Great War.

What stopped the 2RCW from becoming a proxy conflict between Japan and the USA? Its not like any other nations were coming to help the Tsarists and a US allied Russia would be disadvantageous to Tokyo.

The Japanese military regime that was in power during the Second Russian Civil War didn’t view the Romanov Dynasty or the Republican revolutionaries as possible allies against the USA. The Japanese military regime also assumed that Russia would remain an unfriendly rival or enemy of the USA, no matter which faction won the Second Russian Civil War.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't part of Great Britain occupied by the Germans after GW2?

Great Britain was not subject to a German military occupation after the end of the Second Great War. The German Empire did maintain a military occupation of northeastern France throughout the first generation after the end of the Second Great War.

This is more of a sociological question, but why did Italy, Portugal, and Germany decide to federated(or equivalent) instead of decolonizing.

By the 1960s and 1970s, the leadership of the German Empire decided that it would be more expedient to move away from direct colonial rule to a new political arrangement that would allow for continued economic control without the expense of political administration, while also addressing the growth of nationalist and pro-independence movements in different colonies. By 2023, the German Economic Association (DWV) has replaced the former system of colonial rule in most of the former German Empire. It’s analogous to the Commonwealth of Nations in our world, though with continued high levels of German political, economic, and military influence. Some former German colonies in Africa were ultimately directly annexed as full constituent members of the German Empire.

The Portuguese Federation emerged in the 1960s as a political compromise intended to keep the old Portuguese Empire together while allowing for political decentralization. By 2023, the different members of the Portuguese Federation have autonomy in most domestic affairs, although the Federal Parliament in Lisbon is responsible for national defense and foreign affairs.

The Italian Empire was never a federation in TTL. By the 1970s, the Italian government extended citizenship to all people residing in the empire. The Italian Empire did ultimately withdraw from the territory of what became the Somali Republic, although the areas of Somaliland and Puntland from our world remained under Italian control.

Overall, the process of European decolonization was more drawn out after the end of the Second Great War than after the end of World War II in our world. This was partially because of the lack of anything comparable to the Cold War in our world.

Last edited:
I’m assuming that the Jeb Stuart Jr. shown in the TL-191 series is an analogue to his OTL counterpart of the same name.
I know it's been almost a year since you responded to this, but the problem with assuming that as such is that it raises more questions than it does answer, such as ,"What happened to the REAL Jeb Stuart Jr?" Because, once again, the POD should not have affected his birth. That's my honest opinion, so feel free to disagree with me. This is why I'm in the camp that he is the real-life historical figure. I'm willing to give Dr. Turtledove the benefit of the doubt because it's not the first time he's gotten the birthdates and ages of characters wrong in the series, real or fictional; as well as marking dates and timespans of and between characters. I only thought of my response to your response recently just now.

Without American rule over the Philippines and the devastating effects of WWII IOTL, does Spanish become/remain much more widely spoken as a co-official language and lingua franca alongside Japanese? Or does it become stigmatized as it was in parallel to OTL due to wanting to break from its Spanish colonial past?

Last edited:
With American rule over the Philippines and the devastating effects of WWII IOTL, does Spanish become/remain much more widely spoken as a co-official language and lingua franca alongside Japanese? Or does it become stigmatized as it was in parallel to OTL due to wanting to break from its Spanish colonial past?

By the beginning of the Fourth Pacific War in 1967, Spanish is not widely spoken in the Philippines.

Just wondering what happened to Julia McGreggor, and why wasn't she given custody of Alec after the Second Great War?

In the TL-191 series, Julia McGregor ultimately married a man named Kenneth Marble. Following the suppression of the anti-US uprising in Rosenfeld, the US authorities refused to give custody of Alec Pomeroy to the Marble family, because of suspicions about Julia McGregor Marble’s support for the anti-US uprising.

Julia McGregor Marble tried several times to gain custody of Alec Pomeroy after the end of the Second Great War, which ended in failure. By the time Pomeroy graduated from the Rock Island Military Academy in 1954, he wanted nothing to do with his remaining family in Manitoba. Julia McGregor Marble died of natural causes in 1984.

By 2023, there has been limited correspondence between members of the Marble family and the descendants of Alec Pomeroy from his three failed marriages. The extended Marble family still lives in Manitoba.